PDA

View Full Version : Today a member of Easy Company was my patient.

jaydoc1
03-12-10, 19:17
Today I had the absolute honor and privilege of being the anesthesiologist for one of the last remaining members of Easy Company. What an absolutely fascinating and humbling experience to be in this man's presence and to be responsible for his care. Even as an octogenarian his personality and strength were still readily apparent.

I knew he was coming in today so brought in my well-read copy of Band of Brothers as well as the DVD collection and had him sign both. While we were chatting I found out a really embarrassing thing. I have lived within 10 miles of him for the last 8 years and didn't even know it. However, he has promised that I'm invited to his next get-together as long as I'm a beer-drinker. I assured him I was.

During his case I just had to sit and imagine all that this man has gone through and seen during his life. I had so many questions I wanted to ask him about how he feels having sacrificed so much for the freedom of our country only to watch it being taken away by our own government.

I didn't of course. I'm guessing it wouldn't have been all that appropriate to get him worked up right before taking him back to surgery. But what a betrayal of these heroes is taking place during their lifetime. How quickly we forget.

It was even evident in the OR staff how little this man's sacrifice means to them. I'm forty, but even those in their thirties looked at me with amusement as I kept asking them, "Do you realize who that is?" "Do you know what he has seen, done, and been through?" Someone even laughed and told me I should get the guy's autograph since I was so excited to meet him. Then I showed him the book and my DVDs. "Now that's ridiculous," was the response.

Is it any wonder our country is headed in the direction it is when even adults are unimpressed by a man like this anymore?

I, for one, will go home a changed and blessed man tonight for having met him. I must have thanked him for his service twenty times and it still seems like I didn't thank him enough.

parishioner
03-12-10, 19:37
What an honor. You're luck to have been in the presence of such a person. I hope his operation went OK.

mattjmcd
03-12-10, 19:44
Today I had the absolute honor and privilege of being the anesthesiologist for one of the last remaining members of Easy Company. What an absolutely fascinating and humbling experience to be in this man's presence and to be responsible for his care. Even as an octogenarian his personality and strength were still readily apparent.

I knew he was coming in today so brought in my well-read copy of Band of Brothers as well as the DVD collection and had him sign both. While we were chatting I found out a really embarrassing thing. I have lived within 10 miles of him for the last 8 years and didn't even know it. However, he has promised that I'm invited to his next get-together as long as I'm a beer-drinker. I assured him I was.

During his case I just had to sit and imagine all that this man has gone through and seen during his life. I had so many questions I wanted to ask him about how he feels having sacrificed so much for the freedom of our country only to watch it being taken away by our own government.

I didn't of course. I'm guessing it wouldn't have been all that appropriate to get him worked up right before taking him back to surgery. But what a betrayal of these heroes is taking place during their lifetime. How quickly we forget.

It was even evident in the OR staff how little this man's sacrifice means to them. I'm forty, but even those in their thirties looked at me with amusement as I kept asking them, "Do you realize who that is?" "Do you know what he has seen, done, and been through?" Someone even laughed and told me I should get the guy's autograph since I was so excited to meet him. Then I showed him the book and my DVDs. "Now that's ridiculous," was the response.

Is it any wonder our country is headed in the direction it is when even adults are unimpressed by a man like this anymore?

I, for one, will go home a changed and blessed man tonight for having met him. I must have thanked him for his service twenty times and it still seems like I didn't thank him enough.

That mighta earned him a stern "**** you" in response!

Still, kinda humbling, i suppose.

lethal dose
03-12-10, 19:52
Phenomenal story. I recently treated a veteran of Vietnam who was part of the special forces community. Truly amazing... especially considering he was more then willing to talk about his experiences.

mikejg
03-12-10, 20:08
Definitely a great story and what an honor indeed.

I'm waiting anxiously for The Pacific to start on Sunday.

SeriousStudent
03-12-10, 20:17
Thank you for the care and respect you displayed to the gentleman.

You more than lived up to the Oath of your profession.

