PDA

View Full Version : My new build "Dimples"

nickdrak
03-07-10, 04:49
I reconfigured this gun to be a little less nose heavy, and better balanced overall. This gun started out as pictured below with the PRI rifle length carbon fiber handguard, LaRue low-profile gasblock, and the Vltor VST-1 attached to the barrel as a clamp-on folding front sight only (not as a functional gasblock). It ended up being too front heavy, and after running a few hundred rounds thru it, it just felt a little clunky when shooting multiple target drills.

Previous configuration:
http://i50.tinypic.com/153mw7k.jpg

I decided to try and balance it out, and wanted to have the barrel re-profiled a bit to lighten-up the front end. I saw that ADCO recently started doing barrel dimpling, and thought that might be perfect for this project. So I sold-off the handguard, and the Vltor VST-1 front sight to get the project started.

I swapped out the PRI tube for the VTAC/Troy 11" Extreme BattleRail, and I ordered one of KAC's new rail mounted Micro-Flip folding front sights. As was previously mentioned, I sent my barrel to ADCO last Saturday to be dimpled and coated with KG GunKote (Flat Black), and got it back exactly one week later.

Here's some pics of the finished product:

http://i45.tinypic.com/257hsif.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/f9pgf8.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/2m60l6t.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/wjjek4.jpg

I havent had the chance to shoot it yet, but it just feels much, much lighter, and about as perfectly balanced as any rifle I have ever handled.

Here's an updated list of the spec's:

UPPER:

*Daniel Defense M4 upper receiver

*Daniel Defense M16 BCG

*BCM 16" 1/7 Hammer Forged Middy barrel/Dimpled by ADCO

*VTAC 11" Extreme BattleRail

*BCM GunFighter Charging Handle

*LaRue low-profile gasblock

*Surefire MB556K Muzzle brake

*KAC Micro-Flip folding front sight

*MagPul MBUS rear sight

*MagPul AFG

LOWER:

*Stripped S&W M&P15 lower

*Colt LPK

*LMT standard MilSpec Trigger group tuned by Bill Springfield (4.5lb break)

*STARK Equipment SE-1 Grip

*MagPul ACS stock

*MagPul B.A.D.

OPTIC:

*Trijicon TR24G (Green Triangle) 1-4x24

*LaRue LT-135 (1.93" height) SPR mount

*It will wear a Surefire X300 in the 12 o'clock position directly in-front of the KAC folding front sight.

ColdDeadHands
03-07-10, 06:35
Cool, I kinda like the look.

Icedaddy56
03-07-10, 07:02
Nice job :D Did they give you an estimate of how much weight you save dimpling the barrel?

Cagemonkey
03-07-10, 08:27
That looks awesome. Have the dimples effected accuracy in any way? Any problems working with ADCO? I've Emailed them twice and tried to call. Their answering machine message says "Don't bother leaving a message. The machine doesn't get checked". I haven't been able to contact them. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I got a unmarked Noveske middy basic that I'd like to do the same thing to. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

ICANHITHIMMAN
03-07-10, 09:47
I love it it just looks great! I hate your pistol grip though

cop1211
03-07-10, 13:02
Looks nice, I like your pistol grip, but I like the PRI tube better.:D

nickdrak
03-07-10, 13:17
Nice job :D Did they give you an estimate of how much weight you save dimpling the barrel?

I only had the barrel dimpled in-front of the gasblock.
Prior to dimpling the barrel weighed 1.76lb

After dimpling 1.62lb

Not a huge weight reduction, but I wasnt looking for an ultralight barrel on this one. Just a well balanced rifle.

nickdrak
03-07-10, 13:38
That looks awesome. Have the dimples effected accuracy in any way? Any problems working with ADCO? I've Emailed them twice and tried to call. Their answering machine message says "Don't bother leaving a message. The machine doesn't get checked". I haven't been able to contact them. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I got a unmarked Noveske middy basic that I'd like to do the same thing to. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Havent shot it yet.

ADCO has done work on 3 different barrels for me in the past. Never a problem, the work was always done exactly as I requested, and I always had my barrel back within 7-10days. I have never talked to anyone over the phone there. I just placed the order for the specific shop service I wanted, and included any specific instructions I also wanted in the comments section when placing my order.

