PDA

View Full Version : G19 or FNP-9?

olds442tyguy
04-17-07, 14:56
So I have a dilemma. I'm up in the air on buying a G19 or an FNP-9.

The G19 is a package. For $620, you get the 19, plus one of the Glock lights.

I know someone is going to say you can find Glocks for alot cheaper online, but when all is said and done, it's about the same price plus the hassle of the transfer work. Figure about $500 for the pistol, $15-$30 for the transfer, $15 for the shipping, $85+ shipping for the light, and that most gun stores now charge use tax for transfers, and the price gets up there extremely quick.

The FNP on the other hand is only $375. Usually FNP pricing this low is for the older all black models that were still made in Belgium. Even CDNN charges $415 now for the FNP.

I like both of the pistols, and lately I've started to care less about firing modes so long as the pistol goes bang and feels comfortable to shoot. Both feel comfortable in my hands, and I think I'd be equally happy with either one.

I haven't seen the American made FNP's that cheap anywhere, but I also like the standardization of the Glock. Mags and parts are cheap and plentiful, and if I wanted anything from FN it'd have to come straight from them for (probably) MSRP.

I need a midsized 9mm and I've narrowed it down to these two, so what say you M4C?

combatvet
04-17-07, 15:09
I'd stick with the G19, after all the mags are plentiful and cheap. You can use 15, 17, & 33 round mags. The parts are easily available and can be installed by yourself.

Just too much going for the Glock in my opinion.

David Thomas
04-17-07, 16:35
That is a high price for a G19 and a Glock light. I would try to find a G19 without that light. Sorry, I just had to say it.

No experience with the FNP, so I did not vote in the poll. The FNP may be a great 9mm, especially at that price.

I can say that I do have a fair amount of trigger time with the G19 and really like it. Combatvet is right about the mags and parts being readily available, which may be a factor if a new AWB was to ever be passed.

olds442tyguy
04-17-07, 17:01
That is a high price for a G19 and a Glock light. I would try to find a G19 without that light.

Glock 19 with Glock pistol light. $620.
- Glock pistol light ($85 Lowest price I found*) $535.
- FFL transfer fee. ($25 Average*) $510.
- Shipping for pistol and light combined. ($25 Low average*) = $485.

Plus the time wasted in working out the transfer I think $485 is pretty decent, but I only base this off of some online retailers and the lowest buy it now prices on Gun Broker and Guns America.

Could I do that much better? I know the sticker shock is bad, but when you add in the assorted fees it gets pretty expensive.

David Thomas
04-17-07, 17:14
Could I do that much better? I know the sticker shock is bad, but when you add in the assorted fees it gets pretty expensive.

No, the price is not that bad. I have over-paid much worse than that (I was robbed when I bought my 2nd Colt WWI reissue/repro). I have seen the same package here for $640, and thought that was too high, also.

I guess I just do not trust the Glock lights and discount their value or worth in the equation. I have never owned one so my preconceived notions may be wrong.

New Glocks here run anywhere from the $500 - $560.

graffex
04-17-07, 18:01
Why do you want the glock light? There are better lights you can get for around the same price.

LOKNLOD
04-17-07, 18:30

Call Mark @ Summit Gun Broker (http://www.summitgunbroker.com/). IIRC a new G19 from him is $459. He charges $15 to ship. Usually you can find a dealer or pawn shop that'll transfer for $10 to $15. I've got one that does $10 and there are hardly any decent shops around here (the hometown forums at TOS can be helpful for finding out fees). Then buy a TLR1 from one of the dealers, I see them for about $95 shipped, and you'll get a better light with more holster options.

Total: $584. $594 if you use the $25 transfer fee number. And that's with a much better light.

Buying locally for me has been a wash because everyone wants MSRP or close to it, plus sales tax that pushes it even higher.

I too discount the value of the Glock light as part of the equation.

Gun-nut
04-17-07, 19:32
You may also try your local gun shows. I picked mine up for $440 otd about a year ago. I still see them for $450 at most every gun show I go to.

Paulinski
04-17-07, 22:02
G19 would be my choice

olds442tyguy
04-17-07, 23:52
I've read that Glock revised the GTL. Supposedly the old one was worthless but the new ones are supposed to be pretty good. I'm not exactly stuck on getting a GTL though. It isn't very bright, but I do like the adjustable beam. The thing's super light too, but probably at the cost of durability. Chances are the hardest use it will see is being set on my nightstand anyways though.

