PDA

View Full Version : Dual Light mounts?

lovesAK
03-10-10, 13:29
I am wondering if anybody out there knows of a cheaper alternative to the Larue Double Stack light mount. I tried adding pics, but I'm not high enough on the food chain yet. Please check out the link below if you need a little clarification.

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=22

I want to mount a light and a backup light to my system, but I really can't justify spending that much on a mount, seeing as how I'm a broke college student. I would be willing to spend around $40, however it isn't a fixed limit and the pricing is flexible.

Please don't lecture me on what proper gear costs, and getting what you pay for, I've already been down that road. ;)

Thanks in advance!

lovesAK

militarymoron
03-10-10, 14:52
why not save the money and stick with one light?

RD62
03-10-10, 15:39
If you stick with a LED based light you have removed most of the potential for lamp issues, and greatly increased runtime. If you stay on top of keeping the batteries good, you should be fine with one light and you won't have the extra weight of a second light hanging off the rifle.

If you really want to run two lights and stay around $40 for mounts, I'd look at picking up two VTAC mounts and playing with their positioning on the rails to accomplish a setup thats comfortable to you.

Good luck!

-RD62

markm
03-10-10, 15:54
If you stick with a LED based light you have removed most of the potential for lamp issues, and greatly increased runtime. If you stay on top of keeping the batteries good, you should be fine with one light and you won't have the extra weight of a second light hanging off the rifle.

That's where I've gone myself.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/hudson092-1.jpg?t=1268257554

If you really want to run two lights and stay around $40 for mounts, I'd look at picking up two VTAC mounts and playing with their positioning on the rails to accomplish a setup thats comfortable to you.

That's where I used to be.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/hudson.jpg?t=1268257625

RD62
03-10-10, 16:02
That's where I've gone myself.

That's where I used to be.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/hudson.jpg?t=1268257625

Well what do ya know.... Great minds think alike!

I now run setups similar to your top one.

My SBR I use a Midwest Ind Tactical Light Mount (FSB mount) to provide a rail for a VLTOR SM-G mount with a G2L in it. The FSB mount helps move the light out further for better, more comfortable thumb activation and also helps the bezel to clear the FSB for a better beam. It also ptuts the light in a nice 10:30-11:00 position.

My Middy wears a VLTOR SM-OCG like you have on the top rail with a G2 with Malokoff drop-in converted to 9v. This gives me better throw than the G2L, good battery life, and the extra length form the 9v conversion helps me push the bezel of this light out past the FSB too. It is also tucked up nice against the rail in my prefered 10:30-11:00 position.

-RD62

markm
03-10-10, 18:41
My SBR I use a Midwest Ind Tactical Light Mount (FSB mount) to provide a rail for a VLTOR SM-G mount with a G2L in it. The FSB mount helps move the light out further for better, more comfortable thumb activation and also helps the bezel to clear the FSB for a better beam. It also ptuts the light in a nice 10:30-11:00 position.

My Middy wears a VLTOR SM-OCG like you have on the top rail with a G2 with Malokoff drop-in converted to 9v. This gives me better throw than the G2L, good battery life, and the extra length form the 9v conversion helps me push the bezel of this light out past the FSB too. It is also tucked up nice against the rail in my prefered 10:30-11:00 position.

-RD62

Well post some pics! :p

RD62
03-10-10, 22:29
I'll have to see what I can do!

:D

-RD62

Thomas M-4
03-10-10, 22:51
I run mine very close to the way you do MarkM.
Surefire 6p led with the vltor off set mount on the top rail but I have it set on the right side. I use the flat part of the mount to index/thumb-rest for my left hand to activate the light I just use my thumb to push the momentary button.

The LED battery life is crazy long compared to my MX3.

lovesAK
03-11-10, 17:17
militarymoron
why not save the money and stick with one light?

I would always like to have a backup. I follow the two is one and one is none idealology.
Absolutely LOVE your site BTW :D

RD62

Yeah I was kind of hoping I wouldn't have to resort to that. I was kicking around the idea of buying one mount and attaching another directly to the first mount somehow, or making a dual pvc mount, but that's really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

markm, Thanks for the help, but I would really like them to be on the same side. Do you have any set up like that?

