PDA

View Full Version : Winchester SX2 Practical experience?

Bison
04-18-07, 14:14
Does anyone have any experience with the Winchester SX2 Practical Mk 1 shotgun? I am particularly interested in its performance as a 3-gun shotgun. I think FNH makes an identical model called the SLP Mark 1. Any comments regarding experience with it would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

subzero
04-18-07, 20:27
My first time at a USPSA match, a nice fellow let me use his SX2 Practical with rifle sights. He had it rigged up with roughly a dozen shells placed all over the gun in various 3 gun style holders, plus the 9 or 10 in the tube. It was big and heavy, though it became much less heavy as I reloaded off of the readily available shells. It shot like a house on fire, as the fiber front sight was easy to pick up and the weight helped manage the recoil. I wouldn't want to have to carry it for any length of time, but a good sling will work wonders in that area.

I liked it enough from that one experience that I've had an eye open for one ever since. If someone offered me a trade today for my Benelli M1 Super 90 with ghost rings, I'd do it. And I love that Benelli.

Cameron
04-18-07, 23:50
I just picked one up 2 days ago from the local Gander Mountain for $759 NIB. The Winchester SX2 are still being produced under the Winchester name as they are made in Belgium by FN. There have been many rave reviews about them by 3 gunners. 12 rounds in 1.442 seconds or even 5 rounds in 0.49 of a second, I believe they are proclaimed by Winchester to be the fastest semi-auto shotguns in the world.

Tactical Iron Class
Winchester SX2 Practical MKII / Bushmaster M4 Type / Glock 19
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m198/2007cam/3%20gun/3Gun02.jpg

Heavy Metal
Winchester 1300 Defender / DSA SA58 / Colt Government
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m198/2007cam/3%20gun/HeMan02.jpg

I will be shooting it for the first time this weekend, if it runs as reliably as it's Winchester Defender cousin above it will be great.

Cameron

rhino
04-19-07, 03:10
I have several buddies who shoot them in 3-gun regularly and I have shot a few of theirs. Felt recoil is about like a Rem 1100 and it cycles faster than a Benelli M1S90 (according to the article in Front Sight a few years ago, the only test I've seen where actual numbers were generated).

One of the guns I've seen was finicky when it was new, but once some of the spring issues were sorted out, it's been 100% like the others.

If I were buying a new shotgun, the Winchester SX2 Practical Mk I would be my first, second, and third choices. Fourth choice would be the Mk II.

Barry in IN
04-19-07, 06:53
Rhino is here! I didn't know that.
Hey, Rhino!

That article he is referring to is online (or was about a year ago) at www.multigun.com and is titled "Speed Shotgun.

Barry McCown

Bison
04-19-07, 09:39
Thanks, all, for the responses.

One more question: What is the difference between the Win. SX2 Practical Mk 1 and the Mk 2? The Winchester site only lists the Mk1. Thanks in advance.

rhino
04-19-07, 11:04
Rhino is here! I didn't know that.
Hey, Rhino!

That article he is referring to is online (or was about a year ago) at www.multigun.com and is titled "Speed Shotgun.

Hey, Barry! Good to see you. Thank you for providing the link to the article in question.

Cameron
04-19-07, 13:53
Winchester SX2 Practical MKI
Ramped front Sight
Flip up Rear rifle type sight
http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/catalog/images/511016l.jpg

Winchester SX2 Practical MKII
Elevated front sight
Removable Rear Ghost ring sight
http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/catalog/images/511015l.jpg

It appears that Winchester, actually FN in Belgium, is producing the MKI for 2007 but not the MKII as that is what shows in Winchester's catalog and website.

I prefer the MKII as it comes with a nice LPA Italian made rear ghost ring, which is consistent with the rear sights on the M4 or FAL. Both have the picatinny rail.

Cameron

Bison
04-20-07, 10:24
Thanks. That is the only difference I could figure as well. I think I'd like the Mk 1 better so I could use it as a front bead only type sight with the option of flipping it up for slugs.

rhino
04-20-07, 19:21
Thanks. That is the only difference I could figure as well. I think I'd like the Mk 1 better so I could use it as a front bead only type sight with the option of flipping it up for slugs.

