PDA

View Full Version : I cant aim my gun =[ lol

Stevieterry
03-09-10, 21:41
Ok i put a red dot on my AR 15. Its the first gun i've had, just got it today.

I put the red dot on but i cant see past the front iron sight.

What should i do?

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn55/stevieterry/IMG_0426.jpg

Jay Cunningham
03-09-10, 21:44
Can you show a picture of the whole thing?

tmanker
03-09-10, 21:44
Do you have a quad rail handguard? If so, get out the hacksaw and put troy BUIS on her...or put a riser block on the rail...or better yet, replace that optic with an aimpoint T1 in larue mount. Done deal.

Stevieterry
03-09-10, 21:46
Do you have a quad rail handguard? If so, get out the hacksaw and put troy BUIS on her...or put a riser block on the rail...or better yet, replace that optic with an aimpoint T1 in larue mount. Done deal.

No i just got it today.
I will have a Quad rail here soon.
I dont really know what a BUIS or a larue is though.

Surf
03-09-10, 21:47
You need to get a bit of elevation off of the rail with the red dot sight mount (riser mount, rail spacer etc). Keep both eyes open. Get yourself some rear sights.

lethal dose
03-09-10, 21:48
You need a riser.

JSantoro
03-09-10, 21:55
^^That. From what the picture shows, your optic is right on the rail. It needs more altitude, therefore a riser if the rail interface is integral to the optic. Otherwise, a 1/3 or absolute co-witness mount for the optic if the current mount isn't integral.

What the hell is that thing, anyway?

Stevieterry
03-09-10, 21:56
^^That. From what the picture shows, your optic is right on the rail. It needs more altitude, therefore a riser if the rail interface is integral to the optic. Otherwise, a 1/3 or absolute co-witness mount for the optic if the current mount isn't integral.

What the hell is that thing, anyway?

I got it from walmart for 25 bucks. Crappy Tasco one lol.
My gun didnt come with a rear sight so i just slapped it on there.

JonnyVain
03-09-10, 22:05
You need a riser. But I wouldn't bother since your Tapco sight will break very quickly. If you wan't a budget optic go to Primary Arms.

Tangotag
03-09-10, 22:24
Can you show a picture of the whole thing?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=49092
;)

kmrtnsn
03-09-10, 22:32
Take that thing back to Walmart and get your money back. The people here will find you a much better optic without busting your wallet.

M4Fundi
03-09-10, 23:25
It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3- in-1 oil and some gauze pads, and I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze , preferably Prestone. No, no better make that Quaker State. ...:p

kmrtnsn
03-09-10, 23:26
Fletch!!!!

newguy
03-09-10, 23:37
You can start with a 1/2 in. riser to start if thats not enough then you can try a taller scope ring YANKEE HILL MFG. sells this kind of stuff real cheep .

you want your dot right on top of you sight post so sight your gun in first with your iron sights.

A BUIS is a sight behind your optic.

A 1/3 co-witness is when your sight post is in lower portion of your scope.

look up co-witness on this forum for more help.

hope this helps you good luck and be SAFE.

M4Fundi
03-09-10, 23:42
Fletch!!!!

LOL, sorry this is how I tell all the young bucks how to fix things when asked and they usually "give me that look! You know he's got that look!:p"

kmrtnsn
03-09-10, 23:44
A $35 dollar riser for a $25 dollar Walmart scope is a false economy. RETURN the Walmart scope and DO NOT SPEND ANOTHER DIME until you've spent a few weeks reading posts here. USE the wealth of info here to your advantage.

MassMark
03-10-10, 00:06
I concur. If you're on a budget, return scope and get yourself a carry handle. They can be had for short money.... There are those who will indeed say to go red dot first, (and I don't disagree with them necessarily), but with a budget - you'll get budget optics and it will fail. That being said, there are red dots out there that will last for short dough. My advice though stands: Buy a carry handle, or at the least a good rail mounted fixed or flip-up and keep shooting...

jaxman7
03-10-10, 03:37
I agree with Massmark. Get rid of that thing and do some research. This website is GREAT for that. What I would recommend and I think a lot of guys on here would agree with me on this is to go to a company called magpul (anyone else ever heard of this company?!?! He he) @ magpul.com. They have some polymer sights called the MBUS. I highly recommend a rear MBUS sight for you and shop around. You can get one for $40. I know a plastic sight is not as sexy as a red dot but trust me you do not want cheap optic. Save up and do some research bud and in the meantime find a good instructor who can show you how to properly run that weapon. Don't fall into the trap of decorating the gun. Buy ammo,train; buy more ammo,train. Anyway I am preaching and getting off topic. Good luck!

bobvila
03-10-10, 03:46
Shoot with both eyes open and it will not matter. You can even put the cover on the front of the red dot and still be able to shoot it as long as both eyes are open.

jaxman7
03-10-10, 03:47
Ooooops.....should've read your other post first. Somebody already beat me to the MBUS

seebee
03-10-10, 07:54

Great... I'm soo glad people can waste their time telling you how to sight in a 25 dollar sight... you'll spend more sighting it in, when you could have bought a decent sight! get an eotech cheap ass!

