PDA

View Full Version : magpul rant

sparky241
03-09-10, 16:09
I placed an order for a couple of items with magpul on friday. I called today to confirm that they did get the order and to find out if it had been shipped yet. The lady was petty nice, but informed me that they were out of both the items adn they were on back order. Why doesnt there system tell me they are back order?! I wouldnt have placed the order if i had known And i nicely told them that. She tells me she can refund my money if i would like, I tell to go ahead i wouldnt have ordered if i had known. she says ok then hangs up on me. Cant say i like dealing with a company that acts like that.If they are out of items that shouild tell that to people upfront before they order and customer service shouldnt just hang up on people. This the second time ive ordered some magpul stuff and the second time there stuff was backoredered without telling me.sorry my moneys going elsewhere now.

Rated21R
03-09-10, 16:16
:rolleyes:

C4IGrant
03-09-10, 16:18
I placed an order for a couple of items with magpul on friday. I called today to confirm that they did get the order and to find out if it had been shipped yet. The lady was petty nice, but informed me that they were out of both the items adn they were on back order. Why doesnt there system tell me they are back order?! I wouldnt have placed the order if i had known And i nicely told them that. She tells me she can refund my money if i would like, I tell to go ahead i wouldnt have ordered if i had known. she says ok then hangs up on me. Cant say i like dealing with a company that acts like that.If they are out of items that shouild tell that to people upfront before they order and customer service shouldnt just hang up on people. This the second time ive ordered some magpul stuff and the second time there stuff was backoredered without telling me.sorry my moneys going elsewhere now.

First, most companies (the size of Magpul) aren't really interested/excited about small orders from individuals (as they are not setup for that). Having their shopping cart tied into their inventory would be a massive task an one that they most likely aren't interested in or just haven't gotten to yet.

Second, there are about 1.5 million Magpul dealers that offer Magpul components BELOW the retail price. Why not shop with them???

C4

JonnyVain
03-09-10, 16:18

If you ordered from 3rd party vendors, you may get a better price and they usually list if it's on back order.

JBecker 72
03-09-10, 16:23
Second, there are about 1.5 million Magpul dealers that offer Magpul components BELOW the retail price. Why not shop with them???

This ^

sparky241
03-09-10, 16:29
First, most companies (the size of Magpul) aren't really interested/excited about small orders from individuals (as they are not setup for that). Having their shopping cart tied into their inventory would be a massive task an one that they most likely aren't interested in or just haven't gotten to yet.

C4
ok you make sense. But i still dont like the attitude i get from the "bigger company"

C4IGrant
03-09-10, 16:31
ok you make sense. But i still dont like the attitude i get from the "bigger company"

Well I can't really say anything about he "tude" as I did not hear the convo. Just remember that we all have bad days and the person answering the phone might of had one.

C4

Donbeeler49
03-09-10, 17:22
First of all, there is no excuse for someone being rude when you are in customer service! If you feel the need let someone higher up the food chain know you are unhappy then by all means do it. But I'd go with one of the folks that sell Magpul stuff. If you find a bad one move on to another until you are happy.

chadbag
03-09-10, 20:42
I am kind of at a loss on what the bad attitude was. Sorry. They agreed to cancel your order and refund your money. Seems to me the conversation was over at that point. What more did you want?

They are always really nice to me on the phone but we don't very often waste time chit chatting...

sparky241
03-09-10, 20:59
I am kind of at a loss on what the bad attitude was. Sorry. They agreed to cancel your order and refund your money. Seems to me the conversation was over at that point. What more did you want?

They are always really nice to me on the phone but we don't very often waste time chit chatting...

a better attitude for one. how about an apology for not being strait forward with people. Not disclosing that the item you are selling is not ready to be shipped is not being straight forward. Botactical use to pull this stunt alot.

Belmont31R
03-09-10, 21:08
Do like I do and only order from places that bother to keep active inventory.

Its not really that hard, and is built into software many online stores use. They simply list the item, and how many are available. BCM and operationparts.com both have active inventory on their sites.

With modern web design its not a HUGE task. Plus Magpul recently updated their site to a new format. Should have been part of the package.

As far as Magpul not "setup" to handle small orders....for as long as I can remember they have taken individual orders. I ordered from them online as far as back as 2006. If they are not setup to handle it they shouldn't offer it as a service. Either do it right or don't do it at all????

kmrtnsn
03-09-10, 21:14
I agree with Grant.

chadbag
03-09-10, 21:19
a better attitude for one.