That's exactly my thinking too. If you're shooting shot, the ghost ring and taller front sight are not going to allow you to take advantage of the inherent nature of shooting a shotgun (i.e. using your eye as the rear sight, having a gun that hits where you're looking when you have a good cheek weld, etc.). It's too slow otherwise.

Cameron
04-20-07, 19:40
Luckily the rear sight is removable and then you can use the front sight and the picatinny rail as you would use a bead on any other SG...

Trim2L
07-19-07, 19:07
I've been looking for an FN SLP for a month or two because it looks like FN has taking the SX2 Practical line. But, since they shortened the SLP MK2 to 18" and a number of reported issues surrounding slugs and not enough elevation I decided to get a MK1.

The tipping point was running into an SX2 MK1 close out for $700. The only difference I can find is the SX2 is 2 3/4" and the SLP is 3". No big deal since I don't shoot 3".

rhino
07-19-07, 20:06
For 3-gun, practical shotgun, and defense/combat use, 3 inch shells have nothing to offer beyond increasing felt recoil and perhaps testing the ejection ability of the gun with the extra quarter inch of length.

I know a lot of hunters swear by them, but it seems to me that if you can't do it with a 2-3/4 inch shell, you need to get closer. :D

Bulldog1967
07-19-07, 20:13
Does anyone make a light for these for the forend?

Trim2L
07-22-07, 21:06
Unexpectedly I ended up shooting three cases of clays today with the SX2. I anticipated shooting some heavy loads (which I forgot at home) so I installed the heavy piston but only used regular trap/bird loads. The gun functioned flawlessly and turned into the session whore getting passed around to everyone present. :D

rhino
07-22-07, 23:40
Unexpectedly I ended up shooting three cases of clays today with the SX2. I anticipated shooting some heavy loads (which I forgot at home) so I installed the heavy piston but only used regular trap/bird loads. The gun functioned flawlessly and turned into the session whore getting passed around to everyone present. :D

I want one even more now! :D

Trim2L
08-12-07, 19:30
update:

I shot a 10 stage round of sporting clays last weekend with the SX2. The competitors were shooting worked over over/unders, Berettas, and Brownings. This was only the second time I've ever shot sporting clays (and this gun) and did better than the last time (scoring several 9/10 stages). The SX2 isn't really geared towards this event but I didn't feel like it held me back equipment wise.

The best part was old men were staring and telling each other I should not be allowed to shoot with it. Wait until they see me hunt ducks and geese with it next month (with home made mag plug). :D

Alpha Sierra
08-12-07, 22:19
The best part was old men were staring and telling each other I should not be allowed to shoot with it.

Don't you love Fudds? :rolleyes:

Trim2L
09-02-07, 13:09
I went dove hunting yesterday (Opening day) with the fuds. The SX2 with Rifle sights doesn't work very well up close, but with #4 1 1/4 high brass I was absolutely kicking everyone's ass hitting longer distance birds. Of the 5 guys out there I was the only one who was shooting anything shorter than 28". I was asked several times not to shoot so far out because I was taking other guy's shots (the same bastards who took my close shots), it was all good though. I caught a ton of good natured shit from the fuds.

The heavy loads were loud enough to require ear plugs. The loads made everyone miserable but made me happy. :D

The place we went to was close to a water reclamation sight and massive flocks of dove flew in at dusk. In 30 minutes of shooting we hit our bag limit of 50. We're going back to another site for more tonight.

Dinner tomorrow night (http://www.cookwildgame.com/samples/sample2.htm)

rhino
06-21-08, 02:45
As soon as I get some time to hit the range and shoot, I'm going to get a lot more experience behind the trigger of a Win SX2 Practical. Well, I may have to get a loan to buy some ammo, but that's a different story. :D

As I posted in another topic, I'm looking for options for a shorter stock. I'd prefer to do a replacment and not worry over shortening the existing stock if possible.

