PDA

View Full Version : Glock sights - now questions about Warren sights

rob_s
04-16-07, 13:39
I'd like a Heinie rear with a good white outline front like a Meprolight. Anyone know what height/width front I need to be looking for to match up well with a slant-pro (non tritium) rear?

LOKNLOD
04-16-07, 14:09
I'd like a Heinie rear with a good white outline front like a Meprolight. Anyone know what height/width front I need to be looking for to match up well with a slant-pro (non tritium) rear?

That's the exact setup I've been wanting also, and if only Heinie had a white ring on their front sight I'd be a happy camper.

What I've found so far is that Ameriglo makes a plain serrated front sight specifically for use with the Heinie rear -- it is .215 tall and .090 wide. But their tritium fronts only come in .200 and .220, both .125 wide. The latter is close but still not exact. I haven't found any other white-ringed tritium sight that meets the description. Part of me wonders if the width of the vial + white ring is just too much for a .090 sight. Would the sight picture work right with a .125 wide front sight? IIRC the Heinies come in .140 and .156 (race cut) rear notch widths.

That's where my search has led me so far….

rob_s
04-16-07, 14:11
I really like the look of the Warren sights too, but I don't know if they make a white outline front tritium.

David Thomas
04-16-07, 14:19
Does this mean your are converting to Glocks?

rob_s
04-16-07, 14:32
No, I unconverted from Glocks awhile ago thinking the ole lady would never be interested and I only needed to arm myself. Now she's showing an interest, and there's a chance I can even get her to take a 2 day pistol class later in the year. I have another thread around here somewhere about holster options for females.

VA_Dinger
04-16-07, 22:50
I really like the look of the Warren sights too, but I don't know if they make a white outline front tritium.

I bought a set of Warren night sights for my G19. It took awhile but now I love them. I think Warren Tactical just uses a standard Trijicon trit front sight. Mine came with a white outline.

rob_s
04-17-07, 05:10
Looks like I can get the warrens like I want them from these guys (http://www.mle-shootingsports.com/)

Warren Tactical - Plain Rear & Tritium Front Set #WTS-GWTT $70

I really would prefer the Heinie since I'm familiar with it. I'll have to try to hunt down someone local that has the Warrens.

jackinfl
04-17-07, 08:03
Rob,
Shay and Carlos are running the WTS sights. I am going to put the 3 dot set on one of my 17's.
Jack

LOKNLOD
04-17-07, 08:06
Looks like I can get the warrens like I want them from these guys (http://www.mle-shootingsports.com/)

I really would prefer the Heinie since I'm familiar with it. I'll have to try to hunt down someone local that has the Warrens.

I-shot also has the Warrens in all the configs.

rob_s
04-19-07, 09:03
Thoughts on the Sevigny vs. Warren profile?

LOKNLOD
04-19-07, 10:57
Thoughts on the Sevigny vs. Warren profile?

Good question, I wish there was a good set of photos that showed the actual sight picture with different versions...

rob_s
04-19-07, 11:39
Found this, answered alot of my questions. Enough so that I'll be ordering a set of Warrens shortly.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=3487&highlight=warren

Akoni
04-20-07, 13:32

I've got them on one of my 19's if you want to check them out.

rob_s
04-20-07, 13:54
I've got them on one of my 19's if you want to check them out.

Bring it with you on Tuesday, if you come.

I got my can in and will be shooting it.

jmart
04-20-07, 14:53
Warren Tactical Link (http://www.ishot-inc.com/store2/product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=45)

SuicideHz
04-20-07, 23:46
Yeah, I really really wish my Warren's had a white outline like my old Meprolights had but they don't. The Warren's are nice and bright but that's for dusk and low light- the white dot would be great for quicker acquisition.

When I'm trying to really aim and have the time, the larger dot doesn't bother me- I'm still lining up the top of the front sight so the ring wouldn't be an issue.

I do have the 10-8 rears on my SA with the stock front tritium. That is dimmer and smaller than the Warren front sights and it REALLY sucks. I'm thinking about going gold bead like from SDM on the SA.

I don't want to F around with fitting the new sight and I'm tempted to punch or drill out the crappy tritium lamp to replace it with the gold bead. The bead can be had for under $20 IIRC. It requires a .086 hole and I checked with the correct bit and it's bigger than the lamp in the sight right now.

I'm really tempted to go WECSOG on these sights...

rob_s
04-25-07, 11:06
Well the Warrens I saw on Akoni's pistol last night have me sold. The white outline was fantastic, the sight picture was nice and clear, and I'll be ordering a set in the next day or two.

