PDA

View Full Version : Nike SFB (Special Forces Boot) initial impressions w/ pics

03-11-10, 21:04
As a full-time LEO I am always in the hunt for good footwear. My niche was with the Oakley SI Assault boots. Fit and finish were up to my standards. The only beef I had with them was the fact that they didn't last long. The soles wore out way too fast. I would go through a pair every 6-7 months. Having an extra 15-18# of gear on didn't help either.
My fallback was the Danner GTX boot. Although comfortable, I didn't really like the height of them. 8" was pushing for me. It restricted my ankles too much.

A buddy/co-worker of mine recently turned me onto the Nike SFB. He had the original version with the matte material. The new ones have a gloss look to them now.

Initial impressions out of the box and onto my feet.

1. VERY light in weight
2. These are not a winter or waterproof boot. They are IMO a summertime/dry season boot. I'm sure if you do get your socks wet they would dry pretty fast.
3. There is no ankle support. The boot material is thin and act more like a cover than a supportive "brace" if you will.
4. Heel cup feels low
5. I have WIDE feet and so far there are no hot spots or discomfort.
6. They do feel more like a running shoe.
7. Quiet so far walking on tile. I would clunk around with the Danner boots.

About sizing. They fit me true to size. Don't laugh but I wear 8.5 US. :p I wear 8.5 wide in the Oakleys and 8.5 wide in the Danners as well.
8.5 in the Nike boots leave me enough toe room without crushing them.

Price paid was $140 (with tax and free shipping on the initial order). You can only buy them online/direct right now at Niketown.com

Well that's about it so far. I'll put them to use this coming Sunday. I'm off for the next 3.. Stay tuned for feedback.

http://i43.tinypic.com/icv3ax.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/5z31fm.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/r8csvo.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/124wiuw.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/25rytc6.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/2vv2b7n.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/33z8waw.jpg

03-11-10, 21:12
any pics?

I linked the pics on my post. I guess it's not loading up for you. They are through Tinypic.com Weird.

BSHNT2015
03-11-10, 21:12
any pics?

Kentucky Cop
03-11-10, 21:23
They look great....., but I am skeptical about the durability of them. Here is my thoughts. Nike has never made a "work boot". It appears that they basically took a Nike tennis shoe and married it to a boot upper half. I worked some plain clothes assignments and wore my nike shocks. After a few months during a busy summer, they were destroyed. They just couldn't stand up to the work of LE. (I was really hard on them)

I am excited they have entered the arena but I little skeptical of how good they will hold up. I am about to pull the trigger on some Danner APB's. I might have to wait a month and see how this plays out. Please keep us informed! Inquiring minds want to know :)

Ky Cop

GO CATS!

03-11-10, 21:34
Yep. That's why I bought them. You gotta find out somehow and I don't mind being the guinea pig. I'm a bit skeptical myself right now. I work nights so there's a lot of running around and rough situations. I hope they last otherwise it was $140 down the drain.

cop1211
03-11-10, 21:46
How do they shine up?

03-11-10, 21:50
They seem like they would after building up layers. I think that's why they went with a gloss finish this time around. Unfortunately I don't polish my boots. They wouldn't last 5 minutes.

Littlelebowski
03-11-10, 22:00
Have you tried Bates Lites?

hazmat25
03-11-10, 23:47
it sounds like nike is trying to compete with converse in the boot field (which IMHO they failed miserably at)

03-12-10, 08:53
IIRC it released the middle of last year so it's still relatively new. I found some literature online and some have stated this was a 4 year project in the making. Is there any truth to that? I have the slightest idea.

I'm pretty hard on my boots so I will know immediately if they will hold up to regular patrol use. Don't worry. I won't hold any secrets. I'm not endorsed by anyone and it was paid for out of my own pocket. If it sucks, I'll be the first to let you guys know.

Moose-Knuckle
03-12-10, 09:39
Going off the picture of the sole of the boot I would venture to say that it will last about as long as the Oakleys if not less. Keep us abreast...

03-12-10, 10:04
The first picture is the Oakley SI Assault. They were worn for about 7 months straight on 4 10 hour shifts per week. They've been through crap short of dog shit. My boots/shoes tend to wear on the same spot because of my gait.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2604g8p.jpg

This is my Danner GTX circa 2007. The middle of last year was when they went on full time. Before that, they were my rainy day boot because of the Gore Tex. They are wearing well for me but you can see that they are starting to crack.

http://i40.tinypic.com/35n25fn.jpg

signal4l
03-12-10, 10:31
I have worn through 2 pairs of Danner Gtx boots. They all split like yours. You can send them back to Danner for replacement.