John_Wayne777
03-10-10, 07:57

It's going to be difficult getting that kind of optic to be arranged properly with iron sights on an AR for a couple of reasons. I'm sure somebody out there makes something that will work, but I have no idea who.

larry0071
03-10-10, 08:10
Great... I'm soo glad people can waste their time telling you how to sight in a 25 dollar sight... you'll spend more sighting it in, when you could have bought a decent sight! get an eotech cheap ass!

Not everyone can realistically afford an Eotech or AimPoint, me being one of them.

I run an inexpensive Millet SP1 red dot on a 1" raiser. The Millet is about $95 and the raiser is around $25-$35. What you have is likely not going to hold zero for long, especially if you bump it around. I think Dicks Sporting Goods has .5" and 1" raisers hanging in blister packs, it may let you get started while you save for a better peice of equipment.

Guys, try to be nice, he is new to AR's and firearms as he says in the original post. Rather than make him feel like a turd, be understanding and try to remember your own ignorance when you initially began to dabble in this sport. Some times we all forget what it is like to be the new guy. He needs help, not ridiculed.... if he wanted to be abused he would go talk to his wife/GF!

bkb0000
03-10-10, 08:10
http://www.impactguns.com/store/YHM-220.html

something like this might get it up there.. YHM has a bunch of different risers, shop around.

OR....

you could negate the whole issue, as well as everyone ripping on you, as well as an optic failure right in the middle of defending your life, by ditching the POS and getting an aimpoint. C3s can be had for less than $400

michschi
03-10-10, 08:24

UNCALLED FOR!

jaxman7
03-10-10, 08:49

With all due respect. .......that's just rude man.

uwe1
03-10-10, 17:44
Guys, I think the OP is going to have to reach the conclusions that many of us have gotten to by trial and error. There was an earlier thread where he asked for advice on a rifle. Everyone recommended a BCM or MP15. He ended up with a Doublestar. It is probably good enough for his intended use. Hell, when I started I bought a UTG carbine rail that I kept on my gun for months until I realized I wanted to ugrade. Each of our mistakes helped us to learn and understand the value in good gear. He just needs to get there himself.

CaptainDooley
03-10-10, 18:22
With all due respect. .......that's just rude man.

Rude, but not untrue.

ryan
03-10-10, 18:34
Guys, I think the OP is going to have to reach the conclusions that many of us have gotten to by trial and error. There was an earlier thread where he asked for advice on a rifle. Everyone recommended a BCM or MP15. He ended up with a Doublestar. It is probably good enough for his intended use. Hell, when I started I bought a UTG carbine rail that I kept on my gun for months until I realized I wanted to ugrade. Each of our mistakes helped us to learn and understand the value in good gear. He just needs to get there himself.

Exactly, anyone giving this guy advice should read his first thread, I think arfcom would better suit his needs.

St.Michael
03-10-10, 19:17
read more threads and return it. get a magpul buis.

mity2
03-10-10, 19:29
You can replace front sight with folding one(or just gas block).
Cheaper alternative is to get scope riser
http://www.shopbarska.com/AR_15_Scopes_Mounts-BARSKA_AR_RISER_MOUNT.html

opmike
03-10-10, 20:19
If you're on a budget, and just plan on plinking with the thing at the range, I'd ditch the Tasco and order a Primary Arms Microdot with the riser. It will give you a decent lower 1/3rd co-witness.

bkb0000
03-10-10, 20:25
JUST STICK WITH IRONS TILL YOU CAN AFFORD A REAL RDS!!!

fo rill, yo.

uwe1
03-10-10, 20:52
JUST STICK WITH IRONS TILL YOU CAN AFFORD A REAL RDS!!!

fo rill, yo.

I totally agree with you, but I just don't think that he's there yet. I've made all sorts of purchases and learned from each one. Not all my purchases were bad, they just weren't for me (some were really lame purchases). Most beginners tend to tacticool their rifles and after awhile it gets old. Only by getting this new thing out of his system will he get to the point where there is an increased emphasis on the practicality of the weapon system....just speaking from a point of view from a person who has made those errors in judgement. For now, I think it's fine that he goes off and tries new things that he can afford...until he realizes he wants better.

ryan
03-10-10, 21:09
I totally agree with you, but I just don't think that he's there yet. I've made all sorts of purchases and learned from each one. Not all my purchases were bad, they just weren't for me (some were really lame purchases). Most beginners tend to tacticool their rifles and after awhile it gets old. Only by getting this new thing out of his system will he get to the point where there is an increased emphasis on the practicality of the weapon system....just speaking from a point of view from a person who has made those errors in judgement. For now, I think it's fine that he goes off and tries new things that he can afford...until he realizes he wants better.

I agree, every one of us has a laundry list of bad purchases that led us where we are, that being said the OP has asked for help numerous times and didnt heed any of it. My question is why ask anymore?, its the leading a horse to water thing.

Failure2Stop
03-10-10, 21:10
This train wreck is done.