PDA

View Full Version : handgun grip probelms

javentre
03-09-10, 15:52
I'm trying to work on a grip problem that I've been having for some time. I'm hoping some of you can offer me some advise. I'm right eye dominant and right handed.

After about 3 or 4 shots, my support hand is coming loose. I'm forced to reacquire grip which seems to slow me down. I seem to have this problem no matter how hard I squeeze my weak hand. I try to maintain a 60/40 to 70/30 (weak to strong grip ratio). I've been making an effort to raise my shoulders a bit, keeping my arms parallel to each other, and having my arms high in relation to the bore.

What I'm wondering is if my strong hand grip isn't the problem. Should the center line of the bore be pointing straight down my right/strong arm, or should it be slightly cocked toward my chest - just a bit?

In case it matters, I'm shooting a Glock.

ToddG
03-09-10, 16:11
Try using your pectoral muscles to push your palms toward one another. In other words, crush the gun between your palms.

You can also try putting a tiny bit of isometric tension forwards (right hand) and backwards (left hand) on the gun, but the more you do that the less consistent your recoil recovery will be from shot to shot.

javentre
03-09-10, 16:17
Thanks - I'll give it a try at the range, tomorrow.

javentre
03-09-10, 17:39
I generally shoot weaver, but to be honest, I don't find myself shooting on static ranges much.

I'm coming off a 4 year stretch of no pistol shooting. But 4 years ago, the vast majority of the rounds I put down range were during training classes. The stances you use in a class really depends on the drill you're shooting.

Before this, I was shooting a 1911. The bulged sides of the grip panels offered a nice surface for my support hand to bit into. With the Glock, and the more block/rectangle design, I don't have that same feel.