PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg "upgrades"?

Circle_10
03-08-10, 18:03
What are some recommended "upgrades" for Mossberg shotguns? I have two model 500s and a 590A1. For instance I've heard people mention that Mossberg magazine tube springs tend to be weak and should be replaced by Wolff springs or something. I've never experienced an issue with any of mine but I do like to be preemptive sometimes when it comes to firearm reliability upgrades. i understand that replacing the Model 500s plastic safety button with a metal one like that of the 590A1 is a good idea. Are there any other commonly recommended enhancements for these shotguns?

ST911
03-08-10, 18:11
What are some recommended "upgrades" for Mossberg shotguns? I have two model 500s and a 590A1. For instance I've heard people mention that Mossberg magazine tube springs tend to be weak and should be replaced by Wolff springs or something. I've never experienced an issue with any of mine but I do like to be preemptive sometimes when it comes to firearm reliability upgrades. i understand that replacing the Model 500s plastic safety button with a metal one like that of the 590A1 is a good idea. Are there any other commonly recommended enhancements for these shotguns?

Off the top of my head...

Metal safety button
Mag spring replacement- frequent with OEM, less so w/ premium aftermarket
High-vis follower

Remove, degrease, reinstall w/ loctite: GRS, sling swivel, ejector screw, stock screw

Sometimes useful: Polish chamber, polish elevator

Run a premium lubricant or CLP

tracker722
03-08-10, 19:26

ST911
03-08-10, 23:13
Agree. But also check the extractor springs and extractors as well. Easily and cheaply replaced.

Good addition to the list.

I was thinking of what I do for PM when I open up a new Mossberg.

Circle_10
03-09-10, 06:42
good suggestions, thank you.

is Wolff currently the best choice for replacement mag springs?

tracker722
03-09-10, 18:33