Check the FAQ section in the shop services page for all of the info you need.

nickdrak
03-07-10, 14:40
Looks nice, I like your pistol grip, but I like the PRI tube better.:D

Thanks! Yeah, the STARK grip sure aint the best looking grip out there, but it's the most comfortable by far for my hand. I also run one on my duty rifle.

I really liked the PRI tube also, but I found that I needed a continuous/uninterrupted top rail to facilitate proper eye relief with the Trijicon
TR24G/LT-135 and my preferred stock length of pull/shooting nose-to-charging handle.

And no matter how tightly I tightened down the handguard nut, the PRI tube still had a little bit of rotation by using just my hands. It took a bit of force to rotate it, but I just dont feel comfortable running a rail mounted filp-up front sight on the PRI tube.

Cagemonkey
03-07-10, 14:41
Havent shot it yet.

ADCO has done work on 3 different barrels for me in the past. Never a problem, the work was always done exactly as I requested, and I always had my barrel back within 7-10days. I have never talked to anyone over the phone there. I just placed the order for the specific shop service I wanted, and included any specific instructions I also wanted in the comments section when placing my order.

Chech the FAQ section in the shop services page for all of the info you need.
Thanks for the reply and info.

James686
03-07-10, 15:03
That's a great look.
How do you like the Troy BattleRail, does it fit "tighter" than the PRI? I ordered one about a month ago and waiting for it to finish a build.

hkhunter
03-07-10, 19:04
what dis ADCO charge for the barrel? looking to have the same thing done. do you notice the change in weight?

nickdrak
03-07-10, 22:30
That's a great look.
How do you like the Troy BattleRail, does it fit "tighter" than the PRI? I ordered one about a month ago and waiting for it to finish a build.

The VTAC/Troy BattleRail attaches in a completely different manner than the PRI tube, but I can't make the VTAC rotate at all by using my hands.

nickdrak
03-07-10, 22:31
what dis ADCO charge for the barrel? looking to have the same thing done. do you notice the change in weight?

They charged me $115 to dimple in-front of the gasblock & re-parkerize the barrel. It is more to dimple under the handguard. Check the "Shop Services" page on ADCO's website for more info.

nickdrak
03-07-10, 23:38
I just put it on the scale with a Surefire X300 attached: 8.94lbs (No Magazine)

spamsammich
03-07-10, 23:44
The VTAC/Troy BattleRail attaches in a completely different manner than the PRI tube, but I can't make the VTAC rotate at all by using my hands.

If by some miracle you were able to muster up silverback gorilla arm strength and move it, you're either moving in a direction that would tighten the barrel nut (which would have to work against the gas tube), or running into the anti-rotation tab. As long as the two screws at the base of the rail are nice and snug, there isn't any budging this rail. My ADM Micro mount bridges the gap by 1 slot for a little unintended insurance against rotation.

spamsammich
03-07-10, 23:52
I just put it on the scale with a Surefire X300 attached: 8.94lbs (No Magazine)

Nice. I'm so drooling over that barrel and rail combo. I want to try an ACS on mine to balance out the 13" rail a little better. With the CTR, the rifle felt a bit to nose heavy at the range today. I still marvel at how light this rail is for the length. My cousin brought his 20" Oly bull barreled rifle by with their incredibly heavy FF tube and he freaked out when he picked up my rifle to compare weight.

nickdrak
03-08-10, 00:11
If by some miracle you were able to muster up silverback gorilla arm strength and move it, you're either moving in a direction that would tighten the barrel nut (which would have to work against the gas tube), or running into the anti-rotation tab. As long as the two screws at the base of the rail are nice and snug, there isn't any budging this rail. My ADM Micro mount bridges the gap by 1 slot for a little unintended insurance against rotation.

My LaRue LT-135/TR24G also bridges the gap on mine.

nickdrak
03-08-10, 00:15
Nice. I'm so drooling over that barrel and rail combo.

