PDA

View Full Version : Interest in a State of Franklin Training Group?

bulbvivid
03-04-10, 19:20
Mods, sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

A couple of other members and I have discussed the idea of a State of Franklin (for lack of a better term) training group to encompass the mountain regions of Eastern Tennessee, Western North Carolina, and Southwest Virginia, and possibly South Carolina/Northern Georgia if folks there are interested. With the size of those states, the people in the mountainous regions are closer to each other than others in the rest of their state.

I'm posting here to see if there's any interest. If you are from the aforementioned areas, sound off here. If you know someone who is, do us a favor and point them in this direction.

If we get enough folks, we'll go ahead and start a social group and go from there.

Jason

Jay Cunningham
03-04-10, 20:12
Moved to Site Questions / Comments forum.

tracker722
03-04-10, 20:43

Icculus
03-05-10, 09:51
I would have some interest in this. There is the NC group but its focused more in the eastern part of the state which can be 5 or 6 hours from us here in the western mountains of the state. Parts of Tenn, SC, and N. Ga. are definitely closer.

tracker722
03-05-10, 10:20

Jay Cunningham
03-05-10, 18:33
If you guys can prove to us the interest is there (i.e. your proposed group has a good chance of being successful) then there is a good chance we can make it happen.

tracker722
03-05-10, 19:13

doughnut
03-05-10, 19:25
Count me in from the Tri-Cities area.

bulbvivid
03-05-10, 19:57
If you guys can prove to us the interest is there (i.e. your proposed group has a good chance of being successful) then there is a good chance we can make it happen.

I've PM'd a few other members from the area, including doughnut, so hopefully they will respond.

I'll be happy with a social group where we can at least get together a couple of times a year and do some shootin' and learnin'.

I used Google to search the site for folks in the area, but that may not be the best way to reach everyone at M4C who resides here. It may take awhile, but hopefully we can get something going.

bulbvivid
03-05-10, 19:59
We're trying Katar, we're trying. But three does not make a training group.

It's enough to start a band though. I can play three chords on the guitar, so we can at least punk out.

tracker722
03-05-10, 20:06

bulbvivid
03-05-10, 20:41
Well, I can play guitar as well, and bass if I have to.:D

Want to start going down the members list for people?

I PM'd a few more that I found with the search. Out of the 22,722 members there might be a few more around here. Picking them out of the list, if they happened to post their location, might take some time. But I'll cruise through it when I can and see if I can drum up more. I've PM'd about twelve so far.

Jerm
03-05-10, 21:58
I'm interested.

There isn't alot of wiggle room in my schedule(or checkbook) at the moment.I can't make much of a commitment for anything without details.

But depending on how things play out I'd definitely be interested.

tracker722
03-05-10, 22:09

Scattergun
03-05-10, 22:23
I might be interested. I'm in Blountville.

bulbvivid
03-05-10, 22:37
I belong to a private range (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=%2B36%C2%B0+12'+12%22,+-82%C2%B0+51'+56%22&sll=37.771008,-122.41175&sspn=0.0441,0.070639&g=37.771008,+-122.41175&ie=UTF8&ll=36.203283,-82.865067&spn=0.360147,0.565109&z=11) in Greeneville, TN, that is also a possible location. There would be no charge there, either. My father's farm is about five miles away and would be a good place for camping to cut costs.

doughnut
03-06-10, 06:11
I belong to a private range (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=%2B36%C2%B0+12'+12%22,+-82%C2%B0+51'+56%22&sll=37.771008,-122.41175&sspn=0.0441,0.070639&g=37.771008,+-122.41175&ie=UTF8&ll=36.203283,-82.865067&spn=0.360147,0.565109&z=11) in Greeneville, TN, that is also a possible location. There would be no charge there, either. My father's farm is about five miles away and would be a good place for camping to cut costs.

Would that be Tac-2?

bulbvivid
03-06-10, 08:27
Would that be Tac-2?

