PDA

View Full Version : So I Boycotted Subway, Cuz' of Annoying Comercial.

geminidglocker
03-11-10, 18:31
So, I used to enjoy a sub from Subway from time to time. Ever since their annoying commercials about "Five dollar foot-longs" came out I have'nt been back since. I don't think I could even walk into a Subway without being reminded of that shitty jingle. Curses on Subway.:mad:

ForTehNguyen
03-11-10, 18:33
its a good deal, dont hate :o

Bowser
03-11-10, 18:43
Five, five, five dollar foot longs!

bkb0000
03-11-10, 18:58
i'm so glad i have almost zero exposure to american commercial advertising.

without even dipping into the subliminal effects of 24 hour a day bombardment by advertisements telling you you're inadequate, and that purchasing a number of products are the only cure- they're so cheesy that any small entertainment value that may be derived from the terrible television programming that exists to serve as the comm-ad platform simply isn't even close to worth it. once a year or so i'll turn my TV on, in one of those exceptionally rare, brief moments where i'm feeling so lazy that sitting on the couch and staring mutely, dumbly at a screen actually seems appealing for some reason, and can't get through the first set of commercials before the TV gets shut off and the remote control thrown back into the junk drawer in the kitchen.

Littlelebowski
03-11-10, 19:06
So, I used to enjoy a sub from Subway from time to time. Ever since their annoying commercials about "Five dollar foot-longs" came out I have'nt been back since. I don't think I could even walk into a Subway without being reminded of that shitty jingle. Curses on Subway.:mad:

I avoid this by not watching TV. Problem solved.

Avenger29
03-11-10, 19:10
I'm a fan of Firehouse. Only reason I ever go to Subway is for the meatball subs.

caelumatra
03-11-10, 19:27
Yeah Firehouse is the way to go, but you have to admit it's a good deal for $5. ...

five dollar fooot loooooooooong

lol

geminidglocker
03-11-10, 19:27
I have submitted this thing on other forums. They have been much more active and I even recieved a PM telling me that in some other country, Subway stocks just lost value.;)

m4fun
03-11-10, 19:31
I am with you on the add sucking major.

I avoid them since they bailed on the healthy wraps and now have multiple forms of high carb crap - IMHO.

JonnyVain
03-11-10, 19:36
I avoid this by not watching TV. Problem solved.

this...

Ridge_Runner_5
03-11-10, 19:47
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZrks-BPeLQ

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-11-10, 21:32
I was boycotting them because their sandwhichs suck. Back in the 80s they were good. Now you have to get double meat just to get something that passes for finger food.

bkb0000
03-11-10, 21:35
I was boycotting them because their sandwhichs suck. Back in the 80s they were good. Now you have to get double meat just to get something that passes for finger food.

i always get double meat.. and it's expensive, so i rarely go there. a 6" with double meat is more than a 12" with regular meat.. i dont want to eat a shit ton of bread and hardly any meat.

Palmguy
03-11-10, 21:39
I'm a fan of Firehouse. Only reason I ever go to Subway is for the meatball subs.

Firehouse meatball sub > Subway meatball sub :cool:

And yeah, Subway's freaking annoying commercials have kept me away.

skyugo
03-11-10, 21:42
it's easier and more enjoyable to boycott TV

Avenger29
03-11-10, 21:43
Firehouse meatball sub > Subway meatball sub :cool:

And yeah, Subway's freaking annoying commercials have kept me away.

Oh, I fully agree, but there's 1 firehouse subs in my town and it's very crowded during lunch. When I get a chance to eat, I'm usually not near the FH location.

baffle Stack
03-11-10, 21:48
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZrks-BPeLQ

I love that commercial.

parishioner
03-11-10, 21:55
I get subway every now and then but vastly prefer Firehouse's turkey. It's sliced thin (the only way to enjoy it) and fresher due to the fact that firehouse is like a mini deli.

Oh, and their oatmeal raisin cookies are off the chain!

