PDA

View Full Version : Slings for Home Defense

Jay Cunningham
03-05-10, 22:01
I have been giving some additional thought to the use of slings on "home defense" long guns. For those here that keep a long gun ready for defensive purposes, have any of you chosen to omit the sling?

Steve
03-05-10, 22:17
I have one on my 870 a simple strap nothing fancy but you also take into the snag factor i scoup mine up along the for end and allows me to still run the gun with the sling trapped

that said on a home gun not much use unless you have to snatch up the kids or go hands on.... or the possibility of transitions

i feel there is no wrong or right on this its a personal thing

Jay Cunningham
03-05-10, 22:29
Sounds like you've thought about it a bit - good on you.

Don Robison
03-05-10, 22:43
i feel there is no wrong or right on this its a personal thing

The AR in the bedroom is the only one I have a single point sling on; the rest all have Vicker's two point slings. I'm not a big fan of single point slings, but in the anticipated application I'm not going to be running 100 yards with it hanging on me. It's more for in event that I need to transition or free my hands for another reason.
The kids are all gone, so I'm no longer worried about gathering up the chicks....................unless the grand kids happen to be here.:cool:

Jay Cunningham
03-05-10, 22:49
The AR in the bedroom is the only one I have a single point sling on; the rest all have Vicker's two point slings. I'm not a big fan of single point slings, but in the anticipated application I'm not going to be running 100 yards with it hanging on me. It's more for in event that I need to transition or free my hands for another reason.
The kids are all gone, so I'm no longer worried about gathering up the chicks....................unless the grand kids happen to be here.:cool:

So you are saying if you hear a bump in the night and you feel compelled to grab your carbine you are going to sling into it - correct? Do you think that you will actually have a sidearm to transition to? (Yes, I'm going to be asking lots of questions like this. ;))

Joeywhat
03-05-10, 22:59
I keep my sling on, but only because it's a PITA to remove and I don't care to keep screwing with it all the time. It doesn't really get in the way, and I train to just put the sling on when I pick up the rifle anyways so it's not just dangling there.

If I had more then one AR the HD rifle would not have a sling.

Jay Cunningham
03-05-10, 23:10
Interesting. Have you considered the QD attachments and just keeping the sling beside the carbine?

Don Robison
03-05-10, 23:21
So you are saying if you hear a bump in the night and you feel compelled to grab your carbine you are going to sling into it - correct? Do you think that you will actually have a sidearm to transition to? (Yes, I'm going to be asking lots of questions like this. ;))

If it's a bump in the night I may only have one gun on me, but yes I'll still sling it. There still may be a reason I need both hands free and I would rather not set it down. That said, more times than not I would rather have a pistol unless I'm going to one of the out buildings. I live out in the sticks and don't have any concerns about over penetration, but I do need both hands to open most of the buildings other than our house.
I'm probably strange in that I sleep with my pants and some slip on leather outdoor shoes bedside. No need to walk through broken glass bare foot.(something I don't think many think about)
Old habit from living in crap hole countries where you may need to leave where you are in the middle of the night unexpectedly.
Expected response time from law enforcement is 20 minutes if they can find the address on the first try and they are in the north end of the county. We've been here two years and haven't had anyone find our house their first time without us going out to the main road and guiding them in; if they are in the south part of the county it's 60 minutes best case scenario. The GPS address in both Garmin and Magellan for our house is off by about 1/2 mile.

Jay Cunningham
03-05-10, 23:27
So, I'm thinking about some different scenarios.

One is a true "bump in the night"... i.e. holy shit, what was that? up and out of bed grabbing a weapon.

The above scenario is different from the "honey I think I heard a noise out in the barn" scenario. Obviously you have a smidge more time in scenario #2... scenario #1 is pretty much pure reaction.

Yes?

Don Robison
03-05-10, 23:35
So, I'm thinking about some different scenarios.

One is a true "bump in the night"... i.e. holy shit, what was that? up and out of bed grabbing a weapon.

At a minimum slipping my shoes on and picking up the pistol with light and hand held light.

The above scenario is different from the "honey I think I heard a noise out in the barn" scenario. Obviously you have a smidge more time in scenario #2... scenario #1 is pretty much pure reaction.

Putting on pants, t-shirt, shoes pistol in holster, light in holster and carbine.

Yes?