Thanks again for everyone who responded! Please let me know if you come up with any more suggestions, I'm at an impasse!

markm
03-11-10, 19:15
markm, Thanks for the help, but I would really like them to be on the same side. Do you have any set up like that?

All you would have to do is move the mounts accordingly. You could just as easily configure them in a high/low on one side as I did left/right on the top.

The rail on my dual light pic above is an MI rail. All the rails are the same distance from the center of the bore.... so picture the rail rotated 90 degrees and that's what you'd get.

JTrusty
03-11-10, 23:24
Thanks again for everyone who responded! Please let me know if you come up with any more suggestions, I'm at an impasse!

Welcome to the mouseketeers. :D

http://www.gearsector.com/img/misc/forum/gsr/gs-3100d/00.jpg

http://www.gearsector.com/img/misc/forum/gsr/gs-3100d/01.jpg

Seriously though, I have a specific need for a dual ring mount which is why I am having several samples of our mount pictured above cut.
I can't honestly say if I plan to put it into full production, but you are more than welcome to one of the sample units to play with when they
arrive. Just shoot me an IM with your contact and shipping information.

For the record, you can mount the dual ring base on the top rail for a left / right setup or you can mount it on either the 3 or 9 o'clock rails
for a high / low setup.

:)

M4Guru
03-11-10, 23:41
Do you run two optics?

Do you run two slings?

Do you run BU-BUIS?

Why not just sling another rifle on your back all set up. And one of those left and right side shoulder holsters for a back up to the back up for your back up weapon.

Kind of pokes holes in the two is one, one is none theory.:D

If you need a mount for a Surefire laser or an IR illuminator then the dual ring mount is a good way to do it. As mentioned by JTrusty, it's purpose built. I do not understand the two-light theory. The chances of a modern quality LED light going down if you change the batteries when they need changing is so low I wouldn't take up the space or add the weight to put another on my gun. Since your profile isn't filled out I don't know if you are hunting hogs, defending the castle, using it as a patrol rifle, or shooting in comps but at any rate I can't see where two lights is better than one light on the same gun.

RD62
03-12-10, 07:18

Seriously though, I have a specific need for a dual ring mount which is why I am having several samples of our mount pictured above cut.
I can't honestly say if I plan to put it into full production, but you are more than welcome to one of the sample units to play with when they

For the record, you can mount the dual ring base on the top rail for a left / right setup or you can mount it on either the 3 or 9 o'clock rails
for a high / low setup.

Well there ya go. You won't get a much better offer than that.

-RD62

sonrider657
03-12-10, 09:15
The need for dual lights is eliminated if you run a quality LED light.

LonghunterCO
03-12-10, 11:53
My second light in my pocket or on my belt. Just say'n

markm
03-12-10, 17:01

I disagree. You improve your illumination reliability, but you're still dealing with batteries and switches which can fail you.

I mean... I've gone to a single LED for sure, but I'm not against going dual lights again.

markm
03-12-10, 17:03
Just shoot me an IM with your contact and shipping information.

Could I get in on that offer? I'll return the part at my cost after trying it. (IM sent)

RAM Engineer
03-12-10, 19:05
If one is none and two is one, then six must be five and therefore better.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g124/ClarenceLadd/ARMS_ROF.jpg

markm
03-13-10, 08:01
All that needs is a motor to spin it! :cool:

Treehopr
03-13-10, 08:06

for a high / low setup.

I would definitely be interested in something like that- PM sent!

lovesAK
03-13-10, 22:38
Got quite a chuckle out of some of the posts :D

I have my AK set up as more of a home defense SHTF type of rifle, and while I can completely understand the standpoint of those arguing for a single, well maintained flashlight mount, sometimes, shit just happens, and its always a good idea to a have a backup, especially when the worst case scenario is death. I can appreciate the stand point of those that want to run a set-up like this, but it's just not my preference. That doesn't mean that I am planning on running the lights into the ground at all.

LonghunterCO:
My second light in my pocket or on my belt. Just say'n

You better believe I carry a light in my pocket at all times!

sonrider657:

Even the best of the best is prone to failure, and as such, I feel it would be a good idea to have a back-up. +1 to markm! Thanks!

RAMEngineer:

Kudos! However, I think at a certain point (THIS point), the law of diminishing takes effect...:p

M4Guru:
Do you run two optics?

