PDA

View Full Version : Washington State and Guns? Info needed

Geoffrey
03-09-10, 10:08
Hey all, I may be getting transferred to Washington state for work.

What I would like to know is what is the state like in regards to guns?

I cant find much info online.

Laws regarding SBR? Suppressors? Mag Capacity? Evil Black Rifles?

Anyone here conceal carry there? How are the CCW laws?

Hunting with an AR style rifle ok? Mag capacity when hunting?

Any info would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

HowardCohodas
03-09-10, 10:41
Wow! Main to Washington State. That will be an interesting cultural adjustment.

The best starting resource for these kinds of questions is almost always the state's attorney general web page.

This is a good place to start for Washington state: Washington State Concealed Carry (http://www.atg.wa.gov/ConcealedWeapons.aspx). Explore some of the associated material available from there.

GitmoSmoke
03-09-10, 10:49
Geoffery,
Here are a couple of links to get you started. Washington is one of the oldest "shall issue" CCW states. The permit process is generally pain free. EBR’s are generally well tolerated by most people out side Seattle and Olympia. Most all NFA items are not allowed. You can buy suppressors, but it is illegal to use them.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/index.html

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/washington.pdf

Don Robison
03-09-10, 10:54
Hey all, I may be getting transferred to Washington state for work.

What I would like to know is what is the state like in regards to guns?

I cant find much info online.

Laws regarding SBR? Suppressors? Mag Capacity? Evil Black Rifles?

Anyone here conceal carry there? How are the CCW laws?

Hunting with an AR style rifle ok? Mag capacity when hunting?

Any info would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

It's been quite a while since i lived up there, but from my reading things haven't changed much.

SBRs are a NOGO. Suppressors are legal to own but you can't use them so it makes owning one worthless.
CCW permits were pretty easy to get and the laws were pretty common sense. I don't recall anything really screwy compared to other states I've lived in since then. It was the first state I got a permit.
IIRC there was a 5 shot mag capacity limit for hunting, but no restriction on the platform style.

Dragon Slayer
03-09-10, 12:14
You can get a CCP in two to three weeks and it is shall issue. You can have a black rifle of any kind except an SBR, you can buy a silencer but can not use it.
There is no waiting period to buy a handgun if you have a CCP and you do not have to take a course to get your CCP.

No loaded handguns allowed in your car unless you have a CCP, no loaded rifles in your car under any circumstances.

This is a state with many hunters, many gun ranges including the range belonging to the Seattle Police (SPAA) that is easy to join as a member and is a non profit organization where I am a life member (34 Years).

Anti gun laws have no chance of passing even out of committee even if the state is run by democrats.:)

i303
03-09-10, 21:44
generally what everyone else said plus AR style rifle are ok for hunting, 5 round mag of course.

5pins
03-09-10, 22:16
generally what everyone else said plus AR style rifle are ok for hunting, 5 round mag of course.

There is no magazine capacity limit for rifles. There is a limit of three rounds on shotguns when hunting birds.