Agreed, they are separate scenarios with different reaction times.
I may just turn the 60lb chow and 85lb boxer/pit lose to go "play" and follow them up with a shopvac.:eek:

bkb0000
03-05-10, 23:41
the sling stays on the HD carbine, but i don't sling up for bumps in the night. call me dated, but i still want the option of a butt-stroke.

Jay Cunningham
03-05-10, 23:44
That minute or two makes a huge difference, IMO.

I am considering the carbine as a viable "reaction weapon" (not trying to steal Magpul Dynamics' thunder here ;)) much like a pistol. In this compressed timeframe it may not make sense to sling up. With a minute or two you can easily don a warbelt and a carbine.

Just gaming through some scenarios here. Ultimately you want to be calling 911 and making sure that the family is safe.

Jay Cunningham
03-05-10, 23:46
the sling stays on the HD carbine, but i don't sling up for bumps in the night. call me dated, but i still want the option of a butt-stroke.

Do you think that dangling sling could be a liability? Can you not butt-stroke (or maybe more appropriately muzzle-strike) while wearing a sling?

(As I said before I will be asking loots of questions... nothing personal, don't get defensive... just trying to sort some ideas out.)

Don Robison
03-05-10, 23:51
That minute or two makes a huge difference, IMO.

I am considering the carbine as a viable "reaction weapon" (not trying to steal Magpul Dynamics' thunder here ;)) much like a pistol. In this compressed timeframe it may not make sense to sling up. With a minute or two you can easily don a warbelt and a carbine.

Just gaming through some scenarios here. Ultimately you want to be calling 911 and making sure that the family is safe.

Interesting you mention the war belt. That is what sits next to my carbine for the trips to the barn in the middle of the night; it's more convenient and I can wear it with sweat pants. I agree with you on all accounts, especially minutes count, but it doesn't take minutes to slide into a sling. I hate the term, but I'll use it anyway; muscle memory. If you always train your transitions using a sling I would say sling up. If you train your transitions without a sling don't sling up. It's probably a flaw in my training plan, but I don't think I've ever done a transition drill without a sling because all of my weapons have slings.

Jay Cunningham
03-05-10, 23:55
I agree with you on all accounts, especially minutes count, but it doesn't take minutes to slide into a sling. I hate the term, but I'll use it anyway; muscle memory. If you always train your transitions using a sling I would say sling up. If you train your transitions without a sling don't sling up. It's probably a flaw in my training plan, but I don't think I've ever done a transition drill without a sling because all of my weapons have slings.

Roger that - let's talk some more.

Is it realistic to train for transitions if you are grabbing a long gun... as Joe Civilian in a home defense scenario?

Don Robison
03-05-10, 23:58
Do you think that dangling sling could be a liability? Can you not butt-stroke (or maybe more appropriately muzzle-strike) while wearing a sling?

(As I said before I will be asking loots of questions... nothing personal, don't get defensive... just trying to sort some ideas out.)

Personally I'm not comfortable with a dangling sling. The one on my HD gun is a simple sling made with 1" tubular webbing a fastex buckle and HK clip that slides on the sling rather than being fixed to the sling. It's connected on the end plate.

Don Robison
03-06-10, 00:09
Roger that - let's talk some more.

Is it realistic to train for transitions if you are grabbing a long gun... as Joe Civilian in a home defense scenario?

Is it a probable scenario that you will have to do a transition in an HD scenario? IMHO it's doubtful that a person will have to perform a transition in a HD environment, but, the time to figure it out isn't when you need to do it. Like a good Boy Scout "Be Prepared".
I can only speak to my area, but the biggest threat out here is a redneck meth head looking to score something easy to pawn. There isn't much in the way of home invasions with multiple BGs or zombies; but I would rather train for the motivated violent offender and run into the redneck meth head than train for the redneck meth head and run into the motivated violent offender.

Jay Cunningham
03-06-10, 00:12
I don't mean to say "will your primary fail and you need to transition"... I mean to say "will you even have a secondary weapon?"...

Don Robison
03-06-10, 00:20
I don't mean to say "will your primary fail and you need to transition"... I mean to say "will you even have a secondary weapon?"...

Gotcha, I misunderstood.
I think it's a personal decision. Me, I would say it's highly likely. It's a standard I've trained to for a lot of years.

bkb0000
03-06-10, 00:26

no, i cant butt-stoke, or even really muzzle-strike, while slung with this sling.. holds the weapon too close to my body. i've got it adjusted to allow shoulder transitions and not much else.

it's an a-typical sling design, which keeps it pretty out of the way when un-slung... but its certainly possible that it could get entangled or become a retention liability- and i may address that, now that we're having this conversation. but while i want the ability to go blunt-weapon, i still also want the ability to sling up and grab kids or otherwise use my hands if a situation ever created the need.