I asked what the bad attitude was and you reply "a better attitude for one." You should not normally define something using that same thing.

how about an apology for not being strait forward with people. Not disclosing that the item you are selling is not ready to be shipped is not being straight forward. Botactical use to pull this stunt alot.

There was no intent to deceive on their part.

Again, what was the bad attitude? They agreed to give you your money back. What more did you want in this conversation?

chadbag
03-09-10, 21:22
Its not really that hard, and is built into software many online stores use. They simply list the item, and how many are available. BCM and operationparts.com both have active inventory on their sites.

With modern web design its not a HUGE task. Plus Magpul recently updated their site to a new format. Should have been part of the package.

Actually, with modern web design (or with ancient web design, does not matter) it can be a simple task or a gargantuan task. Has little to do with modern web technologies and more with business structure.

If you ONLY sell online and run your shop out of your online store, then it is probably easy. If however, you also sell over the phone and by mail and walk in retail, it is a lot harder to keep synched. If your master inventory list is kept on a different system it is easy to get out of synch as well. It is not an easy problem at all.

My store does not keep an active inventory. My active inventory is kept in the accounting software on an offline system and I sell a lot on the phone as well as online. It is not at all easy to keep things synched. In addition, the active inventory only gets updated when invoices are entered. That may not happen right away. So stuff may be in stock but may not show in stock.

Just food for thought. Other people structure their businesses differently and those only selling online can do it more easily than stores with mixed sales channels.

sparky241
03-09-10, 21:33
I asked what the bad attitude was and you reply "a better attitude for one." You should not normally define something using that same thing.

There was no intent to deceive on their part.

Again, what was the bad attitude? They agreed to give you your money back. What more did you want in this conversation?

im sorry i misunderstood your 1st question

i dont like it when people just hangup on me she asked if i wanted a refund and said yes then she hung up the phone. that's what i mean by bad attitude

when people put items up for sale they should have them in stock or ready for immediate shipment. if it isn't i believe that it should be stated to the customer that there is a back order for this.

think of it like this. I go to the classified and post a "wts".You come along and say "ill take it" and send me the cash. 3 weeks later you email me and say wheres my stuff?I email you back and say sorry i don't have it right now, i should have it in roughly 2 weeks then ill ship it. OK? that's misleading and isnt right.this is the same type of scenario.

sparky241
03-09-10, 21:34
Actually, with modern web design (or with ancient web design, does not matter) it can be a simple task or a gargantuan task. Has little to do with modern web technologies and more with business structure.

If you ONLY sell online and run your shop out of your online store, then it is probably easy. If however, you also sell over the phone and by mail and walk in retail, it is a lot harder to keep synched. If your master inventory list is kept on a different system it is easy to get out of synch as well. It is not an easy problem at all.

My store does not keep an active inventory. My active inventory is kept in the accounting software on an offline system and I sell a lot on the phone as well as online. It is not at all easy to keep things synched. In addition, the active inventory only gets updated when invoices are entered. That may not happen right away. So stuff may be in stock but may not show in stock.

Just food for thought. Other people structure their businesses differently and those only selling online can do it more easily than stores with mixed sales channels.
they all need to be on a network, when ever and item is shown to be sold the program will automatically deduct it from the inventory spreadsheet. when an item arrives its checked in and the count on the computer goes up.

chadbag
03-09-10, 21:39
im sorry i misunderstood your 1st question

i dont like it when people just hangup on me she asked if i wanted a refund and said yes then she hung up the phone. that's what i mean by bad attitude

I am still confused on what you expected more of the conversation. I did not hear it but it seems to me the conversation was over.

when people put items up for sale they should have them in stock or ready for immediate shipment. if it isn't i believe that it should be stated to the customer that there is a back order for this.

think of it like this. I go to the classified and post a "wts".You come along and say "ill take it" and send me the cash. 3 weeks later you email me and say wheres my stuff?I email you back and say sorry i don't have it right now, i should have it in roughly 2 weeks then ill ship it. OK? that's misleading and isnt right.this is the same type of scenario.

There is a BIG difference between an individual posting something for sale and a company listing their catalog online and allowing you to purchase from it.

It would be nice if there was realtime inventory on such sites. Magpul may still come out with that. Their site is new and there are things that are still coming.

