PDA

View Full Version : Move over AccuWedge, we now have the Twang Buster!

Iraq Ninja
03-09-10, 14:24
The AccuWedge is no longer the most unnecessary accessory made for the M4.

We now have the TWANG BUSTER for those who are bothered by the spring TWANG while shooting.

Made from tough Delrin this buffer pad fits in buffer tube to reduce the annoying "twang" that the AR-15 produces. Works with carbine or rifle length buffer tubes.

http://media.midwayusa.com/ProductImages/Medium/154800.jpg

Maybe I am crazy, but I like TWANG...

Dave L.
03-09-10, 14:28
Does it come in FDE?

Kilo 1-1
03-09-10, 14:28
This can't be real, right?

Magsz
03-09-10, 14:33
Its real...

As far as im concerned these things should be installed in the asses of whoever created them...

Guns are loud, the sound of a spring reciprocating is hardly annoying.

Iraq Ninja
03-09-10, 14:39
I ran across it today while surfing at Midway USA.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=154800

I guess it is made by DoubleStar

JonnyVain
03-09-10, 14:40
Is it detrimental to the function of the rifle? As long as it doesn't cause any problems, why would anyone care what anyone else puts on their guns?

The company that created this product saw a niche in the market and filled it. If it sells well, someone gets a bonus.

rob_s
03-09-10, 15:00
why would anyone care what anyone else puts on their guns?

I don't.

But, IMHO it's a mindset indicator of anyone that would buy such nonsense, or worry about that noise.

So in fact perhaps this is a good thing. I should start asking everyone at our drills nights if they have one of those so I can get a better idea of where their head is at before we start.

glocktogo
03-09-10, 15:00
Adding an internal part that serves no mechanical purpose usually results in negative consequences at some point.

motorolahamm
03-09-10, 15:02
Yeah have seem these before , my thought would be if it is on the head end of the buffer would or could it cause cycle problems ?

LegalAlien
03-09-10, 15:03
I have yet to hear "the twang".
All I hear is BANG
All I feel is a comfortable recoil as confirmation that all went as expected.

Yes my hearing is shot, I have a constant tinnitus buzz in my head that muffles most other high frequency noises, and I wear muffs as well.

Ratfink
03-09-10, 15:12
i didnt know people are annoyed by shooting there m16/ar15 type rifles

bobvila
03-09-10, 15:53
It might be worthless, but I wish I came up with it, a 1 cent piece of plastic that sells for $5.

C4IGrant
03-09-10, 16:28
Is it detrimental to the function of the rifle? As long as it doesn't cause any problems, why would anyone care what anyone else puts on their guns?

The company that created this product saw a niche in the market and filled it. If it sells well, someone gets a bonus.

Like the accuwedge, it is one more widget that can break apart and possibly cause your weapon to malfunction.

This means that it gets a gigantic PASS!

C4

geminidglocker
03-09-10, 16:34
As a combat Vet, I like the "Twang", it reminds me that my rifle is functioning at peak efficiency, and when it stops going "Twang", it says RELOAD!

chadbag
03-09-10, 16:35
Somewhere I remember reading that if you grease up your buffer spring it will reduce the "twang" sound if not eliminate it. Anyone try this or can say if this should work?

Thomas M-4
03-09-10, 16:48
As a combat Vet, I like the "Twang", it reminds me that my rifle is functioning at peak efficiency, and when it stops going "Twang", it says RELOAD!

EXACTLY !!:D

markm
03-09-10, 16:52
As far as im concerned these things should be installed in the asses of whoever created them...

Has to be from KNS!!:p

There were some retards over in silencertalk's AR forums who were going to dip their action springs in the liquid rubber handle goop for tools. I couldn't believe that two tards were on the same page about such an idiotic idea.

CarlosDJackal
03-09-10, 16:56
And here I thought this thread was about something indecent. Color me disappointed!! :D

spamsammich
03-09-10, 17:01

There were some retards over in silencertalk's AR forums who were going to dip their action springs in the liquid rubber handle goop for tools. I couldn't believe that two tards were on the same page about such an idiotic idea.

At least it makes it obvious who should be on your ignore list.

markm
03-09-10, 17:04
At least it makes it obvious who should be on your ignore list.

I'm not a fan of the ignore list approach. My philosophy is that you have to take the good with the bad and every once in a while you can guide a dumb ass in the right direction.

MassMark
03-09-10, 17:23
PT Barnum in full effect...I'm not sure mine even twangs at all...If it does, I don't notice it - now I'll have to check - great.... Between this and the "are these sight ears normal?", I'm going to lose my mind....

