PDA

View Full Version : What is in your Garden this spring?

arbninftry
03-15-10, 14:42
So I sit here in a nice rainy day in El Paso thinking. What is your garden for this summer. I know climate dictates everything but if SHTF what is the back up source for the grocery store?

03-15-10, 15:47
Red lettuce and strawberries already in. Tomatoes, eggplant, corn, okra, beans, squash, cantaloupe, turnip greens, and pumpkins to follow. May grow some gourds this year as a test run. Gourds could come in handy in a SHTF scenario.

larry0071
03-15-10, 15:56
Snow.... as of now. It's almost all melted, and then in a month I'll ge to the brass-tacks about what will be growing!~

PA PATRIOT
03-16-10, 20:37
Started my seed pods just the other day so in six or seven weeks they will be ready for the garden.

Count Chocula
03-17-10, 01:42
Strawberries and blueberries doing good so far. My soil sucks and I have a pretty small garden. But thinking about corn, tomatoes, cucumbers, pumpkins and sunflowers. Cucumbers and pumpkins take a lot of room, but that is what the wife and kids want.

Nathan_Bell
03-17-10, 12:34
Not me, yet. Too damned much mud and ground is entirely too cold for germination.

As for what I know I will plant.

Taters
'maters
onions
peppers
squash
beans

woody d
03-18-10, 09:31
when it warms up it'll be the same as every year...tomatoes, potatoes, green beans, peas, cabbage, a couple rows of sweet corn, onions, cantaloupe, and a small pumpkin patch for my daughters

Cardiac Nurse
03-30-10, 07:50
corn in the ground already...more corn and tomatoes being prepped for the move outside in a few weeks

woody d
03-30-10, 10:18
ive got radishes planted as of yesterday

fixer
03-30-10, 21:04
cactus and rock.

QuietShootr
03-30-10, 21:31
I'm doing box gardens this year - easier to manage and care for.

I have started indoors:

Tomatoes (Roma, Big Boy, Big Beef)
Jalapenos
Habaneros
Bonnets
Bell peppers
Mint (for my mojitos)
Basil

Ready for outdoor planting:
Sweet corn
Potatoes
Carrots
Onions
Garlic
Watermelons
Zucchini
Acorn Squash
Romaine lettuce

And probably a couple of others I'm forgetting. If anyone's interested in the square foot gardening thing I'll put up a couple of links.

M4Fundi
03-31-10, 03:07
Dog Poo & Bunny Poo:p

01tundra
03-31-10, 12:02
We started one last year with -

corn
cucumbers
tomatoes
bell peppers
squash
lettuce

....rabbits enjoyed the lettuce in a hurry, corn took up way too much space, tomatoes didn't fair well.....ended up with so damn many cucumbers and squash we have a freezer full still. We started all our stuff inside and then transplanted.

This year we're adding more fertilizer, tilling, and trying again, this time we're ditching the corn and making room for onions and more tomatoes (hopefully). Everything is growing pretty good so far in the house, but who knows what will happen when we transplant it all. I know we need to fence it off, I just hate to have a fence up around it.

My experiment with the spare logs laying around has worked out well so far though.......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v419/01tundra/garden4-29-09-1.jpg

M4Fundi
03-31-10, 14:39
When I lived in MT I had a little lady from Church who I allowed to Garden in a section of my yard. She was a friggin artist! She knew all of these other non-edible plants that either worked somehow symbiotically with certain garden vegetables or that simply beautified the garden while not competing with the edibles. The garden looked more like a wild Eden than your usual organized crop rows. I wish I had got out and learned more from her:(

PA PATRIOT
03-31-10, 19:43
About 75% of the seeds I started in peat pots took so thats not a bad average and outdoor hardening and planting will begin soon. I hope to increase my total output from last year by 10% and barring any serious issues with weather there will be good eating summer on.

04-07-10, 17:18
Everything is growing well. Looking forward to fresh food. Pick it, wash it, eat it.

Cardiac Nurse
04-07-10, 17:24
tomatoes, peppers, onions and corn in the ground.....pollen all over everything and crazy temps this week...welcome spring

PA PATRIOT
04-08-10, 12:54
Same crazy weather here, 2nd week of April here in PA and I have my seedlings enjoying some outside sun time at 85+ degrees, hope this is not a preview of a burning/dry summer to come.

