PDA

View Full Version : Having second thoughts

mfast10
03-15-10, 10:43
I had this plan in my head about buying my first AR and now I am having second thoughts. The plan was this:

Plan:
Stag lower (local shop): $99.99+fees/taxes
G & R LPK: $82.00+ shipping
MOE stock w/ mil-spec stock kit: $134.85
Ergo sure grip: $19.95
Total: $336.79 + fees/taxes

I started thinking and realized if I just use G&R's DD lower then have Grant build it for me it will be $371.00 plus shipping and transfer. Now I don't have any tools like brass punches or a wrench for the castle nut plus so I will have to buy those & the DD lower will be done by a professional. Should I go this route for my first AR then build for my second? I am planning on topping this with a BCM 16" mid-length upper. My plan for this AR is mainly for a range/fun gun along with what I call a hurricane gun. Any more SHTF than that am I am up the creek w/o a paddle ;).

Abraxas
03-15-10, 10:46
Were I you, I would go with the DD lower from Grant. Much better value.

tip2oo3
03-15-10, 10:51
I second that, the tools or sevices alone make Grant's offer a great deal.

michschi
03-15-10, 11:53
+1 for Grant

docsherm
03-15-10, 12:09
I like to build mine because I KNOW that I am going to put that little extra effort into it. I also know what I am doing when I build. If this is your first I would say go with one that is already put together, that way you can get more familiar with the system.

JonnyVain
03-15-10, 12:11
I will recommend the Spikes ST-T2 buffer. I shot mine for the first time yesterday. It removes that bouncing around you get from the buffer. It just goes back and forth with a really tight movement. And I don't think it costs much more at all than a standard buffer (but I can't remember the comparison in price).

Stag's good. They make a very tight lower. I like the fact that my white oak upper doesn't move at all, but my 'M' Pmags don't drop free.

For the price I'd go with Grant to, if only for simplicity's sake.

Belmont31R
03-15-10, 12:13
You can also get an LMT basic lower for ~$350.

bubba04
03-15-10, 12:22
I would either get a DD lower from grant or a complete lower by BCM from grant.

JonnyVain
03-15-10, 12:38
I'm assuming 'Grant' is the guy named Grant on this forum who's an industry professional or something. What shop does he run?

chadbag
03-15-10, 12:40
I'm assuming 'Grant' is the guy named Grant on this forum who's an industry professional or something. What shop does he run?

Grant runs G&R Tactical

grtactical.com

His forum name is C4IGrant

phx223
03-15-10, 13:30
The stag is local, where you would have to transfer the dd by grant through a FFL in your area. For me it would be much better to buy a lower local as my cheapest FFL is 50 dollars, vs 10 in taxes and 10 in state police fee.

Take the difference in cost (for me it would be 65 dollars) and use it to buy your tools, especially if you are going to build another one down the road. Of course if you perfer the dd roll mark over the stag that is a different story all together.