Jay Cunningham
03-06-10, 00:30
What need might there be to go "hands on" with a intruder inside your own home when you are armed?

Could you being "slung up" make it easier for an aggressor to get leverage over you?

Don Robison
03-06-10, 00:48
What need might there be to go "hands on" with a intruder inside your own home when you are armed?

Could you being "slung up" make it easier for an aggressor to get leverage over you?

Great questions, yep it could happen. Yep, it's possible he could use it for leverage. IMO, A lot less likely with the sling I'm using which is why I'm using it i.e. floating HK clip and fastex buckle.

Counter question:
Could he gain control of your unslung carbine during the struggle and use it against you either by shooting or as a club?

Jay Cunningham
03-06-10, 00:50
Could he gain control of your unslung carbine during the struggle and use it against you either by shooting or as a club?

Yes, of course - a fight is a fight.

The questions I raise are going against the "you must have a sling on a fighting carbine" type... I'm not so sure.

Don Robison
03-06-10, 01:01
Yes, of course - a fight is a fight.

The questions I raise are going against the "you must have a sling on a fighting carbine" type... I'm not so sure.

I don't think it's a requirement if that is the only weapon you have. (no secondary) The two most common reasons for a sling are to carry the weapon slung and to aid in transitioning to a secondary weapon. You're not slinging it over your shoulder in your house looking for an intruder and you have no secondary weapon; what's it doing for you? Maybe it's dogma; but I don't think so. I think it's one of those "it depends" questions.

bkb0000
03-06-10, 01:05
i can think of some ways, at breath-distance, a sling could **** you up.. a butt-stroke would be pretty hard with a slung weapon- especially a single-point or similar... but think about the guy who's now cracking you in the face with your own stock while it's attached to you...

likewise, if you're just plain out-matched, tired, whatever, retreat will be a lot harder if he's got hold of your slung weapon.

i'm imagining this with my own sling- a 2-point run from the stock to the FSB would be a lot easier to get out of.

Jay Cunningham
03-06-10, 01:08
i can think of some ways, at breath-distance, a sling could **** you up.. a butt-stroke would be pretty hard with a slung weapon- especially a single-point or similar... but think about the guy who's now cracking you in the face with your own stock while it's attached to you...

likewise, if you're just plain out-matched, tired, whatever, retreat will be a lot harder if he's got hold of your slung weapon.

i'm imagining this with my own sling- a 2-point run from the stock to the FSB would be a lot easier to get out of.

Yes... I'm hoping I am causing some thoughts about this.

Jay Cunningham
03-06-10, 01:09
I don't think it's a requirement if that is the only weapon you have. (no secondary) The two most common reasons for a sling are to carry the weapon slung and to aid in transitioning to a secondary weapon. You're not slinging it over your shoulder in your house looking for an intruder and you have no secondary weapon; what's it doing for you? Maybe it's dogma; but I don't think so. I think it's one of those "it depends" questions.

Bang - you nailed it with that statement.

wake.joe
03-06-10, 01:17
Vickers 2-point on a home defense gun!

I could keep the sling pulled tight when it's just sitting here, so it doesn't get in the way. Doesn't dangle to catch onto things, and I wouldn't have to fight with it to get it into a shooting position. Just pick it up and go.

But in the event that I would need to sling it to do something else (Grab kids, leave, etc), I can just pull the tab and add to the length. No problems. :)

Theory!

Jay Cunningham
03-06-10, 01:19
Vickers 2-point on a home defense gun!

I could keep the sling pulled tight when it's just sitting here, so it doesn't get in the way. Doesn't dangle to catch onto things, and I wouldn't have to fight with it to get it into a shooting position. Just pick it up and go.

But in the event that I would need to sling it to do something else (Grab kids, leave, etc), I can just pull the tab and add to the length. No problems. :)

Theory!

So you are saying you have it snug to the point of being useless unless you have a bit of time to deploy it?

wake.joe
03-06-10, 01:22
So you are saying you have it snug to the point of being useless unless you have a bit of time to deploy it?

