PDA

View Full Version : Which rail, KAC RAS or Omega?

jhs1969
03-12-10, 16:03
First let me say I've had 3 different RAS's and have no complaints on them, and I currently have one on my LMT. I'm now looking to add a rail to my 6920. I will also add that I have several extra KAC rail covers and can get a RAS cheaper than the Omega. If I get a RAS, along with the extra rail covers I already have, I shouldn't need to add anything else to the rail. So it seems the RAS has a slight lead already.

With that being said, I've heard a lot of good things about the Omega but I have zero experience with them. I do have a couple of questions about the Omega's,
Will/can the Omega loosen the barrel nut? I know it can't back out due to the gas tube, I was just wondering if this is possible.

Will/can the set screws back out, even with blue loctite?

For those that have an Omega what more can you tell me, especially anyone who has ran them hard.

Which would you get and why?

Kilo 1-1
03-12-10, 16:20
I say, if you could get the RAS for less, I would just go with that. I have one myself, and they work as they should.
I can't remember exactly, but I think the Omegas are free floating right?

I don't personally own an Omega, but hopefully these set of excellent pictures of assembly process might help answer your question.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65

jhs1969
03-12-10, 16:54
I say, if you could get the RAS for less, I would just go with that. I have one myself, and they work as they should.
I can't remember exactly, but I think the Omegas are free floating right?

I don't personally own an Omega, but hopefully these set of excellent pictures of assembly process might help answer your question.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65

Thanks for the link, I had actually viewed that link before but had lost it. I've got it saved now. Yes the Omega free floats off of the barrel nut. I don't know anyone who has one or ran one hard. I'm not sure how great it's benefits are over the KAC to warrant a slightly higer price.

Thanks again.

infidelprodigy
03-12-10, 17:00
I've got a RAS and an Omega both of which I have used "hard" over several years. If I were paying for another rail between the two my money would go to the Omega. The RAS I have has become a little use after a few years and several thousand rounds, while the Omega has not budged. I have even moved the Omega to different uppers, and have never had any of the set screws back out under use. As with anything on a rifle with threads, blue Loctite is your friend.

However, if you have access to a RAS at a good price that may decide your choice. The Free float is an advantage but whether or not you need it is up to you.

rljatl
03-12-10, 19:56
Personally, I would go with either the RAS or the Omega X. I don't like the rail extension on the standard Omega that bridges the gap between the upper and the rail.

http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=152

The Omega X is harder to install the first time, but things are moving towards the more monolithic streamlined look of rails without a Delta ring. You can't go wrong with any of the three, imo.

SPM14430
03-12-10, 22:13
I have owned/used both RAS and Omega rails.

Both are excellent rails... The RAS is tried and true, the classic rail. The Omega is an amazing piece of machining, and extremely light to boot.

If you decide to go with the RAS, I would highly recommend the SAS locking lower rail which ensures ZERO movement whatsoever.