PDA

View Full Version : Rechargeable Lithium 123

Mac5.56
03-15-10, 12:03
Don't know if this is the right location for this question, but since the batteries are a necessary accessory to an accessory I thought I would put this here.

I was wondering if any of you have experience with rechargeable Lithium 123 batteries? Is it worth trying to get a recharging set up, or to the batteries not hold a charge as long?

Byron
03-15-10, 12:58
Li-Ion cells will generally have a slightly lower overall capacity than lithium primaries in 123 and will operate at a higher voltage level. This latter point is the real kicker as you need to make sure that any 123 gear you own can tolerate the higher voltage.

Another point to consider is that quality li-ion cells should have over-discharge protection built in. This is good for saving the cell, but also means that your device will simply cut-out if you haven't been keeping up with charging. You might not get any warning that the cell is about to die.

Since RCR123 is common in the handheld flashlight world these days, a lot of makers build in appropriate voltage tolerance. Not so for other types of gear necessarily.

Some of the rechargeable cells, like LiFePO4, will operate at a lower voltage than traditional li-ion, but come at the cost of further diminished capacity.

If you have gear that meets the following criteria, I think li-ion is a worthwhile investment:
- Proper voltage tolerance
- Gear that you use (and check) often
- No major consequences in the event of a sudden dead battery

I carry li-ion in my EDC flashlight and just make sure that I'm constantly swapping out the cell for a topped off one. The cells hold their charge a long time and have a slow self-discharge rate, but I still play the 'better safe than sorry' game.

If I was going somewhere that my life depended on batteries, I would use high quality primaries rather than li-ion rechargeables.

Lee Indy
03-15-10, 13:49
if youre seriously interested in the dangerous world of li-on rechargeable cells you really should do alot of reading on the candlepowerforums. and depending on the light you might not be able to run them. primarys run 3.6v rcr123s run 4.2v if its a surefire just keep using primarys. if your running a better designed light that will take 18650 lion cells (2 cr123 size) at the higher voltage you can enjoy alot more run time with the right combination of cells and lights. my rifle mounted light gets 3hr at 228 lumens using an 18650 lion cell but only gets 1.7 hr using cr123 primarys.

Mac5.56
03-15-10, 17:42
O.K., so this thread has made me realize I am a lot more ignorant about my battery choice then I realized. I recently purchased an XPS too because it ran on the same batteries as my Surefire. How would I go about researching if the Eotech requires a lesser or greater voltage? All they mentioned in the manual was that it requires Lithium 123 batteries.

Byron
03-15-10, 19:15
I wouldn't put a li-ion in an optic (and that is coming from a guy who runs li-ion cells as much as possible). You could potentially fry a very expensive device and would most likely be out of warranty. Even if you got li-ion cells to work in the optic, there's the sudden-death nature of their power (as noted above).

Indy's advice is solid: if you are going to start powering 123 devices with li-ion cells, you should do a lot of research / reading. There are a number of dangers (both physical and to the device) that come into play.

Mac5.56
03-15-10, 22:25
I wouldn't put a li-ion in an optic (and that is coming from a guy who runs li-ion cells as much as possible). You could potentially fry a very expensive device and would most likely be out of warranty. Even if you got li-ion cells to work in the optic, there's the sudden-death nature of their power (as noted above).

Indy's advice is solid: if you are going to start powering 123 devices with li-ion cells, you should do a lot of research / reading. There are a number of dangers (both physical and to the device) that come into play.

Totally fair guys. Thank you so much for the heads up here. This is the reason I come here.

Are standard 123 batteries created equal in regards to voltage? I am assuming so as there is no mention beyond battery type in the optics manual.

edited to say I looked over all of my batteries (spares and all) and answered this question in regards to what I own (3v), but are there variations of what is on the market?

Byron
03-15-10, 22:44
The voltage of a cell is determined by its chemistry.

Simple answer: 123 lithium primaries will all be 3v cells. Don't sweat it.

Slightly more complicated answer: cells have higher voltage when they are full (whether one time use primaries or rechargeables). 123 cells aren't exactly 3v, but this is all factored safely into the equation. You can safely forget that you even read all this if you feel like it and just keep feeding your 123 devices standard 123 cells.

Believe me: you can read about batteries for hours (or days) on the internet. I've done it! And there is still a lot out there I don't know. A lot.

Mac5.56
03-15-10, 23:13
Well thanks for your time. You have no idea how much I have learned.

Lee Indy
03-16-10, 02:57
read this and then make your decision. going to lion cells was one of the smartest things money wize ive done. i use flashlights more than most people(avionics engineer) and it has saved me tons. there are rechargeable that stay at or below 3 volts but you need a different charger for those compared to the higher voltage ones. you know what just read this guys post on the CPF

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=235164

Vic303
03-16-10, 09:05
Here's a link to what CAN happen if you do not know what you are doing with RCR123 lithiums...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=262234

That said, there ARE lithium chemistry batteries that CANNOT explode...LiFePO4 for example.

Mac5.56
03-16-10, 10:40
Alright Vic303,

Before you came along I had a healthy respect for this subject, now you have officially placed the fear of god into my soul...;)

ToddG
03-16-10, 12:29
The 4Sevens 123s seem to be highly regarded and you can get fifty of them for less than $80 delivered. At that price, why bother with rechargeable?

Lee Indy
03-16-10, 13:03
battery life. run time. and extra brightness. are good reasons to use lithium ion cells. and you spend 80 bucks on 50 batteries. in my weapon light thats 3 dollars and 20 cents per battery change and only 90 minutes between changes.

my li-on 18650 cells are 10 bucks each and can be recharged 300+ times thats 3 cents per charge and 180 minutes between changes.

123's are spendy no matter how you look at it.