PDA

View Full Version : kydex holster and grip tape

jaxman7
03-05-10, 08:13
OK here goes....I've got a raven owb holster inbound for my 1911 (5" barrel). The weapon has no front cocking serrations so I placed grip tape along the slide where they would be cut. All arguments against this put aside, I know b/c of the tightness of a kydex holster the grip tape is going to scrape to mess out of that raven. Is there anyway possible to reshape the kydex to enlarge it around the section of the holster the grip tape will contact? Any one ever dealt with this before? Heat gun possibly? Hope this thread made sense. I am kinda writing this in a hurry. Thanks.

Alpha Sierra
03-05-10, 08:18
Doable? Yes.

Easy to get it right and make it look right? Not so much.

My advice: get rid of the tape and have the slide cut for serrations if it is that important to you. Otherwise, just do without.

It seems that no "proper" 1911 is complete without something to grip at the front of the slide. Yet hardly anyone does that to SIGs, Berettas, S&Ws, Glocks, HKs, and many other pistols that do not have them from the factory.

jaxman7
03-05-10, 08:24
Yeh I agree. The tape is just a temporary fix until I stop spending money on other guns and start building this particular 1911 for my particular tastes. You said its doable. Is that using a heat gun,sandpaper, what?

C45P312
03-05-10, 08:29
Why not cock it from the rear? Is that part broken?

jaxman7
03-05-10, 08:32
I do cock to the rear and do press checks at the front.

C45P312
03-05-10, 08:52
I do cock to the rear and do press checks at the front. I perform a press check like that with all my handguns.

So you bring your hand closer to the muzzle to make sure there's a round in the chamber ..... riiiiiiiigghhttt

I use to make that mistake and finally was corrected by someone else.

Business_Casual
03-05-10, 08:53
I do cock to the rear and do press checks at the front.

Is this something a trainer taught you or are you doing this by personal preference?

M_P

jaxman7
03-05-10, 09:07
Trainer and just for clarification I am not doing a press check by putting my finger on the recoil spring plug and pushing back.

jaxman7
03-05-10, 09:09
Insert mag,rotate weapon grab cocking serrations/tape with joint of thumb and index finger and pull back to see brass.

Sam
03-05-10, 09:17
I understand how you press check your pistol, you're grabbing the front portion of the side from the bottom with your thumb and index finger. For those questioning your technique, this is the accepted practice of press checking, especially a 1911. Many competition shooters do this. There are a bunch of ways to press check, this is just a variation.

As for the grip tape scratching your holster, I don't think it's a big deal. Have you already tried holstering the gun with the tape on the slide? If the holster is so tight, I'm sure the gritty surface of the tape will start to wear a groove on the inside of the kydex. If that's the case, once the surface is worn down to fit the thickness of the tape, the scratching will stop.

Good luck.

JimmyB62
03-05-10, 09:22
I don't think you'll find a kydex holster that is molded tighter to the gun than an RCS. The grip tape may make holtering a bit tough at first but the sandpaper (grip tape) should quickly wear away the kydex and it should fit OK.

I'm with others though. Just get rid of the tape (but that's not what you asked).:p

jaxman7
03-05-10, 09:28
Thanks Sam, and as far holsters go I've 2 polymer holsters and some leather ones. Right now I am using a safariland that needed minor trimming for the tape. I was just concerned about the raven b/c it will 'hug' the gun tighter therefore more trimming will be required. I would think. Like I said haven't received the holster yet.

jaxman7
03-05-10, 09:33
Yeh I know jimmyb62 I will eventually get the slide cut!

John_Wayne777
03-05-10, 10:08
Grip tape -- yes, it will probably scratch up the holster. If you use the right tape, however, the damage should be minimal. Of more concern would be whether or not the gun will go into and come out of the holster as expected every time.

Press checking -- ...can be accomplished perfectly well at the rear of the gun where the slide serrations are. I'd stick to using them.

jaxman7
03-05-10, 10:46
The only problem I've discovered while doing a rear slide press check is that under stress I have a tendency to over rack the slide and possibly cause a stovepipe or completely ejecting the round. Front press checks offer me personally much more control.

Business_Casual
03-05-10, 11:16
The only problem I've discovered while doing a rear slide press check is that under stress I have a tendency to over rack the slide and possibly cause a stovepipe or completely ejecting the round. Front press checks offer me personally much more control.

You can hook a finger in the ejection port to help control the press check. If you are over pressing under stress, wouldn't that be a signal to you to re-evaluate something more fundamental than where you grip the slide?

M_P

C45P312
03-05-10, 12:03

Can you please offer me a scenerio where one would press check under stress? I can't think of one right now. Might be because I just got to work.

