PDA

View Full Version : MIM Parts in Colt 1911 Replica

brushy bill
03-12-10, 22:32
Read awhile back that Colt began putting limited MIM parts in their 1911s.

Does anyone know with certainty which parts those would be in the first release 1911 Replica?

Thanks for your time as always.

CAVDOC
03-13-10, 09:06
I think you may have been misinformed. no MIM parts in colts that I know of, and the 1911 replicas I have examined do not show evidence of any MIM

Dos Cylindros
03-13-10, 10:29
The sear and disconnector are MIM, call Colt they will tell you. I recently purchased at 1918 WW1 repro which I sent to MARS Armament for a custom build. Steve Morrison (the smith) told me these parts were MIM, which is why they are being replaced on my build.

All things being equal, I would not be too concerned about MIM parts as long as it is a reputable maker. Springfield does a good job with the MIM they use, as does Colt. Kimber on the other hand..............

Dave Berryhill
03-13-10, 10:32
Colt has been using MIM sears since before anyone knew what MIM was. I think they have used disconnectors and mag catches that are MIM too but I don't know if they are currently using these.

brushy bill
03-13-10, 13:44
Thanks! Sear, disconnector, and mag catch. Just a few parts to replace.

MarshallDodge
03-13-10, 14:04
Colt was using MIM extractors for a short while but I think they quit after some breakage issues.

Alpha Sierra
03-13-10, 16:54
S&W MIM parts, at least their revolver fire control parts, are of top quality and tough as nails.

I have no experience with others.

But my MIM/two-piece barrel Model 65-8 has a trigger pull to die for and is rock solid reliable. At 5200 rounds, it's just starting to break in.

MarshallDodge
03-14-10, 12:40
S&W MIM parts, at least their revolver fire control parts, are of top quality and tough as nails.

I have no experience with others.

But my MIM/two-piece barrel Model 65-8 has a trigger pull to die for and is rock solid reliable. At 5200 rounds, it's just starting to break in.
That is my experience with MIM as well. Just like any parts, there is good and bad.

CAVDOC
03-14-10, 16:31
wow learn something new every day did not know some colt internals are mim- I my self would just shoot the thing till it breaks then replace- would be a good thing for someone with a new colt to do (hint hint) to see how truly durable (or not) mim parts are

mayonaise
03-14-10, 16:54
MIM parts that are going to fail, usually fail early in service. At least that's been my experience and from what I've seen. I have a Kimber 1911 that is 10 years old and has 25K plus through it. None of the MIM parts have broken except one extractor and I can't blame that on it being a MIM part. Just worn out.

I can see the advantage of better quality parts for a hard use gun. Especially a fighting gun.

Alpha Sierra
03-14-10, 17:44
MIM parts that are going to fail, usually fail early in service. At least that's been my experience and from what I've seen. I have a Kimber 1911 that is 10 years old and has 25K plus through it. None of the MIM parts have broken except one extractor and I can't blame that on it being a MIM part. Just worn out.

I can see the advantage of better quality parts for a hard use gun. Especially a fighting gun.

25K rounds with just a broken extractor? How much better than that is necessary in a fighting pistol?