PDA

View Full Version : flashlight market

woody d
03-15-10, 09:28
am i the only one that feels like as soon as you buy a light there is a "new and improved" model making yours obsolete? i currently have four lights in my house i use for various uses....a 4 D-cell Maglite that i converted to LED for my general use. i have 3 Surefires an E2D i carry, a E1e i carry when i want to be discreet and drop it in my pocket, and a 9P thats my "bump in the night light" i keep beside my bed with my Glock. i ve had all of them for at least 2 years now and theyve proven to be utterly reliable, but at times i read what you all are using and i feel like im in the "dark ages":p....my woman hates what they cost, but realizes you get what you pay for. im looking to get something new...Surefire and LED for carry. any suggestions? thanks ahead of time, Woody

sonrider657
03-15-10, 17:09
Good review on a new light here (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1940)

tracker722
03-15-10, 18:59

markm
03-15-10, 19:15
I hear what you're saying. I tune out all the noise on the latest lights and electronics for the most part.

I specifically sat on the sidelines while the LED technology developed. I try to leap frog generations of gear evolutions to keep more of my money in my account and
out of the dealers'.

If what you have works reliably, then screw it. :cool:

msap
03-20-10, 14:51
I wouldn't sweat it. If your lights are reliable and get the job done, then who cares about the latest and greatest. Most guys that seem to care about the newest, brightest, strobe this, double click that 100 levels of brightness blah blah blah light are guys that don't even use their lights for anything important. They use them for hunting white walls, taking the trash out, walking the doggy.

I buy new lights out of necessity. I just bought a few new lights over the last few months and they should serve me till the end of my career.

woody d
04-05-10, 08:49
well i broke down and did it... i have an E1L Outdoorsman LED on the way, and it should be here by wednesday. it will be my fourth Surefire, but my first LED model. i also snagged some batteries, a spare lamp for both my E2D and my E1e, so im looking forward to the Brown truck to be showing up soon.
oh yeah, i also threw in a Becker Necker simply because i dont have that Becker model. i already have a Benchmade neck knife, but i figured WTH. now if i can only coordinate the delivery with the wifes work schedule:D

tracker722
04-05-10, 11:04

woody d
04-05-10, 11:49
Let me guess, when she finally sees it, (provided she is not home when the brown bird takes a dump), you will say "Oh this? I've had it a while, you just haven't seen it." Classic answer around here.Bingo buddy:D

woody d
04-06-10, 07:55
Brown bus is to be here tomorrow!!!!!!!

woody d
04-08-10, 16:04
i got the new Surefire and it is a nice package with plenty of lumens, compact size, and i really like the dual output option. after playing with it last night, it got rotated right into my EDC http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad332/quietriot_albums/Pockets.jpg

orionz06
04-08-10, 21:08
If you are waiting for the latest and greatest you will never be happy, buy what meets your needs and fits your budget. If one is not available, consider the needs and budget and try again. You will find yourself more content with a purchase this way.

rob_s
04-09-10, 05:36
The light market is driven by the geeks, not the users (although some, few, are both). Brighter, more "modes", etc.

At my house a 6p with red filter is by my bed, and a 3p is next to the front door. I have two G2s in the truck. ;)

woody d
04-09-10, 07:04
i will say that the low lumen setting first click is a nice option when you get up in the middle of the night to use the can. ive blinded myself with the 9P way too many times.

padwan
04-10-10, 05:17
Nice light. Tracker 772 and Rob S give good advice.

For my part, I switched over to LED once Sure Fire decided the technology was mature enough to go into their products. The ones I have are the simpler models in their catalog - a bunch of G2L's and an L1. They have all the illumination I need for my requirements and I don't have to keep spare bulbs in stock.

Do I want any of the newer lights in SF's catalog? Of course I do. But what I have serves me well right now. It would be great though, if Sure Fire releases some AA powered lights as good 123's are not always readily available for people outside CONUS. I think they showed a 2AA Outdoorsman at SHOT 2010 but none of the dealers in my area have one yet.

Meanwhile I'm playing with a Fenix LD20. It isn't meant to replace any of my Sure Fires. If it proves reliable after a year, I may get a couple more to replace ye old Mini Mag Lites that I keep in my desks at home and work.

If the lights fit your illumination requirements and logistical realities, then by all means, use them in good health.