Exactly. Better to have a sling attached, doing nothing but not in the way, than it is to A) Have a sling that gets in the way (Might have to fight with it, twist it, etc to take up a shooting position), or B) No sling when you need it.

Pulling the tab on a Vickers sling doesn't take much time, as I'm sure you know. So if the option is to yank a tab and throw it over your shoulder/neck/back, or put it down and leave it so you can carry your kids, I think I would want to take it with. In the event of a fire or something like that is what I'm thinking, but whatever purpose it suites will work.

glocktogo
03-06-10, 01:45
As a LEO, I keep a VCAS 2 Pt on my carbine. But when I place it next to the bed at night, I pop it off. I figure inside my house I'll have little reason to sling up (I'll hold at gunpoint before cuffing solo on a home invader) and I really don't want it getting snagged on anything as I stumble out of a deep sleep at 2AM.

Jay Cunningham
03-06-10, 01:50
As a LEO, I keep a VCAS 2 Pt on my carbine. But when I place it next to the bed at night, I pop it off. I figure inside my house I'll have little reason to sling up (I'll hold at gunpoint before cuffing solo on a home invader) and I really don't want it getting snagged on anything as I stumble out of a deep sleep at 2AM.

Very interesting!

mudrock
03-06-10, 02:36
No sling on the handiest carbine and shotgun. I live in a small home and some of my HD scenarios involve surprise forcible entry while I'm sleeping. A sling seems an unnecessary complication.

I keep other long guns with sling attached, because some scenarios allow a bit of time to get gear in order and may involve lengthy waits before the situation is resolved.

rob_s
03-06-10, 04:06
On the subject of battle belts & "grab n go" I have an article submitted to SWAT outlining two of my solutions.

On the subject of slings on HD carbines, in my case no (I don't even have BUIS). However the carbine is, in my plan, more of a modern shotgun and intended largely as the barricading weapon. If I have a need to leave the saferoom I'll be taking a pistol (see the above re: grab n go).

I have, in the past, had a sling on the carbine that was folded up against the forend and secured with a rubberband in such a way as to be able to be quickly deployed if needed. This was mostly under the "better to have it and not need it" mentality. I don't think it would take much for anyone to 'what if" their way into reasons a sling might be of use.

I would actually like to see someone develop a product designed to secure a simple sling (or even just carry stap) to the carbine.

M4Fundi
03-06-10, 05:08
I unfortunately was in a shooting in my home about 3 years ago. I used a handgun and one attacker went down in the kitchen and had to carry out a wounded friend. I had a handgun and light. After exiting the house there were 2 more attackers outside that had left the house and I did not know their location. It was dark and with a body in my arms and gun in one hand I could not get to the light and was wishing it was mounted on my handgun as I spun around wildly in lowlight looking for an attack. The scenario of having a body in my arms to exit the home and get medical help while possibly engaging more attackers was not in my pre-imagined HD scenarios. If I had used an M4 with out a sling it would have been even more difficult. I carried a rifle for work for years with out a sling in the bush in several African countries and the thorns there were the reason slings were not permitted, but I will use a sling on my HD M4 for retention, no thorns in the house.

Another thought if you have to carry out wounded or children can you carry your M4 with you? Carry safely or practically? Or do you ditch it and possibly leave it to be used against you?

Shawn.L
03-06-10, 06:55
good discussion.

IMO I dont want to be "tied to the gun" if I wind up in a hands on struggle.

The carbine question in my house has me grab the carbine and hold down the hallway up to our bedrooms from a right hand corner. My sons room is right across the hall and if need be I transistion into his room and am then looking down the same hall from an opposite corner/doorway. In this scenerio I think the sling gives no benifit, and would only complicate the matter without any added benifit.

If I need to actually enter the house there are some narrow corners and halls I would not want to be tied up to my gun in should an aggressor suddenly rush me and manage to get on me.

ETA: I will be taking my first 2 carbine courses this year, and while I have had plenty of pistol, H2H, and weapons retention and disarms training I have formed these thoughts based on that. There is a very real chance my opinions will change after I have more formal training with this platform.

Buckaroo
03-06-10, 07:09
Interesting discussion, I am thinking that another reason not to have a sling is for our significant others. You may be like me and have a wife who's level of training/familiarity with the weapon is pretty low. It seems to me that a sling would be less helpful and more of a distraction.

BTW I vote this as sig line material!