TheDutchman
04-25-07, 12:02
Dang it Rob_S I just bought Heinie 's slant pro's with the race cut for my G23, how are the Warren's compared to the Heinie's in you opinion?

rob_s
04-25-07, 12:04
Generally speaking I would prefer the Heinies. I'm just having a hard time finding the Heinies packaged the way I want (plain serrated rear, large white outline tritium front) and I'm not really interested in shopping all over or buying in pieces. Warren, wisely, offers their sights in the configuration I want.

I also happen to like the slight curve to the bottom of the rear notch in the Warren, as well as the reduced overall profile of their "tactical' rear. I do wish it was serrated as my preference is for serrated rears, but I'll try it out and see if these sights change my mind on that.

TheDutchman
04-25-07, 13:55
Rob I wanted the same setup with the Heinie's. I know now I can not get the configuration I want, however I ordered :
#318F Glock Front Sight .215 tall with Tritium Insert
#315GRCR Glock SlantPro Race Cut Rear Only

We will see how they work for me.

rob_s
04-25-07, 14:12
Keep me posted. I'd like to see pics when you get them and hear your take on them.

TheDutchman
04-26-07, 10:02
WOW I ordered the sights on Monday and have already received them by Wednesday. I had my local shop install the sights, they have a pretty good sight picture. Will shoot it this weekend

LOKNLOD
04-26-07, 10:22
WOW I ordered the sights on Monday and have already received them by Wednesday. I had my local shop install the sights, they have a pretty good sight picture. Will shoot it this weekend

Nice. Who'd you order through? Any way you could get a clear shot of the sight picture?

Akoni
04-26-07, 10:52
I really like my Warren sights (Warren rear and big white outline tritium front). They're very visible under all lighting conditions and very fast to acquire. Their only downside (for me) appears at greater distances (+20m). That wide rear sight notch can make precise shots a bit more challenging. I'm sure I'll get better with them as I shoot them more but it is different than more typical sight pictures.

TheDutchman
04-26-07, 11:06
I got them from Heinie

LOKNLOD
04-26-07, 21:00
I was looking through the Glock picture thread to find something for a friend, and happened across DamnYank!'s post, with a good shot of the Warren Tacticals' sight picture. I thought it would be a good reference in this thread, unless DamnYank! comes along with an objection. It's post #61 in the Glock thread, I believe.

http://home.comcast.net/~djyankey/images/firearms/DSC00461.JPG

SuicideHz
04-26-07, 22:16
Paul doesn't mind if you borrow his pictures I'm sure. He did get rid of them in favor of a set of Yost sights though.

LOKNLOD
04-26-07, 23:14
Paul doesn't mind if you borrow his pictures I'm sure. He did get rid of them in favor of a set of Yost sights though.

I'd be interested to hear what he didn't like about them, and why he switched. I haven't seen many of the Yost sights, how's he like those? Paging DamnYank....

CMPM14NM
04-27-07, 10:44
I've switched all my Glocks and my 1911 over to the Warren Tactical Sights. I'm running the white outline front tritium (green) and the single, non-outline tritium (oragne) rear. These are the fastest combat sights I've ever used on a pistol. The white outline front almost works like an electronic dot sight on fast targets under 15M. I was initially concerned about the wide rear notch but I've been shooting 98-99s at 25M with them on a B8 replacement center. Anytime you're shooting 2.5" groups offhand with a stock Glock at 25M, the sights are working fine.

I find the lack of rear serrations to be a big plus on these sights. When shooting fast your eye doesn't seem drawn to the rear sight like it does on the serrated Heinies. Like I said, I've ditched all my Heinies in favor of the Warren sights.

Tommy Vercetti
04-28-07, 15:59
Just ordered the Sevigny carry plain rear/tritium front sights from I-Shot for my newest OD GLOCK 17. I have the Warren rear on one of my Sig 226's and love it on the Sig, but I personally think the GLOCK's lines are better complimented, if you will, with the Sevigny rear. Plus, I have to imagine the sharp square notch of the Sevigny rear lends itself to better distance shooting than the U notch on the Warren rear permits. Guess I'll find out soon enough.:D

SuicideHz
04-28-07, 18:16
Well since Paul isn't around I'll speak for him.

The rears of the Warren's are SHARP and dug into his front/side.

They dig into mine and it's uncomfortable sometimes. My car has THICK bolsters and it pushes the gun a little when I get in. They cannot be on a gun worn without an undershirt- that's for sure.

