PDA

View Full Version : Man Dies Testing Wilderness Survival Skills

Outlander Systems
03-08-10, 07:33
A stark reminder that it isn't to be taken too lightly:

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100304/survival_death_100304/20100304/?hub=TorontoNewHome

Richard Code, 41, left Thursday to test his survival skills in the Ontario bush. He was found dead Monday in a snowy, marshy forest north of Huntsville. He had ventured out on a four-day trip with only an axe, basic fishing gear, and the clothes on his back.

geminidglocker
03-08-10, 08:43
What an idiot.

SouthWolfGA
03-08-10, 08:47
A stark reminder that it isn't to be taken too lightly:

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100304/survival_death_100304/20100304/?hub=TorontoNewHome

One problem with "testing" survival skills, if they aren't up to par you die. (Ok, maybe a little bit in bad taste but it had to be said.)

On a serious note, "testing" survival skills should be done in a controlled envirement that allows you to reach the brink of "failing" while still having the resources to save yourself. At the very minimum, you should have a away to call for emergency help for when you realize you aren't doing so well. On the other hand, often times, it's too late by the time you realize that.

My prayers to his family, but that was really bad judgement. At least he had the smarts enough to let someone know he was gone and when to expect him back.

Abraxas
03-08-10, 09:26
One problem with "testing" survival skills, if they aren't up to par you die. (Ok, maybe a little bit in bad taste but it had to be said.)

On a serious note, "testing" survival skills should be done in a controlled envirement that allows you to reach the brink of "failing" while still having the resources to save yourself. At the very minimum, you should have a away to call for emergency help for when you realize you aren't doing so well. On the other hand, often times, it's too late by the time you realize that.

My prayers to his family, but that was really bad judgement. At least he had the smarts enough to let someone know he was gone and when to expect him back.

I would say that this is accurate. I have always thought to test skills individually, not actually depending on them. It allows one to screw up and figure out the ins and outs of the technique without jeopardizing their life.

bobvila
03-08-10, 12:11
I think he watched survivorman one to many times.

PA PATRIOT
03-08-10, 12:28
What did Forest Gump say?

Mama always said "Stupid is as Stupid does"

Eddiesketti
03-08-10, 18:01
He didn't bring enough stuff. How exactly is watchin a tv show make you capable of surviving anything but a trip to the fridge? That might have worked in the summertime. Where were his friends?

Outlander Systems
03-09-10, 09:26
What he, I believe, wrongfully assumed, is that these survival show hot shots have failsafe/contingency plans in the event something goes amiss...