PDA

View Full Version : Please critique my website: designatedmarksman.com/

danpass
03-10-10, 13:24
http://designatedmarksman.com/

Interested mostly about the content and ease of navigation.

If you have to ask what it's about then please be specific. I'm hoping it's self-explanatory.

If you REALLY feel that I should be using recurve CSS with superbold frameflash HTML inputs or whatever other mumbojumbo then I'll probably read up on it lol

JonnyVain
03-10-10, 13:38
Looks good. The only thing that stands out to me as being a low budget site is the way the lettering is over the pictures. It looks hilighted.

Content looks good too. I'm not a pro so I can't comment on that in detail.

danpass
03-10-10, 14:33
Ok. I know what you're talking about.

I'll refine that.

If any DMs would like to add their experiences I'd love to put it on the site.

Trajan
03-10-10, 14:34
Cool, a site devoted to DMs. Good work!

VooDoo6Actual
03-10-10, 15:42
Outstanding !

GermanSynergy
03-10-10, 16:09

If you have to ask what it's about then please be specific. I'm hoping it's self-explanatory.

If you REALLY feel that I should be using recurve CSS with superbold frameflash HTML inputs or whatever other mumbojumbo then I'll probably read up on it lol

I like it. Lots of good info! :cool:

dcollect
03-10-10, 16:24
I like it, it looks good and you can get around. But since you asked for critique so I will tell you what I would have done differently:

The links on the large images are not immediately discernible as navigation links. Myself, I'd put them as a horizontal nav bar under the large images you have on each page. This would be found on each page, rather than as now you click on the index you have all four links, but as you click on those and have to operate linearly to get to other areas.

I would basically remove all link text from the images and place them in a nav bar OR site content. Keep it consistent, the first couple pages seem to have more yellow links in the images then the rest. A side-bar nav item would work well too, but then I want a separator image from the main image and the content and that's just more work and they'll both look good and function.

Also I noticed the same title in use for each page. This also applies to meta keyword and description tags. The home page should contain keywords for the entire site, but content linked from home should have keywords relating to content on that specific page. If you're not concerned about search engine traffic then forget all that - I just consider search a navigational item.

Sorry for being a nit-picker, but, you asked for it. :D

orionz06
03-10-10, 16:25
I am indifferent on the background, it took me a second to realize it was camo, so perhaps a solid color would be better. The initial reaction might focus towards content. Even still, looks great!

Atg336
03-10-10, 17:56
I like it, it looks good and you can get around. But since you asked for critique so I will tell you what I would have done differently:

The links on the large images are not immediately discernible as navigation links. Myself, I'd put them as a horizontal nav bar under the large images you have on each page. This would be found on each page, rather than as now you click on the index you have all four links, but as you click on those and have to operate linearly to get to other areas.

I would basically remove all link text from the images and place them in a nav bar OR site content. Keep it consistent, the first couple pages seem to have more yellow links in the images then the rest. A side-bar nav item would work well too, but then I want a separator image from the main image and the content and that's just more work and they'll both look good and function.

Also I noticed the same title in use for each page. This also applies to meta keyword and description tags. The home page should contain keywords for the entire site, but content linked from home should have keywords relating to content on that specific page. If you're not concerned about search engine traffic then forget all that - I just consider search a navigational item.

What he said.

I'm no DM, but the info content is good and thorough. I'd suggest you put the FM numerology after the title and in parentheses.
The title for the ppts and other links should be larger font (and bold, italics, or different font styles so eyes will be drawn to them more).

I'm not a big fan of links obstructing a picture, it's like using an M16 to drive down a tent stake. A picture has an aesthetic function as well as an observational functionality. A link is a link, is a link. I'd keep the two separate.

Don't know if you are planning to keep the site spartan looking, but if you are you can do some more creative things with the lettering to make it flashier - which serves to ease the navigation for the, um, slower or inexperienced surfer... **** it: Old people on the internet need extra, extra help, and often their glasses get in the way, so larger bold and colorful letters are easier for them to pick out of the background. Not saying that I'm old (not by a long shot) but it's something to consider. In a curious way young people also tend to have their own eyeballs block their vision, so navigation wise: the flashier the better the ease of use. Bottom line: play with font styles and sizes if you want to keep a simple looking site without fancy organization schemes.

For example your top banner headlines are good; try to make the other titles for links (or groups of links) like these. Check out other websites and evaluate them objectively for looks and organization styles. This has always worked for me when I was tasked with making web content. I'd also left justify (like a book) as much as possible, i.e.: on The Training page you don't really need the bullet points, and you could left justify the plain lettering under the links like you did on The Rifle page. It's the small things that improve usability.