I may just turn the 60lb chow and 85lb boxer/pit lose to go "play" and follow them up with a shopvac.:eek:

Buckaroo

EzGoingKev
03-06-10, 10:52
I keep my sling on my M4 all the time. I have a CQD plate installed and keep it clipped there single point style. I keep the M4 with a mag in it, no round in the chamber. I pull the sling up and drape it across the vertical grip.

I have run through drills where I get the rifle, work the charging handle, put the sling on, turn on the optic.

I have not been in a shooting so take my train of thought for whatever it is worth, but my reasoning for the sling is the same as the individual that had been involved in a shooting - you never know what is going to happen in a situation and having the sling on there gives you the option to free up your hands if needed.

Jay Cunningham
03-06-10, 12:28
(I don't even have BUIS)

Can you elaborate specifics and your thought process?

Iraq Ninja
03-06-10, 13:02
I keep a sling on on my home gun for weapon retention. Can also be used as a tourniquet if for some reason I can't get to the med kit, and yes, I can still use the weapon if needed if the sling is tied around my arm or leg.

If you can shoulder a slung rifle, you can muzzle punch with it. It is all about the proper technique.

Kalash
03-06-10, 14:11
I have been giving some additional thought to the use of slings on "home defense" long guns. For those here that keep a long gun ready for defensive purposes, have any of you chosen to omit the sling?

My HD weapon has no sling.
I think every longarm needs a sling like every pistol needs a holster but I changed my mind since the HD weapon stays indoors.

Iraq Ninja
03-06-10, 14:22
My HD weapon has no sling.
I think every longarm needs a sling like every pistol needs a holster but I changed my mind since the HD weapon stays indoors.

Ok, can you explain why you think a long gun inside your house does not require a sling?

Kalash
03-06-10, 14:26
Ok, can you explain why you think a long gun inside your house does not require a sling?
Because my HD long gun is a pump 870 and I've never felt comfortable with it with a sling attached.

subzero
03-06-10, 18:12
I see one good reason to sling up: weapon retention. If I end up hands-on with the BG, chances are the sling would aid me in keeping the gun so I wouldn't get shot with it. This is a very good thing to think about in close quarters, as it's fairly easy with all of the corners and angles inside a house for someone to grab my barrel when I come around a tight corner and initiate a hands-on scenario.

I have given thought to wrapping the sling in tape or a rubber band if I did keep it on the gun full time, so it could be both out of the way and ready to use at a moment's notice, but haven't put that into action.

However, I have also been giving a lot of thought to something Templar posted a while back: in a HD scenario, it might be more beneficial to grab a pistol instead. My 1911 with LG401s and a G2 I keep next to the bed are about the best close quarters low light fighting instruments I own.

DPB
03-06-10, 18:25
I have given thought to wrapping the sling in tape or a rubber band if I did keep it on the gun full time, so it could be both out of the way and ready to use at a moment's notice, but haven't put that into action.

This is exactly what I do. Not only on my "home rifle," but also in other situations (weapon in the vehicle, whatever) where the carbine is somewhere that the sling is not immediately needed or might catch on something during getting the gun out.

I use either rubber bands, an elastic boot blousing band (the wide type with the velcro), or masking tape, around the S-rolled sling and the stock. The sling is immediately available if you need it, but out of the way until you do.

30 cal slut
03-06-10, 18:43
well, i really can't think of a situation where having a sling could be a liability ...

i practice clearing my home with a slung rifle (Vickers 2 point adjustable sling).

so, on that basis, my sling is on my HD rifle. i have the option to ditch it if i need to (quick detach options on the sling itself and the sling mount).

i want to be able to retain it if i need to usher my family to a safe area.

VA_Dinger
03-06-10, 19:14
I personally will always keep a sling on my rifle. This seems like a good situation to use the S-Fold w/rubber band retention technique used in vehicle operations. That way the sling is secure and out of the way, yet assessable if I wanted to deploy it.

Larry talks about at 1:44 on this episode of Tactical Impact:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQXr08qho3U&feature=player_embedded

Jay Cunningham
03-06-10, 20:53
I personally will always keep a sling on my rifle. This seems like a good situation to use the S-Fold w/rubber band retention technique used in vehicle operations. That way the sling is secure and out of the way, yet assessable if I wanted to deploy it.