Thanks
-Carlo

Alpha Sierra
03-05-10, 13:57
Can you please offer me a scenerio where one would press check under stress?
Wondering that too.

Press checks are administrative manipulations. The time to do them is not under the timer, or worse, under the gun.

If there is no time to do a press check slowly and deliberately, then there is no time to do one at all.

Jeff Franz
03-05-10, 14:50
I have always press checked as jaxman7 has described. It is both how I have been taught (by "big dog" trainers and local guys alike), and personal preference. Furthermore, I rarely see anyone press check by grabbing the rear serrations at local competitions, classes or the range. Grabbing the rear of the slide is awkward and combersome at best. When reaching over the top of the slide, which is the accepted way to powerstroke the gun on a load, reload, or malfunction, one tends to cover the ejection port with the heel of the hand, making it difficult to see brass. When grabbing the serrations between the thumb and forefinger, the slide is more difficult to control, and it's easy to cause a stovepipe by partially ejecting the round when pulling the slide back too far. Shooters also have a tendency to ride the slide forward with this method, often causing a failure of the weapon to return to battery. Reaching to the front of the slide, all the while ensuring your fingers never pass in front of the muzzle, alleviates all of these problems. If I recall correctly, I believe the Magpul Dyncamics Handgun DVDs cover it better than I can. Do it how ever you wish, but the incredulous tone by many in this thread baffles me, when as Sam stated, it is the accepted way by national trainers and the competitive world alike.

To answer the original question, I have small pieces of tape on my G17 and run an RCS holster. While there is some abrasion on the inside of the holster, the gun draws fine every time. I wouldn't worry about it.

WitchDoctor02
03-05-10, 15:33
As the others have said, there will be a little rubbing, but whatever it's worth, I run RCS holsters and have run guns with grip tape without any problems or need for modifications on the holsters. YMMV, but you'll know soon enough.

C45P312
03-05-10, 17:11
it is the accepted way by national trainers and the competitive world alike.

To answer the original question, I have small pieces of tape on my G17 and run an RCS holster. While there is some abrasion on the inside of the holster, the gun draws fine every time. I wouldn't worry about it.

I agree, I would Put the tape on the gun. It's not going to affect it that much. Like others have said, just make sure you'll stillbe able to draw from it without any hesitations.

Also, can you name these national and big dog trainers?

Jeff Franz
03-05-10, 18:07
I agree, I would Put the tape on the gun. It's not going to affect it that much. Like others have said, just make sure you'll stillbe able to draw from it without any hesitations.

Also, can you name these national and big dog trainers?

How about Magpul Dynamics - namely Chris Costa, Travis Haley, et al? During the handgun primer of my carbine course in October in Louisville, KY, Costa went over the importance of and correct way to perform a press check with a secondary weapon system. The recount I gave in my last post was the gist of what he instructed us to do and the reasons why. You have much more control, especially with the gun up in your workspace, eyes down range, when performing a press check from the front of the slide. Further, it does not obstruct your view of the chamber, as grabbing the rear of the slide can. It is also covered in their DVDs - watch any of them and you will see them press check their secondaries this way. I haven't trained with or even met him (yet), and this is purely second hand knowledge, but I have heard from others that Vickers teaches the same method. Of this I admittedly cannot be sure, but have no reason to question its validity.

Again, do it however you wish. I'm not condemning or judging anyone for how they choose to do a press check, but merely supporting the OP with the rational for why I and many others perform a press check in that manner. I do, however, find it odd the OP was met with such incredulity and condescension when he presented the method widely taught by national trainers and used extensively if not exclusively in the higher end of the competitive world.

jaxman7
03-06-10, 00:34
Like I said guys in the first post 'all arguments aside'. Ha ha I do appreciate everyones input and advice. I will agree to disagree on the press check with some of you. I'll still use the forward portion of the slide. Y'all have a good weekend.

Business_Casual
03-06-10, 10:03
Still just as easy to use the rear of the slide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc_qf7NSWdI

Add your "how to" video and we can compare.

M_P

Sam
03-06-10, 11:16
Folks:
This thread ain't about press checking. Please answer his question directly. Start a press check thread if you wish to discuss your favorite style.
Thanks.

glocktogo
03-07-10, 07:08
One thing to consider is that grip tape grit may come off and if it does, it will get caught between the kydex and your slide. That may or may not be important to you, but it's worth considering.

jaxman7
03-07-10, 11:21
Good point glocktogo. Thanks. Maybe some JB weld!?!?!?!? HA HA!

Alpha Sierra
03-07-10, 15:19
deleted