PDA

View Full Version : 1st Custom build Lr

cuervo_gold
03-04-10, 11:06
Hello everyone, i need some info on what an Ar lower receiver is classified as. Hand gun? or long gun (rifle)? just going out of state to a gun show and was looking on getting one.

jatienza
03-04-10, 11:21
That's a very good question. I would think it would be a rifle. I curious why you need to the know the answer to this question for traveling to a gun show. Both require a gun transfer from state to state.

Iraqgunz
03-04-10, 13:37
If the lower is completely stripped then you must be at least 21, and you cannot purchase it out of state unless you go through a dealer (transfer). If it is assembled then it is classified as a rifle and you should be able to purchase it as any other long gun assuming that you live in a normal state.

citizensoldier16
03-04-10, 13:52
Iraqgunz is correct. Fully assembled lower receivers are classified as rifles. Stripped lowers are classified as pistols.

cuervo_gold
03-04-10, 17:06
That's a very good question. I would think it would be a rifle. I curious why you need to the know the answer to this question for traveling to a gun show. Both require a gun transfer from state to state.

I thought that you only needed a transfer on handguns

cuervo_gold
03-04-10, 17:06
Well thanks to all for your help

Whootsinator
03-04-10, 23:04
I thought that you only needed a transfer on handguns

This varies state to state. Some states allow rifles to be purchased from NEIGHBORING STATES only without transfer. Some do not. Do your research before attempting.

jatienza
03-04-10, 23:55
Orinal quote by Whootsinator:

"This varies state to state. Some states allow rifles to be purchased from NEIGHBORING STATES only without transfer. Some do not. Do your research before attempting."

In the state of Georgia, that is a no no.

bobvila
03-05-10, 01:51
Orinal quote by Whootsinator:

"This varies state to state. Some states allow rifles to be purchased from NEIGHBORING STATES only without transfer. Some do not. Do your research before attempting."

In the state of Georgia, that is a no no.

Never heard of this. Can you give some info on this?

As far as I know you can buy a long gun from Fl if you are a GA resident.

jatienza
03-05-10, 08:02
Purchasing of firearms:

Georgia has only 2 laws that regulate the purchasing of firearms. All other purchasing laws come from Federal law. The BATFE has a reference page that explains those laws (at that site, when the BATFE says "licensed" they mean firearm dealers and "unlicensed" means private individuals).

Straw Purchase / Anti-Bloomberg Law - Any person who attempts to solicit, persuade, encourage, or entice any dealer to transfer or otherwise convey a firearm other than to the actual buyer, as well as any other person who willfully and intentionally aids or abets such person, shall be guilty of a felony. (16-11-113)

Adventure Outdoors in Smyrna, GA (one of the largest firearms dealers in Georgia) is currently in a very large law suit with the state of New York because of the Anti-Bloomberg Law.

Federal Law:

Furnishing a Pistol to a Minor - It is illegal to sell or give a pistol or revolver to a person under 18 years old. Possession of handguns by minors is only allowed as explained in the Possesion section above. (16-11-101.1)

Federal law allows the sale of a long gun or a handgun between private parties of the same state as long as the purchaser is 18 years of age. An individual who does not possess a federal firearms license may not sell a modern firearm to a resident of another state without first transferring the firearm to a dealer in the purchaser's state.

[3] Firearms received by bequest or intestate succession are exempt from those sections of the law which forbid the transfer, sale, delivery or transportation of firearms into a state other than the transferor's state of residence.[3]

Likewise, antique firearms are exempt from these sections of the law in most states. (Antique firearms are defined as those manufactured pre-1899 by US federal law, or modern replicas thereof that do not use cartridges. State law definitions on antique firearms vary considerably from state to state.)

Iraqgunz
03-05-10, 08:26
Nothing you posted here backs up your earlier claim. As far as I know only California and Idaho do not allow purchase of long guns in contigious states. This came directly from Cabelas website reference to firearms sales;

Residents of the state of Florida can purchase long guns in the states of Georgia and Alabama.
Residents of the state of Georgia and Alabama can purchase long guns in the state of Florida. (Fla. Code 790.28)

Purchasing of firearms:

Georgia has only 2 laws that regulate the purchasing of firearms. All other purchasing laws come from Federal law. The BATFE has a reference page that explains those laws (at that site, when the BATFE says "licensed" they mean firearm dealers and "unlicensed" means private individuals).

Straw Purchase / Anti-Bloomberg Law - Any person who attempts to solicit, persuade, encourage, or entice any dealer to transfer or otherwise convey a firearm other than to the actual buyer, as well as any other person who willfully and intentionally aids or abets such person, shall be guilty of a felony. (16-11-113)

Adventure Outdoors in Smyrna, GA (one of the largest firearms dealers in Georgia) is currently in a very large law suit with the state of New York because of the Anti-Bloomberg Law.

Federal Law:

Furnishing a Pistol to a Minor - It is illegal to sell or give a pistol or revolver to a person under 18 years old. Possession of handguns by minors is only allowed as explained in the Possesion section above. (16-11-101.1)

Federal law allows the sale of a long gun or a handgun between private parties of the same state as long as the purchaser is 18 years of age. An individual who does not possess a federal firearms license may not sell a modern firearm to a resident of another state without first transferring the firearm to a dealer in the purchaser's state.

[3] Firearms received by bequest or intestate succession are exempt from those sections of the law which forbid the transfer, sale, delivery or transportation of firearms into a state other than the transferor's state of residence.[3]

Likewise, antique firearms are exempt from these sections of the law in most states. (Antique firearms are defined as those manufactured pre-1899 by US federal law, or modern replicas thereof that do not use cartridges. State law definitions on antique firearms vary considerably from state to state.)

bobvila
03-05-10, 08:27
Oh I was not talking about private party sales. I dont go to gun shows so I did not think there would be private sales there. But as long as it is through a FFL there is no problem with out of state long guns and no transfer needs to happen.

jatienza
03-05-10, 08:31
Original Quote by Iraqgunz:

"Residents of the state of Florida can purchase long guns in the states of Georgia and Alabama.
Residents of the state of Georgia and Alabama can purchase long guns in the state of Florida. (Fla. Code 790.28)"

Your quote is true, but it is my understanding that you must make the firearm transfer via a FFL dealer. No private to private sales across state lines.

jatienza
03-05-10, 08:37
"Oh I was not talking about private party sales." Now I understand. Many people go to gun shows to purchase firearms from other indiviuals attending the event. They do this to save money by avoiding a gun transfer fee. That is fine as long as both parties are from the same state.

jatienza
03-05-10, 08:52
"But as long as it is through a FFL there is no problem with out of state long guns and no transfer needs to happen."

Please correct me if I am wrong, but when you purchase a firearm from a FFL dealer, the FFL dealer transfers the firearm to you. The serial numer of the firearm is transferred under your name.

cuervo_gold
03-06-10, 09:28
I live in New Mexico and the gun show is in Texas. i have bought a rifle in Texas before so i know that you can purchase one there. but my purpose of going to a gun show was for a stripped lower receiver and since it considered a hand gun there is no need for me to go.:mad:

thanks all

Iraqgunz
03-06-10, 10:46
Allow me to clarify. It is not considered a pistol. It is because the lower could be built into either a pistol or rifle. Since the BATFE and the dealer don't know the intent of the purchaser that's the way it is. You would be better off getting a lower online and sending it to a local FFL.

I live in New Mexico and the gun show is in Texas. i have bought a rifle in Texas before so i know that you can purchase one there. but my purpose of going to a gun show was for a stripped lower receiver and since it considered a hand gun there is no need for me to go.:mad:

thanks all