Larry talks about at 1:44 on this episode of Tactical Impact:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQXr08qho3U&feature=player_embedded

I am starting to really like the idea of a sling stowed to the rifle. For a while I was considering a QD sling next to my carbine but the rubber band retention may be superior.

ra2bach
03-08-10, 13:22
initially, I rejected the idea of a sling for HD under the assumptions that I wasn't going to be transitioning to a secondary, and saw no need. all the other reasons mentioned about being hindered if the perp got ahold of the gun, etc. make sense to me. worse yet, I have even had a dangling sling get fouled on a doorknob and that cemented my decision.

I can see the benefit of having a sling available if it is needed, I just thought the problems of a dangling sling outweighed the benefits.

now that it has been suggested that the sling be stowed on board in an "S" fold with a band of some kind, I'm open to that.

good discussion...

BLACK LION
03-08-10, 14:14
My sling for my AR is stays hung around my plate carrier/chest rig in the "gear locker" ... When I grab the AR for its HD duties there is no sling attached. For me, there is no necessity for a sling in my house... once it leaves the house the sling is connected via the QD mechanism.
For my shotgun the sling is attached to the shotgun scabbard that it sits in(acting as a spare shoulder strap) and that is how it remains in and out of the house...

I live in fairly tight quarters in which it may be more detrimental for me to run a sling for a few reasons... I would rather it not be attached to me if it needs to be set aside for some reason.... I have tried to patrol my house with a rig slung to my person and its almost like a big dog with a big tail in a small apartment...everything seems to bump into it.

jhs1969
03-08-10, 22:59
I keep a sling on my HD carbine. BFG Vickers 2 pt. I often don't sling up if going out after a varmint but do sling up if investigating an unusual noise (possible 2 legged varmits).

glocktogo
03-09-10, 08:51
I have some spare inner tube pieces from Larue laying around. I may try the "stowed" sling option and see what I think. I really do prefer a long gun to have a sling on it.

Jay Cunningham
03-09-10, 09:25
What is a good way to stow a sling to an AR without interfering with any weapon controls or functions?

jhs1969
03-09-10, 09:54
What is a good way to stow a sling to an AR without interfering with any weapon controls or functions?

Honestly I've never had any entanglement problems with letting the sling hang. As said ealier, I use a Vickers 2 pt sling and it doesn't have enough excess to cause me much trouble. If I need to scale a fence to investigate further, or such, then I will sling up as time is not an issue then.

Personally if I were to add rubber bands, or elastic strips or some other method to secure a sling I would feel I was just complicating things.

I certainly don't claim to be "in the know" or to have the answer, but these are just my concerns and opinions.

ztf HITMAN
03-09-10, 23:20
Strictly for HD, which would be more suitable? A single point or a 2 point?
Does anyone have any first-hand knowledge on the PIG single points @ SKD Tactical???

Failure2Stop
03-09-10, 23:48

I'll get some pics up soon.
There are times that a sling is unnecessary, and times that it is critical. Having the sling stowed for grab and go is good, so long as you have access to said sling when it's use is beneficial.

Hootiewho
03-12-10, 15:49
Ok,you are making your way through said home and take a blow to the head, be it a punch from a hidden perp or a thrown object. If you go out, god help you. If you are stunned, but still awake having a carbine slung may be the difference in life or death. If you fall at least the weapon is still with you and not easily taken off you to be used against you. There are 1000 what ifs to this, but me I'd roll with the sling. It makes no sense to train hours and hours with a sling only not to use one in the instance that it is for real. Also, when slung, if someone does try to take the carbine, you can use the sling to your advantage, fall back pulling them onto the muzzle. Now, I will say this would work a lot better for me and my 11.5" barrel than a longer barrel

TFin04
03-12-10, 16:03
House gun is a slick AK (no sling) with an Aimpoint and Surefire G2 on it.

I also use a mag clamp to have a second magazine on hand.

My house is tight, and the sling can/would cause all sorts of trouble on my nightstand to grab the gun, door handles, etc. I will only be grabbing one firearm, so transitions are unimportant.

I dont want to don a bag or chest rig, so the spare mag comes with. Same concept as carrying my pistol, the spare mag is more for malfunctions than needing more ammo, but I like having 60 rounds on the gun.

Optic is always on, rifle is always loaded. It's a true grab and go system.

Jay Cunningham
03-12-10, 18:23
House gun is a slick AK (no sling) with an Aimpoint and Surefire G2 on it.

I also use a mag clamp to have a second magazine on hand.

My house is tight, and the sling can/would cause all sorts of trouble on my nightstand to grab the gun, door handles, etc. I will only be grabbing one firearm, so transitions are unimportant.

