PDA

View Full Version : Is the Magpul Handgun DVD set worth it?

maximus83
03-06-10, 12:04
Has anyone tried the Magpul "Art of the Dynamic Handgun" DVD set? I wondered if it is worth it. I have the AR set and liked it.

http://store.magpul.com/product/71/76

civilian
03-06-10, 12:15
What constitutes "worth it" to you? If you like the carbine videos, then I'm sure you'll like the handgun videos. Like any other training course, they pound the basics into your head and then go through real time application of the basics. Like any other training course, it's up to the user to decide whether they've learned anything new worth retaining that they can adapt in their own weapon handling ttp's.

maximus83
03-06-10, 12:24
What constitutes "worth it" to you?

[Edited to add]
Sound advice on movement and shooting in tactical situations.

m98evolution
03-06-10, 12:44
I personally found the DVD to be worth the paid price. There are a lot of great concepts and the drills are easy to follow. YMMV as it depends on which techniques you actually choose to adopt. I got mine on eBay where they sell new/used for a little less than retail.

jcase64
03-06-10, 12:59
8 hours of typical magpul eye candy :) there were a few things I picked up. And the drills are good.

Sparky5019
03-06-10, 13:13
Great stuff from the basics on up! I love mine!

Sparky

Iraq Ninja
03-06-10, 13:25
I finally got my DVDs over here, after having to go through Brownell's due to my location.

I thought it was well worth the price, and the production was first rate as always. For me, the Magpul videos are great team training aids. It is something you can sit the boys down to watch together and they will actually enjoy watching.

So many other videos on the market have such a poor presentation that they turn off those folks who you are trying to motivate to train.

Ak44
03-06-10, 13:52
I enjoyed it, learned a few things. Reinforced a lot of stuff I was taught a few years ago. Worst case scenario if you don't like it, I'm sure someone will buy it off you on the cheap :cool:

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-06-10, 15:20
[Edited to add]
Sound advice on movement and shooting in tactical situations.

Magpul says that they are teaching weapon manipulation, shooting techniques and position. Now they obviously get into how those would be used, but they are not teaching you how to clear a house or run a protective detail. They even say that in the second Carbine DVD and they said it in my Handgun class.

So many other videos on the market have such a poor presentation that they turn off those folks who you are trying to motivate to train.

I have finally figure out what differentiates the MD from all the other DVDs and shows I've seen: Fake Wood Panelling, or the lack there off.

MD has none of it, all other gun videos seem to always have a guy making, if you turned the sound off, a kidnapping ransom demand video from some panelled, poorly lit basement. They even sound like they are reading a ransom note.

Magpul uses a crashed airplane. The closest MD got to the panelling was the first carbine video when Costa talks about gear infront of a brick wall.

That and kick ass sound track.

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-06-10, 16:14
The ridiculous soundtrack makes it harder for me to take seriously. I mean, as I listen to it I keep looking around for my game controller.

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-06-10, 16:26
The part where the guy hugs his dad is nice. Tough old dude was shooting a .357 through glass inside a car. If he didn't have hearing problems before!:D

rugbymike
03-06-10, 19:21
Having only had Basic instruction in the Marines I didin't know much. Magpul's DVD explains all facets of pistol shooting and employing it. Great video, I think Military and LEO should all use it. No fluff or theory just a lot of simple stuff that works and works well.

oef24
03-07-10, 00:56
I believe it is worth it. It contains a lot of information that most of us have heard and practiced before but presented in a different manner. The videos are very professional and are almost 8 hours long! It took me a week to get through the whole thing. Go for it!

O

Signel
03-08-10, 22:55
I've been watching it for the last few days along with the carbine2 dvds. They are worth it.

Any DVD that gets you to start thinking about training and what you might be doing wrong, and what you can do to improve is worth it. Chris and Travis might be unorthodox at times, but they believe in their systems and they are successful. Some of the stuff they train might not work for everyone, or might seem hokey (speed reload on the carbine with the magazine flip), but whatever works.