People really do get wound up in silliness.... :p

CMFG
03-09-10, 17:25
Does it come in FDE?

Well played, sir. ;)

JonnyVain
03-09-10, 17:31

Wow... now that's dumb.

You guys have to remember, though, that not everyone who shoots an AR uses it for work or HD. Some people only shoot it for fun.

JimmyB62
03-09-10, 19:25
Somewhere I remember reading that if you grease up your buffer spring it will reduce the "twang" sound if not eliminate it. Anyone try this or can say if this should work?

A long time ago someone convinced me this was something I should do. It quieted the spring a bit but made a huge mess with grease oozing everywhere. BAD IDEA! In the end I realized the spring noise never really bothered me anyway.

MMcfpd
03-09-10, 19:32
As with others, I kind of like the spring noise, if I even hear it.

But in the absence of further information I have my doubts that this thing even accomplishes its purpose.

m4fun
03-09-10, 19:44
Does Tapco sell these in all the familar colors?

If they put a Magpul symbol on it I am sure it would sell like hotcakes...just saying...

orionz06
03-09-10, 19:45
Like the accuwedge, it is one more widget that can break apart and possibly cause your weapon to malfunction.

This means that it gets a gigantic PASS!

C4

I know this now, but despite better judgement, I tried a homemade accuwedge before. This stuff is too easy to sell, just as any other industry does, create a problem and sell the solution. Thanks to The_Katar I am all better now!

Captains1911
03-09-10, 19:47
I love the "twang," or better known as "sproing." It's the sound of freedom. I don't ear it in carbine tubes, but it becomes very noticeable in rifle length ones. I don't see how this piece of plastic is going to reduce the sound.

Ga Shooter
03-09-10, 19:49
I can see the adds now:

Range report!!

After much long research and development we came up with this idea to help mitigate power problems associated with the M16A4 weapon used by todays military. After firing over 10,000,000 rounds without cleaning, lubing, resting, or reloading we discovered that our accuracy improved to less than 1/64 MOA at 1000 meters and 1 shot kills were scored each and every shot. The elemination of the noise makes all the difference in the weapons and the government is going to retro fit its entire arsenal with this incredible product. You should but 3 in every color to be the best shot in you club.

Avenger29
03-09-10, 20:18

Yes, it works.

Problem is it also goops up the tube and spring and that can be a detriment to proper function.

Also, keep in mind that that hole at the back is to let water escape when the rifle cycles if it is submerged. Block it, and I'd bet you could have issues.

If you want to try it, you don't need much grease at all. Just a very light coating on the spring.

I've done the grease thing in the past, but eventually just ended up cleaning it out. The "sproing" can be distracting at first, but I got used to it after some rounds down the tube. Now, I don't even hear it (and that's not because of hearing loss:D)

Heavy Metal
03-09-10, 20:44
Also, keep in mind that that hole at the back is to let air escape when the rifle cycles.

Nope, it is to allow water to escape.

BlueApocalypse
03-09-10, 21:00
I picked up on the TWANG right away when we were firing A2's in basic. I can still hear it in my N4 and M&P15. I love it :o

orionz06
03-09-10, 21:01
focusing on the trigger reset makes the other noises less obvious

dbrowne1
03-09-10, 21:03
/...............

Benchmade
03-09-10, 21:18
My carbine twangs and my rifle doesn't. I'm happy either way.

RogerinTPA
03-09-10, 21:23
More useless trash for the uninformed AR crowd. :rolleyes:

I used to hear and feel the "twang" in A1s and A2 stocks only. Since using carbines with quality stocks, Magpul/Sopmod, I haven't notice it at all over the years.

M4Fundi
03-09-10, 23:31
I personally am going to keep the "Hank" & the "Yoakam" in my M4;)

CLHC
03-10-10, 01:14
Whatever "spring[y]" sound I may hear, doesn't fret me none. :cool:

bkb0000
03-10-10, 01:15
i prefer the term "sproing."

sl4mdaddy
03-10-10, 06:59
i prefer the term "sproing."

I love it when my tube goes 'sproing'!

Captains1911
03-10-10, 08:21
Also, keep in mind that that hole at the back is to let air escape when the rifle cycles. Block it, and I'd bet you could have issues.

The hole is not for air, but rather to allow for water to drain should the rifle become submerged. The rifle will function fine with the hole blocked.

glocktogo
03-10-10, 08:31

Definitely, TMI. :(

GermanSynergy
03-10-10, 10:10
I'm sure some folks will buy it...... This is money better invested in training and ammo.....

