PDA

View Full Version : HK45C Night sight options and POI

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-04-10, 22:48
Hey guys,

Has anyone had any experience putting night sights on their HK45c? I want Warren's but it looks like that isn't going to happen anytime soon (or is it?)?

Has anyone put the Meprolights or Heinies on theirs? Did it change the elevation any?

Has anyone actually sent their gun to tool tech?

SmokeJumper
03-04-10, 23:22
I just had the Trijicon night sights put on mine. The dept. armored did it and used a mic to get the sights centered in the dovetails. It shoots right on for me from 25 yard line to the 3. They didn't change anything. The only problem we had was how tight the Trijicons were going in, very tight.

ToddG
03-05-10, 00:07
If you replace both front & rear sights with the same brand/set, elevation should be correct.

I've had both Mepro (factory) and Heinies on my P30s. The Meps are ludicrously poor in terms of sight picture, but the Heinies aren't bad. The last set I got from Heinie required quite a bit of filing to get on the gun, however.

loupav
03-05-10, 10:05
I have straight-8's on both my HK45's and there is no change in elevation from what I can see.

HK45
03-05-10, 11:26
I have Meps on 2 HK 45's and two HK 45c's. No issues with POI.

forgiven
03-05-10, 12:55
So does this mean you've gone to the 45c instead of the hk45??

If so - why?

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-05-10, 14:16
I have both now. The HK45c is going to be a carry gun. The HK45 is more of an end of the world/ for some reason Greg Bell is on a battlefield gun.

Ed L.
03-05-10, 14:24
So I guess your plan on shooting a G26 EXCLUSIVELY, for one year, went by the waysides.

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-05-10, 14:28
Hehe. Still shooting and carrying the G26. But I couldn't resist the allure of the HK45c!!!

I have broken my gun monogamy for the past few weekends!

mfrey
03-05-10, 14:36
I wish I had the following information when I was sight shopping for my HK45C. I'm feeling altruistic so let me pass it along:

If you you opt for the Heinies and want to have someone install them for you, do what I should have done and have Gray Guns do the work. Heinie charges $77 for installation (2nd day UPS return shipment included) plus $144.68 for the #3950 sight set.

On the other hand, Gray Guns charges $155 plus return shipping for the sights installed! The price even includes test firing to make sure they are zeroed.

As you likely know, Gray Guns is regarded as one of the premier shops for HK work. Their reputation speaks for itself.

If you go that route, call them to make sure they have the sights in stock that you want and make an appointment to send in your complete slide with barrel and recoil rod assembly. There is no need to pay for overnight shipping to send them your entire gun for test firing; they test fire your slide assembly after installation on one of their frames. Usually they have a 10-12 week backlog but they try to fit sight work in when they can since it doesn't take them that long and is fairly profitable for them. They told me turn-around is about a week.

Sigh. If only I had known... I sent my last sight upgrade project to Heinie and paid the premium. I'm pretty good at the bench but in my case the sights needed a fair degree of fitting and I didn't want to take a chance messing them up.

I love the Heinies, BTW. I'd only entertain migrating to another sight if the Warrens ever came to fruition.

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-05-10, 14:43
I may just order the Meprolights and wait and see if the Warren's come out.

Ed L.
03-05-10, 17:17
Hehe. Still shooting and carrying the G26. But I couldn't resist the allure of the HK45c!!!

I have broken my gun monogamy for the past few weekends!

Glad to hear it.

I hate when people make dramatic and pointless proclaimations like they are only going to shoot this or that handgun for the next year.

Of course it is a different matter if you are a cop or in the military and it is your duty gun and you feel that you don't train enough with it.

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-05-10, 17:37
Well Kiss my grits!:D

LockenLoad
03-05-10, 23:32
I have straight-8's on both my HK45's and there is no change in elevation from what I can see.

ditto

Swamprattler
03-06-10, 05:54
I have Trijicons on both my HK45 and 45c, and they did not change the point of aim at all. Good luck with your decision.

HK45
03-06-10, 13:55
I may just order the Meprolights and wait and see if the Warren's come out.

