PDA

View Full Version : Magpul MOE grip problem(s)

Amicus
03-06-10, 21:57
I received a MOE grip the other day, and experienced the following:

(1) No matter how tightly I attempt to screw the attachment screw into my receiver, the grip will rock forward and back;

(2) The grip required a great deal of effort to fit on to a Colt receiver; and,

(3) The plug for the core, although seemingly firmly seated, rattles with any motion.

Anyone else have these problems? I may seem excessively picky, but as problem (1), above, put the grip in the "defective" column for me, I thought I would get finicky.

Belmont31R
03-06-10, 22:21
The MOE seems to be tight fitting on a variety of recievers.

Try heating the screw some. Magpul ships them with the blue thread locker on them, and it causes the screw to be pretty hard to screw in. The heat will soften the thread locker some. Also maybe try the original grip screw to cure the looseness problem. Are you sure you are tightening down the Magpul screw all the way?

The MOE grip cap is a POS in my opinion but its a "bargain" grip. I replaced mine with MIAD inserts which fit much more snuggly.

Amicus
03-06-10, 22:56
The MOE seems to be tight fitting on a variety of recievers.

Try heating the screw some. Magpul ships them with the blue thread locker on them, and it causes the screw to be pretty hard to screw in. The heat will soften the thread locker some. Also maybe try the original grip screw to cure the looseness problem. Are you sure you are tightening down the Magpul screw all the way?

The MOE grip cap is a POS in my opinion but its a "bargain" grip. I replaced mine with MIAD inserts which fit much more snuggly.

I can try both heat and the original screw. I thought I had it all the way in, but ... As they say, this ain't my first rodeo, but it's my first on the MOE grip.

If that works, I'll keep the MIAD inserts in mind. Thanks.

Jimbo45
03-06-10, 23:35
Yeah, I installed a MOE grip the other day, and had to remove most of the blue thread lock. I couldn't get the screw halfway in with all that goop they put on there. Oh, I would be careful using a standard screw with the MOE grip....they are completely different lengths, I think the MOE screw is shorter, and I wouldn't want to run a screw up into the FCG.

Amicus
03-07-10, 01:05
Well, heat worked. Got the screw in nice and tight and no play in the grip. I hate to say it after all this, but I think I like the old A2 grip better. I'll give it a chance though.

rob_s
03-07-10, 04:16
Ugh, I don't think there's a grip I like less than the A2, except maybe the Hogue.

The plug rattles on every MOE I've ever had or seen. I find the plugs all over in places like my shooting bag, on the floor at my feet at the range, etc. Not sure why it can't fit well like the MIAD one does, but it's in the grip body not the cap itself as I've swapped over a comple of MIAD plugs to check.

on non-SBRs I just toss the plug and don't care, but on my SBRs I like to keep my paperwork in there.

HeavyDuty
03-07-10, 07:45
That's odd - I have three MOE grips and each needs a man and a small boy to open the supplied plug. No rattling, either.

All three were purchased since September last year. Maybe they tightened up the die?

Amicus
03-07-10, 09:03
Ugh, I don't think there's a grip I like less than the A2, except maybe the Hogue.

The plug rattles on every MOE I've ever had or seen. I find the plugs all over in places like my shooting bag, on the floor at my feet at the range, etc. Not sure why it can't fit well like the MIAD one does, but it's in the grip body not the cap itself as I've swapped over a comple of MIAD plugs to check.

on non-SBRs I just toss the plug and don't care, but on my SBRs I like to keep my paperwork in there.

Thanks rob_s. As for the A2, it is what I am used to, and there's that old saying: even a broken watch has the right time twice a day.

It's the core that bothers me. I wanted to see if it would work well in its bolt/firing pin version. I'd hat to have the plug drop out of a grip and lose items worth 3-4 times the value of the grip.

As for the SBR, you gotta keep that paperwork somewhere.

Amicus
03-07-10, 09:07
HeavyDuty:

Yep, it's a three handed job to remove the sucker, and rattles too.

markm
03-07-10, 10:44
I tried a MOE, but didn't like the feel. I can't get used to a grip without the finger groove.

My trap door cover kept falling out even though I didn't store anything inside the grip. The first time it happened I thought I had found someone's grip door... but it was mine.

Not being much of a grip homo, I just use the standard A2... but I have one MIAD that I bought for the hell of it.

subzero
03-07-10, 13:01
I've taken more than one A2 grip to a Dremel with the paddlewheel sander. I can't stand that stupid groove. Sanding it down makes it better, but I prefer the MOE. I'd like the MOE even better if they made a duckbill version.