03-12-10, 10:33
I have worn through 2 pairs of Danner Gtx boots. They all split like yours. You can send them back to Danner for replacement.

Really.. They'll replace the boots no questions?

mildot
03-12-10, 10:34
Hey Buds, I hear ya about the service life of the Oakleys, they are comfortable though. I managed to get more life out of mine than you did,about a year. I just ordered a pair of the OTB Feredelance boots, hopefully they last longer than the Oakleys.The reviews were good. More to follow.

larry0071
03-12-10, 11:04
I have to agree with LittleLebowski up above about the Bates.

I use Bates at work in an industrial setting. I spend most of my day walking/climbing on concrete or steel grating, some blacktop and frequent trips on small round ladder bar going from grating level to grating level.

My Bates boots were purchased at Dick's Sporting Goods a week before December 1st 2008 and I am still wearing them today. I overpaid, Sportsmans Guide is $20 cheaper, but who is counting.

They wear really well, but the real winner here is that they are comfortable as heck! Once in a while I swap over to my Oakley Nail shoes and I can't stand them, these boots are just great, even 16 months after buying them and wearing them way too much!

I am starting to look at other Bates boots to replace these, and this is what I would like... the exact same boot but with Gore-Tex! The down fall to these is that they are like described above, a summer dry weather. Waterproof and these boots should never be in the same sentence. Add Gore-Tex and they would be too good to be true! Then I can see me wanting a second pair of these boots for winter with the Gore-tex and also add 400 grams of Thinsulate. Then I could likely get 2-3 years out of them because they could pull split duty in the seasons that they are appropriate.

Here is my 18 month old Bates ZR Duty Boots, or at least that is what I think they are called. And no!, I don't polish my work boots to crawl around in an industrial plant!

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp174/larry0071/IMAG0458.jpg

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp174/larry0071/IMAG0460.jpg

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp174/larry0071/IMAG0462.jpg

Sexy, aren't they!

03-12-10, 11:22
Glad I don't have a foot/shoe fetish! :p With that said, I tried on a pair of Bates once before and didn't like the way they felt on my feet. They ran narrow IMO but then again I didn't try on a wide size.

Moose-Knuckle
03-12-10, 11:59
I work in LE as well and have owned boots from about every manufacture out there. Bates is what I keep going back to as they last longer than the rest. Bates parent company is Wolverine Worldwide; they are the largest boot maker in the world.

http://www.wolverineworldwide.com/default.asp

For you guys that are wearing out your boots quickly try buying two pair at a time and alternate them daily, as the average human foot perspires about a pint of fluid a day. It takes 24hrs from the time you take your footwear off for them to completely dry out. Perspiration breaks down both leather and synthetic materials.

QuietShootr
03-12-10, 12:06
8.5 wide?? Do Labradors try to retrieve you when you go swimming?

larry0071
03-12-10, 12:07
Moose Knuckle..... who chooses the name Moose Knuckle? That makes me LMFAO every time I see you post because I picture something like this....

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP14275.jpg

Or this...

http://forums.bit-tech.net/picture.php?albumid=363&pictureid=4260

Or this...LOL!!!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1018/942306754_c113a35d71.jpg

03-12-10, 12:08
lol. I'm actually a good swimmer. Trying to ski is another story though. Standard boots don't fit me. I have to get full custom boots to be comfortable.

Moose-Knuckle
03-12-10, 13:52
Moose Knuckle.....who chooses the name Moose Knuckle? That makes me LMFAO every time I see you post because I picture something like this....

:cool:

BTT

03-12-10, 14:49
Hey guys let's keep this work safe and back on topic.

Thanks.

doughnut
03-12-10, 16:56
I had no idea Nike made this type of boot. I wear Bates Gore-Tex Dura-Shocks and find them to be a great boot but kinda warm in the summer months. I'm going to have to try a pair of these out. I've used Nike running shoes for years so this is a natural choice for a duty boot.

LockenLoad
03-12-10, 19:02
Hey Buds, I hear ya about the service life of the Oakleys, they are comfortable though. I managed to get more life out of mine than you did,about a year. I just ordered a pair of the OTB Feredelance boots, hopefully they last longer than the Oakleys.The reviews were good. More to follow.

for an everyday work boot a year is about it? if your working, if your work consist of patrolling in a car mostly I would be disappointed, I walk many miles in the field no matter what boot I have used in a year I want a new pair.

ghost762
03-12-10, 19:11
Are they going to make those with a steel toe?

R Moran
03-12-10, 19:23
I've been wearing a pair of the desert tan boots on duty, off and on for a few months now.

As stated they are very light, almost to light, if there's such a thing.