Yep. I shoot IDPA down there every month. Monthly 3-gun matches are starting up next month as well.

doughnut
03-06-10, 09:39
Yep. I shoot IDPA down there every month. Monthly 3-gun matches are starting up next month as well.

A friend of mine has a shop in Jonesborough and I help him from time to time. A lot of folks that come in have told me about Tac-2 but I've never been. I need to get down there and try IDPA.

wingo
03-06-10, 11:10
I maybe interested, but have a full plate at the moment. New kid and whatnot. Would like to know the where and ballpark when. Also a list of what is needed. Need to put in an order to DSG anyway.

bulbvivid
03-06-10, 12:04
A friend of mine has a shop in Jonesborough and I help him from time to time. A lot of folks that come in have told me about Tac-2 but I've never been. I need to get down there and try IDPA.

The matches aren't IDPA sanctioned but generally follow IDPA rules. Some of the stages may not be found at a typical sanctioned match. First match is free to shoot. There's a good group of folks down there, and we get anywhere from 40-60 a month showing up for IDPA. They also do USPSA on the first weekend if you're more interested in that style of competition.

And folks, as far as the group goes, I'm looking at it as much as a social/meet-up group as a training group (though to me that kind of goes hand in hand). Get together, share some knowledge, do some shooting. If we get the ball rolling, maybe some time in the future getting something together and getting an instructor to come in or something. But mostly as a way for M4C members in the area to connect and share.

AICS308
03-06-10, 18:28
I am interested and would like to get more information.

bulbvivid
03-07-10, 19:22
Well, that's eight so far.

Sounds like enough for a small orchestra, or at least enough to plan a get-together if the folks who have posted want to try it out. I'm in no hurry on this, so we have plenty of time as far as working out schedules and logistics.

Ratfink
03-10-10, 21:09
im very interested and got this though a pm from the starting member of this thread

i am very intereste and excited to do somthing like this i dont know what you guys are looking for from me im former navy eod and the only reason im not now is i was wounded in iraq on my 3rd deployment to iraq but i would be glad to leave wife and kids behind one weekend and come up from chattanooga and meet up and do some shooting there is nowhere down here to do any serious shooting and moving so im super excited about this

bulbvivid
03-10-10, 21:47
Good to hear from you Ratfink. It may take us a while to put something formal together, but any time you want to get to a place that allows dynamic shooting, let me know. The range I go to may be a bit of a drive for you, but you could easily make it a day trip. And if we end up in Tracker's AO, the wife and kids might want to come along.

What do the rest of you guys think? It's starting to look like we have enough to have a decent get-together. I've PM'd a few more, and hopefully we'll get some more responses. If y'all think we should go with what we have, we can go ahead and look at planning something. We can make it far enough ahead in the future to where we can get a schedule that works for everyone.

Jay Cunningham
03-10-10, 21:52
If you guys get together, make it happen, and post an AAR with pics I can just about guarantee you that you'll have earned your own forum.

Ratfink
03-11-10, 12:42
well i would love to have my own forum

tracker722
03-11-10, 17:15

tracker722
03-15-10, 19:07

bulbvivid
03-15-10, 19:40
Any way to pick another date?

I shoot IDPA on 2nd Saturday of every month. I will miss it if need be, but I've missed only one since I've started shooting them, and that was for my daughter's birthday. Any other weekend is fine, and like I said, I'll miss it for a meet-up, but if I had my druthers, I'd rather not.

And for you guys with significant others/children and whatnot, you'll notice that Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area is loaded with putt-putt and outlet malls. Might help get you there if you can bring them along.

I am looking forward to meeting some of you folks and learning all I can. I don't have much in the way of my own knowledge (though I can regale you with tales of playing in the Patton Museum's workshop when I was a kid), but I'm pretty good at helping pick up brass.

hardtimes790
03-15-10, 20:23
BV/Tracker,

I've been chomping at the bit for some good training with some good like-minded gentlemen. Just wasn't sure how many of us there were in this area....count me in. I live in Morristown.