Chris dogged my Vickers blue force sling on carbine 2. It works for me and I am sticking with it. I am going to get an Asp so I can do the easier off hand shooting. They showed me how I could be better with the gear I do have and like with some minor adjustments to the setup.

I learn something new from these guys every time I watch.

TEXAS_GLOCKER
03-09-10, 00:58
I havnt had any formal training but Ive seen alot of training videos and the Magpul are by far , in my humble opinoin, the best out there right now. I have all but the aerial platform but thats soon to be on order too. Ive been reaserching who Ive wanted to train with for some time and I really like thier techniques and way of training. So to get started Im taking the hangun 1&2 to get the basics down,also because thats what is most likely my first defense, then Ill progress to the carbine. And the bonus is that after I take thier classes Ill have some
reference to look back to. So, Yes they are worth it, especially if your are interested in there training.

ForTehNguyen
03-09-10, 12:34
has to be good when my mom just randomly walks in and sits down on the couch to watch

Abraxas
03-09-10, 12:36
The ridiculous soundtrack makes it harder for me to take seriously. I mean, as I listen to it I keep looking around for my game controller.

I like the videos, but I had the same thought.:D Did not bother me though

abcsRezy
03-11-10, 14:11
it was an excellent series i got to watch with a buddy. they do some neat stuff that makes me think about the way i run my guns, how i could do better, etc.

Most of all though, their dvds make me want to get to the range RIGHT NOW.

the only thing that could have been better is, if they including a music video. maybe Mr.'s Haley and Costa lip syncing to Rush :D.

Hope i'll get to one of their training sessions in the next couple years.

abcsRezy
03-16-10, 02:45
also, you've got to love the appendage carry - i carry my appendage with me at all times, and its always ready to go, unless i've had a few.

Sabre675
03-16-10, 03:27
:cool:

5thprofession47
03-16-10, 11:06
Yes, it's a great DVD with plenty of solid information.

GermanSynergy
03-16-10, 14:19
Yes. It's outstanding in every way.

Microwvbleturtle
03-27-10, 17:09
The DVD set is honestly worth every penny.

I would say my only improve would be that before teaching a CCW course, both Travis and Chris hop in a tanning booth. Haha.

Erik 1
03-27-10, 23:41
I finally got my DVDs over here, after having to go through Brownell's due to my location.

I thought it was well worth the price, and the production was first rate as always. For me, the Magpul videos are great team training aids. It is something you can sit the boys down to watch together and they will actually enjoy watching.

How about for someone who would be willing to put up with poor production values for good training? Would you say they are really good from a training perspective too? Thanks.

CoryCop25
03-28-10, 01:02
I think that the videos were great. I have been a handgun instructor for about 9 years and the video reminded me of some techniques I forgot about and taught me some new ones too. The ONLY down side of the videos was the fact that most of the time, I felt like I was smack in the middle of a Smith & Wesson commercial. Don't get me wrong, I own 4 M&Ps but I just felt that I was being overwhelmed with S&W products.

RWBlue
03-28-10, 01:02
Yes.
So are the Carbine DVDs.

Erik 1
03-28-10, 09:26
Thanks. I think I'll be buying these than.

ArmoredSheepdog
05-07-10, 19:18
Got the dvd set yesterday. I'm an hour and a half into the first one and have already found a number of things I need to adjust and work on for IDPA drills. Definately worth it. The outtakes are hilarious.

obucina
05-07-10, 21:28
Compared to almost all of the other DVDs I have seen, it blows them away. It reinforced much of what I have been applying at the range. I hope the guys will be somewhere in south florida or anywhere in florida next year, so I can take the class.

oh, and the red head chick is hawt :D

C4IGrant
05-07-10, 21:53
You are always better off going to an actual class.