The Yost are nice in the fact that they don't protrude rearward of the dovetail so they won't dig if that is a problem. From the side, they have a similar look to a stock 1911's rear sight. They are the FULL width of the slide though with a rounded top corner on each side. I don't see it necessary for them to be so wide but maybe I'm used to my Warren's and how they only have a minimal amount of blade on each side.

jackinfl
04-29-07, 17:11
I have been a three dot trijicn shooter since 1992. I just switched to the Warren Tactical 3-dot sights. It is aYellow green yellow set up. The yellow sights are much more dim than the green. This let's the green front grab my attention.

I initally had problems installing the sights. I have a Glock sight tool at work, but the warrens would not fit this tool. I contacted a friend who used an MGW tool without incident. I also shot Warren an e-mail inquiring which sight tool they recommended. Scott replied that he would prefer to use a file and press fit with a punch. I told him my concern for the tritium vials, he was not concerned because his sights are case hardened. Anyway I used a Barrett file and a brass punch, the sight go on right to left and with 8 or 12 strokes on the file the sight went on with out problem.

By the way this is on a new Glock 17, made in Smyrna. I adjusted the windage witht he brass punch and then when i was satisfied I loc-tited the set screw in place.

I 've shot the gun three times now. The FL state course twice, farthest distance is 15 yards, and I shot our old PD qualification course which has 6 rounds at 25 yards.
I do shoot well, but I thought that the Warren front being thinner than the Trijicon I am used to I was alittle tighte at distance.

Several people have noted above about the wide rear, I dont notice it.. I felt the sights were very accurate at 25 yards.

I did notice the rear sight was sharp, the sharp area is the inside tops of the notch. This is not a problem for me as I do not carry IWB. I imagine if you were concerned with this Warren would be interested to hear about it.

I like his sights and eventually will switch my other 17, the 19 and the 26 to them...But for now summer break is here and the kids take priority.

By the way I am using the .215 front sight. All ordered at I-shot, another nice guy to deal with.

Rob. You can shoot my set up If I can shoot the ED Brown Special Forces.

Stay Safe,
Jack

SuicideHz
04-29-07, 23:19
Are you saying you have the sights that DamnYank and I have and that everyone else has and that they are not sharp- just inside the rear notch?

You certainly have different sights.

jackinfl
04-30-07, 07:07
Suicide,
I have the Warren Tactical 3-dot system. the only sharp edge on mine are in the rear notch. The rest of the sights exterior surface are nicely rounded...

I have not handled his other models, but the guys I know that have them all carry IWB.

Best of Luck. I'd contact Scott Warren directly via e-mail and let him know. If it is a problem I'd bet he would try to fix it...

SuicideHz
04-30-07, 19:25
Mine aren't three dot. I think we are talking about different sights.

But then again, you ARE talking about DamnYank's, right?

jackinfl
04-30-07, 21:13
Suicide,
Here goes the best pic I could find for the sights I have. My digital camera is TU right now. These pics are from the MLE site that sells the Warren sights. Again the only sharp area I feel is at the top of the cut out notch.

Stay safe,
Jack

SuicideHz
04-30-07, 22:09
The picture is either out of whack or they aren't cut as low on the top side corners. It might explain the difference.

I don't have any problem with mine and DamnYank never keeps anything for more than a week anyway! ;)

DamnYank!
05-05-07, 16:15
a little late coming in, but ya the Warrens dug into my gut pretty good. the rear edge of the rear sight was quite sharp. mainly when sitting and in the car. but i REALLY liked the sight picture. the Yost set i have on it now is nice, but based purely on sight picture i'd take the Warrens...

Jay Cunningham
05-05-07, 16:27
I discovered that the 3 dot Trijicons (green front/yellow rear) made for too cluttered of a sight picture for me during transition drills when it was imperative to get that blaster out and running quickly.

After checking out the AI's personal setup on his Glock 17, I ordered and installed the Heinie SlantPro for the rear and the Heinie green trit for the front on my Glock 19. I am very pleased with this setup. I can quickly grab the front sight, and the lack of a white outline around the night sight keeps my focus on the top of the front sight where it belongs.

I did some low light shooting the other night before getting chased off the range, and this configuration allowed me to shoot more or less just as accurately as in daylight.

rob_s
03-11-08, 14:24
Anyone know a source that has the Warrens in stock? I'm looking for a red fiber optic front and "tactical" rear.

Or, alternately, anyone know of another brand fiber optic front that will work with the Warren rear?

Thanks.

blake6551
03-11-08, 14:52
Anyone know a source that has the Warrens in stock? I'm looking for a red fiber optic front and "tactical" rear.

Or, alternately, anyone know of another brand fiber optic front that will work with the Warren rear?

Thanks.

Have you tried MLE shooting sports? I have ordered a bunch from them and they always seem to have them in stock.