Your comparison with Botach is also not really good. Magpul answered your call and agreed to cancel and refund. No leaving messages for days and weeks and never getting a call back, which is many peoples experience with Botach. I have had to chargeback to Botach at least once due to them and also report them to the BBB after several months of waiting for some boots I ordered and never getting a call back or an email back when I tried to follow up with it. That did not happen to you so it seems that your comparison is a bit lacking.

Maybe there was a bad attitude, but I have failed to understand what you are saying. I am not sure what you expected either and whether that was realistic (speaking of the phone call, not the website)

Anyway, I am done with this. Good luck!

chadbag
03-09-10, 21:39
they all need to be on a network, when ever and item is shown to be sold the program will automatically deduct it from the inventory spreadsheet. when an item arrives its checked in and the count on the computer goes up.

Ok, one more comment.

It is not that easy. Believe me.

Belmont31R
03-09-10, 21:46

Well I am certainly willing to pay a small "premium" for online stores that let me know before I order if they have the item in stock or not.

The 3 places I buy most often from are BCM, operationparts.com, and PK Firearms because I know when I buy something its going to be in stock. There is nothing like ordering a few parts, and then come to find out a week later nothing you ordered is in stock but the company went ahead and charged you anyways. I personally think its THEFT to charge someone money, and you don't even have the product in hand. Obvious exceptions is ordering a custom made part or something you know is going to be a while to get.

Its just simply criteria I use as a consumer to be happy with shopping online. I avoid sites that do not keep active inventory because its a huge PITA when something is not in stock, and it turns out your CC got charged anyways.

C4IGrant
03-09-10, 21:55

Bingo! People that don't operate store fronts, online sales phone/mail order based companies have ZERO clue about how difficult it is to keep up with inventory levels.

One last thing. Magpul has always accepted individual orders. Back in their early days this was no problem, now they are massive and monitoring their inventory levels against their website would be a nightmare (as it changes by the minute).

C4

Icculus
03-09-10, 22:01
Seriously. I'm sure when they are running full throttle on production and filling major orders to resellers its not easy to know if they have widget #4 in whatever color. Order from one of the resellers and call it a day. G&R, Bravo Company, and Rainier Arms I believe all have inventory (out of stock) updates on their page, offer great prices, have good selection (1 of the 3 has about anything I've been looking for) and have great service. I've ordered from all with success. The only product from magpul I've had some interest in and haven't seen anywhere else is the hat, wink wink

chadbag
03-09-10, 22:09
Well I am certainly willing to pay a small "premium" for online stores that let me know before I order if they have the item in stock or not.

The 3 places I buy most often from are BCM, operationparts.com, and PK Firearms because I know when I buy something its going to be in stock. There is nothing like ordering a few parts, and then come to find out a week later nothing you ordered is in stock but the company went ahead and charged you anyways. I personally think its THEFT to charge someone money, and you don't even have the product in hand. Obvious exceptions is ordering a custom made part or something you know is going to be a while to get.

Its just simply criteria I use as a consumer to be happy with shopping online. I avoid sites that do not keep active inventory because its a huge PITA when something is not in stock, and it turns out your CC got charged anyways.

That is fine. I am not criticizing your decision. Only your description of the problem and the solution.

My store does not show active inventory though most items are in stock. My store does not CHARGE you either. It merely saves your info and I charge it by hand once the item is available. I try and let you know asap as well.

I am working on a new store using new software and am going to try to do an inventory thing with it but do not know how successful I will be. That is the future. But I don't charge you either until it is ready to ship...

But it is a VERY difficult problem. I have shopped for stuff before online from companies that claimed it was in stock only to find out that their system was messed up and not showing accurate counts. It sucks, but it is life.

Icculus
03-09-10, 22:16
But it is a VERY difficult problem. I have shopped for stuff before online from companies that claimed it was in stock only to find out that their system was messed up and not showing accurate counts. It sucks, but it is life.

Very true. As long as they haven't charged you yet or either get you your money or product in a reasonable time with good communication then no harm, no foul. Bigger things to get worked up over

Byron
03-09-10, 22:40
It should also be stated for the record that Magpul does not charge you until an item ships to you.

I once placed a large order with them of multiple items. It was not all in stock at the same time... I think it came to me in 3 shipments. I was only charged for each item as it shipped and I only paid the original shipping and handling assessment.

