PDA

View Full Version : Hearing Pro - Surefire EP3?

Joeywhat
03-06-10, 22:02
Looking for opinions on good ear pro, specifically earbud style devices that allow low dB noises to still be heard reasonably well. I've heard a lot about the Surefire EP3 but unfortunately 'EP3' can't be searched here so didn't find much...

What's the word on the EP3's in terms of overall protection and ability to hear normal conversations? I already have a cheap pair of electronic muffs which are OK, but are real bulky and leave a lot to be desired. Will the EP3's offer me the same performance but without the bulky package? Comfort is a HUGE issue, too...I usually have a hard time wearing silicone style hearing-pro, at work I always stick to the foam plugs else I go nucking futs.

What other options are out there like the EP3?

I'll be using these in classes and matches, handgun, rifle and shotty. So needs to offer good protection from the long guns, too. Won't be doing any magnum rifle shooting or anything like that with these.

boganz45
03-06-10, 23:46
The Ear Pro EP-3 Sonic Defenders by Surefire work well for outdoor use - best ear plugs I have used to date. I also have some AOSafety/Peltor Indoor/Outdoor Range E-A-R Plugs and while they work they are not as nice as the EP-3s. In the .mil there were times where the disposable yellow plugs were used and while they worked okay I would not recommend them if you have other options. For indoor use I never use just plugs.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-07-10, 00:16
I use the EP4 version in the large size. Not to gross you out, but I lick them before I put them in and they seal a lot better. The EP4s have a smaller plug in the main plug to let voices thru better. I usually just close the little plugs if I'm shooting a rifle indoors. They are only like $14, try a pair.

danpass
03-07-10, 00:20
I bought two pair of EP-3 Surefire Sonic Defenders, Medium, earlier today.

Tried them out at the range.

16db seems about right.

Very comfortable and wiggling them into the ear canal seems to be the way to get the best, quickest fit.

Even outdoors I consider them good for the occassional gun shot (hunting, precision rifle class, etc).

Given the constant gunshots, at the break I ended up switching to my usual purple Flents (Walmart has the 50 pair tub) that are 33db rated.

03-07-10, 08:40
I found the EP3s were too small for my ear canals. I ended up replacing them with the EP4. They are awesome and work as advertised. I have used them at indoor and outdoor ranges without a problem and have encounter everything from 22's to 308. I also wear them when I'm on my motorcycle. It definitely cuts down on the exhaust and wind noise. Gotta save the hearing.

Quiet-Matt
03-07-10, 10:01
I have been using a set of these for a while now and have been pretty happy with them. I like the fact that they allow me to have a conversation with them in(with the center plugs out) during cease fires. I try to keep my ear muffs close by for times when someone steps up to the line and starts unloading their 44mag right beside my head. They didn't quite do the job in that case:D Overall, they are effective, comfortable, and cheap ear pro. I have the EP3 model, it looks like theEP4 model offers a bit more db protection.

Here's Surefires web page link:
http://www.surefire.com/EP3-Sonic-Defenders

•16dB Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) for EP3 Sonic Defenders with stoppers in
•19dB Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) for EP4 Sonic Defenders Plus with stoppers in

El Mac
03-07-10, 14:07
I used them in Afghanistan and they worked like a champ. Excellent product, highly recommended.

danpass
03-07-10, 14:59
I'm still trying to understand the size situation between the -3 and -4.

The sizing chart doesn't differentiate between the two models.

The -3 fit me perfect but I'd like to have that extra 3 db of the -4 if possible.

Quiet-Matt
03-07-10, 15:20
Both 3 and 4 come in medium and large, but if you need small I think you can only get it in the 3. The size difference is not so much the stem that goes into the ear canal, but more the size of the earpiece that goes in the ear lobe; or what they call the "helix bowl".
I have small ears and my father-in-law has big ears, but we both wear size medium. Surefire claims that Medium should fit most people.

Joeywhat
03-07-10, 16:20
I'm going to try and grab a pair this week before the match next weekend...I'll try the 3 and 4's and see which works best, if the 4's fit OK I'll certainly like the extra attenuation.

danpass
03-07-10, 18:08
This is why I ask.

If 'medium' is 'medium' then why does this poster seem to differentiate?

I found the EP3s were too small for my ear canals. I ended up replacing them with the EP4. They are awesome and work as advertised. I have used them at indoor and outdoor ranges without a problem and have encounter everything from 22's to 308. I also wear them when I'm on my motorcycle. It definitely cuts down on the exhaust and wind noise. Gotta save the hearing.

