PDA

View Full Version : Should i shoot .223 or 5.56?

Stevieterry
03-10-10, 18:21
I just got my AR yesterday.
And someone told me it was bad to shoot 5.56 from this, or it could of been the other day around and been .223.

I've always thought they were the same bullet.

But should i be shooting .223 like the remington ones at walmart that say .223 on the box?

Or look for ones that say 5.56 NATO?

Here is my gun

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn55/stevieterry/IMG_0422.jpg

Its a Double Star 15 CAR / 16" / HBAR

Belmont31R
03-10-10, 18:22
What is the barrel marked?

Stevieterry
03-10-10, 18:29
Says DSC 5.56 NATO

I didnt even notice that.

So thats what i should shoot?

sevin8nin
03-10-10, 18:29
The barrel will be stamped for caliber. If it's stamped for 5.56 NATO shoot whichever you like.
If it's stamped for .223. Shoot .223 only.

You'll also need some kind of riser to get your red dot sight higher so you can actually see over the front post.

Stevieterry
03-10-10, 19:49
You'll also need some kind of riser to get your red dot sight higher so you can actually see over the front post.

Haha yea i know. I just put it on there for looks.
Im on a budget so im going to get some iron sights to do me for now.
I have to buy the .22 conversion kit first, then im going to get a scope when my birthday comes around.

TwoSqueeze
03-10-10, 20:01
The barrel will be stamped for caliber. If it's stamped for 5.56 NATO shoot whichever you like.
If it's stamped for .223. Shoot .223 only.

This is correct. Just to further educate the OP. The barrel marking refers to what the barrel's chamber is set up for. While .223 and 5.56 are the same size round, 5.56 fires at a higher pressure and therefore requires a slightly larger chamber.

-TS

Stevieterry
03-10-10, 20:03
Where can i get 5.56 bullets?
When i go to walmart all i see is the Remington .223's
At the pawnshop they have some wolf .223's but they are steel casing. but there only like 5 dollars for 20.

i shot about 200 yesterday with no jams, so i guess there fine.

Whootsinator
03-10-10, 20:11
As far as bullets go, they're both the same and are actually .224.

You can safely shoot .223 or 5.56 loaded cartridges out of your rifle.

Failure2Stop
03-10-10, 21:17
Wolf is well suited for that firearm and your application.

BWT
03-10-10, 21:46
I'd say practice with what's cheap and reliable.

The thought process being to shoot as frequently as possible.

That being said, mixing wolf and brass, without cleaning the chamber I've heard you can run into issues.

The Lacquer on the steel ammo will accumulate on the chamber, steel doesn't expand or change as much in shape when the casing is shot as brass.

The problem is, the expansion of the brass into the residual lacquer will end up in the casing getting stuck.

I'll be shooting .223 Rem Wolf once I complete my BCM AR.

ETA: That being said, I'd get 5.56mm for Self Defense, and zero your optic and BUIS to that ammo, depending on the twist, would depend on the grain bullet you get.

But then again, some people shoot 75 gr 5.56mm out of 1/9 twist barrels with no issue.

So YMMV.

JonnyVain
03-10-10, 21:46
Online is what I've found to be the best place for ammo.

This is where I get most of my ammo:

http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/ammo-for-rifles/223-rem-5-56mm-nato-/cPath/12_38

I usually get Brown Bear. It's a little higher quality than wolf.

Sort of a thread hijack, but it might be useful to you anyway... does anyone know if there is any truth to the theory that you shouldn't shoot brass after steel without cleaning? The thought is the steel doesn't seal well in the chamber and the chamber gets gunked up with carbon. Then the brass doesn't chamber right and expands more than the steel, causing whatever damage it would cause.

Edit: a little late on the steel question I guess. BTW, I've heard that they don't use the lacquer anymore. Or at least it's a different kind and doesn't melt off.

BWT
03-10-10, 21:50

http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/ammo-for-rifles/223-rem-5-56mm-nato-/cPath/12_38

Sort of a thread hijack, but it might be useful to you anyway... does anyone know if there is any truth to the theory that you shouldn't shoot brass after steel without cleaning? The thought is the steel doesn't seal well in the chamber and the chamber gets gunked up with carbon. Then the brass doesn't chamber right and expands more than the steel, causing whatever damage it would cause.

