PDA

View Full Version : Magpul Handgun DVD question on lights

Ga Shooter
03-09-10, 11:30
I was not sure where to ask this question so if it needs to be moved just do so. I run lights on my carbines but not on my pistols. In the Magpul Handgun DVD they made a comment about always using a light but then later talk about the 2 second rule from concealment. How do you accomplish both? I did not see their lights flashing while firing. How realistic is it to try to turn a light on and fire inside of 2 seconds?

Lee Indy
03-09-10, 11:52
i dont have a problem. tlr-1 on my G19

JackOSU
03-09-10, 12:30
There are several options. I have big hands and can work my X300 with either hand if need be, but during the presentation and push out when I'm ready to get on sights I can activate the light when needed/appropriate. This doesn't take anymore time and is just a function of practice. I do this weekly in the matches I participate in so it's become more natural if you need to deploy the light. You can also get a DG switch for the X300 if you feel it works best for you as well. Pressure is the only thing needed to activate. Overall I'd say that be a huge priority to have a light on your carry gun and a spare in your pocket just in case Murphy shows himself.

Business_Casual
03-09-10, 13:47
This might be better in the Magpul forum in training?

Ga Shooter
03-09-10, 13:57
This might be better in the Magpul forum in training?

Feel free to move it or should I repost there?

John_Wayne777
03-09-10, 14:21
That depends...are you looking for general input, or for direct input from Travis and Chris? If the former, here is fine. If the latter, then it's more likely to get noticed by them in the Magpul forum.

Either way is fine, we're just trying to get you the information you are looking for. ;)

Ga Shooter
03-09-10, 14:47
That depends...are you looking for general input, or for direct input from Travis and Chris? If the former, here is fine. If the latter, then it's more likely to get noticed by them in the Magpul forum.

Either way is fine, we're just trying to get you the information you are looking for. ;)

I want to hear from Travis and Chris and from those with experience. Thanks for the help. I will also ask in the other forum.

infidelprodigy
03-09-10, 17:15
I would think that activating your light striaght from the draw to ID a threat to engage might not be such a required technique. Consider the parameters of when you (or any of us) would draw a pistol to engage a threat. You would have to SEE the threat in order to orient your weapon to it. If it was pitch black, how would you see the threat? Therefore, how would you know to draw and engage with your weapon? Taking it further, if it WAS pitch black, and all you saw was a muzzle flash, would you stand there, draw and try to illuminate and fire within 2 seconds on somebody who has an effective ambush on you? In almost all military textbooks, the first thing a person or unit should do if engaged from an unknown source is displace then try to orient toward the threat and return fire. An associate of mine who was Brit SBS stated it as: Dash, Down, Crawl, Observe, Sights, Fire. Taking it back to the hypothetical i presented of the pitch black ambush where the indicators you're in a fight are the sound and flash of a gunshot, my response would be to haul ass off the X while drawing my pistol, seek some type of cover or keep moving while i power up and attempt to place fire on target (cover vs. keep moving depends on environment of course).

In all the low light work I've done, being able to speed draw and power a light while static is never concentrated on. It's always been to displace while drawing, then power up and fire, then power down and displace again. If you are using the light while moving, than a change in direction is warranted before and after light activation.

The preceding are my thoughts on the implementation, as far as the manipulation I've gone with a DG switch on my carry G19. The reason for this is that you may not acquire that perfect range 2-handed grip in order to activate the tailswitch. If you are doing more proactive work and must be concerned with white light AD's, then eiether run the stock tailcap, or practice religously with the DG switch to where it only comes on when you want it to.

My .02.....