The premise of this thread seems quite trivial to me. As an internet consumer, I never operate under the assumption that an item is truly in stock unless the site clearly has an active inventory.

Magpul plays the role of manufacturer, distributor, and retailer. Given the various directions from which they certainly receive orders, in unpredictable quantity and demand, it doesn't surprise me in the least that they don't find it practical to keep an up-to-the-minute online inventory. They're not just dealing with guys like us: they have to fill LE/Mil contracts, bulk purchases from retailers, etc.

If you're suggesting that they keep an active inventory, I assume you also have a business strategy for them as to what part of their stock they should list on the site. Should they set a fixed percentage of manufactured goods for 'net sales? Should everything be first come, first served? Why did Magpul say they had 3,000 PMAGs in stock yesterday and now they have none???? Did one dealer get priority over another? Why wasn't my shop's order filled? Etc etc etc etc....

Easier said than done.

kmrtnsn
03-09-10, 23:19
Try shooting several thousand rounds through a piece of gear and then breaking it, then calling the MFGR, like Magpul and telling them about it and then being told, "another is on its way to replace it" no questions asked.

Magpul has been out of stock on several items that I have wanted from time to time when I have ordered them but the little things, like mentioned above have earned my loyalty. I have ordered from them, I currently have outstanding orders right now from them, and I will order from them in the future.

BTW, for those that don't know, there are only three employees at Magpul that handle phone orders. I can name them, as can others here at M4C. I think they do a fabulous job considering the sheer volume of business that they do everyday, both retail and wholesale. Magpul is a company that has undergone incredible growth in the last several years. A bit of understanding should be afforded them when dealing with them directly.

MassMark
03-10-10, 00:29
I had the opposite experience with Magpul - complete. Not being very up to date on "the latest and greatest", I E-mailed Magpul the other day, begging them to make a MOE in mid-length. I'm semi-obsessed with a middy build right now and love the MOE hand guard, (I'm personally railing against rails) and had the bright idea that Magpul should consider manufacturing one.... I'm Irish and well-used to being a day late and a dollar short. I half-expected to never receive a reply. After all - they're Magpul - much bigger fish to fry than a working schmuck from Western Massachusetts asking about a $30.00 hand guard...I received an E-mail a few hours later from Justin stating that they would indeed be releasing a mid-length MOE hand guard this summer....

The to me, equates to when I called LaRue a few years ago to ask a compatibility question regarding a mount for my SOCOM-16 and Mark picked up the phone. Stuff like that I do not forget and MagPul gained a customer for life...Small potatoes and all... ;)

Gasitman
03-10-10, 01:05
A customer is a customer, big or small. Many companies have forgotten that. Thus, many are going out of business. Ones that have government contracts have nothing to fear right now, but this is the case with companies like Sears, Kmart, and Firestone.

The old saying the customer is always right is in old adage from the past. Too bad. :(

Lee Indy
03-10-10, 01:24
i tried to order from magpul once........... yeah now i go threw distributors. magpul has blown up and they dont have time for my sub 1k order.

SPEAKING of distibutors anyone know of one with Magpul Propaganda in stock?

thopkins22
03-10-10, 01:37
i tried to order from magpul once........... yeah now i go threw distributors. magpul has blown up and they dont have time for my sub 1k order.

SPEAKING of distibutors anyone know of one with Magpul Propaganda in stock?

SKD. Just go to the top of the page and click on PIG.

Lee Indy
03-10-10, 02:05
SKD. Just go to the top of the page and click on PIG.

not seeing a pig.

bobvila
03-10-10, 03:22
I had the opposite experience with Magpul - complete. Not being very up to date on "the latest and greatest", I E-mailed Magpul the other day, begging them to make a MOE in mid-length. I'm semi-obsessed with a middy build right now and love the MOE hand guard, (I'm personally railing against rails) and had the bright idea that Magpul should consider manufacturing one.... I'm Irish and well-used to being a day late and a dollar short. I half-expected to never receive a reply. After all - they're Magpul - much bigger fish to fry than a working schmuck from Western Massachusetts asking about a $30.00 hand guard...I received an E-mail a few hours later from Justin stating that they would indeed be releasing a mid-length MOE hand guard this summer....

The to me, equates to when I called LaRue a few years ago to ask a compatibility question regarding a mount for my SOCOM-16 and Mark picked up the phone. Stuff like that I do not forget and MagPul gained a customer for life...Small potatoes and all... ;)

Yes your email prompted them to make it, thanks :rolleyes:

rob_s
03-10-10, 04:48
I happen to think that Magpul should stop taking individual orders altogether.

