PDA

View Full Version : SW MP questions

nwcatman
03-09-10, 19:26
if this has been beat to death in the past-sorry. just point me towards the old posts and i'll look at em. whats the diff. between a regular MP and a LE one? i have a regular one in .40 cal w/the apex sear and love it. my 70 series colt commander is probably going to be retired so i can pass it on to the the kids in decent shape, and am leaning towards replacing it w/ a MP .45. thanks in advance. love this site!

Jay Cunningham
03-09-10, 19:29
So how do you tell if you have an LE M&P pistol? (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=48741)

:)

markm
03-09-10, 19:30
The difference is tighter QC, an extra (third) Mag, and night sights I think.

nwcatman
03-09-10, 19:32
i asked first!

nwcatman
03-09-10, 19:32
tighter QC being?? closer slide to frame fit? better trigger? inquiring minds wanna know. and so does my small one!

markm
03-09-10, 19:45
tighter QC being??

They check it more thoroughly for defects.

I read YET ANOTHER M&P crap out story on ARF today. Smith had a bunch of slides that had bad melonite on them and were rusting badly. A guy had good pics of his.

nwcatman
03-09-10, 19:55

I read YET ANOTHER M&P crap out story on ARF today. Smith had a bunch of slides that had bad melonite on them and were rusting badly. A guy had good pics of his.

now THAT i didn't wanna hear! guess its wait and see time again.

markm
03-09-10, 20:00
That's an old problem I guess. But yet another issue with the gun I didn't want to hear either.

With Smith's classic celebration of mediocrity, I waited a LONG TIME before I pulled the trigger on one of these guns. As soon as I finally bought one, I started seeing several negative issues on the gun boards.

I've got my pistol to where I can live with it.

Joeywhat
03-09-10, 20:05
The slide issues are REAL old...

It's a new gun, it'll have problems. Glock has been around for how long now and still has problems...

Alpha Sierra
03-09-10, 20:12
The slide issues are REAL old...

It's a new gun, it'll have problems. Glock has been around for how long now and still has problems...

+1

The Glock "perfection" bullshit does get old.

Jay Cunningham
03-09-10, 20:16
If this turns into a Glock vs. M&P thread it is getting trashed.

RogerinTPA
03-09-10, 20:39
For what it's worth, I've heard more positive comments about the M&P than negative ones. I had some issues with the FS 45 a few years ago when dry firing without snap caps, but the fault was mine. S&W replaced the striker I broke and the weapon has been fine to date. They also have improved the striker assembly over the years as well. I own 4 M&Ps with 4 to 5K rounds on each and still highly recommend them.

bobvila
03-09-10, 21:01
Reading about problems on the internet is common, whether the company takes care of it is another. I have never seen anyone saying that S&W has not taken care of an issue.

nwcatman
03-09-10, 21:16
If this turns into a Glock vs. M&P thread it is getting trashed.

i hope not. wasn't my intention at all. just looking for some reliable information.

ralph
03-09-10, 21:34

I'd have very little faith in anything from Arfcom..one thing generally not tolerated over there are actual facts.. Markm..No personel attack intended, But, Arfcom just is'nt a very reliable source of information..

M4arc
03-09-10, 21:45
I'm probably not qualifed to provide an opinion but there was a rash of bad slides and rusting issues posted on mp-pistol.com a long time ago. S&W has corrected the problem and more than likely that was an old slide or an old issue that someone wanted to drag back up.

Now that we've got that out of the way let's get this thread back on topic and discuss the extra mag you get with an LE gun.

nwcatman
03-09-10, 23:41
i agree! so........back to my original question. is that what makes the LE an LE? the extra mag and stricter QC? how about the PRO? what the diff. there?

markm
03-10-10, 15:30
I'd have very little faith in anything from Arfcom..one thing generally not tolerated over there are actual facts.. Markm..No personel attack intended, But, Arfcom just is'nt a very reliable source of information..

Right. I understand that quite well. But the problem was documented with pics and seemed legit. No offense taken.;)

And as stated, it sounds like an old issue.

rathos
03-10-10, 16:44
The PRO has the pro sear, makes the break a bit cleaner and the reset more positive. If I remember correctly they also have a fiber optic site set.

As far as durability issues are concerned I think S&W has them sorted out. The WSP wouldn't have switched from their USPs otherwise.

i agree! so........back to my original question. is that what makes the LE an LE? the extra mag and stricter QC? how about the PRO? what the diff. there?