I see Heinie has the straight eight QWIK sights for the HK 45's now. Might be the best choice if you decide not to wait and see on Warrens. I just ordered two sets for my P30's and will likely replace the Meps on my HK 45's with them. The new HK's are finally getting some options for sights after having nothing for quite awhile

http://www.heinie.com/product_info.php?products_id=172

LockenLoad
03-07-10, 07:40
I see Heinie has the straight eight QWIK sights for the HK 45's now. Might be the best choice if you decide not to wait and see on Warrens. I just ordered two sets for my P30's and will likely replace the Meps on my HK 45's with them. The new HK's are finally getting some options for sights after having nothing for quite awhile

http://www.heinie.com/product_info.php?products_id=172

That is what I have and really like them

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-22-10, 00:49
I got the Heinie Qwik sights. The POI is a tad lower than the HK POI (which is also usually lower than many other guns. Basically, at 30 feet you use the dot as an aimpoint.

Mark71
03-22-10, 01:38
Hey Greg,

How are you liking the HK45c especially compared to the full size?

Littlelebowski
03-22-10, 06:14
Glad to hear it.

I hate when people make dramatic and pointless proclaimations like they are only going to shoot this or that handgun for the next year.

Of course it is a different matter if you are a cop or in the military and it is your duty gun and you feel that you don't train enough with it.

That really bothers you? It's not like he's going to quit posting about it and informing us of what happened.

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-22-10, 07:58
Mark,

It is a much better carry gun than the full size. It really isn't any bigger than a Glock 19. The full size is a hog-leg and I almost never carry it. However, I much prefer the full size gun's grip for range shooting.

I have been shooting and carrying my Glock 26 as well. Obviously, the G26 is smaller and a hair easier to carry. Basically, I am letting the wal-mart ammo situation dictate which one I shoot!:D

GJM
03-25-10, 22:19
I am told that the Heinie sights for the HK 45/P30, unlike most of their other sights, are only held in by the set screws? If so, any idea why Heinie did them this way for the HK, and any idea if Heinie will be changing these over to where the fit is tight and the set screw is secondary as opposed to the primary way of keeping the sight from moving?

loupav
03-26-10, 13:02
I've installed sights with my own sight pusher tool on Two USPs, and Three Sigs, and a friend's CZ. The Heinie Sights for the HK45 were impossible for me to install at home. I sent the slide to them to let them deal with it.

I got the slide back that same week and couldn't have been happier with the result.

I will soon send them my HK45C slide for installation of #395.

HK45
03-26-10, 13:05
Basically, I am letting the wal-mart ammo situation dictate which one I shoot!:D

I'm right there with you. Scored some Federal .45 at one the other day for $15 and change per box and I bought their last 6 boxes.
Until we can get Warrens the Heinie quik sights look like the way to go for HK45/45c. No wonder Heinie makes such a point of sending them your slide to install their sights.
I was carrying an HK45 in a Raven Concealment holster pretty easily for a year or so, then I got a Glock 19...

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-26-10, 13:08
GJM,

Like Loupav said, they are very oversized and difficult to install. After they are installed, they have 4 (FOUR!) set screws. Talk about hurricane proof.

LockenLoad
03-27-10, 07:59
glad my gunsmith was up too the task so far, only a puny 500 round through since my heinie's weree installed on my HK45c all seems well

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-28-10, 17:57
Shot the Hk45c at a Ken Hackathorn class today (also shot my HK45 fullsize). The gun was like a laser. I REALLY, really like the idea of the point of impact being exactly where the dot is. After two days of shooting an aimpoint on a carbine the front dot starts to get a little magical.:D

Mjolnir
03-28-10, 19:27
I have both now. The HK45c is going to be a carry gun. The HK45 is more of an end of the world/ for some reason Greg Bell is on a battlefield gun.

:D

funny how some people (myself included) view certain products. my question is it just us or are we the victim of very clever marketing.

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-28-10, 20:37
We are all victims of clever marketing. Only a small percentage of us need anything more than a J-frame and a 12 gauge for the closet.