BWT
03-11-10, 22:05
Publix subs are the way to go, IMO.

Subway subs are just tiny these days.

Palmguy
03-11-10, 22:17
Publix subs are the way to go, IMO.

Now there's a damn good post...

CGSteve
03-11-10, 22:32
Apologies for being a snob, but being from Philly I've never patronized chain sandwich places. Getting delicious Italian sandwiches with real Italian meats, etc. spoils you.

I'm in AZ now and can't get that anymore, but that guy was an artist; special ordering certain ingredients and what not.

I miss cheesesteaks and Italian sandwiches bad. :(

BWT
03-11-10, 22:42
Now there's a damn good post...

They make good pies too, if you like Key Lime pies, give them a shot.

I think their Mango Lime's are really good too. (Yeah, I know, I'll catch some flak for saying that, but, they're great).

I'm allergic to chocolate, so it's pretty much pies and cheesecake for me.

ETA: That is one of the handful of occasions I eat stuff like that a year anyway.

Safetyhit
03-12-10, 00:22

Having traveled west a few times, I am very thankful for our food here.

And Subway...never. Like a plastic sandwich.

mnagant762
03-12-10, 04:00
All we have is a Subway and a Quizno's and I really don't like either one. Gotta love small towns.

Mac5.56
03-12-10, 04:11
Kill your T.V. and then you will feel no guilt when you eat a Subway sandwich. I have been TV commercial free for years, and I love it.

Eddiesketti
03-12-10, 10:24
It's not really a good deal considering they use to have 2 footlongs for 7.99 on Sunday.

Avenger29
03-12-10, 11:28
Having traveled west a few times, I am very thankful for our food here.

We don't have In N Out on the East Coast, though...:(

austinN4
03-12-10, 11:35
Getting delicious Italian sandwiches with real Italian meats, etc. spoils you.
Ya got that right! If there is a Jersey Mike's in you area give it a try. Not as good as an a small Italian family owned joint but not too bad and, IMO, certainly the best of the chains.
http://www.jerseymikes.com/

ST911
03-12-10, 13:52
Can you find Firehouse in the upper midwest?

Icculus
03-12-10, 14:18
Ya got that right! If there is a Jersey Mike's in you area give it a try. Not as good as an a small Italian family owned joint but not too bad and, IMO, certainly the best of the chains.
http://www.jerseymikes.com/

Not always a winner. We have 2 Jersey Mikes and while the first one is good, their newer location serves up crap, almost as bad as subway. Find a good local sandwich shop. We have a place called 2 Guy's Hogies that rules. And yes for whoever said it, yes, Publix makes a damn find sandwhich

Safetyhit
03-12-10, 14:22
Not always a winner. We have 2 Jersey Mikes and while the first one is good, their newer location serves up crap, almost as bad as subway. Find a good local sandwich shop. We have a place called 2 Guy's Hogies that rules. And yes for whoever said it, yes, Publix makes a damn find sandwhich

They sometimes say that it is our water that enables us to make a better bread around here (NY, NJ, Philly). I can't imagine how this could be, but then again I can't imagine why bread around other parts of the country simply can't compare.

Not like the ingredients can't be transported. Surely somebody should be capitalizing by now.

austinN4
03-12-10, 14:38
We have a place called 2 Guy's Hogies that rules.
Send them to Austin.

Icculus
03-12-10, 14:57
Not like the ingredients can't be transported. Surely somebody should be capitalizing by now.
Can we get the ingredients down here without all the northerners along in tow;)

Send them to Austin.'

Why the heck do you need a sandwich shop in Austin--just go eat some BBQ. If I was down there I would just pitch a tent outside of Stubb's:D

JStor
03-12-10, 15:24
it's easier and more enjoyable to boycott TV

Yeah...you are certainly right about that!

austinN4
03-12-10, 15:41
Why the heck do you need a sandwich shop in Austin--just go eat some BBQ. If I was down there I would just pitch a tent outside of Stubb's:D
As much as I like it, I can't eat BBQ every day. And if you are camped at Stubb's you are missing the really good BBQ at The Salt Lick in Driftwood, Oppie's in Spicewood and Cooper's in Llano.

