PDA

View Full Version : New at this...help me get started (Suppressor ?'s)

Scott2501
03-15-10, 09:02
Hey everyone,

I am looking to mount a suppressor to my AR. I am new to this, and had some questions I'm hoping to get answered as I start down this path. Yes, I have read the stickies.

Some info about my needs/what I have:

I would only use the suppressor for my AR, so I don't need interchangeability, but I do want to be able to take the suppressor on and off easily.

I am currently using a PWS TTO Compensator - not sure if I will have to scrap this, or if I will still be able to use it depending on which supressor I choose.

I have a 16" rifle with 12" rails. It is a BCM midlength gas system. I want to be sure a supressor will fit, and I don't want to add too much to overall length if I can help it.

My budget is under $1,000. So, $200 for the stamp, leaves me about $500-800 for the suppressor.

My questions:
Based on my rifle, do you see any issues with using a suppressor? - i.e. barrel/rail length, gas system, etc.

Given the things important to me (Performance, Quick Detach, Overall Length, and Price), what would you recommend?

I got great info from this site to help me build a rifle I am very happy with. Now I'm relying on you guys again to get a suppressor picked out. After I nail down what I want, I'll dive into the paperwork part of obtaining one.

Thanks for your help! Here is a pic of the rifle in question:

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/2918/arleftside.jpg

03-15-10, 10:35
What do you see your main use for the suppressor?

Scott2501
03-15-10, 10:44
What do you see your main use for the suppressor?

While it will be nice to make things a little quieter at the range, my main concern is to be able to shoot around my house without bothering the neighbors.

I have room around my place to shoot, but we do have some neighbors that can get a little bothered about shooting close by.

I don't pretend to "need" it. Mostly just for fun, and to have the option to quiet things down a little bit.

RictusGrin
03-16-10, 19:45
Based on what you have said so far it doesn't sound like you are looking for the extra couple dB you might get from a longer reflex-type can, nor do you want a ~3" flash hider/mount to accommodate one, but you want convenient installation/removal of the suppressor.

I can't speak on many 5.56mm cans, but I have used the KAC M4QD (QDSS-NT4) and Ops. 12th model extensively. I also own three AAC M4-2000s. As such, my suggestion would be to go with a suppressor which mounts to a flash hider, preferably one made specifically for the suppressor in question.

Avoid the thread-on cans for sure. They are not convenient to remove (one of your stipulations) and they leave you without an installed muzzle device when you do remove them. This is also an issue when mounting it on another rifle. Also, I suggest a smaller, lighter can. If you're not looking for every last dB of sound suppression you can save a lot in those departments and have a handier rifle in the end. This is not to say that you can't have an extremely quiet rifle just the same, but you may pay more for the marginal improvements in sound suppression.

Aside from that, let price be your guide. I still suggest not going cheap. Cans don't have good resale value and it is likely to be yours for life, so get what you really want the first time.

beavo451
03-17-10, 11:42
My suggestion for a rifle as nice as yours, you should get an AAC SPR/M4 (http://advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=62). Great suppression. Since you have barrel space to spare, the mount "reflexes" back over the barrel about 2.5". The suppressor slides over it. I know it is over budget, but you should save up the little extra for it.

Based on what you have said so far it doesn't sound like you are looking for the extra couple dB you might get from a longer reflex-type can, nor do you want a ~3" flash hider/mount to accommodate one, but you want convenient installation/removal of the suppressor.

:confused: The MITER Blackout reflexes back over the barrel and does not add 3" to the rifle. In fact, according to the AAC website, the SPR/M4 MITER Blackout adds less to the overall length than the 51T Blackout. Also, the SPR/M4 suppressor adds less to the overall length than the M42K. If you have the barrel space for it, the SPR/M4 is better than the M42K.

RictusGrin
03-17-10, 12:34
My suggestion for a rifle as nice as yours, you should get an AAC SPR/M4 (http://advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=62). Great suppression. Since you have barrel space to spare, the mount "reflexes" back over the barrel about 2.5". The suppressor slides over it. I know it is over budget, but you should save up the little extra for it.

:confused: The MITER Blackout reflexes back over the barrel and does not add 3" to the rifle. In fact, according to the AAC website, the SPR/M4 MITER Blackout adds less to the overall length than the 51T Blackout. Also, the SPR/M4 suppressor adds less to the overall length than the M42K. If you have the barrel space for it, the SPR/M4 is better than the M42K.

Since you focus on the M.I.T.E.R., how portable is the SPR/M4 from rifle to rifle? That would be my point. If it's shorter, so be it. It also depends on what you want to see when you remove the can and which other rifles you wish to suppress with the same device based on tube length and barrel profile.

As for other differences, the Ops 12th Model is long, heavy and rides over the barrel. This is fine if you want all your rifles set up for such a can, otherwise not so much. It wouldn't work for me.

OAL of the suppressor is important to me, as it its ability to fit several applications. It's just advice given from an individual perspective. YMMV.

beavo451
03-17-10, 13:09
Since you focus on the M.I.T.E.R., how portable is the SPR/M4 from rifle to rifle? That would be my point. If it's shorter, so be it. It also depends on what you want to see when you remove the can and which other rifles you wish to suppress with the same device based on tube length and barrel profile.

As for other differences, the Ops 12th Model is long, heavy and rides over the barrel. This is fine if you want all your rifles set up for such a can, otherwise not so much. It wouldn't work for me.

OAL of the suppressor is important to me, as it its ability to fit several applications. It's just advice given from an individual perspective. YMMV.

The OP stated that this is the only rifle he will use the can on......

It is just as "portable" as the M42K is. Both have proprietary mounts. The SPR/M4 just requires some clear barrel space. You can use it all the way down to a 12.5" barrel.

SPR/M4 is less than an ounce heavier than the M42K.

RictusGrin
03-17-10, 13:32
The OP stated that this is the only rifle he will use the can on......

I had that idea at one point, myself. Now, neither SBR of mine will accept the SPR/M4 and the next build won't, either. Sure, I ended up buying more anyway, but I had the cash to spend and it wasn't a problem. Generally speaking, it is an issue and some folks aren't going to find themselves in a position to buy a bunch of cans.

If I had gone with that can to begin with I would have been stuck buying another can or building differently than I would have liked. In retrospect, the M4-2K was the right option in my situation and I wouldn't do it differently for a couple additional dB of suppression. That's my perspective.

The information is out there at this point. Everyone makes a choice as to what is "better" based on their own subjective needs. It's all opinion and an "eye of the beholder" kind of thing.