There are only two gunshops in the area that I can think of that even do transfers anymore. They aren't exactly cheap and they charge use tax as well. I'm also going off of two year old transfer quotes too, so they could be even more now.

In eastern Nebraska your typical gun show is filled with $800 Oly Plinkers, $500 Rock Island 1911's, and those POS rubber armored scopes for $150. I can honestly say that I've never been to a gun show where I didn't feel dirty afterwards. :(

The more I beat myself up over it though, the less I think about the FNP. :eek: I got a little time, so I think I'll keep my eyes open for a better deal.

RyanB
04-18-07, 01:56
G19 and a Surefire light.

mhmills
04-18-07, 01:59
I love my Glock 23 .40 cal. which is the same size as the Glock 19.
I paid less than $500 after tax.
Forget the light and buy extra mags.
You can get the light later.

LOKNLOD
04-18-07, 10:15
They aren't exactly cheap and they charge use tax as well.

Use tax? What's that?

olds442tyguy
04-18-07, 10:27
Use tax? What's that?
When a new item is transferred from retailer to retailer, technically there's a "use tax" that's supposed to be applied to compensate for the lacking state tax. Most gun shops don't do so, but apparently there was a scare involving a Nebraska gun shop awhile back, and ever since all of the local shops have been doing it.

On TOS almost a year back there was an in depth topic about it, and there was government documentation confirming it.

C4IGrant
04-18-07, 11:25
I voted for the G19. As a long time G19 owner and fan, I am now switching over to the M&P (if that tells you anything).

C4

olds442tyguy
04-18-07, 11:52
I think the M&P is perfect on paper, but even with the extra backstrap options I just can't get comfortable with it. Their pricing is great too, so I guess it just sucks to be me. :o

combatvet
04-18-07, 14:01
I voted for the G19. As a long time G19 owner and fan, I am now switching over to the M&P (if that tells you anything).

C4

So Grant are you switching over to the S&W because you are a dealer now or do you actually think the S&W is a better weapon the the Glock 19?

I'm asking this because the M&P is a relatively new model and hasn't had time to prove itself IMO. I've seen quite a few companies tout and promote the newest gear and equipment only to find out further down the road that such praise would have been better off being delayed until more real life testing/research was done. I'm in no way questioning your integrity.

Also the S&W's magazines are harder and more expensive to come by.

I'll wait until the M&P can prove itself like the Glock has.

C4IGrant
04-18-07, 14:39
So Grant are you switching over to the S&W because you are a dealer now or do you actually think the S&W is a better weapon the the Glock 19?

I have been a dealer for Glock long before I was a dealer for S&W. So the answer is that I actually feel that the M&P is a better so much so that I will be selling my G19. ;)

C4

VA_Dinger
04-18-07, 14:48
Doesn't D-port shoot a FNP-9? If so, he has proven they can be shot very well. That being said, it would be tough to tell anybody interested in a 9mm handgun not to buy a G19.

Except for maybe a S&W M&P 9mm. It is my new go-to 9mm handgun.

Dport
04-18-07, 16:08
I have a Browning Pro-9 that shares duty with an M&P 9mm.

I'd say it's all down to personal preference.

rayray
04-18-07, 18:42
I had a glock and I never liked it. always jamming on Me. Now I own a Walther P99 in .40 S&W, and a M&P 40. Both those pistols are better than the Glock. Check em out.

ShipWreck
04-19-07, 19:25
The Walther P99 is my fav (with the A/S trigger). But between those two, I'd get the FN. U have a changeable backstrap. And, the ones I have dry fired had the smoothest DA pull I've ever felt on a DA/SA w/ external hammer.

I've owned many Glocks over the years _ I just sold my last one. A Glock 34. It was my fav Glock out of them all, but I still hated the trigger. When compared to my P99, there was no contest. I shot my P99 w/ the 4" barrel better than the Glock 34.

RAM Engineer
04-19-07, 21:39
Glock 19's are like microwave ovens. It's 2007. There is no reason why houses and apartments shouldn't come pre-equipped with at least one.

Dave L.
04-19-07, 22:04
Just bought a G19 yesterday...shoulda done it sooner.