I think the Troy version "BattleRail" would have been a bit of polka-dot overload though:D

spamsammich
03-08-10, 00:44
I think the Troy version "BattleRail" would have been a bit of polka-dot overload though:D

A little extra grater for your cheeses. Did you notice an improvement in your heat dissipation? I can't tell if the improvement is the rail or my LW barrel. Probably a combo.

James686
03-08-10, 21:38
Thanks, so as long as I have no silver back strength I'll be fine.
That's what I was looking for, it's kind of a pain ordering parts when all you can do is read a review and look at a couple pics.

az doug
03-10-10, 19:43
Looks good. Is the barrel re-parked then KG kote, just parked or just KG Kote?

nickdrak
03-10-10, 23:27
Looks good. Is the barrel re-parked then KG kote, just parked or just KG Kote?

Re-Parked and then KG coated. Re-parkerizing is included in the dimple work. KG Kote to the barrel was an extra $40

RogerinTPA
03-11-10, 21:20
Very nice weapon Nickdrak. Looks great.:cool:

nickdrak
03-12-10, 00:45
Very nice weapon Nickdrak. Looks great.:cool:

Thanks! I was hoping to get out to the range this week, but the weather sucks here (Rain), so range report will have to wait til next week....

Mute
03-12-10, 17:43
Great info. I'm planning on an 18" build and have been trying to decide between the Troy rail vs. a PRI. The info you provided has certainly helped. Nice rifle.

BAC
03-13-10, 15:51
Nice rifle. Can I have it?™

No seriously, that is essentially my perfect middy build, in the flesh as it were. The only thing I might change is the flash hider (Blackout, or Brakeout if it works well) and barrel (a Lothar-Walther LW50, 1:8 middy), which would also see some lightening work by ADCO. Sweet stick dude, let us know how she shoots. :)

-B

dockbox
03-13-10, 18:00
I have a 18 inch WOA barrel with a Troy 13 inch TRX and ACS stock and it balances really well. Good lighter setup.

nickdrak
04-21-10, 16:11
Finally got to take it to take it out yesterday to get a rough 100yd zero (using a 25yd off-set target) at my PD's indoor 25yd range. I ran some Winchester 55gr 5.56 & some Prvi 69gr BTHP Match ammo thru it.

Function was flawless, and it only took a couple elevation clicks on the TR24G to get it zeroed. With the TR24G dialed up to 4x I was able to put all 5 rounds of a few of the groups thru one hole. Not a big deal @ 25yds, but it was good to see that it shoots straight. I plan to take it to the outdoor PD range soon to stretch its legs a bit at 100 & 200yds.

The rifle handles extremely well for a fully accesorized (variable power scope, Surefire X300, railed handguard) carbine. I think I nailed it in-terms of weight/balance with this set-up.

I did one mag dump thru the rifle last night after my last zeroing group, and the barrel was actually only warm to the touch. The dimpling seemed to play a functional roll in keeping the barrel cool, but I will need to run it much harder before I can say for sure. The Surefire MB556K brake did it jobs as expected, and follow up shots are quick as the green triangle hardly moves at all during recoil.

More updates soon after I take it to the outdoor range....

ALCOAR
04-21-10, 16:24
I drooled a little....but it was not a ton or anything:D Nice Job!

devinsdad
04-05-12, 20:00
I sent a barrel to Adco originally to have it dimpled but ended up changing my mind and opted for the flutes instead. Like you, I was looking for a tad lighter front end and figured the flutes would remove more metal than the dimples. I was impressed with the turnaround (just a few days) and the quality looks great. Someday I'll shoot for the dimples, I think they just look cool.

R4 fan
04-11-12, 11:27
I like the dimples. I've sent stuff to ADCO before, but never saw any photos of the dimpling they do. Looks great!

M4Fundi
04-12-12, 01:29
Accuracy before and after?

Looks great!

nickdrak
04-12-12, 01:48
This thread is over 2 years old! I no longer have this upper. When I had it I did not notice a difference in accuracy before/after dimpling.

SeriousStudent
04-20-12, 22:02
Fascinating barrel!

All 17 of your posts on this board are in one day. This is a two-year-old thread. You would not be running up your post count just to get into the EE, would you?

DragonDoc
04-25-12, 09:44
Nice build. What made you choose the components that you used?