Alpha Sierra
03-12-10, 20:31
It was even evident in the OR staff how little this man's sacrifice means to them. I'm forty, but even those in their thirties looked at me with amusement as I kept asking them, "Do you realize who that is?" "Do you know what he has seen, done, and been through?" Someone even laughed and told me I should get the guy's autograph since I was so excited to meet him. Then I showed him the book and my DVDs. "Now that's ridiculous," was the response.It would have take almost superhuman self-restraint to keep me from punching that son of a bitch in the mouth and spraying his teeth all over the floor. :mad:

PT Doc
03-12-10, 21:09
I work in the Toccoa area and go to the museum and hike Currahee on occasion. If you're ever in the area, it's a great way to spend an afternoon. I have also had a Tuskegee airman as a patient, and he was without question the most dignified gentleman I have ever had the honor of meeting.

QuietShootr
03-12-10, 21:11
That mighta earned him a stern "**** you" in response!

Still, kinda humbling, i suppose.

LMAO!! I was thinking to myself "**** You!" when I scrolled down and read your post:D

N4LtRecce
03-12-10, 21:14
Even if the others at work don't appreciate who this man is, I'm glad someone (you) do. Awesome that he invited you to hang out and swill some beers... Those WWII vets won't be around forever.

Caeser25
03-12-10, 21:16
It would have take almost superhuman self-restraint to keep me from punching that son of a bitch in the mouth and spraying his teeth all over the floor. :mad:

Same here I wanna puke at the direction our country's headed.

ZdvM4
03-12-10, 21:33
I humbly lift my glass to that man and say "I am not worthy" What an honor and thanks for sharing that experience. There is still such a thing as honor in this country, just not as much as there used to be.
Semper Fi

Oscar 319
03-12-10, 21:45
Thank you for the care and respect you displayed to the gentleman.

You more than lived up to the Oath of your profession.

My thoughts exactly. Humble heroes, all of them.

Thank you for caring for him and sharing your experience.

Black
03-12-10, 21:56
All Vets, IMHO especially WW2 vets, deserve way more than we ever gave them. They literally saved the world.

Wetwork
03-12-10, 22:17
but my hats off to you. You done right! Makes me feel better to know some folks still give a damn. At least you knew....unlike so many these days. Once upon a time I had the honor to buy a gent who had "The Medal" a beer. It was right after Gulf 1 started and he showed up in our E-Club. Ya just don't ask why he had the blue ribbon with the white stars around his neck, ya just buy the guy a drink and say thanks.
I was at the VA hospital the other day and looking around at all my brothers and sisters and I felt like a heel, the only elephant I ever fought was bad storms and surf, trying to get the survivors and my crew to shore without capsizing (Surfman Ret.). It just never seemed the same as dealing with shots fired in anger in my head, those are the real hero's.
You were lucky mate, and you did the right thing. Thanks-WW

crob1
03-12-10, 23:11
All Vets, IMHO especially WW2 vets, deserve way more than we ever gave them. They literally saved the world.

Amen to that!

13MPG
03-13-10, 02:37
Very cool! It’s always nice to run into one of those old titans and thank them.

DragonDoc
03-13-10, 10:45

The good thing about being an NCO is that I can pull all of the enlisted staff and civilians aside for training. That man's sacrifice and experiences are part ofArmy history and it is the NCOs responsibility to make sure that the customs, traditions, and history of the Army are passed on. If they still don't get it (MEDDAC syndrome), I would make arrangements for said service member to go downrange and get first hand knowledge of what sacrifices a Soldier makes while in the CZ. Here at Brooke Army Medical Center the staff gets it. Our staff only reacts with some apathy and trepidation when we are stuck treating illegals for extended periods (why do they always run and go boom?).

USAFR
03-18-10, 18:03
Not many of these brave men left. We just had another lier here in Oregon telling his story about all the places and things he had been and done. Not one was true, a couple '**** yous" and a punch in the mouth is not enough for those who dont get it.

Be safe.

ICANHITHIMMAN
03-18-10, 18:14
who was he? Or cant you say?

skyugo
03-18-10, 18:26
cool, how's he doin post-surgery?

jaydoc1
03-18-10, 19:22
who was he? Or cant you say?