I also think that saying "keeping online inventory is hard" is bullshit. I don't care if it's hard or if it's easy, if you're going to play in the online sales game it's part of the requirement today. Can't be bothered? Don't sell shit online.

Agree with what others said re: buying from vendors not manufacturers. I try to do that with every product and whenever possible. Vendors will just about always have better pricing than the manufacturer, and as mentioned are typically better equipped to do the personal sales.

bobvila
03-10-10, 05:02
What Rob said. It makes no sense for them to do online sales, they will not undercut their distributors on price so why bother selling at list price. It also looks bad when the manufacturer is out of stock, when you know they are shipping out THOUSANDS of the items that you want.

I can see a manufacturer offering sales with over stocked stuff and giving big discounts, other than that it is just a waste of time and money.

vetsvette
03-10-10, 05:14
Between Midway and Brownells I found everything I wanted for a lot less than MSRP.

C4IGrant
03-10-10, 09:28
I also think that saying "keeping online inventory is hard" is bullshit. I don't care if it's hard or if it's easy, if you're going to play in the online sales game it's part of the requirement today. Can't be bothered? Don't sell shit online.

No really it is very hard to impossible. Here are some of the reasons why (above and beyond what I listed on page one).

1. Manufacturers send you box. There is no packing slip or invoice in the box. The invoice either comes the following week or not at all (as they dropped the ball). You HAVE to have the invoice to enter the QTY's into Quickbooks (or whatever system you are running).

So what do you do? Just sit on this item until you get the invoice? All the while you could be filling orders and making money? Online sales is about turn over (as the profit margins aren't all that great).

2. We allow customers to build custom uppers, lowers, flashlights and some other things. It is nearly impossible to get this type of stuff to integrate into a shopping cart and QB's. This is why you don't see a lot of dealers (that have active inventory system's) doing what we do.

3. We stock well over 10,000 different items. Hand jamming each item into our system would be nightmare that I simply do not have time to do.

Lastly, the companies that run active inventories typically don't have store fronts, do gun shows or take phone orders. We do. To us, being able to do these things is much more important than having an active inventory.

C4

C4IGrant
03-10-10, 09:33
Between Midway and Brownells I found everything I wanted for a lot less than MSRP.

FYI, the discounts you see at Brownells is typically not as good as you would get with a dealer.

These companies typically play game in which they raise the retail price (above what the manufacturer sets) and then give you a discount off of that. So in some instances, you believe you are getting a discounts, but are actually paying MAP.

Find a dealer you like and ask them if they offer discounts. You might be shocked at the price differences. ;)

C4

Icculus
03-10-10, 09:59
I think a lot of it is what we've become as a technological enhanced consumer society. We want everything better, faster, cheaper, on demand and so on and want it immediately if not faster (not being judgmental, I'm guilty too). This is possible if you're dealing with one of the monster companies with resources galore and cash coming out their ears; an IBM, Apple, Walmart, etc. Truth is the majority of small and medium sized businesses in this country don't have the ability to provide what these huge corporations can in terms of inventory management, tracking and control; slick webstore widgets; etc. (What you do get with small companies is usually far superior customer service :)) To use G&R as an example since they are chiming in. I have no real idea how big their business is but I doubt they a full time IT dept with web designer, inventory mgmt dept. and a room full of agents manning phones or online help chats. Most business couldn't support that and still maintain any profitability. I think we need to keep it in perspective and appreciate just how fortunate we are to be able to shop from 1000's of businesses online (some with outstanding prices and customer service) and enjoy the options and inventories they provide. I love my local gun shop but it would seriously suck if their selection was the only thing I had.

C4IGrant
03-10-10, 10:02
I think a lot of it is what we've become as a technological enhanced consumer society. We want everything better, faster, cheaper, on demand and so on and want it immediately if not faster. This is possible if you're dealing with one of the monster companies with resources galore and cash coming out their ears; an IBM, Apple, Walmart, etc. Truth is the majority of small and medium sized businesses in this country don't have the ability to provide what these huge corporations can in terms of inventory management, tracking and control; slick webstore widgets; etc. (What you do get with small companies is usually far superior customer service :)) To use G&R as an example since they are chiming in. I have no real idea how big their business is but I doubt they a full time IT dept with web designer, inventory mgmt dept. and a room full of agents manning phones or online help chats. Most business couldn't support that and still maintain any profitability. I think we need to keep it in perspective and appreciate just how fortunate we are to be able to shop from 1000's of businesses online and enjoy the options and inventories they provide. I love my local gun shop but it would seriously suck if their selection was the only thing I had.

