PDA

View Full Version : Six year old suspended for gun gesture

R/Tdrvr
03-06-10, 09:34
And so it continues....
http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/03/ionia_kindergartener_suspended.html

March 04, 2010, 10:39PM
IONIA -- To the little boy's mother, it was just a 6-year-old boy playing around.

But when Mason Jammer, a kindergarten student at Jefferson Elementary in Ionia, curled his fist into the shape of a gun Wednesday and pointed it at another student, school officials said it was no laughing matter.

They suspended Mason until Friday, saying the behavior made other students uncomfortable, said Erin Jammer, Mason's mother.

School officials allege Mason had displayed this kind of behavior for several months, despite numerous warnings.

"I do think it's too harsh for a six-year-old," said Jammer, who was previously warned that if Mason continued the practice he would be suspended. "He's six and he just likes to play."

Jammer says her son isn't violent, and there are other, more effective ways of teaching him not to make a gun with his hand.

"Maybe what you could do is take his recess away," suggested Jammer, adding her son doesn't have toy guns at home.

"He's only six and he doesn't understand any of this."

BrigandTwoFour
03-06-10, 09:37
Have they already banned playing cops and robbers?

dbrowne1
03-06-10, 09:43

Mac5.56
03-06-10, 11:00
I'm about 5 months away from getting married to the woman I love. Naturally the conversations about children are coming up. These stories terrify me. As do stories I hear about my friends child entering public school.

Kids can't be kids anymore. Well I'll be damned that I am going to raise a nanny state surrogate in capable of being human!

Irish
03-06-10, 11:34
Ridiculous. The administrators should get a good cuff upside the head.

ST911
03-06-10, 16:43
While hand-wringing bedwetters abound, and frequently make nonsensical decisions based on "zero tolerance" policies, I'd like to know just a wee bit more about Mason. The things that couldn't be published. I'll bet a coke Mason has some other behavioral issues, but this is the one they used. Seen it, many times.

It occurred Wednesday, and he was suspended untili Friday. I read that he was probably sent home Wednesday, sat out Thursday, and returned Friday. They could've overreacted a bit more.

School officials allege Mason had displayed this kind of behavior for several months, despite numerous warnings.

"I do think it's too harsh for a six-year-old," said Jammer, who was previously warned that if Mason continued the practice he would be suspended. "He's six and he just likes to play."

BiggLee71
03-06-10, 16:57
Ridiculous. The administrators should get a good cuff upside the head.

No doubt. We, as American citizens should demand and hold a "Zero Tolerance" policy toward our politicians and their minions who try to shove this p/c, anti-freedom crap down our throats. I guess these pieces of shit will push however far we let them. When and where will this type of non-sensical bullshit stop? Am I the only one who's sick and tired of having to put up with this shit? Sad thing is, we fund this crap by paying taxes. I guess thats why I like the Constitutions and not the politicians definition of "taxes"...not to mention the Founding Fathers laws of life but thats a WHOLE nother topic!!!!

Bill Bryant
03-06-10, 17:37
I wouldn't want my kids fed and clothed by the state, but I'd prefer that to having them educated by the state.

TomMcC
03-06-10, 20:13
Notice how the mother has bought into the whole leftist idea that making a gun with your hand is wrong, the real problem, evidently, was that the school was just too heavy handed in teaching him not to do it. Pathetic!

Parents have ultimately bought into the idea, that for the most part, there is no real alternative to state schools. It wasn't always like that. There are alternatives, but they are not easy, nor comfortable, but they are rewarding, and liberating.

Belmont31R
03-06-10, 20:43
All about teaching kids thats guns are bad and only get you into trouble. Also makes for effeminate males who cannot stand up for anything.

BTW I got put up for expulsion in HS for having some shotgun shells in my truck after a weekend of competition trap shooting. Kids got caught with tobacco products on campus, and got less of a punishment. My mom yanked me out, and I went on a program in a different district where I self studied, and took one day a week with a teacher. There are other options than just sending your kid 5 days a week to be taught far left ideology, etc. In that program I was able to complete classes at my own pace, and actually learned a lot more than I otherwise would have. Lets kids do work at their own pace instead of the schools which caters to the lowest common denominator.

Shadow1198
03-06-10, 20:46
Rambo said it best in the last movie, "**** the world." ;) lol

xfyrfiter
03-07-10, 12:20
I am old enough I can remember going to school with a gun in the truck .We were going hunting after classes let out . Some of my elementary schools were let out for the first day of deer season LOL. This PC bullshat has to stop!