I have even smaller feet then 021411, and I find them to be about a 1/2 size smaller, maybe more. I would wear them more if they were a tad bigger.

They are an assault boot, just like the Oakley's, therefore, durability was not high on the list of priorities when designing the boot. There are no free lunches, if you want a light weight, running boot, ya gotta pay the price.

FWIW, I rotate my boots daily, at least thru two pairs, that helps with longevity, and keeps the boot dry, and allows the mid sole cushioning to recover, just like running shoes.
Outer sole wear is not a good indication of when the boot is done either.

I've gotten quite alot of wear outta my Oakleys, I still have the first pair I bought back in 05(?), we also get issued two pair a year,so I got Oakley's coming out my ears.

Anyway, overall I like the Nike's', keep in mind what they were made for...get of the Helo, run in and kill everyone, run back to the helo. For that they are great.

There's a thread on them over at Lightfighter.

Bob

cop1211
03-12-10, 20:30
Best boots I've had/have are the Lowa's as well as the Haix.

El Vaquero
03-12-10, 22:24
I love my Oakleys, BUT I too am displeased with their life expectancy (around 7mos) and the fact that you can't polish the toe. I will definitely be giving these Nikes a good hard look in the next few months.

sff70
03-13-10, 08:05
I'm another 8.5W (8.5EE).

Have 4 pr Danner Acadias, 1 pr Danner Ft Lewis, and 1 pr Danner GTX (4" tall).

Considering picking up Lowa Zephyr or something similar next time I stop in at REI.

steve-oh
03-13-10, 10:57
Several buddies of mine wear these as their garrison boot because of how comfortable they are, but won't wear them in the field because of the lack of ankle support. Same reason I ditched my Oakleys for the Garmonts.

arizonaranchman
03-14-10, 08:53
I've always been a Chippewa fan. Not lightweight but an excellent boot that's all leather inside and out. They make a combat type boot for about $165 that lasts me about 3 or 4 yrs of daily use. Steel toe and good heavy duty boot that can be re-soled.

Ratfink
03-14-10, 22:35
i had trouble with oakley boots in a military setting they didnt last long at all with nonskid decks and they didnt last in the sandbox period i went with LOWA boots had some or my OIC's running them and they turned me to them heres the link
http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/catalog.cfm?Category=8&Type=M
there pricy but i got a lot of life out of them and they were worth it when i was on my tours to oif/oef

03-15-10, 07:23
Day 1 review.

The boots felt great during the 8 hour shift. I got in and out of the car quite a few times. No running though. :o
There were no hot spots to report about which is quite surprising for a brand new boot. My feet stayed dry and comfortable tonight.

The only gripe so far is the forefoot area. I couldn't get the laces tight on them. If you pull on the laces and let go, they get loose again. The eyelets don't put enough tension on the laces to hold them in place (like running shoes).

I'll make another review at the end of the 15th shift and again at the 30th. Basically a one month evaluation. So far so good. If anything, I see the soles wearing down first.

Stay tuned.

signal4l
03-17-10, 13:07
Really.. They'll replace the boots no questions?

I sent them a photo of the boots. They told me that the boots should not wear in that manner and to send them in for replacement.

The GTX are made in China. Disappointing to say the least. I always thought Danner boots were made in the USA

CyberM4
03-17-10, 15:05
My take on Nike CRAP. No matter what I bought from NIKE did not last long. Sneakers, Gym shorts, baseball cleats and tshirts. I'm done with Nike. I own a pair of BlackHawk Warrior wear Swat boots. $150. They have ankle support. Nice and light. Non Gortex.

03-17-10, 16:32
You would HOPE that Nike put a little more effort and QC into the boot since it is marketed towards MIL/LE. Only time will tell. They are still new to the boot market.
Nike was never a one stop shop for me. If I wanted running shoes, I would get New Balance, Asics, Saucony.. Baseball cleats, Mizuno. Etc.. Nike was only good for t-shirts and a few other things.

As stated, this is an evaluation for me. I have to give it a chance before moving on. If it's crap, I won't ever buy them again. If they actually hold up, they would be a contender for future purchases.

CBTech
03-18-10, 21:08
I used to be a Nike fan because of the Pegasus, which was the greatest running shoe for about 12 years and then they started pushing it on non-runners and got concerned about style. They are good at bastardizing any product that becomes popular. To an outsider of the running world they would seem to be the leader but if you ask most real runners they prefer another brand. Many former customers had a Nike they really loved but Nike has a good way of messing with thier models and not carrying continuity year to year.
I'll stick to Rocky and Merell for duty and field use.