Right you are. I am the following:

IT
Payroll
Gunsmith
Sales
Marketing
Secretary
Janitor
Labor
Stockboy
CS
Shipping
Product specialist
Instructor
Accounting

Am I the master of any of them? No way. I do the best I can with what I have and try to help people make informed decisions about what they are buying and why they need it or don't.

C4

ToddG
03-10-10, 10:19
Damn, I was all excited thinking Magpul had come out with a new product called the R.A.N.T. to go with the M.A.D.!

rob_s
03-10-10, 10:37
No really it is very hard to impossible. Here are some of the reasons why (above and beyond what I listed on page one).

1. Manufacturers send you box. There is no packing slip or invoice in the box. The invoice either comes the following week or not at all (as they dropped the ball). You HAVE to have the invoice to enter the QTY's into Quickbooks (or whatever system you are running).

So what do you do? Just sit on this item until you get the invoice? All the while you could be filling orders and making money? Online sales is about turn over (as the profit margins aren't all that great).

2. We allow customers to build custom uppers, lowers, flashlights and some other things. It is nearly impossible to get this type of stuff to integrate into a shopping cart and QB's. This is why you don't see a lot of dealers (that have active inventory system's) doing what we do.

3. We stock well over 10,000 different items. Hand jamming each item into our system would be nightmare that I simply do not have time to do.

Lastly, the companies that run active inventories typically don't have store fronts, do gun shows or take phone orders. We do. To us, being able to do these things is much more important than having an active inventory.

C4

But as a consumer I don't care. I really, really don't care. Those are your problems as a retailer. I could not possibly care less. I don't get to bitch that my job is "hard". If it was easy, women would do it. ;)
(nobody get offended, old construction joke)

And I am far from alone in this. If I'm shopping online it is for the convenience. Make it less convenient than what I am used to and I will move on. Have a tedious sorting system, a shitty search feature, a bad stock indicator, and I'll move on. This is one of the reasons I typically start at Brownells (with discount). Their search sucks but I've learned to work it, and their in-stock indicators and other handling is pretty seamless, not to mention once I log in my account information is stored and I don't have to re-type it anymore. I am willing to pay an extra dollar for this. I don't generally need to be counseled on what I'm buying, I just need to know the price, if it's in stock, not get ass-raped on the shipping, and process the order as quickly as possible.

thopkins22
03-10-10, 10:47
not seeing a pig.

Really? There's a row of sponsors that goes TigerSwan, BCM, SSA, Wilson Combat, and Pig(SKD)

JC0352
03-10-10, 10:59
A few months ago, I ordered multiple items from Magpul and they sent me what they had, and that's the only stuff I was billed for. Right after I placed the order, I received an email telling me one item was out of stock (a shirt). I simply called them and replaced it with one that was in stock. Every time I've spoken with them on the phone, they're extremely polite and helpful.

Rated21R
03-10-10, 11:04
This thread is really amazing. I think it really all boils down to if you don't like X companies website or customer service or whatever it may be, don't buy from them. At the end of the day you the consumer have the ultimate power. You control your credit card and you can choose where you want to shop. I'm sure everyone on this site shops at many different places for many different reasons. Some for discounts, some for updated/real-time inventory status updates, some for cool/trendy/hip web-sites, some because the kool-aid tastes right.

The OP says over and over that he is going to avoid sites that don't have updated inventory status...then don't buy direct from Magpul, problem solved.

I can see this thread going on for quite a while. To quote Terrell Owens, "get your popcorn."

rob_s
03-10-10, 11:11
This thread is really amazing. I think it really all boils down to if you don't like X companies website or customer service or whatever it may be, don't buy from them. At the end of the day you the consumer have the ultimate power. You control your credit card and you can choose where you want to shop. I'm sure everyone on this site shops at many different places for many different reasons. Some for discounts, some for updated/real-time inventory status updates, some for cool/trendy/hip web-sites, some because the kool-aid tastes right.

I don't think it's too much to ask for online retailers who do not update inventory to say so.

