PDA

View Full Version : any feedback on beamshot lasers???

motorolahamm
03-15-10, 11:10
Just wondering if anyone uses one ? how good they are built , hold zero etc.???

was looking at this one says it is U.S> govt issue but not sure ,

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/new-us-govt-issue-beamshot-tactical-gb800-green-laser-sight-matte-black.aspx?a=606306

thanks guys

JSantoro
03-15-10, 14:31
There's gotta be some sort of modifier to the "US-gov't issue" thing. Maybe a batch of bid-samples that were looked at and discarded to be sold off? I've never seen one of those before, though I'm not omniscient, however I might delude myself.

(woefully incomplete) specs @ bottom of page: http://www.beamshot.com/laser_sight_gb800m.html

Beam divergence (angle of the beam, affects the size of the dot at given distance) is pretty damned big. Actually, it's gigantic. 2" @ 30yds? Mother of god, maybe in the days when Real Genius was being made, but it's the 21st Century. No reason at all that should be any bigger than .75" at that distance.

The whole thing is full-retard-big for a single-laser system. If you're using it on a pistol, who makes holsters that'll fit that thing? If on a rifle rail, that thing sticks way out, which will make knowing your holds before and after your zero distance difficult to know and judge, not to mention snag hazard.

Trigger mechanism is a dicey setup, even compared to a rocker switch.

They SAY it's a Class 3a system (that's the OLD designation, current is Class 3R), which means it's not eye-safe within a certain distance (Nominal Ocular Hazard Distance, or NOHD) and that the NOHD should be listed in the specs.

If price is your focus of effort, can't argue it. For that price, call the manufacturer (NOT the distributor) and ask some questions.

WHICH gov't agency did it come from, does it have an NSN/cage code/TAM # you can use to verify that?

WHAT is the NOHD? If they answer with any variation of "Hurrrrrrrrrrr, wut?" or otherwise don't know or outright refuse to answer, do not walk, RUN away from it. For all you know, it's made out of the trunk of an uncle's El Camino using Mini Maglite parts.

I wouldn't get it. Overall size, WAY too big. Beam divergence is retarded big. Shouldn't go cheap on things that emit radiation-boosted coherent light. Have you looked at Laser Devices, Surefire, Insight, Crimson Trace, and LaserMax? All reputable manufacturers. More $$$, sure, but they'll back their product on the off chance you end up having issues, they can VALIDLY claim their stuff being used by mil/LE in quantity, and have a proven track record of quality control.

motorolahamm
03-15-10, 14:55
thanks for the advice nice writeup . just trying to get peoples thoughts on this

SGTMAJ
03-16-10, 07:41
Riverine I believe the beamshot and Z bolt greens were purchased by the US ARMY REF as a one time buy before the memo about unauthorized lasers in theatre in OEF-II-3. I do not beleive they have been authorized for purchase since then . As you know just because a manufacturer sold some to a guy with a .mil e mail account they will say its some sort of mil spec lol

JSantoro
03-16-10, 09:41
Oh, gads, the Z-Bolt. That thing caused more trouble for us....

Makes sense, because those things got tossed around Iraq like confetti and used as a hand-held friendly hail-and-warning device. Shitty use for something that singes peepers, and they were the source for the lion's share of the laser-induced blindness cases in that time frame. Things've toned down since those went away.

So, hmph, the "gov't" portion is legit. I would not have bet money on that. Thanks for the heads-up!

motorolahamm
03-17-10, 15:20
thanks guys nice info always looking for opinions