Do you run two slings?

Do you run BU-BUIS?

Why not just sling another rifle on your back all set up. And one of those left and right side shoulder holsters for a back up to the back up for your back up weapon.

Kind of pokes holes in the two is one, one is none theory

While I do not run two optics per se, I am planning on a purchasing a Larue IronDot (If they ever start making the things again!) which would be co-witnessed with the irons. As far as the sling goes, that's what paracord is for ;). Short of working as a sniper team, two primary weapons per person would be impractical, but that's the beauty of sidearms!

All joking aside, I understand your point, but I would like to minimize the appearance of failure where I can can while still staying within my budget.

I am, however, extremely intersted in Jtrusty's mount. And yes, I may get flamed for asking, but how on Earth do you send a PM!!??? :confused: (Not very active in forums)

JTrusty
03-13-10, 22:40
I am, however, extremely intersted in Jtrusty's mount. And yes, I may get flamed for asking, but how on Earth do you send a PM!!?

I'll just send you one and you can reply to it. ;)

RD62
03-14-10, 14:47
While I think the Gear Sector mounts look great, I wonder if weight wise you might not be better off with something like 2 G2L's and a single VLTOR Scout Mount?

This would allow the use of one light and mount at a time keeping the weight on the rifle to a minimum and still allow for a relatively quick and tools less means to replace a downed light with another. However, for home defense I'd probably just flip on the over head light.

I can't argue with redundancy. As has been mentioned the BUIS are in fact for use if the optic fails. Pistols supplement a downed rifle as do reloads, etc. But I have become quite conscious of weight in the last couple of years as well as simplicity of both design and operation. And I think for me two mounted lights is too much. If mine goes down I'll use the handheld, but to each their own.

Good luck, and I think the Gear Sector mount looks like a perfect fit for what you want to do.

-RD62

JTrusty
03-14-10, 15:08
While I think the Gear Sector mounts look great, I wonder if weight wise you might not be better off with something like 2 G2L's and a single VLTOR Scout Mount?

I will reiterate, I do not run dual lights on my personal guns. Light redundancy is handled via belt
and rig mounted backups. I also run an X300 on my secondary. Our dual ring mount is not a production
item at this time nor do I see it becoming a production item down the road. I have a specific need for
a dual ring mount that mimics placement of our single ring mounts on our demo guns. That is all.

lovesAK
03-14-10, 15:12
RD62:
While I think the Gear Sector mounts look great
It certainly does, and this is actually the route I plan on taking. I PM'd my shipping and contact info to JTrusty

I wonder if weight wise you might not be better off with something like 2 G2L's and a single VLTOR Scout Mount?

I am not overly concerned with the weight issue. Obviously the less weight, the better, but it's just not a HUGE deal to me.

However, for home defense I'd probably just flip on the over head light.

+1 :D. But I feel that moving your thumb an inch to activate another light on a weapons platform would be WAY faster than searching for a switch, especially in the dark, even IF you know exactly where that switch is; and would still be faster than digging a light out of one's pocket.

Thanks to all for the help in this matter!

Harv
03-14-10, 19:50
Yea, you can take somethings just a bit to far....With LED lamps and Shock isolated bezels, and having thousands of rds down the tube on my guns, I have never seen the need to have two lights.

RD62
03-14-10, 21:35
I will reiterate, I do not run dual lights on my personal guns. Light redundancy is handled via belt
and rig mounted backups. I also run an X300 on my secondary. Our dual ring mount is not a production
item at this time nor do I see it becoming a production item down the road. I have a specific need for
a dual ring mount that mimics placement of our single ring mounts on our demo guns. That is all.

Didn't mean to imply something negative.

I see the mount as a great way to mount say seperate Surefire Lights and Lasers.

I also like the low profile aspects of your designs, and see how that aspect would tend to eliminate most toolless means of attachment.

Out of curiosity would you mind sharing what your intended usage was for this design?

Thanks!

-RD62

RD62
03-14-10, 21:39
RD62:

However, for home defense I'd probably just flip on the over head light.

+1 :D. But I feel that moving your thumb an inch to activate another light on a weapons platform would be WAY faster than searching for a switch, especially in the dark, even IF you know exactly where that switch is; and would still be faster than digging a light out of one's pocket.

Thanks to all for the help in this matter!

I was thinking more along the lines of fine versus gross motor actions and muscle memory causing issues with light activation if the switch was suddenly in a different location that I normally use it in.

I'm thinking particulary of searching a house and the possiblity of having to open closed doors (the practicality of one man clearing a house can be debated somewhere else) meaning my non-dominate hand would be leaving the front of the rifle and therefore the switch area. If I have had to utilize a second rail mounted light in a different orientation, I feel that for ME the tendency to regrip the rifle in my normal grip would be great, and may therefore cause much fumbling back and forth, especially under stress with a racing mind and tunnel vision.

But maybe I am just over thinking the simple placement of a weapon light.

:D

-RD62

JTrusty
03-14-10, 21:57
Out of curiosity would you mind sharing what your intended usage was for this design?

Not at all.

Our demo guns are setup to showcase our entire line of low profile components.
They demonstrate how all the components were designed to work together to
achieve a specific goal. We have set these guns up to be 100% ambidextrous.
The only hitch is the light mount.

I am sure you have seen our single ring mounts (http://www.gearsector.com/browse/category/mounts/flashlight-mounts/). They are designed with a dual
offset. One that places the light between two perpendicular rails and the other
that throws the light forward an additional .5" longitudinally. To gain this additional
.5" throw our ring is only half the width of the base. This means that the offset will
be in the wrong direction when mounted on the opposite rail. This throws a monkey
wrench into our demo guns.

The solution is our dual ring mount. Both rings on the dual ring mount will place
the lights in the exact same location as if single ring mounts were mounted on the
weapon.

With this final piece in place, I will be able to hand the demo unit to anyone, regardless
if they are a right or left handed shooter and they will be able to manipulate the
weapon exactly the same.

Hopefully that clarifies our specific need. :)

kenpstok151
03-14-10, 22:04

that's pushing it

parapyropig
05-25-10, 21:55
I run two high-power (read: 200+ Lm) LED lights on my duty AR-15.

I used to run a single SF M4, but I got tired of the weight & size. I also got a taste of how it would be to have that single light go out when I needed most - thankfully, it was during SWAT training.

The two lights have the same output when used together, longer runtime, and they are smaller & lighter than the M4.

Additionally, there's a built-in layer of redundancy I didn't have before with a single light.

I can't see in the dark. Neither can anyone else I know. I'm sure you'll agree, it's hard to fingerfrak both a gun & light under stress.

I teach both low light & rifle courses for my department, and I preach having multiple lights; at least one on your belt, and at least one on your weapon(s). I carry a duty light, and a small Fenix in the bellyband I wear over my vest.

- I don't roll with less than two lights on my rifles. I like having a reserve that's immediately available.

It may be a nonsequitor, but, come to think about it, I don't know of any folks who'd jump out of a perfectly good airplane with just one 'chute...

Robb Jensen
05-25-10, 22:03
2 is 1, 1 is none.

Lights (& batteries) and ammo goes fast.

Personally I don't run two lights, but this whole two light thing was visited about 3-4yrs ago when some asked SimplyDynamic (Travis Haley) why he ran two lights (he had a Surefire M900 and a M951 mounted at the same time). Basically he said when you're kicking several hooch doors down in all day (Iraq) shit breaks, bulbs burn out, batteries go down etc. Unlike maybe a SWAT officer who kicks 1 door down a day.
Now with a lot of long life LED bulbs etc this is probably a lot less of a problem.

Failure2Stop
05-26-10, 05:25
I personally recommend that the shooter learn how to use a handheld light in conjunction with the long-gun should the mounted light go tits-up.

Just a thought.

FishingFool
05-26-10, 10:23
Deleted

GreyOps
05-26-10, 10:57
I have a couple of JTrusty's single ring mounts and am impressed so far. I would definitely be interested in picking up one of the dual mounts. I'm currently running one of the Larue's on one of my guns, tends to stand off from the rails a little much for my tastes.

JTrusty
05-26-10, 20:53
Is it possible for a limited production run on those dual mounts in the near future?

Yes and no. Since I don't plan to make these production items, quantity is going to be lower and cost is going to be higher. Furthermore, I don't want to make multiple configurations of this mount either. With so many ring sizes and combinations thereof, it would turn into a logistical nightmare.

That said, I should have a small run of dual G2 mounts in the near future.

Robb Jensen
05-26-10, 21:31
I need to make an order of GEAR Sector light mounts along with the other stuff we sale of theirs, always great stuff.

brickbd
05-26-10, 21:31

THERES GOT TO BE A TIME MACHINE IN THERE SOMEWHERE!

one
05-27-10, 01:31
I don't think a dual light set up like what's been pictured here is that outlandish of an idea for those of us running (in my case) a Surefire M1 IR light in addition to a white light.

I don't run the M1 24/7 on the gun like I do a white light, but when I need it I need it.

AnimalMother556
06-08-10, 18:17
Not at all.

Our demo guns are setup to showcase our entire line of low profile components.
They demonstrate how all the components were designed to work together to
achieve a specific goal. We have set these guns up to be 100% ambidextrous.
The only hitch is the light mount.

I am sure you have seen our single ring mounts (http://www.gearsector.com/browse/category/mounts/flashlight-mounts/). They are designed with a dual
offset. One that places the light between two perpendicular rails and the other
that throws the light forward an additional .5" longitudinally. To gain this additional
.5" throw our ring is only half the width of the base. This means that the offset will
be in the wrong direction when mounted on the opposite rail. This throws a monkey
wrench into our demo guns.

The solution is our dual ring mount. Both rings on the dual ring mount will place
the lights in the exact same location as if single ring mounts were mounted on the
weapon.

With this final piece in place, I will be able to hand the demo unit to anyone, regardless
if they are a right or left handed shooter and they will be able to manipulate the
weapon exactly the same.

Hopefully that clarifies our specific need. :)

So, where does one go to check out these demos?

JTrusty
06-08-10, 19:26
So, where does one go to check out these demos?

Are you in NW Indiana? If so, give me a ring and I will break out the demos for you. ;)

Caeser25
06-14-10, 20:52
I don't think a dual light set up like what's been pictured here is that outlandish of an idea for those of us running (in my case) a Surefire M1 IR light in addition to a white light.

I don't run the M1 24/7 on the gun like I do a white light, but when I need it I need it.

exactly

markm
06-15-10, 19:42
I'm going to try a gear sector mount next. My Vltor thumb screw offset light mount lets the light slip forward under recoil.

Hashmark
06-16-10, 17:30
I used to run the Larue dual mount but I never really liked how much it stuck out from my rail. I like my set-up to be as low profile as possible to avoid getting snagged on my kit and other crap. I don't run two lights, I run a white light-M1 for operations. The set-up I'm running now is a E2DL on a Vltor scout in the 3 position and the Gear sector w/M1 mounted underneath putting it in the 5 position. Makes for a real low profile / slick set-up. The Gear sector is an outstanding mount. For the OP, I don't think that would be any savings in expense but if you changer your mind about having to run two lights, you have the mount already in inventory. Also the Larue dual will make you notice an increase in muzzle weight.

markm
06-16-10, 17:31
I used to run the Larue dual mount but I never really liked how much it stuck out from my rail.

Yep. I could tell that by looking at in in gun board pics. I'd hate that thing.

JTrusty
06-16-10, 17:40
I'm going to try a gear sector mount next. My Vltor thumb screw offset light mount lets the light slip forward under recoil.

You won't be disappointed. Titleist just finished shooting a heavy string of fire with the .308 and our new Scout mount and it remained rock solid. ;)

Check your PM's...

JTrusty
08-12-10, 15:06
For those that showed interest, we went ahead and did a moderate sized production run of our dual G2 offset mount.

Get em here (http://www.gearsector.com/view/product/222/). ;)

markm
08-12-10, 19:56
I've been running these gear sector mounts for a few months now, and they are good.

I have the double light mount, but haven't had too much low light range time this summer yet.

CTguy55
10-08-10, 00:00
I wanted to have a mount for a flashlight and then one for
a laser......and ended up with three, but buying the grip pod
accessory that allows one on each side. This pic only shows
the right side with two lights, the other side is blank still as
Ive not had much luck finding a good American made green
laser that is working well all the time and with out flaws for
the money they are asking.

http://s968.photobucket.com/albums/ae168/CTguy1955/SureFireUSA.jpg