Edit: a little late on the steel question I guess. BTW, I've heard that they don't use the lacquer anymore. Or at least it's a different kind and doesn't melt off.

I wouldn't say I'm an authority on the matter by any means.

But that's what I've heard is the common consensus.

ETA: Brown Bear, the ammo you cited, is steel and lacquered, I haven't played with either, as I won't shoot steel cased though my handguns, but, let's wait and see what the hive mind thinks.

Stevieterry
03-11-10, 00:24

Wow thats cheap 1000 rounds for just 269 bucks..
On cheaper than dirt 1000 rounds is 600 sumthin bucks.

DaBears_85
03-11-10, 01:42
...someone told me it was bad to shoot 5.56 from this, or it could of been the other day around and been .223.

I said it was bad to shoot 5.56 out of rifle chambered for .223 due to the higher loads. Since yours is chambered in 5.56 it doesn't matter, you can shoot both.

Anyways, congrats on your new acquisition. Hope she brings many years of fun and enjoyment.

Happy shooting...

fdxpilot
03-11-10, 01:44
Wow thats cheap 1000 rounds for just 269 bucks..
On cheaper than dirt 1000 rounds is 600 sumthin bucks.

Look around a little. Cheaper than Dirt is usually more expensive for any given round. Try this site. It's a search engine for ammo prices.

http://www.ammoengine.com/

Look for Federal, Lake City, or Prvi Partizan 55gr FMJ. This is usually 5.56 XM193, which is brass cased mil surplus or overruns. It can be had for around $.36-$.41 per round.

The really cheap Wolf, XXX Bear, or Tula is usually Russian or other ex-eastern bloc steel case ammo. Just my opinion, but XM193 is about as cheap as I want to go for practice ammo. I pass on the cheap steel case stuff.

markdh720
03-11-10, 02:42
Look around a little. Cheaper than Dirt is usually more expensive for any given round. Try this site. It's a search engine for ammo prices.

http://www.ammoengine.com/

Look for Federal, Lake City, or Prvi Partizan 55gr FMJ. This is usually 5.56 XM193, which is brass cased mil surplus or overruns. It can be had for around $.36-$.41 per round.

The really cheap Wolf, XXX Bear, or Tula is usually Russian or other ex-eastern bloc steel case ammo. Just my opinion, but XM193 is about as cheap as I want to go for practice ammo. I pass on the cheap steel case stuff.

Oh my god! That sight it great! It makes the hunt so much easier. Ammo is real expensive in stores around my way at roughly $.60/round. You might have just saved me about 33%.

dcs12345
03-11-10, 08:53
Where can i get 5.56 bullets?
When i go to walmart all i see is the Remington .223's
At the pawnshop they have some wolf .223's but they are steel casing. but there only like 5 dollars for 20.

i shot about 200 yesterday with no jams, so i guess there fine.

For 5.56, I would suggest that you get Prvi Partizan m193
I have also heard that PMC .223 Bronze is OK ( it is a little slower).

these are some places that I like to buy from on the internet:
http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=18|830|845

http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/223-556-ammo.php

BWT
03-11-10, 10:17
www.aimsurplus.com

isn't bad.

4.59 for a box of 20 .223 Rem Wolf.

If you're a college student like me, damn near 23 cents a round isn't bad.

Plus, plenty of people shoot Wolf, I figure, hell spend money on stuff that counts, like home defense ammo, Optics, the gun it self, the cleaning equipment you use, carrrying cases...

Hell I'll spend a lot of money on basically everything, but cheap ammo means getting rounds down range, so I can live with that.

:D (I started noticing a theme there...)

Rated21R
03-11-10, 10:41
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/

I think these guys have great prices and selection. Haven't ordered yet, but will be very soon. Time to start stocking up for my class in September. :D

Icculus
03-11-10, 10:44
I'm no expert on the matter but I bet you will find a number of people on this site who would tell you that just because the barrel is marked 5.56 doesn't necessarily mean the chamber is actually cut that way and you might need to ream it to shoot 5.56. I would at least check the chamber first. I'm sure one of the armorers here can expand more on this.