GermanSynergy
03-07-10, 15:34
[QUOTE=BiggLee71@hotmail.com;592547]No doubt. We, as American citizens should demand and hold a "Zero Tolerance" policy toward our politicians and their minions who try to shove this p/c, anti-freedom crap down our throats. QUOTE]

Agree 100%.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-07-10, 17:30
Good thing the kid didn't make a sign of the cross...

James686
03-07-10, 18:28
"Maybe what you could do is take his recess away," suggested Jammer, adding her son doesn't have toy guns at home.
That's just wrong to deprive a child of that.
I'm starting to feel pretty old when I hear about this stuff, and I'm barely in my 30's. I remember being that age and actually taking toy guns to school, a black UZI squirt gun (w/removable magazine to fill), the days of Miami Vice. Not to mention in HS most kids having a shotgun in the truck for duck hunting before class. And never an incident. I worry about my kids with this kind of B.S. out there.

landrvrnut22
03-08-10, 08:10
I was afraid that these damn "zero tolerance" policies would get to this.

I carried a pocket knife from the time I was 8 yrs old to the time I graduated high school. We made "hand guns" and played cops and robbers, brought water pistols to school. I had a very nice Colt 1911 water pistol, btw.

I graduated HS in 2001, so I am not that old. My sister graduated in 2008, and school was completely different for her. They started this cooperative learning crap, where the kids worked in groups. We were sat down in a desk by ourselves, and forced to do our own work, and figure it out by ourself. Hell, we were paddled in elementary school.

Today, I have earned everything I own, and work my ass off everyday. My sister thinks she deserves everything, and freeloads off my parents.

I share these stories with my wife. She was home schooled, and private schooled, then attended high school where I did. She thinks this is all crap. We are starting to talk about having children, and I am seriously considering homeschooling.

Someone needs to put a stop to all this crap.

ST911
03-08-10, 10:50
That's just wrong to deprive a child of that.

There are no toy guns in my home. Not a single one. What are we missing?

Dos Cylindros
03-08-10, 11:04
This stuff really eats at me. It's the pussification of America. I have seen this on so many levels, from handling school crime as a patrol officer, to the fact that my wife is a teacher and she can't even let her kids play dodgeball because it is "violent," and excludes kids when they get knocked out of the game.

JonnyVain
03-08-10, 11:17
It has really gotten ridiculous. As I said in this thread:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=48582

If "childhood me" got sent to public schools these days, he wouldn't last a day without being expelled. And I wasn't a bad kid at all. Never cut class, got good grades, didn't cause fights.

This just goes to show how stupid kids are these days. Telling on someone doesn't prevent you from getting shot with an imaginary gun. That's what force fields are for!

I'm not sure if force fields work against imaginary nukes though. We always had arguments about that in elemetary school. I guess we should have called the UN in.

SouthWolfGA
03-08-10, 11:22
This is exactly why I will home school my kids at least until they reach Middle School and hopefully I can afford a private school by then.

TomMcC
03-08-10, 16:31
This is exactly why I will home school my kids at least until they reach Middle School and hopefully I can afford a private school by then.

Yep, this is what my wife, and I did 11yrs ago. It isn't easy though. I work two jobs, and my wife got reeeeeaaaal busy.

If parents saw this as a viable option, maybe the state indoctrination centers would dry up and blow away.

James686
03-08-10, 21:29
There are no toy guns in my home. Not a single one. What are we missing? Apparently nothing. My brief point was that if a parent or society make something taboo, the more intrigued a child becomes with it. Not saying toy guns need to be issued to every child in kindergarten, but they need to be "talked to" about firearms, just as you talk to them about crossing the street, or strangers. And preferably no points from a Brady pamphlet.

Irish
03-11-10, 00:34
Along the same lines... http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,588784,00.html

SHREVEPORT, La. — A 17-year-old student at Huntington High School has been arrested after allegedly bringing an unloaded BB gun onto the campus.

Authorities say Freddiericka Terrell was in or near the school's auditorium when she reportedly showed the gun to a group of students during a JROTC class on Wednesday. Shreveport police spokesman, Sgt. Bill Goodin, says the students reported the alleged incident to the school's security officer and Terrell was arrested.

Terrell, a junior, was booked into the Shreveport City Jail on one count of carrying a firearm or dangerous weapon on school property. If convicted, she faces up to five years in prison.

In addition, Terrell has been suspended from school, pending a hearing.