I think the FN guns actually have a stock that is one inch shorter (13 inch LOP), but that won't do me much good. I'd prefer to get down to at least 12 in. LOP, maybe even a little shorter. But I'd gladly settle for something 12.5 in. or less if that is all that is available.

Robb Jensen
06-21-08, 07:15
As soon as I get some time to hit the range and shoot, I'm going to get a lot more experience behind the trigger of a Win SX2 Practical. Well, I may have to get a loan to buy some ammo, but that's a different story. :D

As I posted in another topic, I'm looking for options for a shorter stock. I'd prefer to do a replacment and not worry over shortening the existing stock if possible.

I think the FN guns actually have a stock that is one inch shorter (13 inch LOP), but that won't do me much good. I'd prefer to get down to at least 12 in. LOP, maybe even a little shorter. But I'd gladly settle for something 12.5 in. or less if that is all that is available.

I just got mine (FN SLP Mk1). If it's possible I may shorten my own stock, it's too long for me too. I installed a 3gungear 8-shot side saddle and two shot forearm saddle. Rhino if yours doesn't like light loads get the Browning Gold Sporting Clays piston, it's runs on most anything (I think it's made for 1-1/8oz or less loads).
My gun is a 3" magnum and came with both a light and heavy piston. Light is marked 1.5oz or lighter and heavy 1.5oz and heavier. My buddies SX2 2-3/4" only gun came with both and his is marked 1.25oz and lighter on the light one and 1.25oz or heavier on the heavy one. I stripped mine down and polished up all the areas I'm seeing internal finish wear internally with Flitz to smooth it up. I'm probably going to polish up the lifter as well, for me this gun is a lot easier to reload than a Remington or Benelli (and no Benelli thumb!).

I'm using two extended Briley chokes, a light modified and an improved cylinder.

I've heard of some people needing to replace the shell stop/bolt release spring with a heavier one (adds about three pounds more pressure). I'm not going to replace mine unless it gives me problems.

These are available from Dave Neths dad Tom:

208-365-4272.

the address is

ESE
107 S. Commercial
Emmett ID 83617

Some guys with SX2s are also replacing their recoil springs with ones from a 3.5" Browning Gold. Again, I'm not replacing mine unless it gives me problems. Like the Benelli the Gold/SX2/SLP likes oil too!

rhino
06-21-08, 12:11
Thanks for the response!

It's a well used gun and I acquired it from someone I trust. He's only used the "light" piston, even with some stout #field loads and slugs without issue. The gun works with pretty much everything.

Q: if I shoot heavier loads (I usually shoot #4 field loads, don't know the weight), will I risk damaging the gun if I continue to use the light gas piston? Or is it just a matter of more felt recoil than if I used the heavy piston?

As far as modifications go, other than shortening the stock, I'm not going to change anything until I've put a few hundred rounds through it. If I have any problems (which I do not expect), I'll revisit.

ErnieB
06-27-08, 23:16
After doing some reading here and on other sites I decided I was going to purchase an SX2. This morning, a good friend tells me he found me a shotgun and to pick him up and he'll take me to it. We ended up at a local pawn shop. Yes I was skeptical a first. However, my buddy knew the owner and comes out of the back room of the shop with a new unfired FN SLP Mark 1 with all the factory accessories in the box. I walked out the door (very quickly before the owner changed his mind) with it for $463.00. We immediately went to the range and tried a variety of ammo and so far I'm very impressed. Can't wait to hit the range tomorrow and run some drills on the timer.

hoser
12-06-08, 10:26
Will the SX2 MkI with 3" chambers function well with 2-3/4" low recoil tactical 00 loads? Or am I better staying with a guns with 2-3/4" chambers (I never shoot 3")? :confused:

ErnieB
12-06-08, 10:47
Hoser,

The short answer.... yes.

I have tried a variety of light loads and it is actually impressive what the gun will run. I am a huge fan of these shotguns just for that reason.