Icculus
03-15-10, 20:33
I think I can probably make any weekend in April work. Definitely looking forward to meeting some new folks as well. I'm low speed, high drag myself and don't really have any tactical experience or training to pass on but would love getting out and doing a drills with you guys. And like bulbvivid said, I know how to pick up brass:D

doughnut
03-15-10, 21:44
I work two weekends a month and get the other two off but I can put in for leave if no one else beats me to it first. I'm up for ALMOST anything!:p

tracker722
03-16-10, 20:17

hardtimes790
03-16-10, 20:48
how 'bout the 24th?

Heavy Metal
03-16-10, 20:49
Might be interested.

I am tied-up at least three weekends in April though.

bulbvivid
03-16-10, 21:51
I'm good for any weekend in April, would just rather do one other than the 10th. But if the 10th works for everyone else, then I'm fine with that too.

Doughnut and HM, what works for you guys?

Maybe we should PM/email the other guys who have responded to the thread to let them know that we're trying to nail down a date.

Jerm
03-16-10, 22:56
It looks like April and May are all tied up for me.

Too many trips planned.

Between the spring football camp(mid-April) in MI I've had planned,the NRA event in Charlotte(mid-may),and a trip to the in-laws I've yet to work my way out of...:(

bulbvivid
03-16-10, 22:58
It looks like April and May are all tied up for me.

Too many trips planned.

Between the spring football camp(mid-April) in MI I've had planned,the NRA event in Charlotte(mid-may),and a trip to the in-laws I've yet to work my way out of...:(

Well, hopefully this will be the first but not the last.

doughnut
03-16-10, 23:08
I'm good for any weekend in April, would just rather do one other than the 10th. But if the 10th works for everyone else, then I'm fine with that too.

Doughnut and HM, what works for you guys?

Maybe we should PM/email the other guys who have responded to the thread to let them know that we're trying to nail down a date.

I 'm unfortunately pretty booked up every weekend of April due to vacation, work and weddings. I might be able to meet up during the day of 4/16, 17, and 18 but I'm working nights so I couldn't travel too far. Sorry but my wife has left no room for negotiation. I'll try to work around it the best I can because I'd really like to meet up with everyone.

bulbvivid
03-19-10, 18:37
How about we try pushing it to a weekend in May and see if that gives people more time to plan?

You have any weekends free in May, Tracker? Does May look better for the rest of you?

Heavy Metal
03-19-10, 19:19
Should be better except for the first weekend.

tracker722
03-19-10, 21:47

Icculus
03-19-10, 23:40
Assuming nothing dire comes up I can make the 24th of April work and/or weekends in May should be ok too

ETA: My buddy who isn't an M4C member just moved back to the area recently and if we lock down a weekend I might be able to recruit him as well.

tracker722
03-29-10, 19:27

bulbvivid
03-29-10, 19:32
Been tryin' to get back to this thread and have been covered up.

Friday the 24th may be tough for me—I would pretty much have to play it by ear to see how work is going at the time. A weekend would be better.

I could do any weekend in May (though I'd have to clear it with the house boss).

I wonder if we should email/pm responders to this thread in case they aren't subscribed to it. Any of y'all who are serious about this, reply and let us know what works best for your schedule and let's try to nail something down.

Heavy Metal
03-29-10, 20:00
24th is out for me. That is when I re-scheduled to a latr Ken Hackathorn class.

bulbvivid
04-01-10, 21:03
Friday the 24th may be tough for me

Don't know where I got that the 24th was a Friday—I'll learn to read a calendar someday.

So I'm good on the 24th if y'all want to do it. I'm also free in May except for the weekend of the 16th (though I might be able to finagle the 15th if the consensus lands there).

