PDA

View Full Version : Question about M1911A1 field stripping

Slater
03-05-10, 18:50
Just bought a Springfield Armory GI 1911 as a fun gun/range plinker. It's my first 1911 so I'm going step-by-step by the manual for an initial disassembly and cleaning.

Problem is the slide stop doesn't seem to want to come out by using just finger pressure. Do these need to be tapped out? It's a brand new gun and maybe things are still really tight.

drrufo
03-05-10, 18:55
Make sure the slide stop is lined up with the little cut out that allows it to slide out. I sometimes need to use a screwdriver handle to start the slide.

9mm_shooter
03-05-10, 20:40
I think you may be right about the tight slide stop. I had the same problem with a (new rollmark) series 70 Colt. It gets easier after a few times.

Pappabear
03-06-10, 00:22
There are two little grooves, do not use the slide stop groove.

You tube has good video's. Short and sweet.

Business_Casual
03-06-10, 09:28
Is it lubricated?

M_P

Boothj
03-06-10, 09:46
With the production " GI" style pistols, they dont fit the parts to each individual gun. So one could be tight and the next one loose. It should loosen up over time. But also everyone here is correct, make sure you have the take down notch lined up, and not the slide stop notch.

Slater
03-06-10, 10:16
Yep, turns out that was the problem. Springfield's manual is vague at best, so I went to some online sites for more detailed guidance. I had the wrong notch lined up with the slide stop. Once I did it correctly it came right out. Live and learn, I guess.