PDA

View Full Version : SBR Build Sequencing ???

Scoby
03-07-10, 10:46
Considering the purchase of a SBR and possibly a suppressor.

I've gotten alot of info on the subject in this forum and not so much with the search function. :confused:

The way I understand it, the best way to square away the lower is to purchase it first, then have it engraved and then the forms sent to the ATF. Is this in fact the best way?

I know the required info on the form includes the barrel length and overall rifle length. The question I have is..... can the barreled upper be purchased prior to submission of the forms? Could I order a 12.5" from BCM tonight, and as long as I don't mate it with a lower, be within the boundries of the law?

Or, is it a requirement that the barreled upper be purchased after the receipt of the approved forms and stamp and these presented at the time of purchase? I've noticed on websites offering short barreled uppers for sale some state "All NFA rules apply".

Also, I assume that a SBR and a suppressor cannot be submitted on the same form. Correct?

Scoby

Iraqgunz
03-07-10, 12:12
Try reading this post. It was posted about 5 spots above yours. Each NFA item and transfer has to be done on it's own form. Form 1 is for building an SBR, Form 4 would be to the form for a transfer.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=9830

Scoby
03-08-10, 10:09
Thanks for replying Iraqgunz. Yeah, I did read that post. Good general info. but lacked some specifics I was looking for.

Dug alot deeper and I think I understand all this now. Esp the form part.

Form 1 - For manufacturing a title II weapon such as I may do.
Get lower, check it out, engrave, submit form 1 and $200. Wait for approval and tax stamp. Order short barreled upper. Done.

Form 4 - For the purchase / transfer of a existing title II weapon or device. i.e. suppressor.

If I still don't have this straight in my ol head, somebody straighten my ass out.

Scoby