PDA

View Full Version : opinions on yankee hill?

nolacola
03-15-10, 09:56
Hey guys, I'm new to the AR world and am trying to do things right. I've been spending a few weeks just reading and learning so I have a good idea of what I'm getting into and knowing what to spend my money on. That being said I spotted this rifle at the local gun shop yesterday and was curious to get some more info on the quality of it. I've seen YHM mentioned for other parts but I couldn't really find much info on the quality of their rifles. I could pick it up for $1200.

http://yankeehillmachine.com/store/product443.html

bkb0000
03-15-10, 09:59
there is absolutely nothing worth $1200 about that weapon.. the only reason they think they can get away with chargine $1200 for it is because of that crappy handguard they have on it- and YHM handguards are pretty bottom of the barrel.

if you're smart about it, you can get a battlefield-ready weapon WITH railed handguard of good quality for not much more. keep reading.. and stick to m4carbine.net ;)

03-15-10, 10:28
Better choices out there. Colt,BCM, and DD just for starters. All are in the ballpark as far as price. All are better quality.

Abraxas
03-15-10, 10:33
Better choices out there. Colt,BCM, and DD just for starters. All are in the ballpark as far as price. All are better quality.

This is absolutely correct.

nolacola
03-15-10, 10:33
Ok, thanks guys. I had originally planned to go with BCM from what I've read here and I'll stick with it.

Robb Jensen
03-15-10, 11:54
YHM = good quality but heavier and bigger than more expensive stuff.

rob_s
03-15-10, 12:02

I would be inclined to agree where their individual parts are concerned, but their complete rifles combine a suspect base gun with a lot of that "big heavy" for prices that tend to be higher than they should.

I'm of the opinion that one is better served with a high quality base firearm and standard plastic furniture than a suspect base gun covered in big heavy parts.

JonnyVain
03-15-10, 12:05

This is always important to take into account when you purchase a rail. They have their own heavy rail on it, but then do expensive fluting on the barrel to lighten things up. Get a rail like a Troy or DD etc and you won't have to flute the barrel because it will be light enough.

All that said, I should weigh my carbine when I get a chance.

Robb Jensen
03-15-10, 12:07
I would be inclined to agree where their individual parts are concerned

I agree, that's what I meant but didn't think about their complete guns.

mmike87
03-15-10, 20:12
Ok, thanks guys. I had originally planned to go with BCM from what I've read here and I'll stick with it.

I don't think anyone has been told they made a poor choice with a BCM product.

justin_247
03-16-10, 02:06
Run away from that site immediately and buy this (https://policeguns.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=6444&osCsid=hsf23obh5q45q8vcbgnodjv9e1) instead!

Spending $1179 for a Daniel Defense M4 is a lot better way to spend $1200.

bkb0000
03-16-10, 02:19
Run away from that site immediately and buy this (https://policeguns.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=6444&osCsid=hsf23obh5q45q8vcbgnodjv9e1) instead!

Spending $1179 for a Daniel Defense M4 is a lot better way to spend $1200.

requires a login

crazymoose
03-16-10, 02:19
When it comes to YHM, I've had very good luck with their Phantom flash suppressors, and their low-profile gas blocks. Their rails are decent enough, but I'd like a more secure mounting method.

Lee Indy
03-16-10, 03:27
small parts id take a yankee hill anyday. i have a sight set and a flash hider. there rails are not worth it tho. there pretty porky.

justin_247
03-16-10, 07:32
requires a login

Weird... somehow the link changed when I pasted it. Anyways, Clyde Armory is selling DDM4s and DDM4v2s for $1179.

REL1203
03-17-10, 08:00
Weird... somehow the link changed when I pasted it. Anyways, Clyde Armory is selling DDM4s and DDM4v2s for $1179.

Thats a nice price... Only thing I am not a fan of is the front Iron sight, is that removable?

Also, on that site, can Non-LOE, non-Military order from them (shipped to FFL of coarse)?

justin_247
03-17-10, 08:48
Thats a nice price... Only thing I am not a fan of is the front Iron sight, is that removable?

Absolutely! Thinking of replacing it with a folding FSB?

Also, on that site, can Non-LOE, non-Military order from them (shipped to FFL of coarse)?

Yes, you most certainly can. Give them a call and they'll answer any questions you may have.

REL1203
03-17-10, 19:35
Absolutely! Thinking of replacing it with a folding FSB?

Yes, you most certainly can. Give them a call and they'll answer any questions you may have.

Sweet... Talked to them in email.. Cant seem to find a better price anywhere on that model. Might be my next purchase in a week