If that is not an option, then the DVD's are a good option I think (as long as you actually practice the drills).

C4

vecdran
06-05-10, 21:08
As a first time handgun owner, it provided a wealth of useful information to make sure I started off my training with the right concepts, instead of building up training scars with dumb crap that I improperly "figured out" on my own. It's obviously no replacement for actual classes, but for someone who didn't know much at all previously, it was a great help.

I only hope that when I eventually make it to one of their classes, I don't make a fool of myself. :p (I have this odd urge to stroke Costa's beard...)

ChicagoTex
06-05-10, 22:54
The outtakes are hilarious.

"So, do you like cookie dough?" :D

Yes, the Magpul Handgun DVDs are totally worth it, especially if they're your first exposure to this kind of video training.

I've seen the Thunder Ranch and Gunsite handgun videos before I saw the Magpul vids so I'd be lying if I said I truly learned anything new (by contrast, I learned tons of new stuff from the Tactical Carbine vids), but I definetely gained from seeing Travis and Chris's perspective on things (particularly their "big boy rules" style of malfunction clearances) and it was certainly entertaining. The test scenarios at the end are extremely cool, as well.

blackcpull
07-13-10, 00:22
I think it's awesome. Very detailed and educational for all levels.

CplHicks
07-14-10, 10:51
I think that they are well worth the money.

I found there was plenty of advice in them, for instance making the correct choices when it comes to holsters, belts, lights and other accessories. There great to watch, as said I found the outakes great.

Strikeforcewombat
07-26-10, 14:03
Recently got my hands on a copy myself. Loved it, worth it I think the wood paneling theory might actually be close.... Though the more I watch these DvD's the more I just hope Chris will look into the camera and go CHRIS COSTA HERE WITH THE NEW MAGPUL....

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz171/Merc_bucket/BillyCostahere.jpg?t=1280170955

steve126a
08-12-10, 16:31
I found them to be pretty informative. Most of the stuff I already knew and practiced, but the way it was presented made a lot more sense than I had heard it before. Very good instruction and quality video production.

AZ-Renegade
08-21-10, 20:02
My station purchased the Dynamic Handgun DVDs at my request for our firearms program. Alot of the stuff in it was similar to what we teach at the Academy but some of the techniques were new to me. I really liked how they teach not to deal with every malfunction with the "tap and rack" immediate action drill. I hope to implement their "big boy rules" immediate action drills to the upcoming quarterly qualifications at my station.

rojocorsa
03-13-11, 22:04
After reviewing this thread and others like it, I went ahead and ordered this set.

As a n00b, I understand that these videos are not a substitute for a real training course, but I have no access to that right now. I don't even have a fricken handgun right now, but I've been very interested in this stuff. I just figured it makes sense to start with these videos, as a primer. Not to mention, that I'd rather watch some professionals rather than learning some bad habits whenever I get a pistol.

Softballguy
04-15-11, 21:58
I bought this DVD set earlier this year and was so impressed with what it taught me that I used it to help teach my 8-year old son how to properly handle a handgun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDQK9LR5Rb4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScJTi4lEDEo

The section on proper grip alone was worth the price of the DVD set for me.

I picked up the Tactical Rifle DVD shortly afterward and really learned a lot from that set too.

Look around on eBay for deals though. It took a little while, but I saved $10 per new/unopened DVD set there and got free shipping on each.

Call_me_Tom
04-15-11, 22:21
I think it's worth the money. I continue to watch them repeatedly.

dan1775
04-15-11, 23:15
I think it was money well spent. Good instruction, and Magpul production value are head and shoulders above anybody else's videos that I've seen.

I'm shocked no one has yet mentioned the eye candy in this one.

obucina
11-09-11, 21:16
I think it was money well spent. Good instruction, and Magpul production value are head and shoulders above anybody else's videos that I've seen.

I'm shocked no one has yet mentioned the eye candy in this one.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=648751&postcount=29 :p