Stevieterry
03-11-10, 11:40
www.aimsurplus.com

isn't bad.

4.59 for a box of 20 .223 Rem Wolf.

If you're a college student like me, damn near 23 cents a round isn't bad.

Plus, plenty of people shoot Wolf, I figure, hell spend money on stuff that counts, like home defense ammo, Optics, the gun it self, the cleaning equipment you use, carrrying cases...

Hell I'll spend a lot of money on basically everything, but cheap ammo means getting rounds down range, so I can live with that.

:D (I started noticing a theme there...)

Yea man thats the way i am.
Im 19 and just started in college, thats how i bought my gun was from the money my financial aid haha.
I dont have time to work because i attend 2 different colleges at the same time. So i always have homework. So that means i cant really afford 700 dollar scopes and 17 dollars a box for ammo.
Thats why i have that tasco scope. Was all i could afford, even though its no use now lol.

BWT
03-11-10, 12:06
Yea man thats the way i am.
Im 19 and just started in college, thats how i bought my gun was from the money my financial aid haha.
I dont have time to work because i attend 2 different colleges at the same time. So i always have homework. So that means i cant really afford 700 dollar scopes and 17 dollars a box for ammo.
Thats why i have that tasco scope. Was all i could afford, even though its no use now lol.

I'm 22, and work part time and go to school.

What I do is, I buy higher end stuff, it just takes time. I've learned to get what I want, but be very patient.

I decided on the type of AR I wanted in November, I specced out the entire thing, after doing boat loads of research throughout October/September, reading everything I could get my hands on.

I got my Complete BCM (ETA: Lower, for some reason I typed load?) with Magpul CTR (and I'm waiting on my MIAD) last Friday.

I plan on finishing the AR to a functional level with a BCM Mid Length Upper, Gun Fighter Charging hand, M16 BCG, and troy rear BUIS, in the next two months. I plan on getting the Aimpoint I want by mid/end of summer.

But, I also figure, I'll spend the extra 200-300, wait, and get what I want as far as the AR is concerned.

I also wanted my CWP and a pistol on my birthday when I turned 21 in September of last year... to get the pistol I wanted and my CWP, it ended up being June, before I could take the class, and buy the pistol.

But, it is what it is.

I'd also like to add, buy quality magazines, you can get D&H AR mags for 8.50$

http://www.44mag.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DH30B

Quality stuff, and as cheap as you can find it. ;)

I'll get some PMAGs sooner or later too.

But anyway, enough of my personal info.

Jabroni
03-11-10, 12:19
I've seen that Stevieterry has had a number of questions pertaining to his newly acquired AR. I think the thread that gotm4 wrote titled, "Now I'm an AR15 owner, now what?" would be a good resource for him to check out. It has a good write up about the main differences between 5.56 and .223. Check out the section titled "About the Caliber"

You can find the thread at this link.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=24397

Personally, I feel that shooting a quality .223 round is good enough, and economical, for most target application. 5.56 has higher gas pressure, which in turn can be harder on your barrel. It really depends on application and how much you are going to shoot per year.

Stevieterry , don't be afraid to surf around this website and do some searching. This is one of the best resources on the net for learning about your new evil black rifle. Good shooting and BE SAFE!:D

P.S. rob_s also has and EXCELLENT thread titled,"Comparison Chart of Major AR Brands" that talks about the 5.56.
The following is a excerpt from his write up:

"5.56 Chamber
There is a common misconception that .223 and 5.56 are the same thing. They are not. 5.56 is often loaded to a higher pressure, among other things, which is the most critical issue. There are other dimensional differences pertaining to throat, bullet seat, etc. but what it comes down to in practical terms is that you can shoot .223 in a 5.56 chamber but the reverse is not a good idea. Generally speaking the barrel will be marked with one or the other but unfortunately those markings cannot always be trusted. If you think you may ever shoot 5.56 ammunition it is a good idea to get a 5.56 chamber from a maker that can be trusted.
More information about chamber dimensions can be found here http://www.ammo-oracle.com/body.htm"