PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Bearcat or Smith 63

Combat_Diver
03-11-10, 05:32
All,

I haven't handled either of the new offerings had have owned several NMSS Sixes and a M651 4". But this isn't for me, its a inhertence for my 2yo grandson to on his road to become a handgunner and a free and independent young man. His father will get him a youth rifle and teach him the proper fundementals as I've taught him and as he learned as a Army sniper. Granted he is too young now but when he is capable. What would be your choice for a youngster for teaching?

Thanks,
CD

ThirdWatcher
03-11-10, 05:42
This is kinda ironic... when my Warrior Princesses graduated to .22LR handguns to complement their .22LR singleshot rifles, the older one wanted a S&W M-63 and the younger a Ruger Bearcat. IMHO, you cannot go wrong with either choice. :)

John_Wayne777
03-11-10, 07:31
Speaking personally, I would go with the Smith. It's the more versatile of the two. The SA trigger can be used when hand strength is an issue, and the DA trigger can be used to teach excellent trigger control. It also handles like a "real" revolver so there's built in instruction with that aspect of it.

JHC
03-11-10, 16:39
+1 for what he said about the S&W kit gun. I would love to pick up the 5" with adj sights. When you can really handle DA revolver shooting, all other trigger actions will fall neatly in line; for the most part. ;)

TOrrock
03-11-10, 19:13
I'd definitely go with the S&W Kit gun, one major reason is safety. You can easily tell if the cylinder is loaded or not simply by swinging it out, and while the Bearcat is a fine little revolver, the single action and small size can make it harder to learn on I think.

Another advantage to the S&W is that you can change out the grips to fit just about any hand so as your new shooter grows and their hands become larger, they can fit different styles of grips to the piece. And when they pass it on to their kids, they can put the smaller grips back on it.

As others have said, either is a great little revolver, but I'd definitely be on the hunt for a pre lock S&W J frame Kit Gun.

Avenger29
03-11-10, 19:34
The Smith.

I've got an old Mod 34-1, blued version, 4" barrel. LOVE IT.

I like revolvers, but I only like SA/DA revolvers. I hate the conventional SA style. I'm an impatient son of a bitch and I like to be reloaded and on my merry way as fast as possible.

Combat_Diver
03-11-10, 23:41
Thanks for the imput guys, won't be picking this up anytime soon but might order it before I get home this summer. Grandson just turned two last week so I got some time before he learns to shoot.:D Like the reasoning behind the Smith, thanks.

CD