PDA

View Full Version : Vickers/Nighthawk "Diamond finish"

mildot
03-10-10, 16:54
Well I have a Vickers/Nighthawk 1911, the pistol is top shelf in every regard. However I have a Milt sparks 55BN that I'm using for a holster.I'm starting to notice some change in the finish where the holster is contacting the frame. I was told that the Diamond finish was, " wears like a diamond". I'm not a "collector" so normal wear is fine. Does all this sound normal?

Biggy
03-10-10, 17:48
I would call "Nighthawk" and ask them.

SCULLY
03-10-10, 21:21
That sounds like normal wear.

Jason Burton
03-10-10, 22:40
That sounds like normal wear.

Ditto... holsters wear finishes, pretty much universally.

With the exception of IonBond DLC I've never seen a finish (any finish) that wasn't susceptible to holster wear. And I imagine that even DLC will show holster miles eventually.

Could it be that the wear you're seeing is leather from the inside of the holster being deposited on the pistol?

Belmont31R
03-10-10, 22:54
Ditto... holsters wear finishes, pretty much universally.

With the exception of IonBond DLC I've never seen a finish (any finish) that wasn't susceptible to holster wear. And I imagine that even DLC will show holster miles eventually.

Could it be that the wear you're seeing is leather from the inside of the holster being deposited on the pistol?

Ionbond is another name for Diamond Black. If you go to the Springer Precision website (they handle all ionbond services now IIRC) its listed as Diamond Black/Ionbond.

My Springfield Pro still showed wear. It just doesn't wear as fast as pretty much anything else out there. I imagine rubbing in a holster all day its going to show....

Jason Burton
03-10-10, 23:16
Ionbond is another name for Diamond Black. If you go to the Springer Precision website (they handle all ionbond services now IIRC) its listed as Diamond Black/Ionbond.

My Springfield Pro still showed wear. It just doesn't wear as fast as pretty much anything else out there.

Yes, IonBond is the company that applies the DLC finish, also known/referred to as Diamond Black and at one time something else as I recall. Spring Precision, as well as a few other gunsmiths around the country, act as an intermediary that sends the pistol/rifle to IonBond. I’ve done quite a few guns in the DLC finish, one of which is has been used hard and then some, and so far it has been the most resilient finish I have seen… even better than hard chrome. I'm sure it will eventually show wear and I do think that, just as with other finishes, on a long enough time-line a polished surface will likely resist wear better than a matte surface.

I imagine rubbing in a holster all day its going to show....

You bring up a good point, a proper fitting holster (of which I'm fairly certain the OP’s Sparks rig is) should not let the holstered pistol move or shift around in the holster.

Ranger325
03-11-10, 12:23
My Springfield Pro still showed wear. It just doesn't wear as fast as pretty much anything else out there. I imagine rubbing in a holster all day its going to show....

+1 My Pro show a bit of wear, but not much at all..................

milosz
03-11-10, 20:53
Are you sure it's Diamond Black and not their regular Permakote? DB was a special order option on the Vickers 1911 (as it is on most of their guns).