MIKE G
04-04-10, 10:44
I wont be able to make it to the April 24th date but I would be interested in a group more focused at this area. One of the later dates would work better for me.

bulbvivid
04-04-10, 11:02
May 22nd or 29th?

Icculus
04-16-10, 10:56
So did we ever get enough people for the 24th or are we just waiting and trying to make it happen in May?

tracker722
04-16-10, 11:08

Stranger45
04-16-10, 11:19
Okay. All those that are interested, I will host the first State of Franklin get together at the Gatlinburg Sportsman Club on 10 April. If enough people PM me, I will even buy the hamburger meat and buns and we can make a day of it. How about it?

I will keep an eye on this thread, and if I can I will come up to GSC, just post the dates.

tracker722
04-22-10, 19:11

bulbvivid
08-25-10, 15:44
Anybody up for the 25th of September in Greeneville?

Let's get together and do some shootin' Appalachian style.

Icculus
08-25-10, 15:58
I'm in

bulbvivid
08-25-10, 17:13
There might be some cross-posting with this thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=54707&page=2

There's a couple of guys there who might be in.

Can anybody else make the 25th of September?

mnoe82
08-27-10, 17:51
25th of September is great for me.

bulbvivid
08-27-10, 23:54
I'm in

25th of September is great for me.

Sounds like a plan.

Icculus
09-08-10, 12:37
Was just looking over the calendar planning out a few other events. We're still on for the 25th right? Looks like maybe 4 so far and I'm trying to recruit another friend who's not on m4c.

@ bulbvivid are we planning on doing it at TAC2 or your father's property you mentioned?

bulbvivid
09-08-10, 15:55
Was just looking over the calendar planning out a few other events. We're still on for the 25th right? Looks like maybe 4 so far and I'm trying to recruit another friend who's not on m4c.

@ bulbvivid are we planning on doing it at TAC2 or your father's property you mentioned?

Well, nobody's chimed back in, so let's see what we can do. Hell, I'll show up and shoot even if it's just me and you, though I'd understand if you didn't want to make the drive for that.

I'll try to PM some folks that maybe haven't checked the thread in a while.

I have yet to talk to the owner of TAC2, but I don't think it will be a problem to shoot there (I can have guests with my membership, but if there's going to be a passel of us, I figure I should at least run it by him). If for some reason he has trouble with it, we'll shift to the farm (about 5 miles from TAC2), we'll just have to come up with some target stands and the like.

Alright, y'all, if you want to get out on the 25th, let us know. We can have an informal get-together and do some shooting with whatever you want to bring, pistol, rifle, shotgun, whatever. Just get together and send some rounds down range.

mnoe82
09-08-10, 17:43
Im in.

bulbvivid
09-09-10, 16:39
Alright, it's on for the 25th of this month.

TAC2's no problem. For those of you who haven't been there, we'll have 6 bays to play in as well as a 200-yd. rifle range populated with steel. One bay has a two-story platform, barricades and a mover, and another has a Texas star, plate racks, and various other steel targets. It's a great place to shoot, so you guys in the area who would like to check it out without going to a match, here's your chance.

If anybody else wants to participate, chime in so I can get an idea of how many folks might show up. It would be great to put some faces to M4C usernames.

Again, I'm not planning anything (like pre-planned drills or something) here for the first meet-up, though we can do that if we want to. I'm just going to bring some guns and ammo and we'll see how it goes.

doughnut
09-09-10, 17:02
Sounds great! I'm off on Sat. 9/25 and I'm pretty sure I can make it. I'm up for it as long as nobody objects to an AK showing up;) Would this be in the AM or afternoon?

bulbvivid
09-09-10, 17:20
Sounds great! I'm off on Sat. 9/25 and I'm pretty sure I can make it. I'm up for it as long as nobody objects to an AK showing up;) Would this be in the AM or afternoon?

Well, we can do AM, PM, or both. Depends on who wants to come and their drive times. Right now we can play it by ear, but I'm thinking maybe start about 10:00 am.