Unfortunately, no, I can't say because that would be a violation of his patient rights under HIPAA.

I can tell you he was one of the members that was interviewed multiple times in the BoB miniseries. Other than that, sorry.

jaydoc1
03-18-10, 19:23
cool, how's he doin post-surgery?

Doing very well. You wouldn't have thought he even had surgery once he was awake in the recovery room.

SeriousStudent
03-18-10, 19:34
Doing very well. You wouldn't have thought he even had surgery once he was awake in the recovery room.

That's excellent. Please pass on our good wishes and prayers to him.

Thank you for the update, I was wondering about the gentleman today.

dmanflynn
03-23-10, 00:10
Thats pretty amazing. Anytime I hear of a WWII vet., see one, meet one, etc... I always end up thinking, man you know theres not to many of these guys left anymore. Every once in a while Ill make that comment and people just look at you funny. It really pisses me off that all these teeny bopper facebooking vain kids my age dont give a rats ass about past or current vets.:mad: I know Ive seen and met a few WWII vets in the past at either gun shows which is uncommon, or town meetings etc, and I always like to sit near to the table they are sitting at to listen to some of the stories they tell:)

And you know whats even more humbling? They dont talk about how the VA doesnt want to do a certain procedure, instead just chock them full of drugs (happened to my Grandpa) or how they dont get recognized for their duty hardly, or how all the trials and tribulations they went through almost everybody has forgotten or just doesnt care about anymore.It'd piss me off if I was them. It always amazes me at how good I have it, and what they've done to make it that way and I guess Im one of a dieing breed in my age group but every chance I get I thank people like this (current and past serving). I make a point to stop and shake a hand of a vet. of any war, and its sickening to see the people look at you funny because you broke the social order by thanking one, it makes you want to deck em.

Any way, I didnt mean to run on and on, your experience was one in a lifetime my friend. If you ever get that inkling to pick up the phone and give him a shout or something do it. Never put it off, he could be here today and gone tommarow. And with a Hero like that, I wouldnt chance it:)

OldGreg
03-23-10, 12:21
Unfortunately, no, I can't say because that would be a violation of his patient rights under HIPAA.

I can tell you he was one of the members that was interviewed multiple times in the BoB miniseries. Other than that, sorry.

I think you gave it away with that clue. :D :p.

If it's who Google turned up, then no doubt i would've been trying to get my BoB DVD set autographed too.

Thank you for sharing jaydoc.

RancidSumo
03-23-10, 13:14
Thats cool. I had the privileged of meeting Leonard Robinson, a survivor of the Bataan March, this summer at Wyoming Boys State and it was the same way. These heroes need to be treated the way they deserve and not forgotten about.

Cascades236
03-23-10, 15:31

Impressive these days is a rapper who flashes a gang sign on the cover of Rolling Stone, or someone who can repeatedly put a ball thru a hoop. Those people make millions upon millions of dollars while our warriors fight the good fight and can sometimes barely make ends meet.

dmanflynn
03-23-10, 20:09
Impressive these days is a rapper who flashes a gang sign on the cover of Rolling Stone, or someone who can repeatedly put a ball thru a hoop. Those people make millions upon millions of dollars while our warriors fight the good fight and can sometimes barely make ends meet.

While I hate to admit it this is so true unfortunately. I am proud to admit though Im a rebel in my age group.:D ( or try to be )

jafount
03-24-10, 00:02
That's a great story. Truly the greatest generation. I lost my grandfather in 2002. He was part of that generation and a Pearl harbor survivor. When he passed a military honor guard was sent to see him off. It was a very humbling experience. I've seen BoB a dozen times and I never get tired of it. As a retired LEO, I've seen some nasty things, but they aren't even a blip on the radar compared to what those men experienced.

Thanks for posting that experience.

NCPolice555
03-24-10, 01:04
Wow! I would give anything to spend some time with one of these heros. What an honor. I to have several of the book biographys from those who served in Easy. My dream vacation would to visit that mapped area where that all took place. I will not let these heros be forgotten for their honorable service, our state of govt. may be on a downward slide, but wht they have done I refuse to let be forgotten