Good luck and good job so far!:D

danpass
03-10-10, 18:18
Awright, good stuff.

Im certainly a visual learner so if you have some examples of what you're talking about it would be very helpful.

Two weeks ago when I google searched "great websites", "good website layouts", "the best website navigation" I was, of course, inundiated with a metric crap ton of results, mostly sites selling templates.

The home page layout idea came from, I believe, a Porsche page (which I can't find right now) , which I thought was pretty cool. My HTML knowledge is still limited and I have only Frontpage (no dreamweaver, flash or anything else) to work with.

danpass
03-10-10, 19:13
updated

Atg336
03-10-10, 20:02
Working from quick memory and search:

www.tacticalyellowvisor.net - rob_s's website, very simple but functional.

http://www.epa.gov/lead/ - stupid example, but simply laid out and no flash. (Actually, just to get layout ideas, check out any govt. website. Here is another one: http://www.section508.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=content&ID=12)

http://econ2.econ.iastate.edu/tesfatsi/ace.htm - This one is kind of 'eh' but still.

http://www.megginson.com/downloads/SAX/ - again, simple but does a good job in telling your eyes where to look.

http://trace.wisc.edu/world/web/ - here is a shot in the dark. They may have some tutorials you could use. Check it out.

You get the idea.
Look at the web page's source codes (click view, then page source) to see what method they used.

danpass
03-10-10, 20:09
nice, thanks

PdxMotoxer
03-10-10, 20:50
yo-dawg.... how is it for you? i mean i feel ya and it seemed to start out sorta "pitchy" and i wasn't feelin it at first but then i was like
"hey this is really put together nice and i'm feelin the flow and get where
yo commin from"

WAIT>>> sorry wife is watching American Idol reruns in the background. lol

Seriously..... your sight looks great and i can see you put a lot of hard work and thought into it.
If you're like me you tend to obsess on how things look/line up so it's tough
to know when enough is enough and just leave it as is and call it done.

It's a well done sight and looks great!!
In fact thank you for sharing it with us.

SeriousStudent
03-10-10, 21:56
Thank you for providing the link to your site.

Back when I toted a musket and cutlass in the Corps, we did not have the DM. So it's interesting reading for me.

theblackknight
03-10-10, 21:56
Those buttstock mag holders are gay

danpass
03-10-10, 22:54
thanks.

when I started putting it together I was a bit surprised at the dearth of DM pics out there, even on defenseimagery.mil.

then to find out that there isn't even, as of yet, a DM MOS so to speak.

plenty of sniper stuff (pics, links, etc) but that is different.

A-Bear680
03-11-10, 12:44
Bump in hopes of more input from even more people , including Industry Pro's and Subject Matter Experts.

Razorhunter
03-11-10, 12:46
"Using the Mildot Reticle...A Tutorial" link was broken. Not sure if you knew that, but I was interested, and clicked the link, but it isn't working...

danpass
03-11-10, 14:17
"Using the Mildot Reticle...A Tutorial" link was broken. Not sure if you knew that, but I was interested, and clicked the link, but it isn't working...

looks like they changed the link recently

fixt

danpass
03-11-10, 15:41

Ok, I changed up the nav

danpass
03-14-10, 22:01
Any thoughts on the navigation setup now, 3-14-10?

thanks

MSP "Sarge"
03-14-10, 22:20
You did a good job! Looks cool! Interesting!

CyberM4
03-14-10, 22:38
Looks good to me. Thanks for the link to your web site.

theduke
03-14-10, 22:54
Looks fine. It's very clean and organized. That's 50% of web design. I would say another 30% is great pictures. The rest is minutea, preferences and opinion.

Mjolnir
03-15-10, 00:21

Outstanding. It's bookmarked and link sent out for others to read!

Mjolnir
03-15-10, 00:38
Portion 3 under "Training" has some issues with the writing.

Gr8 stuff, bro!

dcollect
03-15-10, 15:15
Looks great, huge improvement!

danpass
03-15-10, 16:40

Gr8 stuff, bro!

yeah, but that's how I found that file :o

danpass
03-16-10, 17:36

Gr8 stuff, bro!

I found the answer.

The file has to be run as a slideshow for the correct format.

danpass
03-18-10, 21:32
Made a change to the homepage.

Let me know what you think :D

danpass
03-19-10, 09:29
Anyone like the change? I won't say outright so I can get some input :)

cobra90gt
03-19-10, 13:27
Don't know what site looked like before you made the changes, but today (3-19), the navigation of your page is very straightforward. I dig it.