Quiet-Matt
03-07-10, 18:40
Perhaps the 3s were size small and the 4s were size medium? Or the 4s were size large, in which case the stem that inserts into the ear canal does have 3 flanges instead of 2. Maybe 021411 can give us sizes to go with the models he tried.

danpass
03-07-10, 18:47
Perhaps the 3s were size small and the 4s were size medium? Or the 4s were size large, in which case the stem that inserts into the ear canal does have 3 flanges instead of 2. Maybe 021411 can give us sizes to go with the models he tried.

I'm hoping to see that it was a size difference lol :D

Nippy
03-08-10, 02:18
Has anyone used these in training or in places where there are multiple gun shots being fired rapidly? Just curious if it is good enough under those conditions as well.

El Mac
03-08-10, 07:17
Has anyone used these in training or in places where there are multiple gun shots being fired rapidly? Just curious if it is good enough under those conditions as well.

Uh, see post #7.

Nippy
03-08-10, 14:39
Thanks,
I read it again and it still says the same thing it did before. That you were in Afganastan and you used them and they were excellent.

It doesn't give me a feel for the level, duration and frequency of loud noises (i.e. gunfire) you were exposed to. Since I don't know what you did in Afg it leaves that up to my imagination :D And my imagination rarely tells me what I need to know hehe.

If you would like to elaborate I am sure I would find it useful!

danpass
03-08-10, 14:47
In my post I went from the -3 to my Flents (33db) when I was at the busy range (constant rifle next to me and all down the line and handguns at the far end).

Hope that helps at least clarify my experience.

spamsammich
03-08-10, 14:58
I used EP4s at an indoor range with the stoppers in and found them to be usable standing in the booth next to a guy firing an AR with no muzzle device doing controlled pairs for an hour. I chose to throw my muffs on over them to further reduce some of the blast because he was making me flinch. I spent 4 hours total using them with various AR toting club members filtering in and out of the range. Some of them chose to ignore range policy of no rapid fire, either that or they were part of a special class that was going on and were given the ok.

With the stoppers out, ARs indoors still sting a little but my ears don't ring afterward. Outdoors they work much better with ARs, I can use them without the stoppers and not hurt at the end of the day. I can shoot 9mm indoors and outdoors with the stoppers out but prefer to have the stoppers in on indoor ranges. Doubled up with muffs, they seem to provide MUCH more protection for my ears than foam plugs.

I'm very grateful for them considering how abused my ears are already after years of playing in jazz bands and firing without ear pro on many occasions while out camping in rural Alaska. I really don't want to be any more hard of hearing than I am.

danpass
03-08-10, 15:34
If you are already hard of hearing and had no issues with the stoppers out .............. well I don't know what to say :p

I have dog hearing so I'm keeping the stoppers in whenever the line is hot lol

David Thomas
03-08-10, 15:37
I do not think that they are enough for 45acp.
Even outside, but that is just my opinion. They are very comfortable, and when shooting inside I often use them in addition to electronic muffs.

The are perfect for riding motorcycles, though.

spamsammich
03-08-10, 15:43
I'm not sure what you're trying to insinuate, but I find that while stoppers out brings AR blast down to a less than painful/ear ringing level, there is enough pressure from the blast that gets through and makes you flinch. This is why I still wear muffs. With just muffs, I cannot shoot or be around ARs. Doubled up with foam, I can shoot pretty much anything I want but I can't hear shit unless you holler at me in my face. With the EP4s, no stoppers and muffs, it is a good balance of protection and being able to hear conversation. Especially shooting pistols. I want to try them with electronic ear pro/ no stoppers some day.

Nippy
03-08-10, 15:58
Ok now this is making more sense to me. I have seen instructors with EP3/4 use them when instructing or doing a demonstration of a drill. But they throw their muffs back on when students hit the line. So I was wondering why they do that, why don't they only wear muffs or just the EP3/4's

From the different experiences people have been posting it seems that at a certain point there is a threshold where the EP3/4's might not be enough. Depending on the caliber or number of shooters at the line.

Well that helps me a lot, I will probably get some and try them out but I won't leave my muffs at home either. :)

spamsammich
03-08-10, 16:16
That and like anything battery powered, when those cells go TU, you're just left with muffs. At least with the EP3/4 in, you have that extra layer of protection so you can preserve your hearing for sweet nothings.