03-18-10, 22:11
I have 4 shifts down in the boots. 11 more shifts until the next thorough update but so far so good.

I know this thread is strictly about the Nike SFB but I think I'm going to also order a pair of the Tactical Research Kiowa boots. I see a common theme going on. "High speed" boots... :cool: I'll review that when it happens.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

R Moran
03-19-10, 19:17
My team Sgt. has been wearing the TR Kiowa's for a for a few weeks now. Wore them on the O course today, and they certainly didn't hurt his performance:D

He likes them quite a bit, took a little breaking in though. They have no heel, just a flat sole.

As for the complaints of low mileage, I was issued a pair of Danner Desert Acadia's, solid boot that everyone loves, last for ever, I took mine off after 1/2 a shift, and never wore them again.

I prefer lightweight running/Assault boots, over any of the bricks out there, I'll put up with a somewhat shorter life span to get that, there's no free lunch. Though, mine all seem to last OK.

Bob

03-19-10, 19:23
Cool.. I placed an order last night shortly after my post for a pair of black TR Kiowa's. Militaryboots.com sold them pretty cheap with free shipping. They are due to arrive this coming Wednesday. I'll make another brief review on them as well.

CommieHunter
09-18-10, 12:29
If anyone's still looking for info on the Nike SFB, there's a decent review here by a former marine who plays airsoft (I know you guys hate that word).

http://www.airsoftoutletnw.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=176:nike-sfb-review&catid=14&Itemid=218

Airsoft Outlet is also the only other online store that I know of where you can get the SFB other than Nike, and they just posted that they got in 9, 9.5, and 10 in stock.

Iraq Ninja
09-18-10, 16:16
Here is my 6 month use review of the Nike SFB.

Fit and finish are excellent. Very light, but too light for extreme heat. I think the leather is too thin. My feet got so hot they started to hurt in the 120+ Iraq heat.

The main reason I got it was for the 2 mile kit run we have to do. I wanted something like a running shoe but with ankle support (test requirement). They did fine on the run, but the right boot gave me a huge blister on the back of my heel. The leather was actually worn where it made the blister.

I only wear them now during moderate temperatures, and my default footwear is still my Merrell Contimuum shoes. The silver treatment in the shoes has also kept them odor free, unlike the Nike boots...

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/Iraqninja/boot.jpg

ap1220
09-18-10, 18:01
I have been interested in the boot as well as there were a few guys who were wearing them when we went through this three week course together where they suffered A LOT of abuse. I wore my Danner GTX's about 90% of the time and they fared VERY well, still wear them 3-5 days out of the work week.

The guys who had the Nike's had nothing but good things to say about them, one didn't get any blisters at all even though he had little to no break-in time, but that may have been because of foot conditioning and not neccesarily the boots.

The only reason I have not bought myself a pair is because I like to try my boots on before I buy. With all the different manufacturer's out there, I don't trust the same size boots to fit. Hell, as it is I wear size 10 running shoes and my boots are 7.5-8W for summers and winters are 8.5W, so I gotta try before I buy.

BooneGA
09-19-10, 08:39
After wearing size 10 nike free running shoes for the better part of last year I decided to pick up the SFB in the same size before my deployment to afghanistan last year. I will get pictures of the boots but they held up remarkably well for the terrian that I had them out in. Overall a great purchase and some of the only boots that dont cause my plantar fasciitis to flare up.

Rick

CGSteve
09-19-10, 13:02
for an everyday work boot a year is about it? if your working, if your work consist of patrolling in a car mostly I would be disappointed, I walk many miles in the field no matter what boot I have used in a year I want a new pair.

That is my problem as well. I don't mean to disparage the type of duty, but all of it is in urban terrain and is light in comparison to the type of LE work that I do.

I'm a BPA and I walk through the Sonoran desert. The biggest restraint I have in boot selection is our uniform standards. We are not allowed to wear any type of sneaker looking boots, or hiking boots; the boots we wear have to look like uniform boots (they want them shiny too :rolleyes:), otherwise I would definitely check out those Merrell's that the active duty SF types speak so highly of on here.

Our standard issue boots are Danner's. They are durable and strong, but are extremely heavy for the type of work. They are also hot for the environment (AZ Sonoran desert heat). The high back is uncomfortable for me as well.

I have been wearing some type of Wellco boot, which are unauthorized but look like a uniform boot enough to pass by. They wear out in less than a year's time, I've already gone through two, and I don't track/walk every single day.

Knowing Nike's appeal for style and popularity, I just know these boots won't stand up to that kind of usage despite being marketed to mil (I left out LE because my work terrain is more similar to Astan than traditional LE in an urban setting).