PDA

View Full Version : convert M&P to manual safety version?

chadbag
03-14-10, 13:57
Is it possible and easy to convert an M&P to the manual safety version?

I have a FS M&P9 with no manual safety, no magazine lock and no internal lock.

I was installing the Apex sear and after taking out the sear block and see the stopper in the safety hole and the hole in the sear block, I was wondering if it is just a matter of getting a few parts and sticking them in to get a manual safety.

I would like a manual safety gun for AIWB and SmartCarry use but can't afford to buy a new gun at the moment.

sevin8nin
03-14-10, 14:33
negative it is not possible.
Well, I've heard this question come up a lot and the general consensus has been that it can't be done. Now, that's not really to say that it CAN'T be done, because i believe people can do just about anything. But, you'll likely be looking at a lot of modifications to your gun, and there goes your warranty, and if you ever had an AD because of your modifications then you're in real trouble.

Erik 1
03-14-10, 14:44
The frame of the manual safety gun is notched to allow the safety to travel. So, at the least, you would have to notch the frame. Beyond that, I don't know if the safety would just drop in on a non-safety gun or if you'd have to purchase a new sear assembly.

jst0915
03-14-10, 16:04
I had the same question and called S&W about it. S&W said that unless its a M&P45 it is not possible.

MarshallDodge
03-14-10, 19:10
I asked on here last year and got the same answer- no can do. If you find out anything different then I would be curious to hear the outcome.

awmp
03-14-10, 21:29
Only thing you can do is buy another M&P with a stock thumb safety, that is what I did.

chadbag
03-14-10, 22:32
Guess I will have to save some and convince the better half this year sometime...

Thanks all!

ralph
03-14-10, 22:43
To the OP;
One thing you CAN do, is find a shop that has a M&P with the saftey levers, and look them over, and try them out..Unless things have changed, the saftey levers on the M&P series of pistols will engage/disengage very easily, easily enough that if you were carrying with the saftey on, merely bumping it into something could bump the saftey lever off...They are dissapointing to say the least...I bought frame plugs for my Mid sized.45 and removed them.. I did manage to cure the easy engage/disengage problem by simply deepening the engagement notches on the saftey levers with a round jewlers file. This resulted in a postive "snap" in either mode. Before I modifed the levers, I could easily move the levers with my little finger,there was little resistance. Still, the levers themselves are shaped like oars..they need cut down in width, and really do nothing but add to the overall width of the pistol. If you have the Apex sear and FPB installed and are worried about a NG, maybe buying the stronger trigger bar spring and stronger sear spring would be the ticket...As they come from the factory, the saftey levers are useless...

Gewehr3
03-15-10, 00:12
I experienced this same problem. The safeties disengage way too easily to be relied on.

DocGKR
03-15-10, 00:23
It is far easier to convert an ambi-safety M&P to one without a safety than the vice versa. However, at our recent M&P Armorer class, one of the pistols S&W had there was an early M&P ambi prototype that had been converted from a non-safety pistol back at the factory. A notch was cut in the frame, the sear housing block assembly changed, along with the addition of the ambi safety lever.

I personally have no issues with the safeties; as noted, the notches can be deepened as needed to make engagement more positive if desired.

AJSully421
08-14-10, 15:38
Sorry to resurrect your thread.

It can be done. As said above, you have to get the entire sear housing block for the manual safety model, you then have to get all of the small parts (safety lever, detent, spring...)

Then you have to cut corresponding holes in your frame for the safety lever.

As has been said, warranty is out the window, and may God help you if it ADs... but it can be done.