04-08-10, 13:07
Cardiac- Yep. Pollen worse than I've seen in a long time.

Cardiac Nurse
04-08-10, 14:59
Cardiac- Yep. Pollen worse than I've seen in a long time.

storms rolling through the area today but for us no rain so far just lots of wind and flying pollen :(

Nathan_Bell
04-10-10, 20:20
Kind of glad that I had mechanical issues past two weeks or I might have been tempted to put plants in the ground. After the crazy heavy frosts of the past two nights I would be back to square one, which is where I happen to be any way:p

Nathan_Bell
05-12-10, 11:03
Had a monster frost two days ago and highs in the 40's. Somedays I really hate Ohio weather.

Cardiac Nurse
05-12-10, 12:20
Blooms on tomato and pepper plants...volunteer tomato plants coming up as well...no rain. Having to water almost daily.

PA PATRIOT
05-17-10, 09:50
Just got my plants into the ground, I had a 85% seedling survival rate which is better then most years so the garden is fully planted. I have my drip hoses all set up and fed by the well pump. I also have new game fences up so the bunnies and the deer can't make a mid-night meal out of my garden. My fruit trees are looking real good and my attempt at honey bee keeping seems to be working out so far. If all works out to plan there will be a whole lot of canning this year which always keeps the wife happy and the food bill down.

05-17-10, 17:26
Phila- Like your last post. Sounds like you're on the right track all around. Canning, to me, seems essential. We like to put different veggies in the same jar for variety. Such as setting up jars with green peppers, red peppers, and banana peppers or peppers and beans, etc. Hope you're using Heirloom seeds in case SHTF so you can harvest your own seeds.

bkb0000
05-17-10, 17:33
dandelion, foxtail, a little wheat, plantain, quite a bit of crabgrass, thistle, and it seems we now have blackberry...

PA PATRIOT
05-17-10, 20:38
Phila- Like your last post. Sounds like you're on the right track all around. Canning, to me, seems essential. We like to put different veggies in the same jar for variety. Such as setting up jars with green peppers, red peppers, and banana peppers or peppers and beans, etc. Hope you're using Heirloom seeds in case SHTF so you can harvest your own seeds.

I only use Heirloom seeds thats the reason for the fluctuation in seedling germination and survival percentage. Sometimes the seeds of one season are a bit better then other seasons so I always Pete-pot 25% more seeds than needed to cover the failure rate.

Barbara
05-31-10, 16:23
Mostly everything is in although I'm going to put in some last minute asparagus and some dwarf cherry trees. I'd wait till next year for the asparagus but it takes 3 years to harvest and as long as I get it in this week, I think we'll be ok.

Still working on the edible landscaping:

Replanted the blueberries that died last year and they seem to be going good. Added blackberries, almond trees, hazel nuts, pear trees, sunflowers, mint, beebalm, lavendar, plus an extensive herb garden and lots of veggies. Built 5 8'x4' garden boxes this year..hope to have 15 of them within 2 more years and go completely with that. For now, I have the five boxes, a probably 20x30 spot, plus some squash and pumpkins planted in a fence row.

There's also rhubarb, strawberries, apples, crab apples, wild grapes, wild raspberries, mulberries, poke weed, lambsquarters, dandelions and roses on the property.

The laying hens I got last year are doing good and my bees just arrived last week.

I'm getting to the end of what I'm going to add. I have some trees to take out this year along the back fence row and I'm going to replace them with dwarf pecans and if I can hunt them down, I've heard rumors of a winter-hardy olive trees. I also want to try some wine grapes next year. From the fauna side, I'm going to go with either meat chickens or rabbits next year.

Today, I just planted regular old flowers. :)

Btw..all of the above is on 1 acre.

snare
06-03-10, 19:26
Lettuces:
Bronze Mignonette
Buttercrunch

Tomatoes:
Rutgers
Amish Paste
Cherokee Purple

Yellow Crookneck Squash

Georgia Collards

Fordhook and Red Chards

Kentucky Wonder Beans

Okra

Peppers

Genovese Basil

Rosa Bianca Eggplant

Detroit Red Beets

and others.

lecyad
06-05-10, 18:38
replacing palms i lost from the freeze in Miami this year. yeah i said freeze in miami i guess global warming is not world wide.

arbninftry
06-10-10, 16:56
When I started this thread, that was the last time I have had rain here. I could not grow anything this summer other than tumbleweeds!:mad:

PA PATRIOT
06-12-10, 21:06
All my plants went wild growth wise with the good rain and mild temperatures in my area, could be one of my best years ever as long as a prolonged heat wave does not screw things up.

hatidua
06-12-10, 21:15
lettuce/kale/carrots/six kinds of tomato/squash/peppers/zukes.