Personally I tend to assume that they do not unless they indicate that they do, and I move on if I can't figure it out.

By the OP posting perhaps he saves someone of a like mind of the hassle of dealing with it.

Rated21R
03-10-10, 11:14
I don't think it's too much to ask for online retailers who do not update inventory to say so.

Personally I tend to assume that they do not unless they indicate that they do, and I move on if I can't figure it out.

By the OP posting perhaps he saves someone of a like mind of the hassle of dealing with it.

Why can't most folks do what you do then? If it's not posted that they do or do not update the inventory, just move on to another site.

orionz06
03-10-10, 11:29
Why can't most folks do what you do then? If it's not posted that they do or do not update the inventory, just move on to another site.

Too many variables. Stock and shipping play a large part with multiple items. It seems at times different retailers have the best prices on different items, never are all my purchases the best price at the place they are ordered from if there is a list.

Byron
03-10-10, 11:36
But as a consumer I don't care. I really, really don't care. Those are your problems as a retailer.
I don't think anyone is asking you to care. I think people are trying to explain to you why internet shopping isn't always the perfectly blissful experience that you want it to be.

Don't want to shop at the places that aren't perfectly blissful? Fine.

This is ridiculous though:

Some of us recognize that internet shopping isn't always perfect. Some of us are willing to put up with this. I would rather have options as a consumer.

You are saying that people who don't meet your bar shouldn't sell online at all? I say screw that - I would rather have the option to order from Magpul, even if they don't meet your standards. I would rather they keep their current system in place than shut it down completely.

This isn't really exclusive to the internet. Some brick and mortar retailers go above and beyond others to offer you a more pleasurable experience as a consumer: anything from clean aisles to in-store price comparison systems. Should all storefronts shut down if they don't offer you all the features that you want?

You're already voting with your wallet. If enough people feel the same way that you do then these evil abominations of internet commerce will eventually fade away. Then you can have another opportunity to shout from the rooftops how right you are about everything.

Or maybe different consumers have different expectations, different levels of patience, and are willing to deal with different shopping experiences based on what they need and who they are getting it from.

Get over yourself.

C4IGrant
03-10-10, 12:03
But as a consumer I don't care. I really, really don't care. Those are your problems as a retailer. I could not possibly care less. I don't get to bitch that my job is "hard". If it was easy, women would do it. ;)
(nobody get offended, old construction joke)

Sure. I also don't care about having an active inventory on my website so we are even. I was also attempting to educate you on why we do what we do. You need to walk in our shoes before making blanket statements about how a business should be run.

And I am far from alone in this. If I'm shopping online it is for the convenience. Make it less convenient than what I am used to and I will move on. Have a tedious sorting system, a shitty search feature, a bad stock indicator, and I'll move on. This is one of the reasons I typically start at Brownells (with discount). Their search sucks but I've learned to work it, and their in-stock indicators and other handling is pretty seamless, not to mention once I log in my account information is stored and I don't have to re-type it anymore. I am willing to pay an extra dollar for this. I don't generally need to be counseled on what I'm buying, I just need to know the price, if it's in stock, not get ass-raped on the shipping, and process the order as quickly as possible.

Most people e-mail us to double check if something is in stock. Since we typically return e-mails in 15 minutes, that works pretty well for everyone.
Dailey, we evaluate our inventory and put things on back order on our website. So it is usually pretty up to date. Couple this with our low shipping rate, and M4C member discount code we have been VERY successful with our business plan.

C4

C4IGrant
03-10-10, 12:08
I don't think anyone is asking you to care. I think people are trying to explain to you why internet shopping isn't always the perfectly blissful experience that you want it to be.

Don't want to shop at the places that aren't perfectly blissful? Fine.

This is ridiculous though:

Some of us recognize that internet shopping isn't always perfect. Some of us are willing to put up with this. I would rather have options as a consumer.

You are saying that people who don't meet your bar shouldn't sell online at all? I say screw that - I would rather have the option to order from Magpul, even if they don't meet your standards. I would rather they keep their current system in place than shut it down completely.

This isn't really exclusive to the internet. Some brick and mortar retailers go above and beyond others to offer you a more pleasurable experience as a consumer: anything from clean aisles to in-store price comparison systems. Should all storefronts shut down if they don't offer you all the features that you want?