Robb Jensen
04-21-07, 13:12
Glock 19, the most practical Glock made. Everyone should own at least 1 Glock 19.

Dport
04-21-07, 15:14
Glock 19, the most practical Glock made. Everyone should own at least 1 Glock 19.

Had one. Sold it. It wasn't as handy as my G26 and I couldn't shoot it as well as my G17. For most people it's great. For me, it just didn't work. But I'm weird and I've known that for a long tim.

If the O_P can get a FNP SAO, I'd look into it. If it's the normal DA/SA version with the decocker, I'd pass.

blackscot
04-23-07, 09:05
G19 has done a very good job as my daily carry since last fall. Certainly nothing fancy or to get excited about. There are a lot more cool, pretty, admirable, drool-able, etc. (of which I have bought/sold/traded several dozen over the past ~20 years). The G19 is just a reliable tool for a basic job. Sort-a the Toyota of guns -- it works.

Some people are uncomfortable with the grip, others with the mount/sight alignment, etc., which I can appreciate. If it doesn't fit/work for you, then it just doesn't. For me though, it's probably the overall most practical.

Redhat
04-24-07, 18:43
I vote FNP. Tried Glock and couldn't like it's grip and trigger.

Only way to know it to shoot them both if possible.

Rogueplayer
04-24-07, 20:10
Funny, I have been thinking about getting a FNH. Call me old-fashioned, the Made in America caught my eye in an ad.

Was at a store and handled it; pointed and felt good.

Don't have a 19, however do have a 23 and 32. Love both.

That FNP-9 is calling my name. Wish they chambered it in .357 sig

After that, those S&Ws will probably be calling my name. Anyone know if S&W is going to chamber the M&P in .357 sig as well?

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w77/rogueplayer/FNp-9.jpg

Robb Jensen
04-24-07, 20:18
Anyone know if S&W is going to chamber the M&P in .357 sig as well?

I've seen the .357 S&W M&Ps at SHOT there's not a huge demand so I think they have back burner for S&W.

olds442tyguy
04-27-07, 13:25
Well, I decided on a G19. I'm going to buy used so I can stock up on mags and a good light. I'm usually against buying used, but it's LNIB. Besides, it's a freakin' Glock. :D

David Thomas
04-27-07, 15:35
Well, I decided on a G19. I'm going to buy used so I can stock up on mags and a good light. I'm usually against buying used, but it's LNIB. Besides, it's a freakin' Glock. :D

Sounds like you have a good plan. You will love the G19

9DivDoc
04-28-07, 14:45
I voted G19 simply cause I just dont like the other choice

Do not like the Glock light and would hold out for the 6 volt Streamlight & Cree LED

But as long as the Glock also has Mepro night sights...its still G2G ..

imo

Jimbo 328
04-30-07, 00:45
I guess its a done deal but having shot both, the glock extensivley, I will tell that the FN is more accurate shoots like a SIG at 10 yrds it will put bullets through the same hole consisiently. I work at an indoor range where we rent pistols the FN is still new so I dont have any feed back on how it will hold up just yet .

ShipWreck
04-30-07, 18:32
The trigger on the FNP is sweet. One of the best I've ever seen :)

blackscot
05-01-07, 06:08
I have been a dealer for Glock long before I was a dealer for S&W. So the answer is that I actually feel that the M&P is a better so much so that I will be selling my G19. ;)

I came this close (am holding fingers together) to getting a M&P last fall when at the last moment I told the dealer to make it the G19 instead.

And mostly for the reasons listed above, re. proven track record, etc. Also, it is easier for everyday carry than the full-size M&P, and this was before they came out with the compact.

I've looked at the M&P compact too since then, but am still undecided. You don't see as much praise for it generally going around as for the full-size.

Besides, I've already been spending too much money dicking around with various rifle choices.....:rolleyes:

ffhounddog
05-03-07, 09:19
I love my Glock 19 and my Glock 26. I have both and would not trade them. I carry my Glock 26 everywhere and I can get New Glock Mags at 16.60 a piece so I go with that. Wife also said you get 4 pistols. I have 2 Glocks and a Browning .22 Buckmaster and I am holding out for a good .357 wheel gun.

blackscot
05-03-07, 11:43
......am holding out for a good .357 wheel gun.

S&W 66 or 686, or Ruger GP100.