Nathan_Bell
06-15-10, 07:36
Monsoon weather took out garden again. So I have about a dozen tomato plants in tubs, about the same for peppers, and cabbage is in a flower bed.
Onions were above the break point so they are doing great. Potatoes were right at the break point so about 15 plants left there. The rest got washed out or rotted under ground.

New location for garden next year., just have to get one stump out of the way and it will be flat as a pancake and a bit better drained than old location.

white spaniard
06-20-10, 10:09
This year was my first year gardening I grew tomatoes (heat wave, bin 444, heirloom and cherry)
Okra, big Jim peppers, cucumber, and eggplant. Everything is growing good but unfortunately blister beetles destroyed most of my tomatoes:mad:.

PA PATRIOT
06-20-10, 13:28
So far having a banner year growth wise with the garden, If the current heat wave doesn't damage the plants then I should have my first crop in a few weeks.

larryp
06-21-10, 19:35
We're having a cold wet year here in NW MT. Temps are in the mid 40's to mid 50's the past week and rain almost every day. I held off planting until the first weekend of June due to frost worries and it was a good thing I did as we had frost in late May( and snow on cinco de mayo). Not having to do much watering needless to say. We have corn, bell peppers, tomatoes, cabbage, cantalope, peas, beets, pole beans, and spaghetti squash.

rsgard
06-22-10, 01:35
Lets see:

Crooked Neck Squash 2x
Habanero Pepper 1x
Cayenne Pepper 4x
Bell Pepper 2x
Tomato 4x
Sugar Snap Peas 6x
Green Beans 6x
Lettuce 10x
Carrots ?

Roy
06-30-10, 21:16
Finallay got my OWN place... im on Just over Two acres.. im surrounded by lowlands that flood.. and i have a thick canopy over 90% of my property.. what do you guys think would be good to plant with low sunlight getting to the ground?

THCDDM4
07-07-10, 16:41
-Carrots (multiple types)
-Potatoes (Multiple Types)
-Onions (Mutliple Types)
-Corn (Multiple types including oaxacin maze)
-Snap Peas
-Bell Peppers
-Jalepeno Peppers
-Serrano Peppers
-Purple Super Hot Peppers
-cucumber (multiple types)
-string/green beans
-Waldo peas
-brocolli
-Lettuce (MULTIPLE types)
-Mixed Baby Greens
-Spinach
-grapes (Tons of varieties)
-Worm Wood
-Tomatoes (All sorts)
-anise
-Fennel
-garlic
-Shallots
-basil
-oregano
-mustard seed
-strawberries (All types)
-Blueberries (All types)
-Blackberries
-lemons
-limes
-peaches
-oranges
-Mangos
-Advacado
-Plums
-Apples (7 types)
-soy
-barley (2-row and 6-row)
-Hops (So many types!)
-watermelons
-Squash
-zuchinni

Some in the greenhouse, most outdoors, vitually all are heirloom; why buy anything else? Bullshit non-reapeating seeds!!!!!!

During harvest season I make my version of a "country wine" using every single fermentable I have at my disposal in one or two huge batches, and man are they complex, and tasty as hell; not to mention strong as shit!

hatidua
07-09-10, 21:49
-Mangos

In CO? -that's impressive!

THCDDM4
07-15-10, 09:15
Hatidua:
Thank you, it was/is quite an undertaking.
I have a special section all closed off in my greenhouse (Which is really a "clean-room" that is a greenhouse). It took me so long to get the variables correct for them to thrive; about 5 years of tooling around. I love mangos so much; I had to find a way to grow them myself.

07-16-10, 09:47
Lots of deer.

Naxet1959
07-16-10, 10:26
First time for me... started with seeds. Corn, radishes, peas, carrots, squash, onions. Its a small plot in my back yard, this is my starter, experimental version. Next year I'll turn it into square foot gardening. Great learning this year though...:)