I dont want to don a bag or chest rig, so the spare mag comes with. Same concept as carrying my pistol, the spare mag is more for malfunctions than needing more ammo, but I like having 60 rounds on the gun.

Optic is always on, rifle is always loaded. It's a true grab and go system.

I like the way you think fella.

TFin04
03-12-10, 20:06
I have a Mossberg that is loaded for HD as well, though the rifle is my first choice. I don't even own a sling for the shotty.

I'm moving from a house with the potential for longer range shots to a tight apartment so the Mossberg will probably become the primary 'house gun' soon.

DTHN2LGS
03-12-10, 20:40
I keep a VCAS sling on my gun at all times. I think I will steal the rubber band sling stowage idea though.

Jay Cunningham
05-04-10, 11:09
Let's get some pics of slings banded to ARs.

Jay Cunningham
05-04-10, 11:51
So I am trying this out to see if it is viable:

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll200/Thekatar/IMG_0481.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll200/Thekatar/IMG_0482.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll200/Thekatar/IMG_0483.jpg

I am trying to keep the sling off the controls and able to deploy with one pull. I think it would work better if I moved my rear point back to the stock (which I had planned on doing anyway).

rifleman2000
05-04-10, 11:54
I see one good reason to sling up: weapon retention. If I end up hands-on with the BG, chances are the sling would aid me in keeping the gun so I wouldn't get shot with it. This is a very good thing to think about in close quarters, as it's fairly easy with all of the corners and angles inside a house for someone to grab my barrel when I come around a tight corner and initiate a hands-on scenario.

However, I have also been giving a lot of thought to something Templar posted a while back: in a HD scenario, it might be more beneficial to grab a pistol instead. My 1911 with LG401s and a G2 I keep next to the bed are about the best close quarters low light fighting instruments I own.

The HD weapon I have procured for my wife has a sling just for retention. It is a 3 point sling. She is not big or strong, but now it will be hard for an intruder to yank the weapon from her hands. She (God forbid this ever happens) may gain another second to do what I showed her, use her weight to pull the gun back (pointing it at the intruder) and pulling the trigger.

rob_s
05-04-10, 12:01
I am trying to keep the sling off the controls and able to deploy with one pull. I think it would work better if I moved my rear point back to the stock (which I had planned on doing anyway).

Along the same lines as my thinking. I actually might consider a mount all the way forward and all the way rear just to flatten out the folded part as much as possible.

Does it interfere with your cheek weld at all as shown?

Jay Cunningham
05-04-10, 12:09
Does it interfere with your cheek weld at all as shown?

A little bit but not unworkable. One quick yank and the sling is deployed. I tried it with the sling rotated under the stock a bit - a little more tweaking and I think I'll be happy.

VMI-MO
05-04-10, 13:15
Try banding the sling up on the forend of the rifle. IME it is easier to deploy this way.

Another $.02, try to keep all metal keepers and plastic buckles rolled below the band. This way if you go to pull it, these protrusions on the sling wont catch the band.

PJ

Jay Cunningham
05-04-10, 14:07
I would tend to agree, however I haven't yet found a good method of banding on the forend that didn't screw with my grip and safety manipulation. Note my current configuration has a QD swivel at the rear of the receiver - that's why I mentioned moving it back to the stock.

Still experimenting.

BrianS
05-05-10, 01:35
What are you guys finding the sling interfering with in training or in practice? I have not run into an issue with it getting in the way myself while slung, and have practiced throwing an arm through the sling to the point it is fast enough I don't see it as a liability. I am also able to muzzle strike while slung. A step forward with my weak foot and punching the muzzle out 6-8 inches will put a lot of force on the muzzle with my body weight behind it.

Curious to hear what problems others have encountered.

bkb0000
05-05-10, 04:05
been like this for a couple weeks.. doesn't look too secure from the pic, but it hasn't really come unraveled on me. i adjust it every once in a while, but thats about it. and this weapon literally goes everywhere i go.
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab6/bkb0000/slings/100_3059.jpg?t=1273049355

this is how i'd kept it from a day or two after this thread started until i put the rubber band on. this keeps it tighter and more secure, but it's a small bitch to get unwrapped.
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab6/bkb0000/slings/100_3067.jpg?t=1273049426

bkb0000
05-05-10, 04:16
What are you guys finding the sling interfering with in training or in practice? I have not run into an issue with it getting in the way myself while slung, and have practiced throwing an arm through the sling to the point it is fast enough I don't see it as a liability. I am also able to muzzle strike while slung. A step forward with my weak foot and punching the muzzle out 6-8 inches will put a lot of force on the muzzle with my body weight behind it.

i always seem to get the steering wheel, for one- which rapidly decelerates any un-assing. that's enough by itself.