And I'll be bringing the Tantal, so your AK will have a friend there. :D

bulbvivid
09-12-10, 18:20
We have five so far: myself, Icculus, mnoe82, doughnut, and zzblazezz.

If any of you other folks can make it, you're surely welcome. It's shaping up to be a good day. If you haven't shot at TAC2, come check it out—you'll quickly come to enjoy the freedom afforded down there.

If any of you who are farther away want to come, I can arrange a place to pitch a tent for both Friday and/or Saturday night if needed. As far as that goes, we can camp at the range.

bulbvivid
09-20-10, 16:52
I guess we need to fix a time here gentlemen.

I'm all for whenever. I can get there early and stay all day.

Chime in with your druthers.

Since the site's kinda wonky right now, I'm going to email this as well.

Icculus
09-21-10, 09:05
Hey, I'll reply to your email as well but I'm open and up for all day. Saw 10am mentioned earlier so I was going with that but I can be there earlier or later. 9am is about as early as I would like set the meet time though as I've got about an hour drive. Already printed out the directions and really looking forward to it. Haven't been able to make it out shooting lately and this is going to be great!

On a side note does anyone happen to own a lever action 45-70 they wouldn't mind bringing. One of the things on my wish list is a Marlin lever but I'm torn on caliber. Shot 30-30 in the past but never a 45-70 so just kinda curious how much thump it really has.

bulbvivid
09-22-10, 18:24
Looks like 10:00 am it is. I'm going to try to get there around 9:00 if anyone feels like coming a little earlier.

You other guys sound off if you can make it. Looks like it's going to be a good day of shooting.

doughnut
09-23-10, 22:26
I plan to be there, GPS and God willing.

doughnut
09-26-10, 19:20
Enjoyed meeting you guys. Hope to meet up again soon.

Icculus
09-27-10, 13:00
Thoroughly enjoyed it as well. Good meeting all of you guys and we'll have to make it happen again soon.

Just realized I had taken my camera but then forgot and left it in the bag all day. bulbvivid, did any of the photos you took come out? I'm not very photogenic and generally hate photos of myself so can't believe I'm asking even asking this:rolleyes:

VA_Dinger
10-08-10, 14:00
You guys now have your own “Regional Training Group” sub-section.

Enjoy guys.

bulbvivid
10-08-10, 18:13
Well, guys, I guess any further discussion will move here: http://m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=175

I posted an AAR and few pics here: http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=64173

Let's start throwing out some new dates. If any of you other guys can host or want to come this way, post here or in the new training group forum.

bulbvivid
10-20-10, 19:37
I've started an introduction thread over in the SoF regional forum. Y'all come through and let folks know you're out there. I figure it would be a good way to find people close by and to reach out when we have meet-ups.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=791408#post791408

bulbvivid
02-19-11, 19:06
Hey folks. We're looking at getting together next weekend (the weekend of the 26th), probably at TAC2.

We're talking about it in this thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=914865#post914865

I figured I'd post over here for those folks that may be subscribed to this thread. If you feel like getting out and shooting with some M4C folks, let us know.

bulbvivid
05-23-11, 19:23
Just to catch you guys that may still be subscribed to this thread, I just figured out (duh) that you can subscribe to specific forums as well. Any of you still interested in meeting up should subscribe to the State of Franklin Training Group forum. Since the forum doesn't get a whole lot of direct traffic, the subscription function will make it more useful for all of us.

We've had a couple of meet-ups so far and have had a good time learning from each other and trying out and discussing our various setups.

I posted here with instructions on how to subscribe to the forum: http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=81652

wingo
05-23-11, 21:20
i have been meaning to get back to this thread. turns out i moved to Texas, long drive.

Icculus
05-23-11, 21:28
Good catch man. I had wondered about subscribing to the whole forum after it took me a while to notice the night shoot thread.

doughnut
05-23-11, 21:59
Awesome, thanks.