PDA

View Full Version : Running an HK91 at speed

QuietShootr
04-18-07, 18:16
Has anyone developed 91-specific techniques for weapon manipulation, similar to Stock's AUG drills?

TOrrock
04-18-07, 21:16
I think one of the best things you can do, at least from an alteration side, is to install one of the paddle mag releases on the market, which will make mag changes a whole lot easier.

As far as specific drills or manipulations, nothing I can really type out...I sold my 91's years ago.

I'd imagine that most of the techniques used for MP5's could be readily adapted to it's big brother.

ygbsm
04-19-07, 08:10
As far as flicking off the safety, a lot of practice. Also, try canting the gun a little

Neville
04-20-07, 21:55
Stock's AUG drills?

Sorry to get off topic, but are they published anywhere?

Harv
04-21-07, 11:06
I think the better question is ...Why run a HK-91 At all??
;)

Submariner
04-23-07, 12:42
I think the better question is ...Why run a HK-91 At all??
;)

Sell it to an HK aficionado and buy a Barrett.:cool:

nyeti
04-24-07, 02:42
I ran an HK91 for many years in 3 gun and combat rifle competition. I also used the same gun on a couple of SWAT operations and it went to L.A. during the riots (un official deployment;) ).

The advice on the paddle is right on the money. It greatly speeds reloads. ALWAYS lock the bolt to the rear when doing anything (reloads, immediate action), and slap it hard on the release. I had a PSG1 safety in mine (HUGE improvement). The fixed stock is better for shooting. The A3 is good for confined area carry, but it sucks to shoot with. A factory brass deflector is a good idea. I also ran a G41 handguard on mine. I also had my barrel cut back to almost the front sight. Mine was the first HK 91K ever done by RDTS (Red Dog Target Supply) in Arizona, and it worked well.

I recently traded this gun off to a pal, but I have to say that it was by far the most reliable semi automatic rifle I ever owned. It had some ergonomic issues that you just have to work through (like the AUG, which I also love), but the are VERY reliable.

Germanfritze
11-19-07, 04:40
Because itīs not an outdate weapon and it use a good old hard hitting cartridge!
The Norge soldiers still carries them in A-stan,
just simply modified with an Aimpoint!
Like that old bitch with the A3-stock and wide front stock!
Firepower at it best!
Only the lack of 30rounders hit me hard!
The H&K techniques run all with that H&K 3-point sling,
so itīs a must have for the MP5/G3-shooter!

Germanfritze
11-21-07, 15:05
The Norge had try the G36 and now the H&K416, for what they opt for their Special Forces,
not for the normal troops, they still use the big "G"!!!

Interesting view what you wrote with the bigger safety,
will try that tomorrow with a pal of mine who is gunsmith.
Can you set in a pic of that modification???

As a trigger it gave no alternative to the PSG1 trigger group
(super but very expensive!)!!!

Thanks a lot,
Fritze

armakraut
11-25-07, 03:39
They're clunky and a lot of people say the recoil is severe compared to the other "battle rifles".

Like templar and the others mentioned...

-Paddle Release
-Lock the bolt back before reloading

I'd add that you'd probably be better off switching to the first aperture sight setting (200m, I think). The initial V notch sucks something fierce.

My first firearms instructor had two guys run some HK91's in his carbine class a number of years ago, basically said the rifles were slow to reload, fatigued the shooters, but never quit.

G3's can take a lot of abuse and they're very reliable. You can't abuse them like an AK, but it takes a lot to make them stop. What I ended up doing with my PTR-91 was installing a paddle release, durable furniture, hensoldt 4x scope, cheek rest and padded sling. Called it good after that.

HK33's are nice rifles. Neither overly heavy, or needing great strength to operate. My vector V93 has been a class act all the way.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b101/aurang/vectorv933.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b101/aurang/PTR91Z5.jpg

(and you AR-10 suckers thought you were the only ones that had a rifle that did that neat trick!) ;)