PDA

View Full Version : Do 5.11 pants shrink much?

esskay
03-12-10, 16:53
Hey guys,
Got some 5.11 stuff shipped to me -- pants and shorts (the all cotton 8.5oz kind). Was wondering if they typically shrink after laundering and how much?

I got the same waist size for both, but the shorts are pretty well sized for me and the pants are too big (so the sizing is inconsistent between the two!). When I had tried 5.11 pants sizing in a store, the next smaller size pants were too small and the size I ordered were just slightly on the big side (even this sizing was different than the one I received which is just too big).

Trying to figure out whether to exchange the pants for the smaller size (unless I get more randomly different sizing!) or just wash them in hot water and dry the heck out of it to make it shrink.

TIA

NCPatrolAR
03-12-10, 19:15
5.11 sizing is inconsitent and the pants shrink like crazy

ST911
03-12-10, 21:45

What he said.

Stick with a higher quality pant such as the Woolrich, EOTAC, Vertx, and a very few others.

Steve in PA
03-12-10, 21:55
Guess I've been lucky. I have over a dozen pair of the 5.11 pants, sizes are all the same and no shrinkage. These are for the pants, don't know about any size differential between pants and shorts.

awm14hp
03-13-10, 08:39

I have one old pair that was spot on waist size and 4 pairs I bought in last LAPS sale and all 4 have huge diff in sizes from almost a 1.5 size larger to smaller and all have tags with same sizes printed on but huge diff. QC not so good

cevtv
03-13-10, 12:57
What he said.

Stick with a higher quality pant such as the Woolrich, EOTAC, Vertx, and a very few others.

+1 for Eotac!

esskay
03-13-10, 16:54
Thanks guys.

Yeah, I got a couple clearance 5.11 items and I guess I'll chalk it up to a lesson learned, and try to see if I can shrink the hell out of the pants rather than play "sizing roulette" with additional pairs... Kinda silly but I've always liked the idea of that strap across the rear pocket to hook my ears onto... :rolleyes:

I have several Woolrich, some of which have shrunk more than others -- they originally fit a tad big and the biggest shrinkers are perfect now!

Maybe I'll try Eotac next, need to find a local dealer to check 'em out...

Robb Jensen
03-13-10, 16:58
5.11s do vary quite a bit from pair to pair it's best to try them on when you can before purchasing.
I air dry mine and wash them on cold.

ST911
03-13-10, 17:06
I air dry mine and wash them on cold.

I do that with all my pants, and hang them by the legs while they dry. Losing an inch is a big deal to knuckle-draggers. They also seem to last longer if I don't dry them.