All of my grip doors rattle. I wedge a piece of tape at the back to keep the rattle to a minimum.

chadbag
03-07-10, 15:08
Try putting the screw in all the way once without the grip on. This makes sure it goes in, does not cross thread, and you get the threadlocker off enough so that it will go in once you try it again.

DaBears_85
03-07-10, 19:27
Thanks rob_s. As for the A2, it is what I am used to, and there's that old saying: even a broken watch has the right time twice a day.

It's the core that bothers me. I wanted to see if it would work well in its bolt/firing pin version. I'd hat to have the plug drop out of a grip and lose items worth 3-4 times the value of the grip.

As for the SBR, you gotta keep that paperwork somewhere.

I used to like the A2 as well. When I first got the MOE I didn't like it at all. In fact I was kinda pissed, so I just put the A2 back on my 6920. For reasons I don't recall, I put the MOE back on awhile ago and now I love it. After I had gotten used to it I tried putting the old A2 back on while bored one day and found that I can't stand the A2 anymore. It's way to slim, although I do like the finger groove. So I think my point is that you just have to give it a chance. After awhile you'll get used to it and hopefully love it as much as I love mine.

I never had any problems with play in the grip but since you've got that solved there's no need to go any further with that. I will say with regard to the bolt/firing pin insert that mine fits in pretty snug. However (and this may just be mine, or a bad batch or something), the firing pin didn't stay in its little clip and would rattle around inside the grip. Also, the slot where you put the spare bolt in is much bigger than the actual width of the bolt. So that will also rattle around inside of the grip, and if for some reason you hold your rifle upside down it will fall out of its holster. I found that the firing pin problem can be solved by pushing it back in its clip as hard as you can. This seems to keep it in place. As far as the bolt, if you put a piece of electrical tape around the body of the bolt it will stay very firmly in place.

After thought: Has anybody else had this problem with the firing pin/bolt storage grip insert, or was mine just defective?

Belmont31R
03-07-10, 19:41
I used to like the A2 as well. When I first got the MOE I didn't like it at all. In fact I was kinda pissed, so I just put the A2 back on my 6920. For reasons I don't recall, I put the MOE back on awhile ago and now I love it. After I had gotten used to it I tried putting the old A2 back on while bored one day and found that I can't stand the A2 anymore. It's way to slim, although I do like the finger groove. So I think my point is that you just have to give it a chance. After awhile you'll get used to it and hopefully love it as much as I love mine.

After thought: Has anybody else had this problem with the firing pin/bolt storage grip insert, or was mine just defective?

I never had any problems with play in the grip but since you've got that solved there's no need to go any further with that. I will say with regard to the bolt/firing pin insert that mine fits in pretty snug. However (and this may just be mine, or a bad batch or something), the firing pin didn't stay in its little clip and would rattle around inside the grip. Also, the slot where you put the spare bolt in is much bigger than the actual width of the bolt. So that will also rattle around inside of the grip, and if for some reason you hold your rifle upside down it will fall out of its holster. I found that the firing pin problem can be solved by pushing it back in its clip as hard as you can. This seems to keep it in place. As far as the bolt, if you put a piece of electrical tape around the body of the bolt it will stay very firmly in place.

Try some foam in there. Wife use those foam wedges to put make up on?

DaBears_85
03-07-10, 20:07
Try some foam in there. Wife use those foam wedges to put make up on?

No, but I think my girlfriend might... :D

I solved the problem with a strip of electrical tape, I was just curious if other people had this issue or if it was just mine. Mostly because the clip that holds the firing pin looks deformed.

Alex V
03-08-10, 11:28
I just installed one this weekend. It was way to tight on the lower. Had to take a file to the inside of it and still needed some force to get it on there.

Turned down the screw and it is rock solid. The only thing is that even though the grip itself is right up to the reciever, the curved back part of it is not in contact with the reciever. Maybe about a 1/16" or 3/64" gap. But it does not bother me much.

The cover does rattle, but it does not fall out. Only problem is, I can not keep anything small in there like an allen key because it falls out past the cover lol.

chadbag
03-08-10, 11:32
MOE and MIAD grips are the reason God invented rubber mallets.

HeavyDuty
03-08-10, 12:47
I take my earlier comment back - mine do rattle a little. I never really noticed before.

Jimbo45
03-08-10, 12:57
Only problem is, I can not keep anything small in there like an allen key because it falls out past the cover lol.

Keep your small parts in a small ziplock parts bag, inside the grip. ;) Keeps them dry, rattle free, and they won't slide past the plug. The plug on my MOE grip is noticeable looser than the MIAD, but I can't imagine it falling out....the latch is difficult to remove, as is.

bobvila
03-08-10, 13:09
I keep an allen key in mine and it rattled around, so I stuffed some foam ear plugs in with it.

