PDA

View Full Version : Reliability issues using a Glock 22 RTF2 with Surefire x300

DeputyMend
03-04-10, 18:14
Does anyone have any experience running a Glock 22 RTF2 with a surefire x300 light attached? I have read a lot on the internet saying they will jam every 2 rounds, etc, etc. I am hesitant to believe most of what I read on the internet.

I have had the 22 RTF for about a year and a half with approximately 2,000 rounds and zero malfunctions. I only shoot 180 grain, if that makes a difference.

This is a duty weapon, and I wont be putting it on my belt until I am personally comfortable with the reliability of the setup, I just want to get some insight from the good folks at M4C.

JeepDriver
03-04-10, 20:39
I had read this as well. After I bought my G22 gen 3 (non RTF) I got a bunch of the gen 4 mags and installed a X300. I ran 660 rds in 2 range trips, intentionally trying to limp wrist it. I had 0 problems on the range. I didn't clean of relube it in the 660 rds, all but 60 rds of it was Mag Tech 180 FMJ, then 60rds of 180 gr Winchester STX.

John_Wayne777
03-04-10, 20:48
I'm not sure if the RTF Glocks have any internal improvements made to deal with the mounted light isssues that do exist with 3rd generation .40 caliber Glocks. I don't think that they do, but I'm not an expert on them.

The 4th generation G22's have a different recoil spring arrangement which may turn out to be the solution to some of those problems. The best thing you can do is shoot the weapon as much as possible to see if it's got issues. If it's a gun with issues, bring it up with your command (assuming it's an issue gun) and see what else you can do. If you can carry a BUG on duty, do it.

I had read this as well. After I bought my G22 gen 3 (non RTF) I got a bunch of the gen 4 mags and installed a X300. I ran 660 rds in 2 range trips, intentionally trying to limp wrist it. I had 0 problems on the range. I didn't clean of relube it in the 660 rds, all but 60 rds of it was Mag Tech 180 FMJ, then 60rds of 180 gr Winchester STX.

The issues with .40 caliber Glocks aren't related to limp wristing. For more info, look at the following threads:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=28817&highlight=frame+flex

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=11788&highlight=verdict

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=11699

nickdrak
03-04-10, 21:08
It is unclear from your original post, have you fired your G22 with a X300 attached? Or have all of the rounds fired thru it been without a light attached?

This isnt one of those typical unfounded internet fantasies, because there have been widely reported functional issues with running a weapon mounted lights on the rail of some generation 3 Glock .40s&w pistols. Not ALL of them, but enough that some large departments switched from the G22's back to G17's or another manufacturers pistol all together.

If your G22 runs reliably with or without a weaponlight mounted, then I dont think you have anything to worry about. However, if it was mandated by my department that I had to carry a .40s&w Glock pistol, I would opt for the new Generation 4 G22 as it appears that Glock has addressed the weaponlight issue with the new frame/dual recoil spring design without ever actually admitting that there was an issue. Brilliant!

tpd223
03-05-10, 04:02
If you have 2000 rounds on the G22 recoil spring you need a new one, soon.

Limp wristing isn't the issue, and on some of the G22s I have seen doing so will make the gun run better, not worse, so will shooting a grungy gun.

I'm also unclear if you have been shooting your G22 with the light mounted.

BTW, I know a guy who owns two G22 RTFs and both have been choking, no light on them either.

Lee Indy
03-05-10, 07:36
see if theyll let you carry a different glock. the 40s are plagued by problems. not all but enough

DeputyMend
03-05-10, 12:05
I should have been more clear, I have not shot at all with the light attached.

Over the next 4 months I will be shooting 3,000+ rounds through this weapon, with the light attached. That is, unless reliability becomes such an issue that it interferes with training.

After reading through those threads, I am thinking I will be making a change to the 17 when my training is done. I would change now but I already bought all my ammo and have neither the time nor funds to make the change. :(

Just for fun, I will keep track of any reliability issues I have/dont have and post them here.

SWATcop556
03-05-10, 18:17
If you stay on top of your recoil and mag spring replacement you can minimize the problems of the .40 cal Glocks, but not enough so that I would carry it as a duty weapon. The Gen4 G22 seems to be an improvement over the older guns but only time will tell.

What are you carrying now? Is it not working for you?

DeputyMend
06-08-10, 14:45
UPDATE

I have thus far shot 3000+ rounds through this weapon, about 2800 with the surefire mounted. I have had 0 malfunctions with this setup, as long as I shoot with 2 hands. When I shoot one handed I have about 1 failure per magazine. This is almost always a failure to feed with the round catching on the bottom of the feed ramp. I had one stovepipe shooting one handed with this setup.

I am really disappointed. IMO a weapon has to be reliable whether you are shooting one handed two handed or have a screwed up grip or whatever. I removed the light because I am more then uncomfortable with a gun that fails when I need it most.

I am planning on switching to a Glock 34, which I understand works flawlessly with a light.

Heavy Metal
06-08-10, 15:12
I would get a 17 for a duty gun before a 34.

There is a big hole in the slide on a 34.

And you do know the 34 is a 9mm? The 35 is the .40sw.

I would say you would be ok with a Gen 4 .22 and as SWATCop1911 said, stay on top of your mag springs.

One thing I have found with Glocks is if you load them one short the mag springs seem to last much longer.

mike240
06-08-10, 16:45
I have heard this rumor for years but never experienced it. I have run G22 and G35 for many years on duty with various lights for many thousands of rounds with no issue and no need to go to different mag springs as was recommended a few years ago. I had run Gen2 G22 with a SF Nitrolon with SFs bolt on rail adapter. 3 gen G22 with TLR and SF x300 and G35 with TLR and x300.

I never had issue and I truely shot them a lot. Speer Gold Dot, Speer, Winchester and International frangible and my reloads. On duty, off duty, in matches and on SWAT. Truely had no issues or concerns.

Just my two cents and experiences....

SHIVAN
06-08-10, 17:58
I have heard this rumor for years...

Not a rumor. Surefire acknowledges that their X lights can cause the issue, and include a high glossy insert with the light telling you to test your gear with the light attached.

Iraqgunz
06-08-10, 19:08
I had issues with my Gen3, G22 with Surefire X200 attached during the low-light instructor course. It's definitely not a fantasy.

DeputyMend
06-08-10, 22:16
As I shot the first two thousand or so rounds without a hiccup I was thinking to myself "typical internet rumor..." Then one handed and weak handed shooting came up and the trouble began.

I don't doubt the people who say they have perfect reliability with their 22s and lights, mine however has performed below my own personal standard for acceptable reliability in a duty weapon. That being said, I have no qualms using the 22 without a light for duty. I am glad that I had this experience before it cost me something important.

Heavy Metal: yes, I know the 34 is a 9mm, that is the idea ;) and this is definitely not a mag spring issue.

longball
06-09-10, 08:42
Is there a certain brand or model of light that seems to be the less problematic than the rest?

Littlelebowski
06-09-10, 09:06
Does anyone have any experience running a Glock 22 RTF2 with a surefire x300 light attached? I have read a lot on the internet saying they will jam every 2 rounds, etc, etc. I am hesitant to believe most of what I read on the internet.

I have had the 22 RTF for about a year and a half with approximately 2,000 rounds and zero malfunctions. I only shoot 180 grain, if that makes a difference.

This is a duty weapon, and I wont be putting it on my belt until I am personally comfortable with the reliability of the setup, I just want to get some insight from the good folks at M4C.

Sounds reliable for you.....