PDA

View Full Version : How Many Range Safety Officers In A Pistol + Carbine Class?

30 cal slut
03-05-10, 14:36
For anyone who can remember, or who regularly organizes these classes ...

If you have 16-18 guys doing a "level I" pistol and carbine class, how many range officers do you typically have on hand?

Two?

Five?

Let's assume 2/3 of the attendees have never taken a formal "defensive" class taught by a tier-1 instructor.

thanks for your thoughts (and I apologize if this is the wrong forum).

PRGGodfather
03-05-10, 14:38
Usually, a 5:1 student teacher ratio is encouraged. Especially for a basic course -- which is not to say the more "experienced" folks aren't dangerous...

ST911
03-05-10, 17:15
A series of events I participate in annually requires a 1:1 ratio for all shooters, regardless of ability or previous experience. Extra insulation for promoters, and very very effective for the students. Others range from 5:1 to 3:1, depending on venue, sponsor, or insurer requirements.

I've been to several that are 10:1 or slightly more. Sub-optimal, but how much so depends on what you're doing and with whom.

Jay Cunningham
03-05-10, 17:41
Depends upon the number of students, experience of students, and instructor experience level.

lethal dose
03-05-10, 20:40
Generally, I run one instructor to every five students.

JSantoro
03-05-10, 23:33
For student experience levels that are mixed like M&Ms in a bag? Yeah, no less than 5:1.

Pathfinder Ops
03-06-10, 06:30
Usually, a 5:1 student teacher ratio is encouraged. Especially for a basic course -- which is not to say the more "experienced" folks aren't dangerous...

Same here.

In fact on a large group I will usually have a 5:1 / 6:1 max ratio of Cadre and if the class gets to the 18 student count I will actually bring on 1 additional person who is strictly the Range Master with no student responsibility. They strictly control range operations/ Safety.

That's a luxury we have and NOT common to many programs I have attended.

30 cal slut
03-06-10, 18:17
Great - that's good to know!

Thank you.

-slut