Alex V
03-08-10, 15:09
Keep your small parts in a small ziplock parts bag, inside the grip. ;) Keeps them dry, rattle free, and they won't slide past the plug. The plug on my MOE grip is noticeable looser than the MIAD, but I can't imagine it falling out....the latch is difficult to remove, as is.

D'Oh! [slaps forhead!] never even thought about the small ziploc bag

DaBears_85
03-08-10, 17:45

Yeah that's a pretty good idea. I'll keep that one in mind.

D. Christopher
03-09-10, 02:10
When it comes to those damned grip screws I never use them. Take one of those screws for comparison and go get the big black hex head screws that are commonly used to bolt in big speakers in pro audio gear and bass amps. Make sure and get the proper length so they won't be too long and interfere with the safety. No more fumbling around trying to get the grip screw started or in all the way, just put it on the end of your hex head wrench, stick it in there and tighten to spec. I have encountered the same problem with the MOE being too tight and hard to fit on several other brands of lower receivers, but not a Colt.

I fixed the rattle in my first MOE just by putting a small piece of gaffer tape on the "ears" of the grip plug, but I found a better fix. When I got my first MOE grip I thought I wanted to get a bolt/firing pin core and a CR123 battery core, but nobody ever had them in stock. While working on stopping the rattle in the plug I realized that the grip cores would take up a whole lot of valuable space inside the grip, so I started experimenting with what I could pack inside the grip. I put together a package of parts in the corner of a heavy clear plastic bag and heat sealed it. It slides neatly into the grip and also pushes back against the cap and helps stop that rattle, even without using the gaffer tape. There is a wadded up paper towel up in the grip so that the package is nice and tight, and doesn't move. (Also used to put the bolt & small parts on while I sort out problems in the field.)

My current MOE parts stash includes:
1 spare bolt
1 spare firing pin
2 123 batteries
5 rounds of ammo
1 set of gas rings
1 extractor, pin & springs
2 spare firing pin retainer pins
1 spare cam pin
detents and springs

Obviously you can pack a lot of important stuff in there, depending on your needs. My package is put together so that I can break open the bag to access the most needed items (bolt/firing pin/ammo/batteries) and the small parts are in 3 tiny ziplock parts bags that are painted fluorescent orange so they don't get lost. With this setup I can quickly and easily replace a bad bolt if needed and still have enough parts to probably fix the bad bolt later while still in the field. I also have enough parts that I can probably help a buddy get his rifle running again without giving up my most important parts. Though if I were in a really bad situation and the rifle next to me stopped working, I would probably drop the plug with my left hand and throw the package to him and say "take what you need!"

Magpul makes some great products, but the grip cores just take up too much valuable space for me. Buy more PMAGS instead and stuff that grip with the gear you need to keep your rifle running. Even just a few spare rounds or a bolt wrapped in a couple of paper towels is better than letting that space go to waste.

Jimbo45
03-09-10, 05:41
My current MOE parts stash includes:
1 spare bolt
1 spare firing pin
2 123 batteries
5 rounds of ammo
1 set of gas rings
1 extractor, pin & springs
2 spare firing pin retainer pins
1 spare cam pin
detents and springs

You fit all that in one MOE grip???? Wow, I wouldn't have guessed that would even come close to fitting! Nice. I just put in a few simple tools, and Aimpoint batteries.

Amicus
03-09-10, 09:06
D. Christopher:

Great post. I am going to have to try that, except I will probably pass on the painted bags (or, did you paint the parts?).

El Mac
03-09-10, 09:16

My feelings toward the A2/Hogue are exactly the same. They suck balls.

As for the MOE plug, its an easy easy fix. Use a heat gun, warm up the plug especially the part that 'locks' to the grip. Then spread it open a bit. Problem solved.

D. Christopher
03-09-10, 11:44
Amicus,

No paint on the parts, just colored bags. The important thing being that all the small parts are bagged so that they aren't lost if they get dropped in the mud. If you don't have the spare parts right now, you can always pull the bolt and firing pin next time you clean and see what fits. The ammo might be easier to keep loose because some rounds need to point up and some point down to maximize space. It took me several attempts to fit it all in, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised what you can pack in there, depending on your needs. You can easily fit the bolt, firing pin, extra batteries, and spare ammo without any effort at all. All the extra small parts are so I can be generous in training situations when somebody launches a detent and spring, or looses their FP retainer while cleaning.

Jimbo45, sounds like you've still got a little room left in that grip. Good luck and good shooting.

R/

Dave

Copis
03-09-10, 11:57
Howdy!

Ive replaced all of my grips with MOEs....what is a symptom/sign of cross threading? How can you tell?