You're already voting with your wallet. If enough people feel the same way that you do then these evil abominations of internet commerce will eventually fade away. Then you can have another opportunity to shout from the rooftops how right you are about everything.

Or maybe different consumers have different expectations, different levels of patience, and are willing to deal with different shopping experiences based on what they need and who they are getting it from.

Get over yourself.

Right. Walk into our shop and need an AR looked over or something tightened/adjusted? Zero cost. Want us to assemble your web order of parts? Zero cost. Need expert advice on building quality guns on a budget, we can help.

Get that from an online ONLY retailer with an active inventory shopping cart. ;)

C4

rob_s
03-10-10, 12:55
I don't think they shouldn't be in business, but I don't think they should be surprised when someone moves on.

Get over yourself.
WTF does this have to do with anything?

rob_s
03-10-10, 13:02
Sure. I also don't care about having an active inventory on my website so we are even. I was also attempting to educate you on why we do what we do. You need to walk in our shoes before making blanket statements about how a business should be run.

No, I don't. and it's not about how they should be run, it's about the service I prefer to see as a consumer. I know it's not your business model, but some retailers are interested in the wants of their potential customers. ;)

I read your posts in this thread and all I see are excuses. To you they are "reasons" but to me they are excuses. I see the same kind of "I can't because" from employees and subcontractors every day. It's meaningless and sounds to me like whining. People either deal with it and choose to continue to shop there for whatever other reason (price, perception of service, whatever) but all I'm hearing is excuses. I don't have to run a plumbing business to buy plumbing services, and I don't have to run a retail shop to know what services I want to see (although I have at least worked in one).

As you well know I have done business with you in the past, and will continue to do so. This isn't what that's about. and it's not just about "me" either (byron's inability to understand that aside) as there are others who are posting here and have posted elsewhere in the past that they would prefer to shop with dealers who show their inventory online.

There are lots of reasons people choose to shop with one dealer or another, or not shop with one dealer or another. This is just one of them. I'm frankly surprised it's stirring up so much shit, although I suppose that people get just as emotionally attached to their dealers as they do their junk.

chadbag
03-10-10, 13:03
I don't think they shouldn't be in business, but I don't think they should be surprised when someone moves on.

and

come again? (bolding emphasis is mine)

;)

rob_s
03-10-10, 13:07
alright then, don't whine about it and make excuses? Which is really what the "don't sell shit online" statement was pretty obviously referring to. Take the whole sentence in context.

Either do it, or don't, but don't make excuses and bitch about it and say "it's too hard".

At least Grant's last post finally tried to point out what services they DO offer instead of just making excuses for what they don't. But hell, I thought they had in-stock/out-of-stock listed on their site anyway, so shows what I know.

Again, all I'm pointing out is that there is certainly one segment of consumers that doesn't need (since "care" is apparently such a hot-button word for some people) things assembled, or to be told what to buy, or whatever. We know what we want, we want to know that it is in stock or not, and we want to order it with the least amount of hassle.

Byron
03-10-10, 13:18
WTF does this have to do with anything?
It has to do with the fact that you routinely communicate in a very condescending manner on these forums, this thread being no exception.

I'm sure your take is that you are just 'calling it like it is' or being a 'blunt' person, but absolute proclamations that dealers who don't do business your way just shouldn't "sell shit online" is pompous.

I know it's not your business model, but some retailers are interested in the wants of their potential customers. ;)
Not even getting into the part where you accuse Grant of being a whiner, this is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Your sideways jabs just reinforce the image I have of you.

I suppose that people get just as emotionally attached to their dealers as they do their junk.
You can choose to interpret it that way if you wish. I haven't placed an order with Magpul in over a year. I frequent a diverse base of retailers. My issue is with your black and white philosophy that anyone who doesn't deliver to your standards should close up shop. Yes, I know you've now claimed that's not what you were saying *shrug*

While we're at it, what's with these jerk holster makers who make me wait a few weeks for a holster? Some of their competitors always have holsters on hand. Holy crap: if they can't keep stock around for me to get my hands on immediately, they shouldn't be in business. I don't want to hear their excuses: that's just a bunch of whining. :rolleyes:

Lee Indy
03-10-10, 13:22
Really? There's a row of sponsors that goes TigerSwan, BCM, SSA, Wilson Combat, and Pig(SKD)

google chrome with add block. i just went to there website only troy and vltor

yrac
03-10-10, 13:40
This has run its course.