PDA

View Full Version : Two battery positions for aimpoint comp m4s

MookNW
03-14-10, 15:28
Does anyone have any experience with this option. Up or down? Pros cons?

payj
03-14-10, 15:51
I own the M4s. Reason I went with that one are as follows:

-Battery compartment lower so it stays out of your fov.

-If you drop your rifle with with the other model, the first point of contact will be the battery compartment. While that battery compartment is strong as hell, the 30mm housing of the optic is much stronger, which is where is will land first with the M4s. Protecting your battery compartment.

-Less prone to snag imo.

-Army uses M4s due to reason due to the fov issue. (others reasons too maybe?)

-Personal opinion. I like the switch lower. If I have to mess with the brightness I don't have to reach as high. Its more convenient to me.

-Personal opinion. Its a more streamline look.

hope this helps. :)

MookNW
03-14-10, 16:06
Thank, very helpful. Stupid question, but fov = field of vision?

payj
03-14-10, 16:53
field of view.

field of vision works too.

glad I could help :)

gunnut284
03-14-10, 21:44
I own the M4s. Reason I went with that one are as follows:

-Battery compartment lower so it stays out of your fov.

-If you drop your rifle with with the other model, the first point of contact will be the battery compartment. While that battery compartment is strong as hell, the 30mm housing of the optic is much stronger, which is where is will land first with the M4s. Protecting your battery compartment.

-Less prone to snag imo.

-Army uses M4s due to reason due to the fov issue. (others reasons too maybe?)

-Personal opinion. I like the switch lower. If I have to mess with the brightness I don't have to reach as high. Its more convenient to me.

-Personal opinion. Its a more streamline look.

hope this helps. :)

I also have a M4s and chose it over the M4 for the same reasons.

USMC03
03-14-10, 22:09
Wrote this in another thread, you may find the info useful if you plan on using a 3x magnifier.

Agreed on the excellent work! Thanks USMC03.

As I have noted in a separate thread an M4s is an option that I am considering along with a 3x magnifier.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=41307

I never saw an answer: Does the reversing of the LaRue mount work to resolve the gap issue?

Also, considering that a 3x magnifier would eventually be added to the mix, is the M4 preferable over the M4s?

I'd prefer the M4s with its lower profile but if mounting and access to switch are going to be hindered I'm thinking that the straight M4 would be better.

Urban Runner,

In February of 2008 I wrote a review on the Aimpoint 3x Magnifier. As a result of that review some shooters reported having no issues with the magnifier, while others reported having issues with the magnifier causing dot distortion, and one or two shooters even reported seeing two separate dots that were touching and looked like a figure 8.

A couple months later I reported trying the Aimpoint 3x Magnifier with the ML2, ML3, Comp M4, M4S, and T1 Micro. Through trial and error I found that the closer you could get the 3x Magnifier to the Aimpoint the crisper the dot was, and the better the sight picture looked. I don’t know why the sight picture looked better, it’s something that I can’t articulate.

During this same time frame (April / May 2008) I had purchased several Aimpoint Micro T1 red dot sights and LaRue Tactical Aimpoint T1 mounts. With the LaRue Tactical Aimpoint T1 mount, the throw lever is on the same side of the upper receiver as the ejection port (right side of the receiver), with the throw lever pointing to the rear. From past experience I knew it was the throw lever on the Aimpoint T1 mount that was interfering with getting the LaRue 3x Magnifier mount one space closer on the upper receiver to the Aimpoint Micro T1.

While mounting a Aimpoint Micro T1 onto the LaRue Aimpoint T1 mount I decided to turn the LaRue Aimpoint T1 mount around 180 degrees so that the throw lever was on the left side of the upper receiver and pointing forward. After attaching the Aimpoint Micro T1 to the LaRue mount and mounting the Aimpoint Micro T1 on the upper, I was able to get the Aimpoint 3x Magnifier butted up against the T1. Thus making the dot crisper and providing a better sight picture.

I posted this info on the original review on another board over a year ago.

http://www.03designgroup.com/img/3xt1.jpg
03designgroup | Getting the 3x Magnifier closer to the Aimpoint Micro T1 http://demigodllc.com/icon/extwh3.png (http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/aimpoint-3x-magnifier-with-t1-larue) <----- click the link for more info on getting the 3x Magnifier closer to the Micro T1

Found a reply here in Sept of 2008:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=213338&postcount=29

********************************************************************************************************************************************

Aimpoint M4 = battery box at the 1 o'clock position
Aimpoint M4S = battery box at the 5 o'clock position

The Aimpoint 3x magnifier butts right up against the Aimpoint M4 because the M4 mount doesn't interfer with the 3x magnifier and the battery box on the Aimpoint M4 (located at 1 o'clock) doesn't interfer with the 3x magnifer mount:
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/USMC03_photos/Noveske%20N4/IMG_0266-1.jpg?t=1210641090

Often times on the internet things get regergitatied several times and guys don't understand the how's or why's behind things. I have seen several guys recommending turining the mount around on the M4S in order to get the 3x magnifier closer to the M4S.

The LaRue throw lever mount on the M4S has nothing to do with getting the magnifier as close as possible to the M4S. The problem with the M4S is the batter box is located at the 5 o'clock position, and the batter box is in the same position as the pivot point on the LaRue 3x Magnifier mount.

If you are a left handed shooter, this is a non issue, because you have the LaRue 3x magnifier mount turned around 180 degrees (throw lever for the magnifier mount will be on the ejection port side of the gun, and the pivot part of the mount is on the left side of the gun and won't interfer with the battery box of the M4S). If the 3x magnifier mount is set up for a left handed shooter, you can get the 3x magnifier as close to the M4S as the 3x magnifier and M4 pictured above.

Aimpoint 3x magnifier with Aimpoint M4S. Note how the pivot portion of the 3x magnifier mount is located in the the same area as the battery box on the M4S. The battery box / pivot location is the issue with this set up, not the mount on the M4S. Hopefully this pic will give you a better visual:
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/USMC03_photos/FDE%20LMT/DPP_0030.jpg

Hope this information helps

Take care and be safe

trg42
03-15-10, 09:00
Does anyone have any experience with this option. Up or down? Pros cons?

As already mentioned, although the M4S cannot be mounted as close to a 3X mag in Larue pivot, this is not really an issue . I don't notice any difference compared to when I had a M4/M3 / M2 etc mounted closer. All aimpoint dots don't look super sharp with my crappy eyes. For some reason my Tri-Power looks sharp....great with 3X mag. This may or may not be an issue for you

No problem adjusting brightness with Larue 3X and M4S

I prefer the S with the battery compartment low down and out of the way