PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Noveske switchblock?

jakjakman
03-14-10, 18:34
I seem to be having some trouble with two separate rifles, both with Noveske switchblocks. One is a 12.5" and the other is 18". The 18" rifle works fine in normal mode without a suppressor, but in suppressed mode with an AAC SPR/M4 it jams up about one in ten rounds. It's a failure to feed where the bolt over-rides the back edge of the case and jams with the round half in the chamber and two huge dents in the brass where the lugs dug into it. It only does this with the switchblock in suppressed mode with the suppressor attached. In normal mode with or without the suppressor there are no problems.

The 12.5" has the same types of cycling problems, but they happen more often. In fact, it won't cycle wolf or silver bear at all in normal w/o the suppressor, and has trouble in suppressed mode with the suppressor. It's the same kind of bolt over-ride failure which will either totally jack up the next round with two huge dents, or it will eject the spent case and close without picking up the next round at all. It seems to do better with some M193 which should be higher pressure; and this rifle also does fine with the normal setting with suppressor.

So what I'm thinking is that the switchblock isn't giving enough gas back to cycle things properly. Has anyone else had the same problems?

MikeCLeonard
03-14-10, 18:57
I haven't heard of this being a common issue with switchblock uppers. Is it a factory upper or did you use the bolt-on Switchblock with an existing rifle?

I would agree that it sounds like you're not getting enough gas. Have any LMT enhanced carriers on hand? That may help.

Robb Jensen
03-14-10, 19:02
I agree it sounds like it's short stroking on the suppressed setting.

jakjakman
03-14-10, 19:18
Is it a factory upper or did you use the bolt-on Switchblock with an existing rifle?

The 18" is a complete Noveske Rifle. The 12.5" upper was assembled from parts by ADCO, but the barrel/switchblock was the Noveske 12.5" stainless with the switchblock included like this one: http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=b-125-556-sb1&cat=86&page=1&search=&since=&status=

Ratfink
03-14-10, 20:18
i am using a 14.5 afghan with a switchblock and the acc blackout flash hider i have zero problems with it and im at about 4000 rounds 2000 of them being suppressed on the suppressed setting using an acc suppressior give noveske a call there great to work with they will fix your problem mine runs great

jakjakman
03-17-10, 13:06
After cleaning my 18" rifle I noticed a carbon streak coming back along one side of the barrel behind the flash hider. I'm wondering if the suppressor is leaking enough gas out the back that it's not providing enough back pressure to cycle the rifle correctly.

Anyway, I'll try things out again this weekend to get a bit more data and then email Noveske.