Jay Cunningham
05-05-10, 06:49

I am talking about jumping out of bed in your boxers and t-shirt and grabbing your carbine... dangling slings can get caught on doorknobs, etc. Some other guys are talking about deploying from vehicles.

VMI-MO
05-05-10, 07:08
I am talking about jumping out of bed in your boxers and t-shirt and grabbing your carbine... dangling slings can get caught on doorknobs, etc. Some other guys are talking about deploying from vehicles.

I have personally had a sling get caught on the stick shift. It was def a learning experience. It can take way too much time and it exposes your ass for to long to deal with a sling wrapped around stuff.

PJ

Six Feet Under
05-05-10, 16:40

I have a Blue Force Gear UDC single point sling on mine. I think I'd prefer the single point in a home scenario because the part that wraps around my body is wrapped around my body, and there's only a single strand of webbing going to the attachment point (receiver end plate, a Magpul ASAP), so it isn't as likely to get caught on anything such as doorknobs like guys have been saying in here.

I doubt the gun will be leaving my hands completely, unless by some chance of God I get into a hand-to-hand fight with whoever broke in my house (unlikely considering my plan of action) and then it would basically keep the gun from being taken from me unless they hit the right buckle and break it loose, which is really all I care about.

subzero
05-05-10, 18:13
I've been playing with banding the sling on the gun and haven't found a configuration I'm happy with yet. I have learned the following:

- Using a padded VCAS is a bad choice for this. Too thick.
- Using only the QD points on a DD Omega and a Magpul CTR put the sling right in line with the bolt release and/or safety.
- Banding the sling on the left (again with those same QD points) puts my in jeopardy of blocking the ejection port.
- A single point is easier to wrap up, but harder to jump into.
- The good old GI silent sling on 550 cord extensions works really well for this on an 870.

orionz06
05-05-10, 20:52
I use twist ties to hold it back and out of the way of the safety. It takes a deliberate yank to deploy the sling, but it is less of a yank than extending the Vickers sling. I will try to snap some pics soon.

G_M
05-06-10, 14:18
On my HD carbine I have a sling banded on the stock with the S-fold configuration. I use a BFG padded sling and yes it does get in the way of the bolt release paddle on the left side. But because of the way my gun is configured all of fire control is accessible from the right side so at the moment I can't forsee a problem.

Jay Cunningham
05-08-10, 02:17
Anyone seen this yet?

VTAC-PS ATTACHMENT SLING (http://vikingtactics.com/prod_vtac_specialty_slings.html#ps_attach_slng)

http://vikingtactics.com/images/vtac_ps_attch_slng1.jpg

Beat Trash
05-09-10, 11:59
I keep a sling on my carbine.

But to be honest, my "bump in the night gun" is a pistol with an attached light on it. I keep a handheld light next to the pistol.

My carbine is for static defensive usage.

I would not sling up if in a static position. But then I don't see it being a liability either.

If I have a property with outbuildings, then my needs would obviously be different, and I would sling up prior to going out to investigate.

When my static defensive gun was a shotgun, it didn't have a sling on it at all.

blackscot
05-12-10, 07:18
AR yes, shotgun no.

The former is for the social unrest, Katrina-esque, SHTF -- call it what you will -- scenario, requiring staying substantially armed (more than a handgun) for extended multi-hour to multi-day periods of watch and/or patrol.

The latter is for the bump-in-the-night, oh-dark-thirty, what/who-the-hell-is-that -- call it what you will -- scenario, requiring immediate roll-out with instant maximum destructive force. Planning and practice have indicated a sling here would likely be of little use, and to the contrary could be a substantial deteriment in hindering rapid and difficult maneuvering.

rob_s
05-12-10, 07:34
Anyone seen this yet?

VTAC-PS ATTACHMENT SLING (http://vikingtactics.com/prod_vtac_specialty_slings.html#ps_attach_slng)

http://vikingtactics.com/images/vtac_ps_attch_slng1.jpg

I'd like to see a video of it being deployed, and pics of it attached to the gun.