Outlander Systems
03-10-10, 10:42
Does Tapco sell these in all the familar colors?

If they put a Magpul symbol on it I am sure it would sell like hotcakes...just saying...

ZZZZZZZZZZing!

;)

BufordTJustice
03-21-10, 14:41
I wonder if this little doo-dad was meant to serve as some kind of 'dead-blow' buffer like the PWS whatcha-callit in their buffer tube? Either way it looks worse than the accuwedge to me, as it is actually a part of the operating mechanism and not just providing static pressure. Just one more piece to disintegrate when the adversary is running at you with a knife......:rolleyes:

organdonor
03-21-10, 14:55
I'm sure some folks will buy it...... This is money better invested in training and ammo.....10 whole rounds of ammo :D

halo2304
03-21-10, 21:40
I love threads like this! :D
The Magpul comment stings only because it's true! :rolleyes: Then again, does Magpul make anything that qualifies as ridiculously absurd crap that's a huge waste of money? Nothing that I can really think of.

mmike87
03-21-10, 21:52
Some people worry about everything other than actually hitting the target. "My rifle WOULD be under 1 MOA if I wasn't distracted by the sproing sound from the previous shot."

.45fmjoe
03-21-10, 22:24

That's what she said!

I'm still amazed at the amount of horseshit some ****tards will hang on, or in this case in their weapons.

bkb0000
03-21-10, 22:34
you know what guys, i have no sproing. i haven't had sproing in a carbine in years, and i've built many in that time.

i don't know what causes it to happen, and what causes it to not happen, but there is no sproing in my guns.

m1a_scoutguy
03-21-10, 22:42

You got it,,grease that baby up and the "TWANG" is gone,,,,:( Dang I miss it already,,LOL !!! We are all just pissed cuz we didn't think of it,,,;) Worthless or not,,somebody is gonna make a buck off it !!!

Thomas M-4
03-21-10, 22:44
you know what guys, i have no sproing. i haven't had sproing in a carbine in years, and i've built many in that time.

i don't know what causes it to happen, and what causes it to not happen, but there is no sproing in my guns.

Do you wear ear plugs or muffs?
I think that muffs tend to transmit the sproing noise a tad bit more.

.45fmjoe
03-21-10, 23:00

I can hear it plain as day in my rifles, but I have never heard it in my carbines.

bkb0000
03-21-10, 23:39
I can hear it plain as day in my rifles, but I have never heard it in my carbines.

interesting... now that you mention it, the last weapon i had that sproinged was the last of my "post ban" guns- it had an A1 on it.

bkb0000
03-21-10, 23:41
Do you wear ear plugs or muffs?
I think that muffs tend to transmit the sproing noise a tad bit more.

somtimes both, depending on what i'm shooting and whats being shot next to me, but usually just my pro-ears.

.45fmjoe
03-21-10, 23:48
interesting... now that you mention it, the last weapon i had that sproinged was the last of my "post ban" guns- it had an A1 on it.

All my rifles are retro, too. :D

I hate everything A2 except the new twist rate. I hate the sights, barrel profile, stock length, pistol grip, handguards and the brass deflector is pointless to me.

the_fallguy
03-22-10, 03:07

The only time I ever noticed the "sproing" was after installing a Sully stock. I haven't noticed it when shooting with any collapsible stock installed (including the Magpul CTR, MOE, Stag 6 pos., VLTOR Clubfoot, Emod, and even an extremely solid and tight fitting Choate stock).

VMI_Marine
03-22-10, 03:37

Exactly, the "TWANG" has always been a reliable indicator for me that the bolt continued forward. I still back it up with a visual check, of course. No "TWANG", time to check the chamber.

perna
03-22-10, 03:47
you know what guys, i have no sproing.

I am developing a product that will fix this problem for you.

mnagant762
03-22-10, 04:14
Look at it this way when it tears you can use it as a turkey call or maybe cut fries with it, or pick your teeth and for only $19.95 they'll send you 600 of em and if you call in the next five minutes the shipping is free.:D

E53001
03-22-10, 18:33
should of made the announcement on TOS, im sure you would of gotten a more serious and excited response lol

bkb0000
03-22-10, 19:04
Exactly, the "TWANG" has always been a reliable indicator for me that the bolt continued forward. I still back it up with a visual check, of course. No "TWANG", time to check the chamber.

you can still sense empty without sproing.. the shot sound spectrum is muted compared to a normal full cycle.

rdc0000
03-22-10, 20:06

Does not work. Grease everywhere!!!:eek: