PDA

View Full Version : NM law OKs guns in some liquor-serving restaurants

84B20
03-10-10, 16:17
Posted at: 03/10/2010 2:54 PM
By: BARRY MASSEY, The Associated Press
SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) - People licensed for concealed handguns can take their weapons into restaurants serving beer and wine under a new state law.

Gov. Bill Richardson signed the measure on Wednesday. It takes effect in July.

Even with the change, it will remain illegal to take a concealed weapons into a bar or a restaurant with a full liquor license.

Richardson ordered the Department of Public Safety to change its licensing regulations for concealed handguns to prohibit people from drinking alcohol while carrying their concealed weapon. The governor wants the Legislature to make that part of state law.

Irish
03-10-10, 16:26
I think it's a swing in the right direction but could possibly end up causing more problems. Someone not knowing what type of license the establishment has and possibly being arrested due to making a mistake. Also, what's the difference between beer, booze & wine? Make it legal across the board, which I think it should be, or keep it illegal.

Alpha Sierra
03-10-10, 16:26
I think it's a swing in the right direction but could possibly end up causing more problems. Someone not knowing what type of license the establishment has and possibly being arrested due to making a mistake. Also, what's the difference between beer, booze & wine? Make it legal across the board, which I think it should be, or keep it illegal.

Baby steps......

We didn't get this far down the hole in one swing and we won't get out of it the same way either.

That's a damn sight better than Ohio, I'll tell you that right now.

four
03-10-10, 20:50
Baby steps......

We didn't get this far down the hole in one swing and we won't get out of it the same way either.

That's a damn sight better than Ohio, I'll tell you that right now.

I once had this argument with one of the guys that was lobbying for the CCW law in NM. There were a lot of things I didn't like about the first rendition of the bill, which ultimately became law, and I honestly thought it would be better to scrap it and start over. Steve was adamant about the slow and steady approach, and to his credit he's been part of a very successful movement in NM to make that law better and better.

Steve, where ever you are. You were right.

we're hopefully getting the same thing here in VA. assuming this gov signs it, unlike the last two times it was passed through the legislature.

it's a step in the right direction. and at this point in my life. that's about how I get anywhere.

Irish
03-13-10, 20:32
http://www.daily-times.com/ci_14661293

FARMINGTON — Locals praised a new law that allows people with licenses to carry concealed handguns into restaurants that serve beer and wine. Meanwhile, Gov. Bill Richardson wants stricter regulations to accompany the law.
Sponsored by Sen. George Munoz, D-Gallup, and signed by Richardson on Wednesday, the law takes effect in July.

Under the new law, people could carry concealed weapons into restaurants that serve only beer and wine unless an owner or manager says it isn't allowed or a sign prohibits it. The sign must be posted at each public entrance where it can be easily seen.

Carrying a firearm while under the influence of drugs and alcohol remains illegal. Nor may people bring concealed weapons into a bar or restaurant with a full liquor license.

But there's nothing specific in New Mexico law that prevents a person from drinking alcohol while carrying a concealed weapon in a restaurant that serves beer and wine, according to the governor's office.

"My decision to sign this bill came after much contemplation and thought. I heard strong opinions from both those for and against the bill," Richardson said in a prepared statement. "As the governor of a Western state, I know well the deep feelings that come with such a measure, but I also understand those feelings and beliefs must be tempered by the enactment of certain safeguards."

A spokeswoman explained that Richardson believes people carrying weapons in those restaurants should not drink any amount of alcohol. Richardson is urging the Legislature to adopt such a law.

Republican lawmakers representing San Juan County in the House and Senate voted to approve the measure lifting the ban on concealed-carry.

"The whole premise behind the concealed-carry is to have somebody armed other than criminals," House Minority Leader Tom Taylor, R-Farmington, said.

People who have licenses to carry concealed weapons are trained extensively to use handguns responsibly, he said.

"Gunman can go into restaurants, start shooting up the place," he said. "If you want personal protection, you ought to be able to have it."

Farmington Police Chief Jim Runnels seemed less enthusiastic, though he said he was confident that most concealed-carry licensees would act appropriately.

"There are responsible people that have concealed-carry permits that this will not be an issue with," Runnels said. "But anytime you mix alcohol and guns, there is a potential for a tragedy."

Anyone carrying a gun while drunk, whether they are carrying the weapon in plain sight or are licensed to carry a concealed firearm, faces a ticket or arrest on a petty misdemeanor charge, local authorities said.

San Juan County Sheriff's deputies would arrest any drunken person carrying a weapon, Capt. Tim Black said. Only in rare cases would deputies issue a ticket.

"My position is that I'm fully supportive of the Second Amendment," Black said. "If people are lawfully carrying a concealed weapon and they're not violating any other laws, they should be able to carry."

"I don't think it's OK to go in with a weapon and drink alcohol," he added.

Anthony Rahn, president of Tactical Solutions Institute Inc. near Cedar Hill, which teaches concealed-carry courses, said the new law was a step forward. But even though he doesn't drink much, he believes people should be allowed to carry weapons in restaurants that serve liquor.

Even with the new law, Rahn, who is licensed to carry a concealed weapon, will have to leave his handgun in his vehicle if he went to a restaurant that served, say, whiskey.

But he also thinks no one should drink while carrying a weapon.

"There's going to be some people that are going to say, I'm only going to have one beer,' and end up having six,'" he said.

Buckaroo
03-13-10, 21:27
Even with the new law, Rahn, who is licensed to carry a concealed weapon, will have to leave his handgun in his vehicle if he went to a restaurant that served, say, whiskey.

But he also thinks no one should drink while carrying a weapon.

"There's going to be some people that are going to say, I'm only going to have one beer,' and end up having six,'" he said.

Thanks for nuthin' Mr. Rahn. :mad:

Guess he wanted the stupid quote of the day award.

Buckaroo

Alpha Sierra
03-13-10, 21:42
How come this is not an issue in the many states where no such restrictions exist?