PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a fixed stock

Jakal
03-11-10, 15:52
anybody have any suggestions?

This is for a 5.56 S&W MP15. I don't like the sideway shift the CAR has. This is not for LE or Military, strictly bench rest and varmit shooting. Though I do have a military background.

I prefer staying away from an A1/A2 type of stock. Not that I mind them, have one on order for a .458 Socom.

I understand that VLTOR is coming out with an IMOD stock. I also like the ACE skeleton stock. The UBR and PRS by Magpul are also interesting. The fixed RRA operator stock may work too.

These are the kind of stocks I am looking at and would appreciate any suggestions.

***cross posted to AR15.com also***

JonnyVain
03-11-10, 15:59
What length are you looking at? The UBR and IMOD aren't fixed. The ACE would suit you fine for what you want it for. But really, I think an A1 or A2 is a better choice. The buttplate of the ACE is straight, not at an angle like the A1/2. I feel like the bottom digs into my chest.

You could look into the Magpul CTR. It has a compression lock to prevent the shifting. Someone else would need to verify if it prevents side to side shifting.

danpass
03-11-10, 16:18
I have my eye on that RRA fixed operator 'A2' as well :)

JonnyVain
03-11-10, 16:33
I have my eye on that RRA fixed operator 'A2' as well :)

Oh, wow, I didn't now they came out with it. Should have done it A1 length :/

That's the one I'd get if I wanted to spend the money.

newyork
03-11-10, 16:48
Sully, RRA Stubby A2, Vltor A1 clubfoot or Vltor Clubfoot A2 length, Ace has an Entry and an A1 with pad (the 1 you're looking at), Magpul PRS.
Both of my rifles have Sully stocks and I love them.

JHC
03-11-10, 16:57
+1 The Sully is very good. Very very sturdy. No butt-stroking worries there. Sorta heavy. I have had one on a rifle since the "ban" era and just took it off to lighten up a Recce with a CTR. I bolted on the Sully extension to give it a little more length but it's still about A1 length I think. Certainly no more.

Jakal
03-11-10, 17:24
Not looking for a stubby, I have a long LOP, so an A2 length.

So the UBR and IMOD are not fixed, they collapse? If so, they won't do, I am looking for something that locks up tight. Cheek riser and adjustable length of pull is OK, just no side to side action.

The PRS and the RRA fixed Operator are looking more like what I want. The PRS is almost double the price though.

newyork
03-11-10, 18:10
I don't know anything about the RRA operator. The Ace and Vltor fixed stocks are what you want if you don't want a standard A1 or A2 stock and don't want to spend the coin on the PRS. I have a Fixed A1 length Vltor Clubfoot sitting around collecting dust if you want to take it off my hands.
I looked at the Operator, guess that would be in the running for you as well

Jakal
03-11-10, 20:03
I like the RRA Operator A2 length stock.

The ACE looks too lite, the PRS is really nice but $$$$$.

I think the RRA is in between. I think I might go with that one.

newyork
03-11-10, 20:39
Nice! Good luck and enjoy

MassMark
03-11-10, 23:17
+1 for Sully...It's short enough to be handy on a carbine and adaptable enough with the spacer to get a good fit. I love mine...Not a fan of the Ace....

Mark71
03-12-10, 01:04
I really like the look of the RRA fixed operator stock. Too bad its not available in the A1 length.

Ma'at
03-12-10, 02:45
A1 stock, ftw. I have a PRS on a .936 16" barreled gun, balances it out perfectly, but I wouldn't recommend it for anything that didn't need the counterweight it offers. I also have an ACE Skeleton stock and LOVE LOVE it.

Honestly though...the A1 stock...the nice beveled buttcap, the way they shoulder quickly without hanging up on clothing because of it...the A1 was/is a great stock for a utilitarian-minded rifle.

If you don't care about the utility of the stock (and even if you do), the ACE Skeleton stock will not disappoint you. The rubber butt catches my shirt sometimes though, so you have to pay attention to how you shoulder it.

gtriever
03-12-10, 04:43
If you decide you want a PRS, Whittaker Guns had (2) AR15 models in stock yesterday priced at 206.00 each.

Jakal
03-12-10, 08:19
I went with the RRA A2 operator stock. I will give it a try and post back.

Severian
03-12-10, 14:48
So the UBR and IMOD are not fixed, they collapse? If so, they won't do, I am looking for something that locks up tight. Cheek riser and adjustable length of pull is OK, just no side to side action.

The UBR is very tight and solid with no rattling around like the flimsy old CAR stocks.

Dirge
03-12-10, 19:06
Living in Upstate NY, I'm forced to use a fixed stock in order to comply with the crappy state laws here. But in this case, it's not such a bad thing. I prefer fixed stocks for their stability and I think I would use a fixed stock even if I were to move to a state like Vermont.

I chose the ACE skeletal entry stock because I wanted something short, sturdy, and mostly metal, but lightweight. So far I haven't had any problems. I'm not sure if I want to use my carbine to butt stroke something or someone, but if I had to I don't think there would be an issue. Still, I've been looking at stocks like the Magpul PRS and I wish I had features like an adjustable cheek weld and length of pull. I've also learned to appreciate the benefits of polymer materials. If only Magpul made the PRS in a shorter carbine length...

Ma'at
03-13-10, 02:24
Dirge, if you live in the Binghamton area I'd be happy to let you check out my PRS. Its a fantastic stock, just REAL heavy. I have the ARFXE as well, and I'd "buttstroke" a fire hydrant with this thing. Its tough as nails. I have noticed, however, that the buttpad has a plastic shank in the center for the screws to thread into, not metal. Mine hasn't done well with the gas blowback finding its waay back through the stock tube. The plastic shank has basically rotted from inside the rubber pad and now the top screw doesnt thread into anything and the pad will spin if I want it to. That needs a better design. The rest of the stock is one of the best designs I've ever seen, though.

Dionysusigma
11-06-11, 01:04
**ZOMBIE THREAD RESURRECTION ALERT**

I went with the RRA A2 operator stock. I will give it a try and post back.

Was looking at one of these in lieu of a MagPul UBR. Don't have much use for a telescoping stock, and the A2 fits me like the A1 fits most normal people. :D

For what it's worth, it'd be going on a rifle with a BCM BFH LW 16" midlength.

Kfgk14
11-06-11, 10:45
Any idea the weight comparison on the standard A2 vs RRA operator vs the ACE skeleton?
Thanks.