Back on topic - I really would love to be able to get a NE style sub or pizza here. I never found it in Dallas or Houston when I lived there either.

CGSteve
03-12-10, 16:02
They sometimes say that it is our water that enables us to make a better bread around here (NY, NJ, Philly). I can't imagine how this could be, but then again I can't imagine why bread around other parts of the country simply can't compare.

For example, a proper cheesesteak needs to use Amoroso rolls and only Amoroso rolls. The entire country has caught on to what it is, one can even find a cheesesteak on menus in small border town restaurants, but it's just not the same, as simple a product as it is.

jmp45
03-12-10, 16:12
Gem.. if that jingle stays in you're head.. then just try to get this one out.. :D

Trolo Man...

http://trololololololololololo.com/

GermanSynergy
03-12-10, 17:53

Subway rocks! Just ate a turkey sammitch there..... :cool:

geminidglocker
03-12-10, 18:23
Apologies for being a snob, but being from Philly I've never patronized chain sandwich places. Getting delicious Italian sandwiches with real Italian meats, etc. spoils you.

I'm in AZ now and can't get that anymore, but that guy was an artist; special ordering certain ingredients and what not.

No apologies needed. The one time I went to Philly the first thing I did was get a Cheesesteak. YUM!;)

geminidglocker
03-12-10, 18:26
Gem.. if that jingle stays in you're head.. then just try to get this one out.. :D

Trolo Man...

Your too much dude, where did you find that? I think I'll bust out with that at my birthday party this year. Maybe not.

bkb0000
03-12-10, 18:36

Trolo Man...

wholly shit... you KNOW Trololo Man got mad 'tang, in his day.

that was incredible.

Safetyhit
03-12-10, 20:34
wholly shit... you KNOW Trololo Man got mad 'tang, in his day.

that was incredible.

Terrible advertisement, but not unlike myself at times in the house with my son and the dogs.

markdh720
03-12-10, 23:26
What about Jimmy John's? I don't know how spread out they are around the country. "Subs so fast you'll freak"? Extremely annoying radio commercials, but a decent sandwich and they deliver (though I just pick them up). Far better than Subway, Quiznos, or Mr. Sub in my opinion.

Ridge_Runner_5
03-12-10, 23:42
I like the Jimmy Johns commercials, if only because he can talk so quickly without missing a beat or otherwise screwing up their lines...

jmp45
03-13-10, 09:39
Your too much dude, where did you find that? I think I'll bust out with that at my birthday party this year. Maybe not.

I got that from another board, a bunch of old musicians, they always seem to find this crazy stuff.

DragonDoc
03-13-10, 10:03

Here's a classic "where's the beef?"

orionz06
03-13-10, 10:07
I stopped eating them just because it isnt that good. I also found Qdoba, so there is never a reason to have subway...

Safetyhit
03-13-10, 10:14
Trolo Man...

He seems to have taken up residence in my brain. Can't get the frigger to stop singing.

My 6 year old loves it. :D

sadmin
03-13-10, 10:25
yea, thanks for that... ive watched it 6 times i think..
that dude is sitting around somewhere nearing 80 years old making someones day BAD ASS

loupav
03-13-10, 13:33
M'mmmmm chicken beacon ranch....:D

An Undocumented Worker
03-13-10, 16:32
Good luck getting this out of your head...... NSFW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc3f4xU_FfQ

Served up with a side of WTF.

jmp45
03-13-10, 17:19
He seems to have taken up residence in my brain. Can't get the frigger to stop singing.

My 6 year old loves it. :D

It is strangely haunting.. :D I downloaded the ringtone for my G1 and set it go off when a crazy bud I know gives me a call.

baffle Stack
03-14-10, 11:08
Wow, WTF is right.

Good luck getting this out of your head...... NSFW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc3f4xU_FfQ

Served up with a side of WTF.