JSantoro
03-08-10, 16:59
I want to try them with electronic ear pro/ no stoppers some day.

This is my ear-pro configuration for indoors shooting, rifle or pistol, and it's been a perfect balance of being able to hear and sound reduction. Nothing unusual, you still have to pay strict attention to any conversations you're having off the line, as whomever you are speaking to will end up having every 4th word cut off from the electronics doing their job.

Outdoors, either the plugs or the electronic stuff alone is sufficient for me, and I'm running around heavy machine guns for a solid chunk of my work.

I only have one issue with my plugs-in setup, and it's far more likely to be caused by my choice of electronic ear-pro. After a while, the plugs just plain hurt; the plugs are getting shoved inward too far. My ears don't protrude from my head too far, it seems, and I think that the foam at the center of the earcup presses on the plugs. I wear the small size. My electronic ear-pro are the Howard Leight lo-pro. Most often, I get so busy that I don't consciously notice it, really, but once I'm done or merely come to a point I can remove ear-pro, it sucks.

So, either I need to cut some length off the plugs, go back to using foamies, or get electronic ear-pro with deeper cups (but then I won't be able to cheek a carbine correctly).

spamsammich
03-08-10, 17:21
I hadn't considered the impact of having reduced room in the cups as a result of the electronics. I'll have to try some different brands, I was considering either HL or Sordins.

I don't find them to be too uncomfortable after 4 hours, but then again, I don't have additional pressure put on them to drive them into the ear canal. I can easily see that being painful. One time I pressed them in a touch too far and thought I stabbed my eyeball from the backside!

JSantoro
03-08-10, 19:20
Bear in mind, it could be something as simple as me having mutant-alien-enemy ear canals, too. Testing is your best course.

El Mac
03-09-10, 08:35
Thanks,
I read it again and it still says the same thing it did before. That you were in Afganastan and you used them and they were excellent.

It doesn't give me a feel for the level, duration and frequency of loud noises (i.e. gunfire) you were exposed to. Since I don't know what you did in Afg it leaves that up to my imagination :D And my imagination rarely tells me what I need to know hehe.

If you would like to elaborate I am sure I would find it useful!

Nippy, I don't post for my health and I think you can engage and read between the lines.

Put it this way, when on an objective during the lulls not knowing when things might crank up again, these are darn good hearing protection. You can leave the stoppers out and hear normal conversation but are protected from sudden loud sounds. Of course, as an instructor on the line might do, once things get going you would opt to put on the Peltors or if its 125 degrees - an on the ear commo headset.

Really. They are only about 15 bucks. Try 'em, you will like 'em. And if you don't, you haven't wasted much.

ABN
03-09-10, 14:38
If this helps anyone...the Army orange earplugs are size medium and thats what I was issued. I seem to remember being sized for earplugs, the vast majority of people are issued the orange plugs, which would correspond with Surefire stating most people would take a medium. The EP3 fit me well.

Erik 1
03-09-10, 15:25
I wear the small size. My electronic ear-pro are the Howard Leight lo-pro.

FWIW, I wear the small size with the inexpensive Howard Leight electronic muffs and have no problems at all. I don't know how it would feel for with low profile muffs, though.

ETA: With respect to the sizing, I found the instructions on the Surefire website to be accurate. Who knew I had small ears?

danpass
03-12-10, 09:16
I now have two pair each of -3 AND -4 lol

The -3 are good enough for house stuff (lawn, circ saw, etc) and the -4 are small enough in the ear canal for range use.

I was messing around with a -3 in the left and a -4 in the right ear but finally got the position right for a -4 in the left ear.

vietboy1st
07-30-10, 06:53
how do u know what size of surefire ear pros to buy ?:confused: I guess i have to try it at my local store. because online is much lower on price..

ROCKET20_GINSU
08-02-10, 01:23
how do u know what size of surefire ear pros to buy ?:confused: I guess i have to try it at my local store. because online is much lower on price..

use this chart: http://www.surefire.com/pdfs/EP3_sizingchart.pdf

Med seems to fit most based on my limited experience. I've used the EP3's very extensively and I am very happy with their performance, comfort and price. They are nowhere close to quality electronic muffs like the sordin supreme pro x's but they do a great job as regular ear plugs w/ the stoppers in, and let a "little" more noise in with the stoppers out. Honestly I don't notice a "big" difference in the non harmful noise passive qualities vs. normal plugs, but they are cheap, low profile and functional so I like em.

GU